Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 20th, 2017, 4:18pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

"Best" Train Simulator program
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Train Simulators
(Moderators: slosh, BNSF_1088)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: "Best" Train Simulator program  (Read 363 times)
steampower4884
Chaser

« on: Apr 28th, 2009, 9:30am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hello All,

I am sure that this topic has been brought up a couple times here in the past, but I see that nothing 'new' has been mentioned.

I am looking into three programs for railway simulation right now and the three forerunners seem to be:

Microsoft Train Simulator
Trainz Railroad Simulator
BVE: Boso View Express

From my initial perspective it seems that MSTS is the oldest and has great community support.  However being the oldest it also is a bit lacking graphics wise.

Trainz seems to be more up to date graphics wise, but what else does it have to offer?  It seems to be an on-going 'war' between this and the above

Now I have not heard about BVE until somewhat recently.  The pros here are that the program is free, so there is really nothing to loose except my time...and yes that is important to me.   The program also looks great.  The cons are that it is only offers a cab view.

My main interests in a Train simulator are AMERICAN routes.  I prefer Steam, but do not mind diesel as well.   I am interested in both freight AND Passenger routes.  An 'in cab' view is a must.  I prefer to be able to 'look out the sides'.

Needless to say scenery depiction must be crisp and clear.  I like to see details in bridges, tunnels, buildings...etc.

Sounds must be accurate too.

While I don't mind shuttling from one place to another, I would like to see some realistic railway activities such as the need to bring a load to a destination within a given time, doing rail yard switching, etc.

Do any of the programs allow the use of an external control system?  I would like to construct a 'tactile' or 'real' control system interface.  I can't think of anything worse than controlling trains with a computer keyboard...BLECH!!

So I would like to know what program would handle these requests the best.

I DO NOT want to experience any kind of choppiness either.  I don't have a new machine, but I can post what I have here and you can let me know which (if not all) will run fairly smoothly.

Dell Dimension 4600
Pentium 4 2.8ghz processor
2.0gig ram
2 500 gig HD 7200 rpm SATA
ATI Radeon 9600XT w/256m ram

The machine was bought new in 2004 so it is a 5 year old machine, but I recently did the memory upgrade, video upgrade and HD upgrades.  It does run most of my newer games fairly well.

Keeping that in mind, I know that MSTS is older than my machine so I would assume it will run well.  But what about the other two programs?

At any rate, if someone could guide me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Thank You,
SP4884

kalzone1
TRAINing
Re: "Best" Train Simulator program

« Reply #1 on: Jun 16th, 2009, 1:53pm »

I think that Trainz is the best because it is the easiest to download and make routes on. Tranz has a  less of a varitey of rolling stock and loco's compared to MSTS but it is just easier to work with.

Man with no Name
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Aug 11th, 2009, 4:17pm »

on Jun 16th, 2009, 1:53pm, kalzone1 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I think that Trainz is the best because it is the easiest to download and make routes on. Tranz has a  less of a varitey of rolling stock and loco's compared to MSTS but it is just easier to work with.

Really? I have such a hard time downloading items to Trainz via the Content Manager. I just do not know how to work that damn thing, it's confusing as hell.

It's frustrating too because some online users made some awesome 4-4-0 Civil War era Americans that I'm just dying to run.

Espee9180
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Aug 14th, 2009, 11:32am »

on Aug 11th, 2009, 4:17pm, Man with no Name wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Really? I have such a hard time downloading items to Trainz via the Content Manager. I just do not know how to work that damn thing, it's confusing as hell.

It's frustrating too...

I agree. Since I have the new one 2009 World Builder, nothing (or very little) works on it... Even the 2006 stuff... Downloaded some narrow gauge K-36's two work while the others exactly the same don't. Only difference is road number...

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »