Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 26th, 2017, 1:19pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway Stations
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Transit and Commuter
   Traction
(Moderators: , NS3360)
   Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway Stations
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway Stations  (Read 2708 times)
Josh U.
Railfan
Re: Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway Stations

« Reply #80 on: Feb 25th, 2007, 12:13am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hey guys. It's been a while, but I wanted to post something on here before I forgot.

MtnDave had talked about the bridge abutments in the woods near Alberdeen Rd., and I believe I may have stated that that road wasn't around when the WB&H was running, but I mistaken. I was out driving there the one day, and because of the recent snowfall, I was able to see a clear shot from the existing road of where the old road used to go back and run between the abutments. I haven't gotten a picture, because I didn't have my camera in tow, but I'll try and get one if I can.

Exploring the old WB & H, and looking for old pictures of the right of way.
MtnDave
TRAINing
  Alberdeen_Road_RoW_overpass_795x596.jpg - 128553 Bytes
« Reply #81 on: Feb 25th, 2007, 1:39am »

Howdy Josh,

Well the wintry weather curtailed exploration for a bit.  But on the bright side I have finally had a chance to do some snow shoeing.

Yup, the old roadbed pops right out in the snow.  the road, which I suspect was the original path of Alberdeed Road, goes under the RoW and runs behind several new homes built along Main Road.  This overpass is less than 100 yards from the filled in Main Road underpass.  

I'm going to take another look at the old aerial photos to see if it shows this road.  

As soon as the weather breaks I will be back on the project of plotting out some more.  I'll give a shout and some of us could team up if interested.  I sure could use some guidence off the mountain.

Well, tha's all for now.  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/Alberdeen_Road_RoW_overpass_795x596.jpg
Click Image to Resize

MtnDave
TRAINing
  Close_up_aerial_of_Alberdeen_crossing.jpg - 43700 Bytes
« Reply #82 on: Feb 25th, 2007, 11:27am »

I pulled the 1939 Aerial photo and it shows the current road straigh thru as well as a loop that goes under the RoW.  Since there were no grade level crossings I suspect that the road was straightened out after the line was closed down.  

If you follow the RoW south you can see the Main Road underpass.

MtnDave

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/Close_up_aerial_of_Alberdeen_crossing.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #83 on: Feb 25th, 2007, 8:35pm »

Great photo Dave!

Yeah, that would be my guess too, that they jsut straightened out the road after the line wasn't in use anymore. There's places down near me where they've done that too.

I would love to get out and explore the old line some more. I haven't done it in quite a while, but I'm really at a loss for time lately because of school. Hopefully, during the summer, I'll have a little more free time. I do go on my spring break the week of the 4th, so maybe I can get some time in there too.

Which reminds me, I've still yet to clean up my new insulator! It's been sitting up in the overhead of my garage for about a month!

Krup
TRAINing

« Reply #84 on: Mar 19th, 2007, 8:01pm »

First time posting to site.

I'm from the W-B area and many locals talk about a train robbery that happened in the Suger Notch/Warrior Run area and the "Cannonball". I've got the Quinby book but there's no mention of any train robbery. Did such an event take place, and could it have happened on the the Lehigh Valley Railroad instead?

Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #85 on: Mar 19th, 2007, 10:55pm »

on Mar 19th, 2007, 8:01pm, Krup wrote:       (Click here for original message)
First time posting to site.

I'm from the W-B area and many locals talk about a train robbery that happened in the Suger Notch/Warrior Run area and the "Cannonball". I've got the Quinby book but there's no mention of any train robbery. Did such an event take place, and could it have happened on the the Lehigh Valley Railroad instead?

Welcome Krup!

As far as I know, there was no robbery on the WB&H. I'm sure it would've been mentioned in the Quinby book, but now that you mention it, I think I do recall something about the LV being robbed. I'll have to see what I can find out.

JhnZ33
Former Member

« Reply #86 on: Mar 20th, 2007, 3:41am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Mar 19th, 2007, 10:55pm, Josh U. wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Welcome Krup!

As far as I know, there was no robbery on the WB&H. I'm sure it would've been mentioned in the Quinby book, but now that you mention it, I think I do recall something about the LV being robbed. I'll have to see what I can find out.

I'm not aware of any robbery of the WB&H either. There is some information on the Lackawanna board about a robbery (or attempted robbery) of a Glen Alden pay car on the Hanover and Newport branch of the DL&W where it crossed the former LV mainline in Warrior Run (near Sugar Notch).

Below is a photo posted by another member from the Warrior Run Centennial.

Krup
TRAINing

« Reply #87 on: Mar 20th, 2007, 6:00pm »

Thanks so much for the information and picture. I've heard so many people in the Warrior Run/Sugar Notch area swear that this robbery took place on the W-B & Hazleton Railroad, now I can set them straight.  

Ashley_John
Former Member

« Reply #88 on: Mar 21st, 2007, 3:52am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Mar 20th, 2007, 6:00pm, Krup wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Thanks so much for the information and picture. I've heard so many people in the Warrior Run/Sugar Notch area swear that this robbery took place on the W-B & Hazleton Railroad, now I can set them straight.  

You're welcome Krup.

As I said, I've never heard about there being a robbery of the WB&H, doesn't mean there wasn't one. Although, I couldn't see what they would be after anyway.

John

Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #89 on: Mar 21st, 2007, 11:59pm »

on Mar 21st, 2007, 3:52am, Ashley_John wrote:       (Click here for original message)

You're welcome Krup.

As I said, I've never heard about there being a robbery of the WB&H, doesn't mean there wasn't one. Although, I couldn't see what they would be after anyway.

John

I agree. I tried googling it, but I found nothing of any interest. I'll ask around a bit though.

Josh U.
Railfan
  drums.jpg - 109585 Bytes
« Reply #90 on: Mar 28th, 2007, 10:15pm »

Here's a shot I got the other day of the old Drums station.

It's kind of hard to make out, unfortunately. The sun was pretty bright. It seems as though the actual top of the platform has fallen through, or been destroyed, but the base walls remain.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/drums.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ferlen

View Profile  

« Reply #91 on: Dec 22nd, 2009, 12:44pm »

The station was torn down when they built Penn Place. I remember th station very well. on Jan 4th, 2007, 2:32pm, AdamCKach wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Just a small, unrelated question to the preceding discussion.  In the Quinby book, he provides photos of the WB&H station before and after its conversion to a service station.  Do you know if this station still exists?

I ask because on North State Street, behind Pennsylvania Ave (North State Street is between the W-B Police HQ and the Luzerne County Courthouse Annex known as "Penn Place" I believe), there is a service garage that looks strikingly similar to the most recent photo in the book.  Though the book shows a garage with two doors, the garage on State Street has one (the center one), but on the left you can see where one door was closed with brick.  In addition, the roof like of the station follows the descending step pattern.  The last change is that in the book, the station is sided, but the current incarnation is brick.  But, the side windows appeared dead-on also.

This garage is located generally where the WB&H station would have been.

Am I on something here?  Or did I miss a post where this idea is dismissed?  

Lorenzo
Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #92 on: Mar 27th, 2010, 12:35am »

That's really a shame. It'd be nice if there was still more of the old structures around. The terminal in Hazleton was torn down too, but I have no idea when. The trolley barns in West Hazleton are still there though, one's been turned into a bread outlet if I'm not mistaken. And I think I also discovered the remains of the tracks from the industrial loop in the same vicinity. Right next to the Ark Electric building.

ferlen

View Profile  

« Reply #93 on: Mar 28th, 2010, 9:20am »

on Mar 27th, 2010, 12:35am, Josh U. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
That's really a shame. It'd be nice if there was still more of the old structures around. The terminal in Hazleton was torn down too, but I have no idea when. The trolley barns in West Hazleton are still there though, one's been turned into a bread outlet if I'm not mistaken. And I think I also discovered the remains of the tracks from the industrial loop in the same vicinity. Right next to the Ark Electric building.

Al least some of the WB&H is still used for freight including the Black Creek Viaduct. The Hazleton Station was torn down in the early 80's, it was a grocery store by then. Now there is a bank there. Also the West Hazleton shops have seen major changes in the 90's, a lot of the roadbed was removed at Hazle Park and it was paved to meet the parking lot of Hazle Park meats. There are car shows there all the time. I remember the tracks there going into the pavement of the street! They were removed in the late 80's when they built the high rise which is there now. The Hazle Park arches were removed at the same time. One of the car barns is a body shop now. They took out the tracks from Hazle Park to the industrial park at the same time. A modern freight car crushed a concrete culvert in the industrial park, so Norfolk Southern cannot go as far up the line when switching the old WB&H trackage. I saw them use it  in the late 80's which I had taken pictures.

Lorenzo
Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #94 on: Mar 30th, 2010, 12:19am »

on Mar 28th, 2010, 9:20am, ferlen wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Al least some of the WB&H is still used for freight including the Black Creek Viaduct. The Hazleton Station was torn down in the early 80's, it was a grocery store by then. Now there is a bank there. Also the West Hazleton shops have seen major changes in the 90's, a lot of the roadbed was removed at Hazle Park and it was paved to meet the parking lot of Hazle Park meats. There are car shows there all the time. I remember the tracks there going into the pavement of the street! They were removed in the late 80's when they built the high rise which is there now. The Hazle Park arches were removed at the same time. One of the car barns is a body shop now. They took out the tracks from Hazle Park to the industrial park at the same time. A modern freight car crushed a concrete culvert in the industrial park, so Norfolk Southern cannot go as far up the line when switching the old WB&H trackage. I saw them use it  in the late 80's which I had taken pictures.

By the West Hazleton terminal, are you referring to the one on Wyoming St.? I thought that was now just a parking lot!  

But you reminded me, a while back I was out in the industrial park, and near one of the factories, there's still one of the concrete bridges with the tracks still running up to it, it was kind of a cool thing to see one of the old WB & H bridges with rails still there. It's just a shame that there's no way to follow the old line anywhere past the viaduct, until halfway down the mountain. All that land was just torn up and whatnot from the expansion of Humboldt, and the construction of 81. It'd be nice to see what would've remained of any crossing for Route 93 and whatnot.

And you mentioned the car barns and the Hazle Park arches. My brother actually knows the guy that owns the land the car barns are on, and apparently, he still has the pieces for the original arch in storage somewhere. I think he petitioned to have it reinstalled, but never got anywhere with it. It's a shame, so much of Hazleton's history, either torn down (like our beloved Lehigh Valley Station), or just stuck in a shed forever...

ferlen

View Profile  

« Reply #95 on: Apr 21st, 2010, 10:03pm »

on Mar 21st, 2007, 3:52am, Ashley_John wrote:       (Click here for original message)

You're welcome Krup.

John

I just talked to a few people, and they beleive the robbery was not on any public railroad but was on the Glen Alden Coal Co. narrow guage electric operated line and the incident occured while the car was on the way to #20 tunnel to pay the workers employed there. This electric line moved the coal cars from the cages to the breaker where they were unloaded and processed.  True

Lorenzo
Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #96 on: Apr 22nd, 2010, 1:09am »

on Dec 23rd, 2006, 11:28am, Josh U. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Ah, John, you got to it before me lol.

By the way, I just got a call from a gentleman this morning, concerning the Danville, Hazleton and Wilkes-Barre RR. Now, I've never heard of this line, and as far as I know, it never connected to ours here, seeing as how I've never seen it mentioned in the book or any of the forums. There is a picture from it for sale on ebay. It's the first one there if you search under "Hazleton".  

Have any of you ever heard of it?

I actually forgot about this post. I didn't look up anything else about it since, until tonight. But I had sort of a revelation after looking at these scans of station locations?: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=65446. Apparently, it used to run through Tomhicken, and Tank, which answers a previous question I posted once about these railroad abutments I found near Mountain Grove: http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?board=ffgeneral;action=display;num=1187907955 . Weird coincidence!

schieftain
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #97 on: Aug 6th, 2010, 9:31am »

Not sure if anybody is still watching this string, but I grew up within spitting distance of the ROW in the vicinity of the Albert station. We used to hike and ride our bikes on the old line all the time. Often went all the way to the Penobscot tunnel, or the other direction down to Drums/St. Johns area. I was always curious about where the Albert station was exactly. We used to take trails through the woods, and get on the ROW between Yeager Rd. and the big curve/fill just south of there. At the bottom of that high curve, the creek goes under the grade though some big pipes. This is a tributary of Yeager Creek I believe. A little distance south of this fill, there is an overpass which looks like it was built over some farm roads. The farm remnants were still there when I lived there, (back in the 1970s). I would guess the Albert station would be somewhere near where the ROW crossed Yeager Road (north of the curve-fill). There are old abutments there, so the grade was considerably higher than road level, and would make sense to place the platform close to the road so people getting on and off had easy access. I also read that they would pick up milk from local farms on this station, and there were a couple of farms right there. Having a high platform near the road, would facilitate loading/unloading milk cans off the back of a wagon. I was lucky enough to get a copy of Quinby's book back then when Carsten's was selling them, and I still have it, along with the notes I made in it as I explored the line. It's neat to know there are people today who are still interested in it. I have some old photos I took back then of the ROW in that area, one of the overpass I mentioned. I never saw any platform remnants in the Albert area, but I think another thing to look for would be a wider ROW, as I believe there was a siding somewhere near the station.

Ashley_John
Historian

« Reply #98 on: Aug 6th, 2010, 11:12am »

I don't believe you would find any remnants of the Alberts station since, unlike the others which the platforms were constructed of concrete, it was constructed entirely from wood.  

I and a few others who have explored the line believe the station was just off of Alberdeen Rd near the present day baseball field. The row is now known as Laude Drive.

If you look at this Bing birdseye map and compare the topographical features in the old photo and the map, it sure looks like the right place.

JP

Riding the rails of the past via media and exploration.
Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #99 on: Aug 7th, 2010, 1:56am »

on Aug 6th, 2010, 11:12am, Ashley_John wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I don't believe you would find any remnants of the Alberts station since, unlike the others which the platforms were constructed of concrete, it was constructed entirely from wood.  

I and a few others who have explored the line believe the station was just off of Alberdeen Rd near the present day baseball field. The row is now known as Laude Drive.

If you look at this Bing birdseye map and compare the topographical features in the old photo and the map, it sure looks like the right place.

JP

That's where I've always thought of it as being too.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »