Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 26th, 2017, 1:23pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Pittsburgh, any loops?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Transit and Commuter
   Traction
(Moderators: , NS3360)
   Pittsburgh, any loops?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Pittsburgh, any loops?  (Read 133 times)
patboylan
TRAINing
Pittsburgh, any loops?

« on: Apr 26th, 2008, 4:01pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I haven't been to Pittsburgh for a while, but last time I was there they still ran shuttle PCC's to Drake Loop, which as is usual with PCC's were single enders, and so had a loop somewhere inbound from from the junction between the Drake line and the South Hills Junction line.
They also at that time had a loop in the open between Steel Plaza and the Panhandle Bridge. Today I'm taking a virtual tour via google maps satellite, and it looks like they've removed that loop. So I'm wondering if anybody knows if they've retained any of the other loops.
Meanwhile I'll check the rest of their mileage via google, maybe I can see the other loops, if any, and report back.

railfan_85
Enthusiast
Re: Pittsburgh, any loops?

« Reply #1 on: Feb 15th, 2009, 12:30am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Service to Drake was discontinued in 1999.  With the closing of the Drake line, the last of the PCCs in active service were eliminated.    

The long range goal is to upgrade the line to accomodate the LRVs, but for the time being a shuttle bus operates the route.

Regarding the other loop, it was removed not long afterwards, I want to say 2005 or so.    

Remember, there's a "Highway to Hell" as well as a "Railway to Heaven." TAKE THE TRAIN
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »