Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 25th, 2017, 11:33pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Jobs/Process
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Transit and Commuter
   General Subway, Transit and Commuter
(Moderators: NYC_Subway_Fan, ge_genesis, )
   Jobs/Process
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Jobs/Process  (Read 108 times)
iMikeyy
TRAINing
View Profile  

Jobs/Process

« on: Mar 23rd, 2012, 3:51pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I wasn't sure where to post something like this, and I've been lurking around for a few months on here, so I thought I'd give this a go.  

I've been a daily Bart rider forever, and ever since I was a kid I was a total train nerd. I've been waiting on e Bart website for the TO position to open so I could apply. It's been like a dream job for me since I was a kid. Not because of the perks or anything, I would do this for free lol. But my question is, when the position opens (if ever), what is the process behind the hiring? I'm almost 20 (may) and I've been working retail since I was 18. Does that satisfy any requirements? How will they weed through all the applicants? Does everybody get a shot at taking an entry exam?  

I'm also going to community college to get transfer credits, is there any degree that would help out my resume that I could persue? My ultimate goal is to be an operator for any light rail/rapid transit or even a train engineer. Thank you for your time.    

Also I didn't really search around before posting, so if there is anything I missed on the site where this has been asked already then I'd be more than happy to take a look at that.

NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Re: Jobs/Process

« Reply #1 on: Mar 26th, 2012, 2:15pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Generally, in transit, you hire on as a lowly worker and move up. In any unionized job, the top holding seniority guys or gals get the top pic of the higher/est paying jobs, like that which you are seeking. There is rarely a way to just walk in and say "I want to be an operator". If the system operates bus service, you also generally have to qualify there first before you get to rail...and a CDL can be helpful in getting a bus drivers position, though some companies offer the classes for that.

All said and done, there is little chance of  you walking in the door and getting an operators job, on the spot. Check with their union, that would be the first step I would take. Then contact their Human Resources to see if they are hiring in any position, to get your foot in the door.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »