Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 20th, 2017, 9:09pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Nashville Tennessee Commuter Line & System
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Transit and Commuter
   General Subway, Transit and Commuter
(Moderators: NYC_Subway_Fan, ge_genesis, )
   Nashville Tennessee Commuter Line & System
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Nashville Tennessee Commuter Line & System  (Read 1383 times)
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Nashville Tennessee Commuter Line & System

« Reply #40 on: Sep 18th, 2007, 8:27pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Well, they do mention that TRE "adds" the light rail in Dallas. Which is an interestig way to put it, given that DART had lines up and running before TRE got its first trains.  

The DART-TRE-"T" partnership is a good one. You can get a ticket at any station on DART or TRE or T (Fort Worth's transit authority, all buses and "trolleys" that are trolley-style bodies on bus chassis) that is good across all three systems (have to get the deluxe pass to go past Centerport stop in the middle, south of the airport in either direction), but it be a BARGAIN. It was like $4.00 (less for my Best Beloved who has her Medicare Card)  for an all-zones day pass unlimited rides last time i used the TRE. It has gone up a bit - might be as much as $6.00 for that now. For that, I parked for free in the lot at the Hampton Road DART station, went downtown to Union Station, cross-platform transfer to TRE, then got on a T "trolley" that took us to the museum district, where we enjoyed both the Kimbell and the Amon Carter, then back downtown. TRE back to Dallas. DART to the station in the tunnel under City Place. McKinney Avenue Trolley (REAL street cars) to the Arts District, took a look at the Nasher Sculpture Garden and also the Crow Asian Art Collection in the Trammel Crow Building. DART (after a walk of a couple of blocks) back to Oak Cliff, and collected the car and back to the folks house (actually within walking distance of the station, but we let ourselves get a little short on time to catch the DART train we needed to to). Total transportation and parking - I think, for the two of us, it was $6.00. That was about three years ago, and as I say - the prices are up a bit, but still not much for the amount of transportation available.

Dallas-Fort Worth allows a LOT of steel wheels on steel rails and with DART expansion, more coming.  Quite a lot more. Praise God. Houston - dunno. Right now, they have a pretty limited one-line "system" from downtown past Hermann Park arts district past the medical center to Astrodome area, but it may serve as a catalyst for more and better. Despite the throwing away of some very valuable rail ROW in the past (curse you, asphalt-spreaders). I hear rumors of a desire to establish a commuter rail line out south to the Missouri City- Stafford-Sugarland, maybe Rosenberg, area. And perhaps one north toward Conroe. We shall see. They are late, but just maybe will do something useful there. A line south to Galveston, with an hour schedule one-way would be useful I think.

Alco83

« Reply #41 on: Sep 19th, 2007, 9:22pm »

All, this was just released yesterday...

Nashville's 'Music City Star' misses ridership goal by half

TRAINS:  NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Its been one year since the launch of the Music City Star, which provides commuter service between Lebanon, Tenn., and Nashville using 32 miles of Nashville & Eastern trackage. However, the Nashville Tennessean reports that the ridership goal that was considered a measure of success for the train's first year has not been met. It began operation on Sept. 18, 2006.

The Regional Transportation Authority predicted a first-year average of 1,500 daily riders on the Star, but fewer than half the projected number is boarding the train each day. The train saw an average near 640 daily riders at its peak this summer. Experts say that commuter-rail systems are booming in places they were expected to fail, and there's probably public policy to blame if Nashville's doesn't follow suit.

"We're the first commuter rail in the state of Tennessee. Anything that's a first has growing pains before it becomes accepted," Diane Thorne, the transportation authority's executive director told the Tennessean. "Ridership (projections) were just a goal." Despite increasing congestion and low air quality that caused 20 ozone-alert days in Nashville this summer, she said it's a challenge to get drivers out of their cars.

"Commuter rail is one of the fastest-growing transit modes in the country today," Robert Puentes, transportation expert at the Brookings Institution, told the Tennessean. "If [Nashville's train] is not meeting the projections laid out for it, decision makers in the Nashville region should look at the system they put in place as opposed to the riders themselves."

For one thing, communities must encourage growth close to the rail line. Lebanon and Mt. Juliet officials have been pitching land adjacent to their train stations as prime targets for transit-oriented developments, retail, shopping, or living centers that train officials see as an important supplement to the basic platforms.

Thorne recognizes the need to increase marketing and promotion and to provide more frequent service and better connections to work. Shuttles take riders to the state offices, up Broadway and to Vanderbilt and Belmont universities. Those going elsewhere hop a shuttle to the bus station to make a connection.

The Star is considered a "starter" project to demonstrate the effectiveness of commuter rail service to the metro Nashville area. Expansion plans include four more lines, terminating in Gallatin, Franklin, Murfreesboro, and Dickson using existing CSX lines. The planned five lines meet in central Nashville in a star formation, hence the name of the system, which also alludes to the city's many country music stars.

Parkersburg Branch: Monongah Division
American Rails: Resource Guide to American Railroading
ARF: A Family-friendly Railfan Community!
George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #42 on: Sep 25th, 2011, 12:04am »

Here we are four years after the last post.

Ridership is about twice what it was at the beginning.  There are still financial issues, but ridership is now above 1200 per day.  Presumably that means 600 people making round trips.  

The publish a newsletter quaterly,
scroll down to the bottom within www.musiccitystar.org/commuterrail.html

« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2012, 7:16pm by George_Harris » Logged
George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #43 on: Sep 15th, 2016, 11:54pm »

It's 10 years old!!   http://www.musiccitystar.org/pdf_News/n424.pdf

Should have been more lines by now, but this (Nashville to Lebanon along I-40 east) was the low hanging fruit.  All others with much ridership potential involve CSX, with the most promising from the ridership perspective being toward Murfreesboro (SE)  and toward Gallatin (NE),but both of these have heavy freight traffic.  I am reasonably certain that CSX would demand full double track for starters.  

My opinion from the beginning of the Music City Star line was that they should have carried on a little further east to or near to where the railroad crossed I-40 and made that their starting point and with it built a huge parking lot.  By doing that traffic from places both further east and southeast could bail off the highway just before it begins to get slow.

« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2016, 10:02pm by George_Harris » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »