Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 22nd, 2017, 7:28am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Union Pacific Picture Thread!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   North American Railroads
   UP Discussion
(Moderators: zwsplac, Mark_Foster)
   Union Pacific Picture Thread!
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  ...  16 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Union Pacific Picture Thread!  (Read 10851 times)
CALZEPHYR
Railfan
View Profile  

Re: Union Pacific Picture Thread!

« Reply #120 on: Nov 9th, 2007, 10:42am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Nov 7th, 2007, 9:12pm, zwsplac wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I'm not sure if the route was ever double track, but I doubt it. I think the portals were built that big. 5 of the 6 tunnels in that section looked about wide enough for double track, it just seemed to be UP's style through here to build very large tunnels. For the most part, aside from some areas where track got washed out, this line is straight from the 50's as far as infrastructure, especially signals.

As far as I am aware, the route has always been single tracked, but the large tunnels would seem to indicate they might have planned ahead for future expansion.  

After looking at the book Union Pacific Salt Lake Route by Hemphill, I read that the tunnels were enlarged in the 1927 to 28 era but the double track was never needed.  The sidings were extended  to 8800 feet or longer in 1986 era to handle long trains of the modern era.

Thanks again.

Cheers    

« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2007, 10:44am by CALZEPHYR » Logged
zwsplac
Historian

« Reply #121 on: Nov 9th, 2007, 1:43pm »

Actually not all the sidings were extended to 8800' feet or longer, only one about every 15 miles or so. Most of them are in the 6000-7000 range. Aside from the stack trains and coal trains, most of the trains are fairly short through here.

South of Las Vegas, the sidings are typically even shorter, with the typical length being around 5700-6000 and longer ones only around 8000. Every once in a while they'll run a 10000' stack train through, and I can only imagine how fun that one is to run.

Editor of frograil.com's Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska Railfan Pages
Visit them at frograil.com

zwsplac
Historian
  up4621_lasvegas2.jpg - 110180 Bytes
« Reply #122 on: Nov 21st, 2007, 9:45pm »

Decided to upload a quick shot I took today. I've been meaning to take this one for a while, and finally got around to it this afternoon. This is CP Tropicana, and is 1 mile east of my apartment. Soon, however, I till be moving to another apartment.

I'm headed for Tehachapi this weekend. Look for pics early next week!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/UP/up4621_lasvegas2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #123 on: Nov 22nd, 2007, 2:34pm »

That's an awsome picture. I love how you'd worked the background in with it. Very creative.
KB3PQD signing out
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone

www.youtube.com/user/railfanentertainment
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

UP_4012_Night.jpg - 64685 Bytes
« Reply #124 on: Nov 22nd, 2007, 7:52pm »

Caught UP #4012 in Scranton, PA.
CHESSIEMIKE

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/UP/UP_4012_Night.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #125 on: Nov 23rd, 2007, 9:57am »

on Nov 22nd, 2007, 7:52pm, CHESSIEMIKE wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Caught UP #4012 in Scranton, PA.
CHESSIEMIKE

One word. Nice .
KB3PQD signing out

www.youtube.com/user/railfanentertainment
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

4014-1.jpg - 22765 Bytes
« Reply #126 on: Nov 23rd, 2007, 12:32pm »

Hi Chessimike;

Great shot, but you have me curious. How did they get that smoke and steam around 4012 ? At any rate the old girl looks great. Almost as good as 4014 at the Los Angeles Fair Grounds.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/UP/4014-1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2007, 12:34pm by Pennsy » Logged

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #127 on: Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:56pm »

on Nov 23rd, 2007, 12:32pm, Pennsy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi Chessimike;

Great shot, but you have me curious. How did they get that smoke and steam around 4012 ? At any rate the old girl looks great. Almost as good as 4014 at the Los Angeles Fair Grounds.
Oh, we did not have anything better to do one night so we filled the boiler with water and lit off a fire in the firebox. We were going to make a run out on the Mainline but could not find enough cars in the yard to give the old girl a work out. Ok, back to reality. It's amazing how well a few properly placed smoke bombs look under cover of darkness. This was a staged shot at Steamtown for their Lackawanna Weekend event.
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #128 on: Nov 24th, 2007, 10:45am »

Hi,

Very effective. Another trick I have heard of is to place old car and truck tires in the firebox and set them on fire. Real black smoke will make it look as if the engine is working really hard. Some clubs have done that and pushed the "dead" engine from behind. Looks as though the engine is really under steam and working hard.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
zwsplac
Historian

« Reply #129 on: Nov 26th, 2007, 10:57am »

As promised here are some of my Tehachapi photos from last weekend. I spent parts of 3 days on Tehachapi, and had a great time. Since it's a joint line, some more pictures can be found in the BSNF Picture Thread.

First shot of the day, right before sunrise at Mojave, CA. I left Las Vegas at 230 AM to get here at first light after a nearly 4 hour drive.

Later on the first day we have a UP intermodal grinding through one of the horseshoes at Allard.

I didn't photo any UP's on the second day, but on the third I caught this manifest winding through Marcel. You can see the helpers in the upper left.

Hope you enjoyed. I'll be returning here often in the future! It's a truly amazing area.

zwsplac
Historian

« Reply #130 on: Dec 31st, 2007, 2:42pm »

Time for a last couple shots before the new year. It's been a productive year of railfanning, with the promise of far more to come!

I went out last weekend and caught a few trains around Las Vegas. First up is a ballast train and cement train meeting at Jean, NV.  

I followed the cement train north and fired this next shot from 2 miles away as it wound through Sloan. The cement trains used to run with a set of 4 SD60Ms. They now run with a set of 4 SD70ACes, and likely will forever as UP gets an emission credit from CA for using cleaner locos. That explains why we get so many ACe's, GEVOS and 70Ms through here, not that I'm complaining.

One last shot shows a westbound manifest meeting ZLADV, the hottest train on the entire LA&SL. Unfortunately, in a case of bad dispatching, it had to hold for the manifest to get past.

zwsplac
Historian

« Reply #131 on: Jan 29th, 2008, 6:02pm »

Due to the large mudslide in Oregon on the UP, Las Vegas has been hosting a couple of extra trains each day. But these aren't your run of the mill manifests. UP is rerouting many of its Z trains through Las Vegas, and I've been making sure to catch as many as I can.  

First shot is ZLADV, a normal denizen of the LA&SL. It has just met ZBRLCD at Sloan. On this day, all 3 Z trains showed up within minutes of each other, and were followed by a hot autorack train.

My second shot is of ZBRLCD passing under I15 south of Las Vegas. Behind me is ZLCSED in the siding. Two of the hottest trains on the UP, rerouted through Vegas, and I was able to catch the meet. After this ZBRLCD took off, leaving me in the dust!

Charlie_O
Historian
  UP_5217_Tucson.jpg - 69845 Bytes
« Reply #132 on: Feb 11th, 2008, 9:30pm »

Greetings from Tucson. Arrived this afternoon and saw this Flagship on the way in along I-10.  Flag a bit tattered for such a recent scheme.
-Charlie

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/UP/UP_5217_Tucson.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2008, 9:34pm by Charlie_O » Logged

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
co_riff
Historian

« Reply #133 on: Feb 27th, 2008, 10:38am »

We are seeing alot more UP engines here on the NS WV Sec.
Curtis

zwsplac
Historian

« Reply #134 on: Feb 28th, 2008, 10:54am »

Time for your Thursday Heritage Unit fix!

UP 1988 in Valley Yard at Las Vegas on 2/27

SP 8578 and another ex-SP (or maybe SSW) vet sitting just north of Valley Yard.

765 fan
Historian

« Reply #135 on: Feb 28th, 2008, 4:10pm »

Hey zwsplac, I think that second unit behind the Katy unit is a ex-CNW enigne. Looks like it still has it's AC box painted in CNW green.

Head manager of the Chicagoland Railroad.

Pay attention to life, it will surprise you.

When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and make everyone wonder how the hell did you do that!?!
zwsplac
Historian

« Reply #136 on: Feb 29th, 2008, 12:45pm »

on Feb 28th, 2008, 4:10pm, 765 fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey zwsplac, I think that second unit behind the Katy unit is a ex-CNW enigne. Looks like it still has it's AC box painted in CNW green.

While the AC box is indeed from a CNW painted loco, this locomotive is not of CNW heritage as they didn't have any C40-8Ws. That part is fairly interchangeable between units. It is very common to see BNSF H2 dash 9s with warbonnet AC boxes. However, this is the first time I've seen one from a dash 9 on a dash 8.

zwsplac
Historian

« Reply #137 on: Mar 3rd, 2008, 12:25pm »

A few pictures I took while railfanning north of Las Vegas last Saturday.

UP 7180 exiting the Meadow Valley Wash at Farrier.

UP 4807 leading an intermodal into Moapa while passing a coal train heading into the power plant.

UP 7721 leading ballast train WMFHLB at Farrier once again. He has just met detour intermodal train ZLCSED.

zwsplac
Historian

« Reply #138 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 2:42pm »

The LA&SL has been getting quite a few trains lately, with lots of reroutes due to derailments and trackwork on the Sunset and Golden State Routes respectively. Last Wednesday, a lineup forwarded to me had 59 trains lined up for Las Vegas in the next 24 hours. Since I was ahead on hours at work, I was permitted to take off from work early to go train watching. I caught 10 trains in 4 hours. Every siding around Las Vegas was full. Here's  a couple shots that I grabbed.

My first stop was the Las Vegas Yard Office to see what was going on. I got there right as ZLADV arrived. Two coal trains are tied down, so as you can see, it was a full house.

I headed north out of Las Vegas, eventually settling down at an open spot north of Valley Yard. My second to last train of the day was ISCLB, seen here heading into town.

zwsplac
Historian

« Reply #139 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 2:56pm »

I headed out again last Saturday, deciding to take advantage of increased traffic by heading up to the canyons north of Las Vegas. I didn't check my email before leaving, but another lineup was in my inbox today. 75 trains were supposed to hit Las Vegas in the next 48 hours! Incredibly, in the 16 hours I was out and about, I only saw 15 trains, though I know I missed some where I had to travel away from the tracks. Congestion played a role in the train count, as several usually reliable trains never did show up while I was at the tracks. However, 15 trains is plenty to keep me busy. I shot a number of pictures in some terrific scenery, and here are a couple to share here.

My first train in daylight I caught at Leith Siding. I chased this one for 40+ miles through the canyons with my windows rolled down despite the 34 degree temps, listening to the throbbing of prime movers echoing off the walls.

Nearing the end of the chase, I found a spot where the northbound train was well-lit by the morning sun at Etna.  

I chased the next train west, a grainer pulled by UP 7061. Here it is creeping through Stine's towering canyon. Beautiful sky! Best color I've ever gotten on digital.

After battling a slowdown in traffic and rainstorms, the day turned beautiful once more. Chasing a BNSF led coal train out of Caliente yielded this shot at Boyd.

Heading back to Caliente for gas and supper, I caught two more trains. The most notable was this detour autoracker, which I caught at Etna. This is looking the opposite direction from where the earlier Etna shot was taken. Note the rain falling in the sky.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  ...  16 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »