Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2017, 11:58am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Montreal Metro questions???????
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Transit and Commuter
   General Subway, Transit and Commuter
(Moderators: NYC_Subway_Fan, ge_genesis, )
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Montreal Metro questions???????  (Read 128 times)
nw1218
TRAINing
View Profile  

« on: Nov 29th, 2010, 7:33pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Montreal Metro's revenue lines are all underground having ridden the entire system. I was wondering if there are any yards that are outdoors and where is the yard? There must be outside access somewhere in order to get the cars onto the system from the builders.

In addition, the right of way seems to have 3rd rail on both sides of the tracks (a 3rd and 4th rail perhaps?) Unlike New York City, if you fall onto the tracks in Montreal, there is no pit to lie in where the train passes over you. If you fall in front of a Metro train, you are dead.

Are there any original cars still in service from when the system opened? Any further extensions planned?

George_Harris
Historian
Re: Montreal Metro questions???????
  QC-STM_GarageBeaugrand_20040706-132759_VoieEssai.jpg - 107282 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 4th, 2010, 7:13pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

The Montreal Metro is a rubber tire system copied closely or the same as thatg used in the Paris Metro.  The following picture is in the Widipedia article.  Based on the statements under the picture, I believe that it is permissible to copy to here.

Statements under picture are:   Quote:
I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby publish it under the following licenses:
 Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts.  
. . . . .
You are free:  to share – to copy, distribute and transmit the work

Note that the captions include the following:
Quote:
View of a track from a sandpile bumper-post showing the cross-section of guide ways, concrete rollways and conventional track.  
. . . .
Montréal Métro Beaugrand garage test track sandpile bumper post showing rubber-tyred metro track section with people indicating scale.

As to surface trackage in yards, I do not know, but I did not see any surface trackage in a stroll over the ends of the lines in the sattelite views found on the http://metrodemontreal.ca/en web site

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (1000x625, 107282 bytes)

Click Here to View Image QC-STM_GarageBeaugrand_20040706-132759_VoieEssai.jpg - 107282 Bytes

« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2010, 7:21pm by George_Harris » Logged
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »