Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 24th, 2017, 1:20am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway Stations
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Transit and Commuter
   Traction
(Moderators: , NS3360)
   Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway Stations
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway Stations  (Read 2707 times)
Old Guy
TRAINing
Re: Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway Stations

« Reply #40 on: Jan 1st, 2007, 9:47am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hi Guys,

I just came across a fantastic source of vintage aerial photos.  It's under Railfan-Fallen Flags-Lehigh Valley-1939 Aerial Photos of PA.  It's also found at www.pennpilot.psu.edu  The site takes a while to navigate through but the 1938-1939 aerial photos can be accessed by clicking on  Display Historical Photo, the yellow dot where the old photo is centered and Image Quality High.  If you are familiar with the area you are searching, the WB&H ROW is plainly visible.  It's the next best thing to old topos.  
ENJOY !!!  

Old Guy

Warren_Thompson
Historian

« Reply #41 on: Jan 1st, 2007, 10:25am »

Old Guy:

Agreed. That's one excellent site. Clicking on "high" resolution will put you virtually on top of structures, corn fields, and -- most importantly -- RoWs. Be patient, though, loading for high resolution will take several minutes.

MtnDave
TRAINing

« Reply #42 on: Jan 1st, 2007, 11:30am »

Thanx Old Guy,

I have used similar resources (i.e. Terraserver) but this is a really nice State/County specific site.  This is a GREAT tool.

I was actually reviewing topo's and old photos this morning for an outing with the GPS on the Wright Twp. section of the ROW this afternoon if the weather breaks.  The regular aerial photos seem to have reinforced what I already suspect but the historical photo may have locked in my suspicionseven better.

With old fashioned dial-up it can be a bit slow but good things take time.  I did note that the printouts are not quite as clear as I would like (probably my old printer) but for free it's plenty good enough.

Thanx for the great resource.

MtnDave

Warren_Thompson
Historian

« Reply #43 on: Jan 1st, 2007, 11:43am »

How nice it would be if there similar resources for other states that were once interurban-gravid, i.e., Ohio and Indiana. (However, there is some material for the immediate Indianapolis area.)

Dixie911
TRAINing
  Grandfather_2.jpg - 68413 Bytes
« Reply #44 on: Jan 2nd, 2007, 9:13pm »

on Dec 15th, 2006, 8:49am, JhnZ33 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Hey Josh, great additions to the photos.  

The timbers in the picture look to be too intact for being 70-some years old or better. One would think that any remnants of wood structure being that old and left to the elements without maintenance, would be long gone by now.  

Not saying it isn't from the WB&H, but if it is, I would venture a guess that the structure was probably under care and maintenance, and was most likely used well after the WB&H closed it's doors.

Now, if we could only find photos of these stations in their heyday... that would be great.

John

Hello Rail Fans,

I have to admit i am not a railroad buff and have no knowledge of the things you all know about. I do have a picture though and I'd love if anyone could give me more info about it. My father, before he died, gave me this picture and said one of these men was his father. He didn't know which. We'll after many hours googleing I think this place may have been Nuangola. As you can see the words are backwards so the negative was flipped when this pic was printed. I know he was from Ashtabula, OH and I read that many people came to Nuangola for vacation back when? As far as a date I do know he was born in 1908 and died on January 11th 1946. So this pic was taken on the later part of that date. There is a stagecoach behind them filled with luggage. And the man on the left sitting down is sitting on some kind of bench that is hollow underneath. Is this building perhaps the train station? Anyway I'd love anything anyone can tell me. I do hope I'm not imposing with asking this of you. A Million thanks for your time / attention.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/Grandfather_2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2007, 9:43pm by Dixie911 » Logged
MtnDave
TRAINing

« Reply #45 on: Jan 2nd, 2007, 9:38pm »

Yesterday I ventured out for some more exploration.  I parked off 309 and walked down the big powerline to the RoW.  Once I reached the RoW I discovered that southbound travel is prohibited by a gate and heavy signage to keep out.

That's OK because I had planned my trip northward to Yeager overpass.  Well it was soggy and foggy but off I went.  The first bit is a little rough but passable.  In hand I had my trusty GPS, Topo map (circa 194 and  some of those nice Aerial PennPilot historical photos.

First objective was to stop at the spot on the maps and photos that appeared to be a large clearing on the east side of the RoW.  Well, it's still there in all it's clearness and it actually looks like someone takes care of it.  I saw no obvious signs of foundations or structures but it was clear that there was access to the RoW.  Sizeable clearing thad could have contained several structures.  Wonder just what that was.  Anybody got a clue?

Just past this clearing the RoW begins its long sweeping bend to Yeager overpass.  This is quite a high grade build-up spanning a valley with a stream passing underneath.  I did not see any archwork and suspect it is a pipe of some sort (closer examination is needed).  Regardless it is quite a fill.

After the sweep the Row straightens out and a residence is on the left just off the Row.  This is 2/10ths of a mile from Yeager overpass and this is the home that uses the remainder of the RoW as their driveway.

With the weather deteriorating I headed back for the powerline and the truck.  Along the powerline there are large piles of cut trees, some quite large and rotting.  Lots of junk including trailers, tanks and piles  and piles of all kinds of junk.  

The reason I mention this is I came upon Several steel beams with rivet configurations of older construction.  There were also some bracing pieces.  Next to this pile were several large piles of very thick (maybe 2") tounge and groove planks like you don't see these days (some had old style round head nails).

I paced off the beams as I was curious.  After returning to the truck I cut thru the fog over to Yeager overpass and paced off again.  Hmmmm, Beams and span of overpass pretty much the same.

So my query is.  Could it be possible that these may be salvaged portions of bridges and platforms?  I just looked at the Albert Station picture and just wonder about the platform construction.  I sure would not want to make an assumption but I am curious.  I know the rails were salvaged but I read nothing of what happened to the bridge and platform materials.

This was a short hike that reaped the most questions per mile.

What was that clearing?
How about the filled in grade?  
Is there anything to the Mystery structure materials?

Comments, opinions, a revisit for more inspection.

MtnDave

MtnDave
TRAINing
  Mystery_beams_862x647.jpg - 114778 Bytes
« Reply #46 on: Jan 2nd, 2007, 10:27pm »

The mystery beams.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/Mystery_beams_862x647.jpg
Click Image to Resize

MtnDave
TRAINing

« Reply #47 on: Jan 2nd, 2007, 10:49pm »

Dixie911,

IMPOSING, with a picture like this.  HA !  

What a fine dapper bunch of fellows.  Yes, this appears to be Nuangola Station and one of the best I've seen.   The "bench" I believe is most likely a hitching post and the "stagecoach" is most likely a porters wagon used to move luggage around.

I'm not native to the area but I can pass it around and see if I get any hits.  Have you queried this to the Luzerene County Genealogy people yet?  They are pretty active and may be able to help ID somebody.

Thanx

MtnDave

Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #48 on: Jan 3rd, 2007, 1:15am »

on Jan 2nd, 2007, 9:13pm, Dixie911 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Hello Rail Fans,

I have to admit i am not a railroad buff and have no knowledge of the things you all know about. I do have a picture though and I'd love if anyone could give me more info about it. My father, before he died, gave me this picture and said one of these men was his father. He didn't know which. We'll after many hours googleing I think this place may have been Nuangola. As you can see the words are backwards so the negative was flipped when this pic was printed. I know he was from Ashtabula, OH and I read that many people came to Nuangola for vacation back when? As far as a date I do know he was born in 1908 and died on January 11th 1946. So this pic was taken on the later part of that date. There is a stagecoach behind them filled with luggage. And the man on the left sitting down is sitting on some kind of bench that is hollow underneath. Is this building perhaps the train station? Anyway I'd love anything anyone can tell me. I do hope I'm not imposing with asking this of you. A Million thanks for your time / attention.

I'm not sure this is the Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton station at Nuangola, seeing as how the WB&H stations tend to just be concrete platforms with a pavilion on top, but there very well could have been another train station in Nungola. I don't know much else about that particular area, except where the WB&H ran, but there is a certain part of Nuangola that is referred to as "Nuangola Station". However, I'm not sure if this pertains to the old WB&H station that's there, or another station of a larger railway (such as Lehigh Valley or something).

But I think I would say that it's not the WB&H one, since it doesn't really bear a resemblance to the picture of Nuangola station in the first page of this forum.

Sorry I can't be of anymore help.

Exploring the old WB & H, and looking for old pictures of the right of way.
Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #49 on: Jan 3rd, 2007, 1:22am »

on Jan 2nd, 2007, 9:38pm, MtnDave wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Yesterday I ventured out for some more exploration.  I parked off 309 and walked down the big powerline to the RoW.  Once I reached the RoW I discovered that southbound travel is prohibited by a gate and heavy signage to keep out.

That's OK because I had planned my trip northward to Yeager overpass.  Well it was soggy and foggy but off I went.  The first bit is a little rough but passable.  In hand I had my trusty GPS, Topo map (circa 194 and  some of those nice Aerial PennPilot historical photos.

First objective was to stop at the spot on the maps and photos that appeared to be a large clearing on the east side of the RoW.  Well, it's still there in all it's clearness and it actually looks like someone takes care of it.  I saw no obvious signs of foundations or structures but it was clear that there was access to the RoW.  Sizeable clearing thad could have contained several structures.  Wonder just what that was.  Anybody got a clue?

Just past this clearing the RoW begins its long sweeping bend to Yeager overpass.  This is quite a high grade build-up spanning a valley with a stream passing underneath.  I did not see any archwork and suspect it is a pipe of some sort (closer examination is needed).  Regardless it is quite a fill.

After the sweep the Row straightens out and a residence is on the left just off the Row.  This is 2/10ths of a mile from Yeager overpass and this is the home that uses the remainder of the RoW as their driveway.

With the weather deteriorating I headed back for the powerline and the truck.  Along the powerline there are large piles of cut trees, some quite large and rotting.  Lots of junk including trailers, tanks and piles  and piles of all kinds of junk.  

The reason I mention this is I came upon Several steel beams with rivet configurations of older construction.  There were also some bracing pieces.  Next to this pile were several large piles of very thick (maybe 2") tounge and groove planks like you don't see these days (some had old style round head nails).

I paced off the beams as I was curious.  After returning to the truck I cut thru the fog over to Yeager overpass and paced off again.  Hmmmm, Beams and span of overpass pretty much the same.

So my query is.  Could it be possible that these may be salvaged portions of bridges and platforms?  I just looked at the Albert Station picture and just wonder about the platform construction.  I sure would not want to make an assumption but I am curious.  I know the rails were salvaged but I read nothing of what happened to the bridge and platform materials.

This was a short hike that reaped the most questions per mile.

What was that clearing?
How about the filled in grade?  
Is there anything to the Mystery structure materials?

Comments, opinions, a revisit for more inspection.

MtnDave

Unfortunately, that is one of the few lengths of the ROW I have not yet gotten to explore. However everything you've mentioned makes me really want to get out there and inspect it. I'd love to see those materials first hand.

As for the private property, that's a shame. It always made me just want to tell the person "Oh yeah? Well, Markle's 99 years lease on the properties isn't up yet!!" (although, I guess now it actually is...)

JhnZ33
Former Member

« Reply #50 on: Jan 3rd, 2007, 4:31am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Jan 1st, 2007, 9:47am, Old Guy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi Guys,

I just came across a fantastic source of vintage aerial photos.  It's under Railfan-Fallen Flags-Lehigh Valley-1939 Aerial Photos of PA.  It's also found at www.pennpilot.psu.edu  The site takes a while to navigate through but the 1938-1939 aerial photos can be accessed by clicking on  Display Historical Photo, the yellow dot where the old photo is centered and Image Quality High.  If you are familiar with the area you are searching, the WB&H ROW is plainly visible.  It's the next best thing to old topos.  
ENJOY !!!  

Old Guy

Quite an excellent resource here.

As I have much interest in the northern end of the WB&H, I downloaded quite a few of the historical high resolution pictures from Sugar Notch to Wilkes-Barre and traced the WB&H ROW from the tunnel all the way to the station in Wilkes-Barre.

My hunch is confirmed about the alignment of the line between the Brass rail restaurant and Coal street. The portal you see under the CNJ backtrack from Hazelton street in Ashley was ONLY used during the first alignment to Cunningham street in Ashley, where the WB&H transferred passengers to the Wilkes-Barre Trolley system to complete the trip to W-B. This alignment was in use while the WB&H line was being completed through Georgetown (1903-1907).  

After 1907, the line traversed roughly along present day 81 northbound lanes, skirting the base of the mountain, and then ducking under the CNJ backtrack near the area of Allen's scrapyard before curving to the left (north) past the Georgetown substation.

I will post a chunk of the photo that I've traced the ROW on so you could see what I am saying later today.

John

MtnDave
TRAINing

« Reply #51 on: Jan 3rd, 2007, 7:16am »

on Jan 3rd, 2007, 1:15am, Josh U. wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I'm not sure this is the Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton station at Nuangola, seeing as how the WB&H stations tend to just be concrete platforms with a pavilion on top, but there very well could have been another train station in Nungola. I don't know much else about that particular area, except where the WB&H ran, but there is a certain part of Nuangola that is referred to as "Nuangola Station". However, I'm not sure if this pertains to the old WB&H station that's there, or another station of a larger railway (such as Lehigh Valley or something).

But I think I would say that it's not the WB&H one, since it doesn't really bear a resemblance to the picture of Nuangola station in the first page of this forum.

On second inspection I have to agree with Josh that this station is much more elaborate than the WB&H platform station.  See how excited us newbies can get.  Still, it's a great picture and I would like to know what other station has a similar spelling.

MtnDave

robertjohndavis
Railfan
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #52 on: Jan 3rd, 2007, 9:31am »

Repeat after me... Google is my friend... Google is my friend...

5 minutes of Googling makes think that the station pictured above is not Nuangola, PA but Angola, NY on the New York Central.

Rob Davis

http://www.antiqueworldmarket.com/images/Premier%20Annex/OldPhotography/Angola%20Train%20Station.jpg

http://wnyrails.org/images/Angolanyc1.jpg

Ahead of the Torch
http://www.robertjohndavis.com/

Dixie911
TRAINing

« Reply #53 on: Jan 3rd, 2007, 11:28am »

MtnDave Thanks so Much !!! Great information. I will definately look up that Luzerene County Genealogy group and see if anyone can offer up any info. Thanks so much for your help. Feel free to pass it around to whoever you please. Very much appreciated. ;~)

Dixie911

Dixie911
TRAINing

« Reply #54 on: Jan 3rd, 2007, 11:31am »

on Jan 3rd, 2007, 1:15am, Josh U. wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Your right Josh. I just looked at that pic on the first post and it doesn't look anything like that. I so appreciate your advice. I guess I've got some more diggin' to do.  

Thanks again,
Dixie911

Dixie911
TRAINing

« Reply #55 on: Jan 3rd, 2007, 11:36am »

on Jan 3rd, 2007, 9:31am, robertjohndavis wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Repeat after me... Google is my friend... Google is my friend...

5 minutes of Googling makes think that the station pictured above is not Nuangola, PA but Angola, NY on the New York Central.

Rob Davis

http://www.antiqueworldmarket.com/images/Premier%20Annex/OldPhotography/Angola%20Train%20Station.jpg

http://wnyrails.org/images/Angolanyc1.jpg

Geezzz Rob Davis. I thought I was the Google Queen till you come up with that in 5 mins !!! Makes me question my whole being.    Thanks so much for that info. It looks like a dead ringer from the pic you posted. I guess I'll go and bother those people now?  

Much appreciated!
Dixie911

Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #56 on: Jan 3rd, 2007, 12:34pm »

on Jan 3rd, 2007, 11:31am, Dixie911 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Your right Josh. I just looked at that pic on the first post and it doesn't look anything like that. I so appreciate your advice. I guess I've got some more diggin' to do.  

Thanks again,
Dixie911

No problem! Sorry we couldn't help!

robertjohndavis
Railfan
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #57 on: Jan 3rd, 2007, 12:41pm »

on Jan 3rd, 2007, 11:36am, Dixie911 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I thought I was the Google Queen

You can still be the Google Queen as long as I get to remain the Google Court Jester.

Rob

Ahead of the Torch
http://www.robertjohndavis.com/

Dixie911
TRAINing

« Reply #58 on: Jan 3rd, 2007, 6:33pm »

on Jan 3rd, 2007, 12:41pm, robertjohndavis wrote:       (Click here for original message)

You can still be the Google Queen as long as I get to remain the Google Court Jester.

Rob

Sounds great!    Hey in my 'googlin' today i found a whole lot more 'Angola' cities. Like 5 more states. The New York one you found seems the most logical location wise since I knew that my grandfather worked on the oar boats that went up and down Lake Erie. So i'm leaning toward that one. But I found one in Indiana that, although the pic was taken about a mile away, it looks very similiar to your NY pic. So that's another direction I'm lookin' @ now. Still open for ideas if anyone out there gets any.  
Thanks so much!!
Dixie911

JhnZ33
Former Member
  RR_ROW_MAP1939cut12a.jpg - 143501 Bytes
« Reply #59 on: Jan 3rd, 2007, 6:57pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Ok, first chunk showing the area near the Brass Rail restaurant.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/RR_ROW_MAP1939cut12a.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »