Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 25th, 2017, 1:10am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Railroad Tycoon II and III
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Train Simulators
(Moderators: slosh, BNSF_1088)
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Railroad Tycoon II and III  (Read 272 times)
chessie8212
Historian

« on: Oct 26th, 2007, 4:41pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Was wondering if anyone here owns either of these games still?  The multiplayer on these can be a blast (I find a very rare few people on them every once and awhile) and if anyone has it here, maybe we can set a time up for a few of us to play a game.

« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2007, 4:43pm by chessie8212 » Logged

“The human brain is like a railroad freight car -- guaranteed to have a certain capacity but often running empty.”

Take only photos...
Leave only footprints.
Alco83

Re: Railroad Tycoon II and III

« Reply #1 on: Oct 26th, 2007, 4:45pm »

Neil,

I own the third installment and IMHO it is the best in the series, including the newest which was released this year Sid Meier's Railroads.  Sure, if anyone wants, I wouldn't mind playing sometime.

Parkersburg Branch: Monongah Division
American Rails: Resource Guide to American Railroading
ARF: A Family-friendly Railfan Community!
Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Oct 26th, 2007, 4:55pm »

Count me in!

I am not a fan of 3 as much as 2 tho.....   2 is much simpler to operate, I find.....

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

chessie8212
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Oct 26th, 2007, 5:18pm »

I prefer RRT3 over RRT2 as well, but I can certainly agree that RRT2 is easier to operate.

2 might be better suited for online as well in terms of playing smoothly.  RRT3's graphics may cause some slowdown or lag if some folks don't have outstanding internet connections.  But I am certainly open to either option, just depends on what the majority prefers.

Maybe we can set a game up somewhere in the near future and see how it goes.

“The human brain is like a railroad freight car -- guaranteed to have a certain capacity but often running empty.”

Take only photos...
Leave only footprints.
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Nov 25th, 2007, 5:17pm »

Hey folks, just a bit of information for those who don't already know. RR Tycoon 2 Gold DOES work in Windows Vista if you set it up in "Compatibility Mode". I just found this out today on my new PC after a bit of trial and error. I actually got through  a few scenarios without using Compatibilty Mode, but the game kept shutting down during the NYC to LA scenario. Always when I was about 85% done with it! The scenario finished today without a hitch in Compatibilty Mode. Now if I could only get my Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Steering Wheel to do the same thing. Lots of racing games going to waste without it!

Todd K. Stearns

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Nov 25th, 2007, 9:10pm »

I have Tycoon II, have not used it in a long time. If I can find it maybe I will download it again.

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
Madisoncorps
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Jan 10th, 2008, 3:30pm »

I've owned and played RRT II Gold and RRT III.  I enjoyed both but the third installment is great.  They fixed a ton of things from the second and greatly improved the game.  I've downloaded a lot of scenario add-ons to play and played through most of the tycoon gameplay.  I got stuck at a challenge in India or Thiland or something that I found difficult to generate enough money to build the line you were asked to build.  

I've never tried to play online but I would be interested.

Anyone know of web sites still posting scenario downloads?

C O R E Y

Someday we'll look back on all this and plow into a parked car.
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Jan 10th, 2008, 3:51pm »

I usually just do a Google search for Railroad Tycoon maps. It will  show at least a few sites with maps. Not all are what they once were though, some haven't been maintained in awhile.

Todd K. Stearns

ranger101
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Nov 19th, 2008, 11:40am »

Hey Guys,
     I have RRT3.  I really like it, but was interested in what the opinion is of Sid Meier's Railroads is if any.  I just got a new desktop and just uploaded MSTS.  I would not mind getting SMRRs.  Just looking for some opinions.
Tim

Rangers Lead the Way!

Man with no Name
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: Nov 22nd, 2008, 11:03am »

I own Sid Meier's Railroads.

You'll either love it or hate it depending on what you're looking for. If you want a challanging strategy game involving full aspects of our economy then it's NOT the game for you. I grew up on the Tycoon series and can easily say Railroads is about as challanging as grade school math.

However, the game is a visual feast for the eyes. It has gorgeous 3D and some neat little extras the Tycoon series never had like the ability to have three or four track mainlines. Just be sure to download the tenders add-on from the internet, in the game steam locos don'y have tenders for some reason.

lwhitehead
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Jan 13th, 2017, 11:16pm »

Do any of these games work on Win 10?,

LW

WVa_Jon
Chaser

« Reply #11 on: Jan 14th, 2017, 6:58pm »

Good question, but I for one want nothing to do with Win 10. Personal preferences.

Weren't there a couple "evolutions", for lack of a better term, of RRT-2? Whichever version it was, the game I tried to play had a much more "visual" feel compared to Tycoon 1 or Tycoon 1 Deluxe (one of my all time favorite games). I remember trying to build from the starting point (Baltimore City?) to Ellicott Mills but lost my shirt, and eventually my job, being fired! I haven't played the game in several years but it did have a lot of potential.

lwhitehead
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #12 on: Jan 14th, 2017, 11:00pm »

Well Railroad Tycoon II might work on Win 10 says Steam, but it sates Railroad Tycoon III will not work on Win 7.

My PC upgraded to Win 10 without my choice,

LW

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »