Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 23rd, 2017, 1:32pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

The Laurel Line
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Transit and Commuter
   Traction
(Moderators: , NS3360)
   The Laurel Line
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: The Laurel Line  (Read 383 times)
Josh U.
Railfan
The Laurel Line

« on: Aug 15th, 2007, 2:46pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Can anyone give me some pointers on where I could find some remnants of the old Laurel Line from Wilkes-Barre to Scranton?

Exploring the old WB & H, and looking for old pictures of the right of way.
GP72ACe

View Profile  

Re: The Laurel Line

« Reply #1 on: Aug 15th, 2007, 4:18pm »

Well, if you drive on the Central Scranton Expressway, you're on their old ROW to Dunmore...and of course, there's the trolley at Steamtown.  This site should indicate where all the ROW remnants are, especially between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre.

« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2007, 4:19pm by GP72ACe » Logged
Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #2 on: Aug 15th, 2007, 10:07pm »

Thank you!

Exploring the old WB & H, and looking for old pictures of the right of way.
Maurice
Chaser

« Reply #3 on: Jul 20th, 2008, 9:58am »

Wondering if anyone is actually modeling our beloved Laurel Line? I know a couple of modelers have the Laurel Line represented on their layouts, one with the Wilkes Barre Freight House, which he serves with his Lehigh Valley and another by parallel trackage and stationary cars. I am modeling a condensed version of Wilkes Barre Yard in the diesel era on a small shelf layout. I have even lettered a hopper for the Laurel Line. I know hoppers didn't last into the diesel era and were on arch bar trucks, precluding their use in interchange service, but my NMRA dues are paid up, so I used my modeler's license.    

I used a Bowser GLa hopper and hand lettered it using Woodland Scenics dry transfers. Still needs some weathering.

robertjohndavis
Railfan
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #4 on: Jul 20th, 2008, 10:34am »

Maurice,

Do you know of a good pciture of a L&WV hopper where the small data lettering is legible?

Our club, the Garden State Central in Asbury Park, NJ, has a small bit of the Laurel Line including a scratchbuilt model of the Scranton depot and the Stafford Meadow Brook bridge.  

htp://www.gardenstatecentral.com

Rob

Ahead of the Torch
http://www.robertjohndavis.com/

Maurice
Chaser

« Reply #5 on: Jul 20th, 2008, 6:44pm »

Rob,
  This is the best I have found, which is a scan out of the Laurel Line book by Henwood and Muncie. Unfortunately, it doesn't show the data well. I wonder if Ed Miller has anything better. The hoppers were probably in pretty bad shape by the time anybody got to take color shots of them. Some of the data is in the LW&V listing in the early O.R.E.R.
Maurice

Maurice
Chaser

« Reply #6 on: Feb 10th, 2009, 2:14pm »

Here is another view of a Laurel Line coal hopper from a negative I recently purchased.

grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #7 on: Mar 4th, 2009, 3:29pm »

Glad to see a Laurel Line thread. I still have no idea how it ran in Moosic. Powder Mill Road has so many tracks today its very difficult to tell. Some think the abutment there was theirs but it was WB&E. L&WV ran under it. May have to go out and photograph the area.

565fan
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Mar 6th, 2009, 1:58pm »

I have hiked the L&WV from Montage Mtn Road to Rocky Glen Lake.  With a tiny bridge missing, I couldn't go any further south.  I contemplated jumping, but thought that if I broke something, no one would be there to help, or hear me.  On my way back to Montage, I was passed by a guy in a pickup.  Apparently it is used more than I thought.  Got some good slides that day, October of 2006.  Haven't had them scanned to post here, yet.

www.project3713.com

grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #9 on: Mar 6th, 2009, 4:14pm »

That's a nice walk. A better one is from the north heidelberg abutment to south street Avoca.The row disappears from there due to 81. I am going to walk from inkerman to hilldale soon.

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_3630_Small.jpg - 87898 Bytes
« Reply #10 on: Mar 10th, 2009, 9:06am »

on Mar 6th, 2009, 1:58pm, 565fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I have hiked the L&WV from Montage Mtn Road to Rocky Glen Lake.  With a tiny bridge missing, I couldn't go any further south.  I contemplated jumping, but thought that if I broke something, no one would be there to help, or hear me.  On my way back to Montage, I was passed by a guy in a pickup.  Apparently it is used more than I thought.  Got some good slides that day, October of 2006.  Haven't had them scanned to post here, yet.

Last year we saw someone built a small walking bridge over the gap. Looks a bit kludged together. (picture taken 3/24/2008 )  

Mike

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/100_3630_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2009, 9:06am by mike_nepa » Logged
mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Mar 10th, 2009, 9:08am »

on Aug 15th, 2007, 2:46pm, Josh U. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Can anyone give me some pointers on where I could find some remnants of the old Laurel Line from Wilkes-Barre to Scranton?

I have a few pages with maps on my site.

http://nepaview.piczo.com/?g=48223779&cr=4

Mike

grvolans
Railfan
  Traction/Ad_on_Rock_Face_for_The_Scranton_Republican-1920-1930_518x389.jpg (Note: Can't Find Attachment!)
« Reply #12 on: Mar 24th, 2009, 3:52pm »

Hey. Found the actual Laurel line row in Moosic. Not the first track that is still there. That was Erie and was put in later on. Laurel Line ran very close to the abutment which may have been a pedestrian bridge. Found an ad for the Scranton Republican newspaper on the rock face. Laurel line ran South  and went under a road and into a gully on its way to Avoca. Found the ties and broken insulators. Hard to follow South until you get to South street in Avoca.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »