Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 20th, 2017, 11:31pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Defect Detector Calls and Finding a Train Based on Track
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   North American Railroads
   UP Discussion
(Moderators: zwsplac, Mark_Foster)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Defect Detector Calls and Finding a Train Based on Track  (Read 163 times)
j3rsdm5
TRAINing
View Profile  

« on: Jul 16th, 2015, 2:37pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hello!
I am a new railfan in UP territory. I need some help with finding trains. I use railroad radio.net to help me listen to radio calls, and the FRA map to locate mileposts. Unfortunately, there are only ABS (automatic block) signals where I can railfan, so I rely on defect detectors. There are 2 defect detectors, both in different places but both on milepost 929.5 (one on the Gila sub and the other on  Phoenix. I can only railfan on the Phoenix). The defect detectors call track number, so how can I know which track is which? Is it organized by left to right? Thank you!

George_Harris
Historian
Re: Defect Detector Calls and Finding a Train Based on Track

« Reply #1 on: Jul 17th, 2015, 2:28pm »

There are some things that do not compute here.  Why does track number matter?  Phoenix Sub is single track anyway if I recall correctly.  The Gila sub now had two track due to the extensive double tracking program by UP, but if you are thinking track number for the sake of determining train direction, understand that both tracks are signaled for operation in both directions.  The Gila Sub is also CTC.  

I also note that this is your first and only post and that you are hiding any information about yourself.  What goes on here?

j3rsdm5
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Jul 17th, 2015, 5:39pm »

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough. I can only railfan on a long stretch of diagonal track, by Topgolf Gilbert. I am trying to find a map of some sort that would help me clearly identify the subs.  

The thing is, I know that when you're facing north track 1 and 2 are side by side left to right. I also know that the Gila sub is CTC. It's only ABS where I can go. The defect detector makes calls in this format:

"UP Detector: Milepost xxx.x, Track X, total axles xxx, speed xx M P H, Temperature xx, detector out.  

The problem: there are two defect detectors. Each one is on a milepost labeled 929.5 on different sections of track miles apart. What I'm trying to figure out is if I can use the "track x" part to determine where the train actually is. I don't know if it's possible, but it's the only thing I can think of to help.  

Sorry for the confusion! Have a great day!  

j3rsdm5
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Jul 17th, 2015, 5:41pm »

Oh, about the account thing. It's my first and only post, because I just signed up. (so I could get help)

Dogoth
Enthusiast
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #4 on: Nov 20th, 2016, 8:48pm »

I'll respond with what little knowledge I have. As a rule (not an absolute), rail traffic runs like British roads (the left track going forward depending on your perspective). As stated either track can be tasked for either direction but for the sake of continuity they try to stick to this rule. When trains run on the opposite rails (as an American highway) they often call it diverging traffic. When a train crosses over into diverging traffic it is usually broadcasted on the road channel. The term "diverging" can mean leaving the main for a siding/spur as well (hence "converging" means entering the main).

Detectors usually call out when a train first begins to pass over them and again after they have passed. Some give detailed info such as hot axles location, number of axles, train speed, ambient temperature etc....., Some only report a train is present. I have noticed that (since detectors are purposefully low wattage transmitters), I get a stronger signal when the train is not blocking the transmission. I often park between two detectors (single track) and can usually tell a trains direction by the signal quality between the first report and the second.

Any rail guys that want to correct me on this, feel free. Like I said, my knowledge is limited and I don't like to spread disinformation.

Hope this helps

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »