Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 23rd, 2017, 4:04am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Interurban passenger car roof colors ...
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Transit and Commuter
   Traction
(Moderators: , NS3360)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Interurban passenger car roof colors ...  (Read 63 times)
Warren_Thompson
Historian

« on: Apr 29th, 2008, 5:08pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

It often wonders me why so many "classic" cars, in the days before air conditioning, had roofs painted in darker colors. E.g., the Indiana Railroad had dark green, the C&LE and the Columbus, Delaware & Marion a kind of tan, and the WB&A black. In hot weather, this surely must have been hard on the riders and operators. I'd have thought that white or silver would have worked better -- and, in its later days, the Texas Electric cars did have silver roofs.)

George_Harris
Historian
Re: Interurban passenger car roof colors ...

« Reply #1 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 6:45pm »

I have no idea the why for dark roofs on Southern interurbans.  Up north, maybe to reduce the heat requirements in the winter.  Maybe they were just copying the normal Steam Railroad practices.  Black or dark roofs on railroad coaches made since in that the dirt and soot from the engine was less noticible.

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Interurban passenger car roof colors ...

« Reply #2 on: May 3rd, 2008, 6:05pm »

Well, in some cases at least the cars would have had tar-paper toof covering (or tarred canvas) for water-proofing, and wouldn't have been painted but left natural.

I recall the silver-roofed Texas Electric cars, in fact rode in them some (line finally closed down just after my fifth birthday and until then we used it to travel from Dallas to Waco on occasion, often enough that I remember it).

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »