Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 23rd, 2017, 3:55am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Hershey Transit ...
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Transit and Commuter
   Traction
(Moderators: , NS3360)
   Hershey Transit ...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Hershey Transit ...  (Read 279 times)
Warren_Thompson
Historian
Hershey Transit ...

« on: Mar 31st, 2009, 4:19pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I'm trying to locate Elizabethtown Junction, on a map or in an aerial or by word of mouth, the point at which the Hershey Transit lines to Elizabethtown and Lebanon diverged.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

CarterB
Railfan
Re: Hershey Transit ...

« Reply #1 on: Apr 1st, 2009, 1:19pm »

Elizabethtown Jct. was just W of where Homestead Rd joins Rte 422, it curved from the South towards the West at that point.  See: http://www.ephistory.org/journeyoftrolleyno7.htm for a photo of it.  And a 1941 map at:   ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BPR_PDF_FILES/Maps/Type_10_GHS_Historical_Scans/Dauphin_1941.pdf

« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2009, 1:21pm by CarterB » Logged
Warren_Thompson
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Apr 2nd, 2009, 4:13pm »

on Apr 1st, 2009, 1:19pm, CarterB wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Elizabethtown Jct. was just W of where Homestead Rd joins Rte 422, it curved from the South towards the West at that point.  See: http://www.ephistory.org/journeyoftrolleyno7.htm for a photo of it.  And a 1941 map at:   ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BPR_PDF_FILES/Maps/Type_10_GHS_Historical_Scans/Dauphin_1941.pdf

==============

CarterB: Thanks for your response. I think I've located Elizabethtown Junction on a Penn Pilot aerial c. 1937 or 1938, but I'm still not certain of the exact track arrangement (and it seems the layout of the land at that locale has changed a good deal over the years).

BTW I assume you meant Rte 322, not Rte 422.

CarterB
Railfan

« Reply #3 on: Apr 20th, 2009, 11:09am »

Warren,  nope 422 (Chocolate Ave) . At rte 322 (Governor Rd) at about Homestead Rd. it split again with the line to Campbelltown and beyond paralleling 322 on the south side (crossing for a short stretch to the north side of 322 just shy of the Lebanon County line then recrossing to the south at the county line)  A spur continued south on the east side of Homestead Rd. to about what is now Rte 743 Fishburn Rd.  Not sure what that spur was called.
(This all according to a Dauphin County 1941 map)

« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2009, 11:10am by CarterB » Logged
CarterB
Railfan

« Reply #4 on: Apr 22nd, 2009, 3:50pm »

Warren,  I stand corrected.  Got some good info from Tammy L. Hamilton, Archivist Hershey Community Archives.  "Thank you for forwarding the map.  The trolley line that turns East along Route 322 is the Lebanon line.  The "spur" is the Elizabethtown line.  The Elizabethtown line ceased operation on June 23, 1940.  It is possible they began taking up the tracks and that is why the full Elizabethtown line does not appear on the 1941 map.  From the picture you forwarded, I'm still not certain what the author has termed "Elizabethtown Junction."  The landscape however is much too rural and undeveloped to be the corner of Java and Chocolate in 1940.  You may wish to contact the author of the website for more information about that particular image."  So...Elizabethtown Jct. was where the line to Lebanon turned East on Rte 422 and the line to Elizabethtown went on South.

See also photo of it at: http://www.davesrailpix.com/odds/pa/htm/hershey32.htm

Warren_Thompson
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Apr 23rd, 2009, 10:48am »

on Apr 22nd, 2009, 3:50pm, CarterB wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Warren,  I stand corrected.  Got some good info from Tammy L. Hamilton, Archivist Hershey Community Archives.  "Thank you for forwarding the map.  The trolley line that turns East along Route 322 is the Lebanon line.  The "spur" is the Elizabethtown line.  The Elizabethtown line ceased operation on June 23, 1940.  It is possible they began taking up the tracks and that is why the full Elizabethtown line does not appear on the 1941 map.  From the picture you forwarded, I'm still not certain what the author has termed "Elizabethtown Junction."  The landscape however is much too rural and undeveloped to be the corner of Java and Chocolate in 1940.  You may wish to contact the author of the website for more information about that particular image."  So...Elizabethtown Jct. was where the line to Lebanon turned East on Rte 422 and the line to Elizabethtown went on South.

See also photo of it at: http://www.davesrailpix.com/odds/pa/htm/hershey32.htm

I'm still thinking that Elizabethtown Junction was south of Hershey proper and situated on Rte 322, adjacent to a Milton Hershey School structure called Homestead. On p.33 of Richard Steinmetz's Chocolate Town Trolleys there's a photo of car #26 at this locale (referred to in the caption as "E & L Junction"). This is verified by the 1937 aerial photo on Penn Pilot.

Any chance you could forward me a copy of the 1941 Dauphin County map?

« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2009, 10:52am by Warren_Thompson » Logged
CarterB
Railfan

« Reply #6 on: Apr 23rd, 2009, 10:57am »

You are correct it was where the Lebanon line turned East on what is now Rte 322, I mistyped it from my notes.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »