Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2017, 11:37am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Maryland MARC commuter trains.
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Transit and Commuter
   General Subway, Transit and Commuter
(Moderators: NYC_Subway_Fan, ge_genesis, )
   Maryland MARC commuter trains.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Maryland MARC commuter trains.  (Read 348 times)
WH
Former Member
Re: Maryland MARC commuter trains.

« Reply #20 on: Jul 12th, 2010, 2:38pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Vern,

Was never around in the B&O days. I came along right at the end of the RDC era on MARC. IIRC, commuters received t-shirts on the train the day after the RDCs were retired reading "I survived the Budd Cars."  

I enjoy seeing pictures of the Budds as well as local pictures of B&O freight and passenger trains not to mention early MARC trains.

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #21 on: Jul 13th, 2010, 8:56am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

WH -  

I'll suppose the T Shirts done in some light hearted jest? The Budd Cars had remarkable service records...

The Cars are still in demand, for current upgrading to more capable power plants, and use on present day projects.  
Something like the classic, VW Type 1 "Beetle" autos?

IMHO, a high water mark on B&O? The line chose a three car set, for Phila. - Pittsburgh service. PRR played  
with the Aerotrain. When the B&O schedule didn't work out, there was other work for the equipment...

..........................Vern......................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
WH
Former Member

« Reply #22 on: Jul 13th, 2010, 11:22am »

Yes some light hearted fun.  

If you check out shots on rrpicturearchives.net (links below), you can see how nasty they were in their last days. All of these photos are taken in locations I regularly pass through or visit in my daily travels. Not to mention, I've ridden these stretches of tracks before. All locations are within a 20 minute drive of my home and always enjoy spending time whether or not I pull off the road or not for a visit.  

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=356814 http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=383590 http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1183782 http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1183783 http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1183768 http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1183780 http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1183777 http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1183778 http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1183779 http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1655225

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #23 on: Jul 13th, 2010, 11:51am »

WH -  

You are setting up a gag here, right? And, just who's weakness wherein they forgot to spend a little money on washing the equipment,  
and taking care of reasonable upkeep and repair? I'm not seeing a lot of pride in the appearances...

The Budd Cars were, and still are, marvelously versatile units. The Budd construction, widely thought, can last forever. So, the "shops"  
problems are that of newer power plants, and other nice touches. (New upholstery on the seats is always a big hit!)

......................Vern....................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
WH
Former Member

« Reply #24 on: Jul 13th, 2010, 12:23pm »

Vern,

No gag setting up here!

No denying the Budds were and still are versatile animals. They are solid pieces of equipment. Would love to see MARC reactivate theirs...

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #25 on: Jul 13th, 2010, 12:32pm »

WH -  

Yeah! I thought you were playing it straight! While in MARC stewardship, they could have tried to keep them looking presentable...

Quite the hot resale market in RDC CARS, claimed to have run by the mythic "Little Old Lady", and a "one owner creampuff"! <G>

All they need is bigger, stronger "Turbo" motors, but I'll leave that to the hot rodders! <G>

......................Vern.................

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #26 on: Jul 13th, 2010, 1:42pm »

on Jul 13th, 2010, 12:32pm, HwyHaulier wrote:       (Click here for original message)
WH -  

Yeah! I thought you were playing it straight! While in MARC stewardship, they could have tried to keep them looking presentable...

Quite the hot resale market in RDC CARS, claimed to have run by the mythic "Little Old Lady", and a "one owner creampuff"! <G>

All they need is bigger, stronger "Turbo" motors, but I'll leave that to the hot rodders! <G>

......................Vern.................

D&RGW found that out with the (pre-RDC, but very much like them) original Prospector set.

I'm not sure just what modern engines are currently available that will fit under the car-body, but I expect there is one - and I also reckon the original EMDs could get turbos and bigger radiators and generally up-graded drive-trains.

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #27 on: Jul 13th, 2010, 2:29pm »

Clyde -  

IIRC, the Dallas operator (TRE?) has re-powered theirs with much newer Cummins motors.

I suppose use of aircraft wax on Budd Cars is overkill! <G>

......................Vern...................

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #28 on: Jul 13th, 2010, 6:54pm »

Yeah, the cars on TRE were rebuilt and re-engined, that i know. but i am not sure which engines were used. I believe somebody up in Canada has (or had) a rebuild program that uses/used a R-R diesel, but i don't think that is the one the TRE cars went through. Cummins has (or maybe had) an engine they designed for buses that is laid on one side for a real flat profile. Just don't know if it is powerful enough to run an RDC.

Come to think of it - there is an RDC forum, bet somebody there knows which engines the TRE cars use - I'll see.

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #29 on: Jul 13th, 2010, 8:16pm »

Found information on the TRE rebuilds:

13 cars, from VIA Rail. rehab managed by LTK'

Power is a pair of Cummins NTA-855R, turbo sixes. 360 HP each, instead of the 275 of the original GM 6-110s. A separate diesel APU driving a 480 volt alternator for the elctrical load.

The CN did try converting a couple of cars to R-R power, including n R-R twin-disk transmission instead of the Allison torque converters in the standard configuration (they were having problems with transmissions over-heating on certain runs). Article I fnd didn't indicate which engine or the power, but apparently it was a problem because the engine had everything opposite to the way the GM engines did.

Currently, Cummins offers a horizontal engine called a QSK-19 that puts out 750 HP for rail use. Need to develop new trucks with both axles powered to use those, i think, but a pair would make an RDC a real rocket I reckon. Extra 304 c.1. and better than double the power (just short of triple the power of the old 6-110s)....

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #30 on: Jul 14th, 2010, 7:45am »

Clyde -  

Hmmm... This is more "Hot Rod And Performance" enthusiast kind of stuff! Yeah, some "tweaking" can be done with the OEM power plant design.  
There's a point that stronger, new motors overstress everything else in the drive trains. Power it up too much, and it invites a great deal of wheel slip  
off the line, too...

.....................Vern..................

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #31 on: Jul 14th, 2010, 11:12pm »

Yeah, if you put something like those 750 HP Cummins QSK-19s on an RDC, you'd need a new transmission, drive to both axles and traction control, I'd think. But if you had some RDCs and some money, just might be worth it.

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »