Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 16th, 2017, 4:09pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

SMART - North Peninsula San Francisco Bay
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Transit and Commuter
   General Subway, Transit and Commuter
(Moderators: NYC_Subway_Fan, ge_genesis, )
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: SMART - North Peninsula San Francisco Bay  (Read 315 times)
George_Harris
Historian

« on: Dec 15th, 2010, 10:02pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Little noitced in all the other hoopla, in the 2008 general election, Sonoma and Marin Counties in California passed Measure Q.  Measure Q is a 1/4 percent sales tax to fund restoration of 70 miles of the ex Northwestern Pacific for commuter service.  It was approved by 70% of the voters.

The segment runs from a ferry terminal at larkspur through Novato, Petaluma, Santa Rosa to Cloverdale, whch is near the northern boundary of Sonoma County.  It will have a single track railroad and parallel bike path.  

The plan is to have a very basic track structure of 115 lb/yd rail on wood ties., with the trains being DMU's.  There will incidental freight traffic, the trains operated by the North Coast Railroad Authority (NCRA), which I think is the owner of the railroad.    

They have a web site that has quite a bit of information.  It is www.sonomamarintrain.org  

Estimated cost is "about $590 million"  

From the site:
Quote:
The SMART train and pathway project will provide the backbone of a transportation system that ties existing transit systems such as buses and ferries along with future options such as shuttles and trollies into a seamless network that creates true transportation options for North Bay residents. Without that backbone, a congested Highway 101 will remain the only viable alternative for north-south travel in the two counties.

It is intended to have part of the line in service in 2014.  One piece that has alread been done is clearing and relining the 1100 feet long Cal Park Hill Tunnel which is just north of larkspur.  It was double track.  It is now set up to have one side as a bike path with the other side for the trains, wit a full height wall in between.  It was recently opened for bike traffic.  At this point there is nothing in the rail side.

« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2010, 11:26pm by George_Harris » Logged
Norm_Anderson
Historian
Re: SMART - North Peninsula San Francisco Bay

« Reply #1 on: Dec 15th, 2010, 10:42pm »

George, this is very interesting.  Thank you for the heads-up.

Do you have a guess as to how accurate that $590 million figure might be?  It sounds almost too good to be true.  My 1956 Guide lists San Rafael as mp 17.0 on the old NWP, and Cloverdale as mp 85.2.  (I'm not sure how many miles it was/is from San Rafael to Larkspur.)  But I'm guessing it's about 70-75 miles total from Larkspur to Cloverdale, so that works out to about $8 million per mile, give or take.  Contrast that to the almost $1 Billion to be spent by the good Burghers in the Twin Cities for an 11-mile light rail line linking the two downtowns...

When I was growing up in suburban LA, our family would take annual vacations to the Humboldt coast, so this area holds many fond and nostalgic memories for me.  I actually rode the NWP from Willits to Eureka in the mid-1960s (on parent SP's only RDC), and I was always a bit wistful that I never had the chance to ride the NWP from end-to-end-- by the time I got there, everything south of Willits was served by Greyhound bus.

It looks like NCRA has its eyes on eventually reopening the entire line, all the way to Arcata.  The portion between Larkspur and Cloverdale will be the easiest to open-- from Cloverdale, the farther north you go, the greater the challenges become.  But they are playing up the "green" angle, touting the energy savings of freight by rail, as well as the potential to relieve truck congestion on Highway 101.  How much of that is blue-sky rhetoric, I'll leave to others to judge.

For now, it is good to see that at least part of the line may yet carry people again.

Regards,

Norm

P.S.  If the link above seemed not to work, try this one:  http://www.sonomamarintrain.org

« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2010, 10:44pm by Norm_Anderson » Logged
George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Dec 15th, 2010, 11:36pm »

Norm:

Looks like I had a finger studder and put two m's in the marin part of the web address.  I have corrected that.

Don't know about the accuracy of the cost estimae, and am too close to the isssue to comment on it (both geographicall and professionally) if I did.

They are trying to do this at minimal cost.  The objectinve is to basically do a brush clearing, minimal roadbed clearing/cleaning and put down new subballast, ballast, wood ties, tie plates of course, and rail.  The bridges will be inspected and their condition analyzed, and reused or strengthened, and replaced only if all else fails.  

If the NIMBY's don't go on the attack against the project, it might be done.  Even if the cost estimate is not hit, it should still be about as low cost as can be done here.  

Think of the Nashville and Eastern upgrade between Nashville and Lebanon:  This was done for not much over one million per mile, and that was taking a 10 to 25 mph railroad in jointed rail and upgrading to 60 mph, including replacing all the less than 100 lb/yd rail with 132 lb/yd.

« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2010, 11:37pm by George_Harris » Logged
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Dec 16th, 2010, 9:28am »

on Dec 15th, 2010, 10:42pm, Norm_Anderson wrote:       (Click here for original message)
...But they are playing up the "green" angle, touting the energy savings of freight by rail, as well as the potential to relieve truck congestion on Highway 101.  How much of that is blue-sky rhetoric, I'll leave to others to judge...    

Norm - George - All -  

How to say without getting all rankled? That is standard "last resort of scoundrels" boiler plate in any current day proposals,  
in "...securing fair share..." of Free Lunch Money. It has as much veracity as ridership projections! None of all the paperwork  
must be signed under oath, with threat of penalty of perjury, AFAIK...

Much of it is junk science. A near empty schedule (whether rail or highway) is no where close to cost efficiencies of alternatives...  
The "truck congestion" point is entirely nonsense, made only by those naive in how cargo moves, or the character of the markets...

.....................Vern....................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Dec 17th, 2010, 8:30pm »

They have now selected a veicle supplier. There is an announcement in the online edition of Railway Age:
www.railwayage.com/breaking-news/sumitomo-nippon-sharyo-tapped-by-smart-for-dmus.html/
Quoting the first paragraph from the Railway Age website:

Quote:
SMART taps Sumitomo/Nippon Sharyo for DMUs  
Thursday, December 16, 2010

Sumitomo Corp. of America announced Thursday that, in conjunction with its carbuilder partner Nippon Sharyo, it has been awarded a contract from Sonoma Marin Area Rail Transit District (SMART) to supply 18 diesel multiple-unit (DMU) railcars for use in California’s Sonoma and Marin counties, north of San Francisco.

Other points of information:  
Contract price: $57 million
Delivery: Late 2013 early 2014  

There is a set of plan-profile drawings on their web site.  I have downloaded and printed, as I have a semi-legitimate reason to do so.  Be warned:  The file size is HUGE.  116MB.

Les_Shepherd
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Dec 18th, 2010, 5:46am »

It is good to see this kind of development. Sadly we seem to moving in the opposite direction here.

I have not seen any rolling stock from Sumitomo or Nippon-Sharyo for a long time. I suspect that the exterior appearance of the cars will be distinctly japanese.

Most of the DMU contracts here are local consortiums using a combination of japanese and european sources for various components with a preference for the european technology. It seems to suit our conditions better.

From George's reports no time is being lost in progressing with this project. It makes me look forward to another visit to San Francisco.

The use of timber ties should not be a problem where the axle loads will be relatively light but will the rail be welded or jointed? Even with lightish rail welding will give a better ride.

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Dec 18th, 2010, 11:27am »

George -

Thanks! Recall the waves of horror when the Colorado builder closed its doors. With it, widely feared,  
an end to a DMU source. Good to see we have some interest in the vendor you noted.

Beats me why the District needs eighteen (18) cars. A triumph of hope and imagination over everyday  
operating realities? There remains the little problem of getting people between Bayside Marin and the  
City. So much for "single seat convenience" rides?...

........................Vern...................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Dec 18th, 2010, 10:03pm »

on Dec 18th, 2010, 5:46am, Les_Shepherd wrote:       (Click here for original message)
From George's reports no time is being lost in progressing with this project. It makes me look forward to another visit to San Francisco.

The use of timber ties should not be a problem where the axle loads will be relatively light but will the rail be welded or jointed? Even with lightish rail welding will give a better ride.

I think it is a revival of the near dead.  Just checked the date on some of the reports and they are dated 2003.  

The likely reason can be found in the political tilt of this part of California.  This area is a major center of political liberalism, so these people will pull the lever for democratic candidates almost automatically.  

I would anticipate welded rail.  Probably 115RE (57 kg/m), as that is the most commonly used section in transit systems in this country.  A properly specified wood tie should have a life of somewhere above 30 years.  If traffic density is light, and it probably will be, and the climate is relatively dry, and it is here, I would not be surprised if the average life does not get to 40 years.

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Dec 19th, 2010, 8:58am »

George -  

Your cranky correspondent still has reservations about all of it. Alas, the "good side" is we should see some decent DMU cars,  
which can be used near anywhere. This ain't our grandfather's ESPEE!

And, yes, treated wood ties will do just fine in the climate. Where did this "off the walls" nonsense ever start, with concrete ties  
as "factory standard" for even the lightest of lines?

........................Vern......................

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Dec 19th, 2010, 9:56pm »

on Dec 19th, 2010, 8:58am, HwyHaulier wrote:       (Click here for original message)
And, yes, treated wood ties will do just fine in the climate. Where did this "off the walls" nonsense ever start, with concrete ties as "factory standard" for even the lightest of lines?

........................Vern......................

For ordinary ties, the difference is not that great anymore.  Don't forget to add tie plates to the cost of the wood ties.  Also part of the difference is balanced by setting the wood ties at 19.5 to 21 inch spacing and the concrete ties normally at 24 inch spacing.  Which, aside from other things, reduces the number of tamper feet insertions per mile.  

For switch ties, it is a completely different story.  I do not have good numbers, but I would suspect that concrete switch ties would be about double the cost of wood switch ties.  

I am unconvinced that there is any real advantage to using concrete ties, but that is heresy in the current rail and transit world.  I am enough of heretic on quite a few other things that I regard as being of greater significance, so this one I leave alone.

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Dec 20th, 2010, 9:29am »

George -

SIGH! You noted, of the concrete v. wood tie debates, "...heresy in the current rail and transit world...". BAH!  
Better to get to the mission statements, where proponents are charged with burning through any possible and  
available taxpayer dollar? In any event, I have heard of no new, proposed Power Plant, dependent on Old King  
Coal, in Marin or Sonoma Counties. So, where potential "tonnage train" moves to challenge the railbeds?

The wishful thinking about "truck congestion" on local road and streets is entirely misunderstood. Typical  
"truck" traffic seen with the "Brown Car" and other package carriers. The bakery and beverage trucks to  
local grocers and convenience stores. Myriad small shipments to retail establishments (new fashions at the  
malls). Yes, there are a number of heavier loading directly to construction sites. Besides that, the potential  
"overhead traffic" moving via USH-101 is not notable. It's just applied geography at work (On the latter, preferred  
routing typically Oakland, Vallejo, and I-80 beyond.)...

........................Vern........................

Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Dec 22nd, 2010, 11:03pm »

Wonder if the old NWP ever used Redwood ties??  Now, that'd raise a few eyebrows in Sacramento these days . . .

I am pretty sure the NWP's original raison d'etre was as a Redwood hauler (picture a single tree-trunk sliced into thirty-five-foot lengths and loaded onto six or eight flatcars-- one section of trunk per car).  In those days, everything north of Santa Rosa was pretty much wilderness, and the railroad was a fairly direct connection between the port of Eureka/Arcata and the San Francisco Bay (the trains could probably outrun the steamships).

With today's political climate in California, freight-by-rail might not need to make economic sense-- more likely, all they'd have to do is prove that rail releases fewer pounds of CO2 per ton-mile than trucks, and, voila!  Gotta save them cute li'l polar bear cubs, you know . . .

Regards,

Norm

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #12 on: Dec 23rd, 2010, 7:31am »

Norm -  

Seems to me you have N W P, The Old Days, accurately recalled. I have (what is I guess) a Howell-North volume,  
bought four decades back. It recalled A T S F history in California. There was an era of trains on tracks bickering  
between SFe and the ESPEE crowd. A result was SFe identified structures up on the North Coast.

IMHO, a sure thing that there were stretches of rail put in, and reliant on Redwood ties. Likely remarked upon in  
some of the published histories.

Fast forward to remark on current day "basis and justification" in consideration of rail? We have a lot of folks who  
are strong on junk science, and rely heavily on carefully selected facts to make their cases. Somehow, completely  
overlooked that rail freight is a tonnage driven concept. Simply: Should a line not have steady and heavy tonnages,  
any advantages don't appear. Which is why I relied on an example; doubtful we will ever see heavy moves, inbound  
coal to power plants. There's also the obvious, of endless miles of the bleached bones of abandoned branch lines,  
at points throughout the US...

Ah, well! For the time being, back to the Christmas - Holidays - Seasonal demands. A Merry Whatever It Is To All! <G>  

.......................Vern.....................

Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #13 on: Dec 23rd, 2010, 9:47am »

on Dec 23rd, 2010, 7:31am, HwyHaulier wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Ah, well! For the time being, back to the Christmas - Holidays - Seasonal demands. A Merry Whatever It Is To All! <G>  

.......................Vern.....................

A local radio station here, for several years, relied on the slogan,  "Happy HanuRamaKwanzMas!"

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Dec 23rd, 2010, 9:55am »

on Dec 23rd, 2010, 9:47am, Norm_Anderson wrote:       (Click here for original message)
...A local radio station here, for several years, relied on the slogan,  "Happy HanuRamaKwanzMas!"  

Norm -

Correct and appropriate response being, GESUNDHEIT!? <G>

..........................Vern......................

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #15 on: Dec 23rd, 2010, 9:47pm »

And for those that remember Dickens:  Ho, Ho, Ho, and a Bah Humbug.

Les_Shepherd
Historian

« Reply #16 on: Dec 24th, 2010, 4:51am »

on Dec 23rd, 2010, 9:47pm, George_Harris wrote:       (Click here for original message)
And for those that remember Dickens:  Bah Humbug.

Bah Humbug indeed.
It is 8.30pm on Christmas Eve as I type this. I am at my beachhouse and have just watched the sun set in the west over the water. I am thinking of all those people around the world who are in real difficulties at the moment. Here are just a few:
The freezing conditions in Europe. Airports closed. Eurostar severly restricted and long queues in the open street around St Pancras station in London. Paris, Frankfurt, Brussels and other cities in severe difficulties. I have friends presently in London and they are stuck in a small serviced apartment and barely able to get out to buy food.
Summer has missed us in Australia. There have been heavy rains and floods. Many towns are waiting for flood peaks from heavy rains 3 weeks ago. Just today, far north Queensland coast had 4 inches in 9 hours. All of this has ruined the grain crops which were beginning to be harvested. Many Christmas fruits are in short suppy or almost non existent. All of this, and in Sydney we had to endure a royal tour by Oprah.
North America has had its own cold weather, but like Asia seems to be handling it better.
So much for global warming. Those cute little polar bears should be happy.
Then there was the tragedy last week of a boatload of refugees dashed onto rocks and drowned in heavy seas at Christmas Island in the Indian Ocean.

It makes one thankful for any small mercies received. Personally, over the last 2 weeks, I have had rounds of lunches and dinners with friends and colleagues which followed on from a professional conference the week before on the Gold Coast which I followed up with visits to some cousins who are in their 80's..

Whatever else happens, it will take a lot to spoil New Years eve in Sydney.

I do trust that all readers and contributors have a very happy and peaceful Christmas.

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #17 on: Jan 25th, 2015, 7:44pm »

Even though elsewhere, I decided this really belonged here.

Latest contract letting press release:  

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/SMART-Awards-Key-Construction-Contract.html?soid=1102065004441&aid=mNg4HT_SoI4  

Also as a pdf:   http://origin.library.constantcontact.com/download/get/file/1102065004441-64/SMART+Awards+Key+Construction+Contract.pdf  

For those that do not want to search it out, here it is, leaving out some of the "how great and wonderful we are" stuff in the middle of it:  

Quote:
For Immediate Release:  November 20, 2013  
SMART Awards Key Construction Contract  

Petaluma, CA - Sonoma Marin Area Rail Transit (SMART) announced today that it has selected Shimmick Construction Company as the design-build contractor for its next major construction contract. The $68.7 million contract includes several key elements of the continuing work on Phase 1 of the rail and pathway project:  

•  Design and construction of track from Civic Center Drive to the downtown station site in San Rafael  
•  Strengthening of the Puerto Suello Tunnel in San Rafael  
•  Integration of the vehicular traffic control system in downtown San Rafael  
•  Installation of the rolling leaf bascule bridge to replace the existing Haystack Bridge over the Petaluma river  
•  Seven segments of the SMART Pathway in Sonoma and Marin that have completed environmental clearances, totaling approximately 3 ¼ miles  
•  Construction of the Operations & Maintenance Facility which will house vehicle storage and maintenance, dispatch and train operations and systems  
•  Station platform finishes - platform tops, access ramps and stairs, shelters, lighting, seating, etc.  
 "Progress has been rapid since we started construction in the summer of 2012," stated Judy Arnold, SMART board chair and president of the Marin County Board of Supervisors. "This contract will deliver most of the remaining infrastructure for starting service in 2016, and the board is especially pleased that like our first construction contract, the winning proposal is from another Bay Area contractor, delivering local jobs."  

Project progress to date includes track reconstruction from Santa Rosa to Petaluma, final steps for permits to continue track construction into Marin in the Spring, assembly in Illinois of the first train set due to start testing on the new tracks next year, signaling and communications systems design nearing completion with field installation beginning, and environmental mitigation requirements being met through the purchase of the Mira Monte Marina property within the project area.  
 . . . .  

Five qualified proposals were evaluated by a selection committee based first on technical criteria, and subsequently combined with pricing to produce a combined score based on the criteria described in the request for proposals. The top three firms, with proposals ranging from $74.3 to $82.5 million, were invited to participate in the Best and Final Offer step of the process.

The final award was to Shimmick Construction, Inc. an employee-owned firm based in Oakland.  How the contract amount was squeezed down to $68.7 million was not really explained.  

This contract appears to include a number of specific items of work at various locations, not a continuous length of track.  

The item of significance as an extension of discussion of the move in of the Galveston bridge to replace the existing Haystack Bridge over the Petaluma River in Petaluma.    

Other items mentioned were:  
 Design and construction of track from Civic Center Drive to the downtown station site in San Rafael  
 Strengthening of the Puerto Suello Tunnel in San Rafael  
 Building of a traffic control system in downtown San Rafael.  
 And several segments of bike path.    
 (gotta keep the bike riders happy.  They are a very noisy and politically potent force in this area.)  

It was stated that this is the last contract for the project.  

Work "could start as soon as February. Completion of the leg from San Rafael to Santa Rosa is expected in 2016."

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #18 on: Jan 25th, 2015, 7:58pm »

Update from SMART's web site:  (past and irrelevant items removed from quote)

Quote:
CURRENTLY SCHEDULED CONSTRUCTION ACTIVITIES:
Note:  Dates and times are current estimates and are subject to change as schedules are subject to weather and permitting conditions.  In general, work will occur in specific sections for a few days at a time, with more extended work periods at bridges.  General construction hours are between 7am and 7pm.  This page is updated weekly.

RIGHT-OF-WAY PREPARATION
Clearing of brush, trees and vegetation to comply with federally-required safety clearances for train operations.  
##Nov – Late Feb, 2015 | 3rd St. to 4th St., San Rafael: Excavation for stemwall foundation followed by concrete pour
##Early Jan – End of March, 2015 | Porto Suello Tunnel to North San Pedro Rd, San Rafael: Trim rock slopes followed by slope stabilization
##Mid Jan – Mid Feb, 2015 | Mission Ave. to north of Paloma Ave., San Rafael: Fence installed within SMART right-of-way on east and west side of property

TRACK RECONSTRUCTION
Removal of old track, ties and ballast; installation of new steel rail, concrete ties, ballast and track switches, rebuilding from the sub-grade up.
##Oct 13, 2014 – End of March 2015 | 3rd St. to south of Civic Center Dr. , San Rafael: Track reconstruction .
##Early Dec – Late Feb| Hamilton Parkway, Novato to Smith Ranch Road, San Rafael: Earthwork and grading and low retaining wall construction followed by track reconstruction
##Dec 28, 2014 – Late Feb, 2015 | North of Roblar Drive, Novato – Civic Center Drive, San Rafael: Rail sticks transport on SMART Right-of-Way south to Civic Center Drive
##Jan 6 – Feb 7, 2015 | South of Civic Center Dr, San Rafael: Low retaining wall construction
##Jan 14 – 31, 2015 | Haystack Bridge to Landing Way, Petaluma: Track removal followed by track reconstruction.
##Mid to Late Jan, 2015 | Mira Monte Marin, Sonoma County to Landing Way, Petaluma: Removal of track followed by grading and track construction
##Mid Jan – End of March, 2015 | 4th to Paloma, San Rafael: Track reconstruction
##Early to Late Feb, 2015 | North of Roblar Rd to Vintage Way, Novato: Track construction

GRADE CROSSING UPGRADES
Replacement of local road crossings at the track with concrete panels for improved passage by the walking, driving and biking public.  
##Jan – Feb, 2015 | The following crossings south of Civic Center Drive in San Rafael will be replaced beginning in January. Specific dates have been or will be posted once they are scheduled by SMART’s contractor:  
<<long list with times not included, as if you are not local it would be meaningless>>
##Jan – Feb, 2014 | Roadway medians will be installed/repaired to make railroad crossings “quiet zone ready” at the following locations:  
##1/24/2015 - Novato | Grant Ave
##2/3/2015   – Santa Rosa | West Steele Lane
##2/9/2015   - Santa Rosa | River Road
##2/18/2015 - Santa Rosa | Guerneville Rd. (repair existing median)
##2/24/2015 – Novato | Olive Ave
##2/25/2015 – Novato | Roblar Rd
##2/26/2015  - Penngrove | Main Street/Woodward Ave.
##2/27/2015 – Santa Rosa | Piner Road

PATHWAY
Bicycle/pedestrian Pathway construction, which links segments constructed by SMART with existing segments and other partner projects to create the SMART Pathway System.

TUNNELS
Improvement of existing railroad tunnel structures.
##Dec 29, 2014  - Late March, 2015 | Porto Suello Tunnel, San Rafael: Grouting tunnel interior, wall repair and installation of bolts

BRIDGES
Improvement or replacement of existing railroad bridge structures.
##Dec 29, 2014  - Oct, 2015  | Haystack Bridge, Petaluma: Grading around piers and abutments, concrete work and foundations, erect bridge, test bridge systems, cut-over to new bridge, removal of old bridge

SYSTEMS INFRASTRUCTURE
Installation of ductbank, conduit, fiber optic and other in-ground elements related to the communications and train control systems, within the SMART right-of-way. In addition, this includes the Operations and Maintenance Facility (OMF).
##Nov, 2014 – June 2015 | Operations and Maintenance Facility site, Airport Blvd., Santa Rosa: Utilities, site work, paving, track work, erect building, mechanical/electrical installation, landscape, fence, painting, placing of modular

Note the Bridge Replacement is the installation of the Galveston Lift Bridge at this site.  See discussion in infrastructure.

« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2015, 8:02pm by George_Harris » Logged
George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #19 on: Dec 7th, 2015, 11:36am »

The replacement "Haystack" Lift Bridge moved from Galveston is in place and a train has run over it.

http://www.masstransitmag.com/news/12123804/smart-marks-first-crossing-on-new-petaluma-river-bridge

Notice I haven't said much about what is going on up there.  They did end up using 115RE CWR on concrete ties for the track, which is rather interesting as at one point they were trying to cut costs to a bare minimum, skimping on ballast and everything else.  Yes this publication was back in October.  I have not been keeping fully on top of things the last few months.

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »