Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 22nd, 2017, 1:31pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway Stations
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Transit and Commuter
   Traction
(Moderators: , NS3360)
   Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway Stations
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway Stations  (Read 2705 times)
Josh U.
Railfan
Re: Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway Stations

« Reply #20 on: Dec 15th, 2006, 11:25pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Dec 15th, 2006, 8:49am, JhnZ33 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Hey Josh, great additions to the photos.  

The timbers in the picture look to be too intact for being 70-some years old or better. One would think that any remnants of wood structure being that old and left to the elements without maintenance, would be long gone by now.  

Not saying it isn't from the WB&H, but if it is, I would venture a guess that the structure was probably under care and maintenance, and was most likely used well after the WB&H closed it's doors.

Now, if we could only find photos of these stations in their heyday... that would be great.

John

Thanks John!

I didn't think about it, but perhaps you're right, the do look pretty well preserved. This station is located near the Job Corps, so maybe they kept it preserved for a while, or maybe the structure only recently collapsed that way, that may account for it also. If not, it could jsut be that it's a very remote section of the woods (?). Who knows? lol

And I don't think we're lucky enough to find pictures of them in their heyday, although that would be great!

But I hope to get some more pictures of the stations soon.

Exploring the old WB & H, and looking for old pictures of the right of way.
MtnDave
TRAINing

« Reply #21 on: Dec 20th, 2006, 12:11am »

Greetings,

I happened across this board while searching for some info on the WB&H transit line.  I found way more than I bargained for.  

I am not a true RR buff but do dabble in some history.  Grandpap was a B&O man of long ago and I still recall the stories.

I spend my free time hiking Northeast and North Central PA and encounter and use ROW's quite often.  A friends cabin sits along the now defunct S&NY line and I have explored many of the stations along the route and have gathered a bit of history along the way.  But that is another story.

Closer to home, I have used the ROW in Mountaintop for my jaunts many times but just recently became aware of it's history.  Well you all know what happens.  One thing lead to another and now "I" have the bug.

Today I decided to plot out a portion of nearby ROW.  I started out at Nuangola station platform and headed south grabbing coordinates along the way as follows.

* Nuangola Station platform  N 40  09.056’     W 75  57.077

* Substation south of Nuangola  N 41  08.937  W 75  57.019
(Now a residence)

* ROW underpass near Ice Ponds N 41  08.374  W 75  56.850

* Pine View Station   N 41  08.207   W 75  57.004
(Somebody is preserving)

* Blytheburn Station   N 41  07.513   W75  57.122
(Platform is somewhat overgrown)

* ROW small overpass just   N 41  07.474   W075  57.130
beyond Blytheburn Sta.  

* Iron Bridge over creek  N 41  07.237    W 75  57.162
at Blytheburn (above dam).  The ROW is buried in downed pine trees from tornado.

* ROW crossing    N 41  06.649     W 75  56.858
At Alberdeen Road.  Just to the south there appears to be a ROW underopass in the woods but there is no existing active road.  

* ROW overpass   N 41  06.310      W75  56.508
On Yeager Road.  The south side of ROW is being used as a driveway to a home.

I was unable to get to the Albert Station and it appears it may be on private land and permission will need to be secured.  I also became aware of a small substation somewhere south of Albert station.  I may know where this is and will explore at a later date.

I did plot a couple of spots further south but until I can connect the dots I'll hold back the coordinates.

Next trip out I will plot coordinates from Nuangola Station to the tunnel.  There are several landmarks along the way.  Then I will be heading into unknown territory and I may be seeking assistance.

Question, it appears the ROW followed the path of the present day RT 309 at one point.  Did it go anywhere near the Stagecoach Inn and if so did the Stagecoach play a part in the story?

Winter is a great time to look for the well hidden by foliage spots (and the bugs ain't bad either).

Hopefully if I can get enough waypoints gathered I can transfer them to a topo and get a decent picture of the ROW end to end.

Gotta get that book too.  The mileposts would be a big help.

Well OK, I've rambeled on quite enough.

Hope the coords help.

Thanx

MtnDave

Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #22 on: Dec 20th, 2006, 5:59pm »

on Dec 20th, 2006, 12:11am, MtnDave wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Greetings,

I happened across this board while searching for some info on the WB&H transit line.  I found way more than I bargained for.  

I am not a true RR buff but do dabble in some history.  Grandpap was a B&O man of long ago and I still recall the stories.

I spend my free time hiking Northeast and North Central PA and encounter and use ROW's quite often.  A friends cabin sits along the now defunct S&NY line and I have explored many of the stations along the route and have gathered a bit of history along the way.  But that is another story.

Closer to home, I have used the ROW in Mountaintop for my jaunts many times but just recently became aware of it's history.  Well you all know what happens.  One thing lead to another and now "I" have the bug.

Today I decided to plot out a portion of nearby ROW.  I started out at Nuangola station platform and headed south grabbing coordinates along the way as follows.

* Nuangola Station platform            N 40  09.056’     W 75  57.077

* Substation south of Nuangola            N 41  08.937       W 75  57.019
(Now a residence)

* ROW underpass near Ice Ponds      N 41  08.374       W 75  56.850

* Pine View Station                  N 41  08.207        W 75  57.004
(Somebody is preserving)

* Blytheburn Station                  N 41  07.513        W75  57.122
(Platform is somewhat overgrown)

* ROW small overpass just             N 41  07.474        W075  57.130
beyond Blytheburn Sta.        

* Iron Bridge over creek            N 41  07.237         W 75  57.162
at Blytheburn (above dam).  The ROW is buried in downed pine trees from tornado.

* ROW crossing                   N 41  06.649          W 75  56.858
At Alberdeen Road.  Just to the south there appears to be a ROW underopass in the woods but there is no existing active road.  

* ROW overpass                  N 41  06.310           W75  56.508
On Yeager Road.  The south side of ROW is being used as a driveway to a home.

I was unable to get to the Albert Station and it appears it may be on private land and permission will need to be secured.  I also became aware of a small substation somewhere south of Albert station.  I may know where this is and will explore at a later date.

I did plot a couple of spots further south but until I can connect the dots I'll hold back the coordinates.

Next trip out I will plot coordinates from Nuangola Station to the tunnel.  There are several landmarks along the way.  Then I will be heading into unknown territory and I may be seeking assistance.

Question, it appears the ROW followed the path of the present day RT 309 at one point.  Did it go anywhere near the Stagecoach Inn and if so did the Stagecoach play a part in the story?

Winter is a great time to look for the well hidden by foliage spots (and the bugs ain't bad either).

Hopefully if I can get enough waypoints gathered I can transfer them to a topo and get a decent picture of the ROW end to end.

Gotta get that book too.  The mileposts would be a big help.

Well OK, I've rambeled on quite enough.

Hope the coords help.

Thanx

MtnDave

Hey, Dave. First of all, welcome to Railfan! It's great to see new people gaining an interest in the rails of the past and present.

I've got to tell you, I'm not a true RR buff either, I merely stumbled across the WB&H stuff last year, because it's so close to my house, and I found quite interesting. So, making a long story short, I'm hooked lol.

As for the things you've mentioned the coordinates for, I assume you had a GPS unit of sorts in hand? It makes a good addition to to forum. A lot of things you mentioned, you may find pictures of in our realted forum (here: http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?board=Traction;action=display;num=1053481726 ). I've seen a lot of them myself.

Anyway, as for some of the thigns you've mentioned:

I've seen that one concrete abutment in the woods near Alberdeen Rd., but I never got a good enough look at it. I doubt it was a road, but it could be a dried up creek bed or something of the sort.

This other substation you came across is actually news to me. I've never known for there to be another one besides the St. Johns Powerhouse and the Nuangola and Georgetown substations. It's not mentioned in the book either, but perhaps it's something else related to the line.

As for the actual Albert station, John and I have discussed this before, and we're not sure the actual station platform exists anymore. By the picture we have previously in the forum, it appears to have been made entirely out of wood, thereby probably eroding over the long time since the line closed. I actually have an idea of where it may have been though.

As for your question, the WB&H did run next to Route 309 for a short while, between Nescopeck Pass and around the area of Yeager's Creek. The ROW still exists on the embankment off the side of 309 (downhill from the highway). You can pick it out by the line of telephone poles that runs along it. It came up the mountain and passed right behid what is now Damenti's Restaurant. There is even an old abutment at the crest of the mountain (S. Main Rd. has since been rerouted over top of the old ROW).  

It did run near the Stagecoach Inn, but not incredibly close. After leaving Nescopeck Pass, it went through the area of what is now the Sand Springs golf course. The Stage Coach itself wasn't related to the line (I believe the Stage Coach Inn is named that way because 309 was once an old stage coach highway.).

If you need any other information or need to know where the ROW goes, feel free to ask. I look forward to seeing any map you can trace. It would be nice to have a new map, since the old ones are slightly off. But again, if you need any help at all, I'd be more than glad to.

-Josh

MtnDave
TRAINing

« Reply #23 on: Dec 20th, 2006, 8:59pm »

Josh,

Thanks for the welcome and glad to be here.

I am aware of the other thread and all the great pictures and related info.  It was the catalyst that really got me interested.  Hope I'm running this in the right thread.

Yup, I do have a GPS which travels with me most all the time.  I use it for several hobbies and mapping projects.  Now I have another use for it.  Oh boy !!!  I tried to take all the readings while standing on the actual ROW to be as accurate as possible.

The Alberdeen abutment will be getting a closer look soon.  I don't think I saw it posted and it's a short hop in.  I will use stealth mode just in case. Didn't see any old roads located there on any maps I have but there are crossings elsewhere (example on the ROW from Nuangola to tunnel) that were provided for access to homes/farms.  This may be the case here.

The substation I mentioned appears on the map that is posted at Pine View station (I think a pic is posted on the other forum).  It looks like it is just south past Albert station along a bend in the ROW.  In referencing a topo that shows the ROW (kinda) there is a structure in that area.  Another mystery to solve.  I think I was at the St John's power house but need to be sure (I did grab the coords).

I agree that with Albert station being wood it may be degraded but I will say from experience that there just may be something left.  When treking the S&NY ROW I walked several miles back in and found a station that the wood posts for the platform were still standing.  Probably 25+ years older than Alberts.  Also in researching my family I found wooden remains of the original homestead cabin in WV from 1852.  Got some of that preserved here at home.

The picture of Albert Station may have clues that could be used.  The lay of the land, drop in elevation, distant turn and mountains in the background all may help.  Getting the mileposts will help too with plotting.

Wasn't sure on the ROW/ 309 / stagecoach proximity.  Stagecoach was named so as the original road was where 309 is now and that was a stagecoach stop.  That is another story in it's self.  I was just curious.

I never noticed the abutment near Damenti's and will need to check that out and add the coords.

Beginning of next week I'll be plotting coords for the Nuangola to Tunnel ROW (welcome to join in if you like).  After that I'm off the mountain and in less familure territory.  I'd like to accuratly plot the course from where I left off south first.  I did do some scouting but the ROW is less evident and driving, looking for signs and watching the GPS get edgy sometimes.  I did locate several abutments and some ROW evidence in scattered spots but the stations, structures & bridges evaded my time allowance.

I'm glad to contribute whatever I can and will post as I can.  If you or anyone else would like to set coords for any found locations or landmarks feel free to contact me and I'll assist where I can.  Also, I'm game for any see and record missions, being in Mountaintop I'm pretty much centrally located.

Well, as you can tell I'm long winded but that's me.

Looking forward to some great fun on this project.  

Till later.

MtnDave

Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #24 on: Dec 21st, 2006, 1:08pm »

on Dec 20th, 2006, 8:59pm, MtnDave wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Josh,

Thanks for the welcome and glad to be here.

I am aware of the other thread and all the great pictures and related info.  It was the catalyst that really got me interested.  Hope I'm running this in the right thread.

Yup, I do have a GPS which travels with me most all the time.  I use it for several hobbies and mapping projects.  Now I have another use for it.  Oh boy !!!  I tried to take all the readings while standing on the actual ROW to be as accurate as possible.

The Alberdeen abutment will be getting a closer look soon.  I don't think I saw it posted and it's a short hop in.  I will use stealth mode just in case. Didn't see any old roads located there on any maps I have but there are crossings elsewhere (example on the ROW from Nuangola to tunnel) that were provided for access to homes/farms.  This may be the case here.

The substation I mentioned appears on the map that is posted at Pine View station (I think a pic is posted on the other forum).  It looks like it is just south past Albert station along a bend in the ROW.  In referencing a topo that shows the ROW (kinda) there is a structure in that area.  Another mystery to solve.  I think I was at the St John's power house but need to be sure (I did grab the coords).

I agree that with Albert station being wood it may be degraded but I will say from experience that there just may be something left.  When treking the S&NY ROW I walked several miles back in and found a station that the wood posts for the platform were still standing.  Probably 25+ years older than Alberts.  Also in researching my family I found wooden remains of the original homestead cabin in WV from 1852.  Got some of that preserved here at home.

The picture of Albert Station may have clues that could be used.  The lay of the land, drop in elevation, distant turn and mountains in the background all may help.  Getting the mileposts will help too with plotting.

Wasn't sure on the ROW/ 309 / stagecoach proximity.  Stagecoach was named so as the original road was where 309 is now and that was a stagecoach stop.  That is another story in it's self.  I was just curious.

I never noticed the abutment near Damenti's and will need to check that out and add the coords.

Beginning of next week I'll be plotting coords for the Nuangola to Tunnel ROW (welcome to join in if you like).  After that I'm off the mountain and in less familure territory.  I'd like to accuratly plot the course from where I left off south first.  I did do some scouting but the ROW is less evident and driving, looking for signs and watching the GPS get edgy sometimes.  I did locate several abutments and some ROW evidence in scattered spots but the stations, structures & bridges evaded my time allowance.

I'm glad to contribute whatever I can and will post as I can.  If you or anyone else would like to set coords for any found locations or landmarks feel free to contact me and I'll assist where I can.  Also, I'm game for any see and record missions, being in Mountaintop I'm pretty much centrally located.

Well, as you can tell I'm long winded but that's me.

Looking forward to some great fun on this project.  

Till later.

MtnDave

Haha, that thread was the catalyst that got me to join Railfan actually. When I saw the old pictures of Solomon Creek Viaduct and such, that was it. lol

I must say you're lucky to have a GPS unit. I'd love to have one, if only I could afford it.

But back to the topic at hand...

About what we were discussing with the abutment near Alberdeen Rd. I'm not sure if you know this or not, so I guess I should just say anyway, but when the WB&H was still in service, there were no grade crossings at all. There were only numerous overpasses and underpasses. That actually makes kind of a cheat to know what roads in the area were in use back then, and which had yet to be built. However, there are many places (such as I mentioned with S. Main Rd. by Damenti's), where they have rerouted the old roads over the ROW just to make them easier to drive I suppose. This is also the case with the road near the Nuangola Station. They've also done this in St. John's too, right near the power house. However, the old abutments are usually still standing. But some of the roads still run through the underpasses or overtop of the overpasses also. Near the Alberdeen abutment we've been discussing, the ROW still runs under S. Main Rd., although I think the underpass may have been slightly filled in in the past years (I've never gotten around to getting a good look).

I just took another look at the map at Pine View. In all my drives along there and hikes, I haven't seen remains of it, but there are parts I've never gotten around to walking. One is the wooded area between Alberdeen Rd. and Blytheburn Rd. I'm not sure if that's where you meant. But that could also be the general area of where the remains of the Albert station could be (if there are any). But if the structure you saw was near Albert, it wasn't the St. Johns power house. That's quite a way south from there, actually very close to my house (in Drums).

As for the tunnel hike you mentioned, if I can, I'd love to join you. I've been trying to get back up there since the last time I was last fall, but my plans always fell through. Also, if you need, for your GPS plotting, I can show/tell you what's left of the ROW from the Hazle Park car barns all the way to Georgetown substation, however, you will run into some quite literal "roadblocks" where new roads, and I-81 have been built.

Other than that, if there's any news, be sure to let me know. I'm always up for a hike or exploration.  

-Josh

JhnZ33
Former Member

« Reply #25 on: Dec 21st, 2006, 9:30pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Dec 20th, 2006, 8:59pm, MtnDave wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Till later.

MtnDave

Dave, welcome to the board.  

If you need assistance from where the north portal exited Penobscot Mtn north (which is today buried and hard to find if you don't know where to look), give me or Rick (XPLORER) a yell. We've been all over the remains of the WB&H in this area, and are constantly researching the WB&H.  

I live in the Ashley area and can also show you the portal where the WB&H passed under the CNJ backtrack and the substation at the end of the first alignment (which still stands today) when the WB&H transferred passengers to the WB trolley system, while the line to W-B was being constructed.

John

XPLORER
Historian

« Reply #26 on: Dec 22nd, 2006, 3:24pm »

Welcome aboard Dave,
It looks like you and Josh have been busy. Like John said drop us a line when you get this way. I live not far from Blytheburn Station and have been going to the Tunnel (the cannonball as the locals call it) for a long time now via ATV but you can aprk along 81 and just walk down to it. We have done some good chunks of ROW from Yeagers Road back towards Wilkes Barre but it has been difficult due to urban sprawl. Keep up the good work.

I have pictures of the Tunnel at the bottom of the page in the link below
http://hometown.aol.com/w5brr/XPLORERSATVADVENTURES.html
Rick

« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2006, 3:27pm by XPLORER » Logged
MtnDave
TRAINing

« Reply #27 on: Dec 22nd, 2006, 8:57pm »

Thanks to all for the BIG welcome.  You all sound like a great bunch with much invested in exploring (a favorite pastime of mine).

Xplorer,  we are almost neighbors as I live near Alberts corners.  We both sit pretty much in the middle of this treasure.  JhnZ33, sounds like you have the North End to WB covered pretty well and Josh has the southern end to Hazelton buttoned down.  

I really appreciate all your offers of assistance and would like to draw upon the respective accumulated knowledge of each of you at some time to move my little endevor along.  My ultimate goal is to get as many of the points of interest plotted as well as the ROW and get it overlayed onto a topo via the trusty GPS and 'puter.  I would like to mark off not only stations but powerhouses, service buildings, terminals, over and under passes, the tunnel and any other points of interest on or near the ROW.  Of course as it all falls together I'll be passing the results back at you.  

A couple of Quick questions.  Is THE BOOK available locally or will I need to seek and find?  Also, is there a list of mileposts with reference points?

Well, as we all know the fat man in the funny red suit is taking front stage for the next few days, so the project will be on holiday hold.  After the 25th I'm sure I'll have more than a few pounds of cookies to work off.

I had set Tuesday / Wednesday aside for some more exploring/plotting but as we all know the weatherman isn't too predictable so I'm not going to overplan until closer.  If the weather cooperates I would like to pace off Nuangola to Cannonball on Tuesday.  Your welcome to join me if you wish and I'll post my plans on Monday when the weather is more predictable.

I'll also have some time open the following Saturday thru Monday.

Ya'll get your x-mas shopping done now and have a nice holiday.

Back at ya soon

Dave

Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #28 on: Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:55am »

About your question...

I'm not sure about the other guys, but I bought a used copy off of amazon.com. Just search "Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway". It does have mileage points in it. It has the distances from each of the terminals to each of the stations along the way. It's also got tons of pictures and diagrams about the line. Quite a good read.  

Good luck with trying to get a copy. I'm sure you'll be able to.

Perhaps if any of us join you next week, we could bring it along also.

Other than that, I hope all of you have a great Christmas!

XPLORER
Historian

« Reply #29 on: Dec 23rd, 2006, 5:12am »

Dave,
I picked up my book on Ebay. If you dont want to buy it and just want to copy some reference info the Marian Sutherland Kirby Library on Kirby Ave has it in the reference section. It is full of great information but it is written a bit funny. It kind of bounces all over the place at times so it is a hard read to gather the info you want.

John and I in the summer did a quick trek around the mountain that started at the Rice Twp Fire Co/Henry Drive to the Big Wap dam/Blytheburn Rd xing/Alberdeen Rd xing/South Main Rd xing to te intersection of Old Turnpike Rd and 309 and called it a day. I found Yeager Road later in the summer and just took pics a few weeks ago.  
Happy Holidays,
Rick

« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2006, 5:47am by XPLORER » Logged
JhnZ33
Former Member

« Reply #30 on: Dec 23rd, 2006, 6:55am »

on Dec 22nd, 2006, 8:57pm, MtnDave wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Is THE BOOK available locally or will I need to seek and find?  

Dave

There is one on ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wilkes-Barre-and-Hazleton-Railway-no-reserve_W0QQitemZ220063160135QQihZ012QQcategoryZ78178QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Josh U.
Railfan
  Traction/3843_1[1].jpg (Note: Can't Find Attachment!)
« Reply #31 on: Dec 23rd, 2006, 11:28am »

Ah, John, you got to it before me lol.

By the way, I just got a call from a gentleman this morning, concerning the Danville, Hazleton and Wilkes-Barre RR. Now, I've never heard of this line, and as far as I know, it never connected to ours here, seeing as how I've never seen it mentioned in the book or any of the forums. There is a picture from it for sale on ebay. It's the first one there if you search under "Hazleton".  

Have any of you ever heard of it?

« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2006, 11:32am by Josh U. » Logged

JhnZ33
Former Member

« Reply #32 on: Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:12pm »

on Dec 23rd, 2006, 11:28am, Josh U. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Ah, John, you got to it before me lol.

By the way, I just got a call from a gentleman this morning, concerning the Danville, Hazleton and Wilkes-Barre RR. Now, I've never heard of this line, and as far as I know, it never connected to ours here, seeing as how I've never seen it mentioned in the book or any of the forums. There is a picture from it for sale on ebay. It's the first one there if you search under "Hazleton".  

Have any of you ever heard of it?

Nope, But I've seen the photo you mention. I was going to bid on it, then changed my mind.

Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #33 on: Dec 23rd, 2006, 2:15pm »

on Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:12pm, JhnZ33 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Nope, But I've seen the photo you mention. I was going to bid on it, then changed my mind.

Ah, well, I'll have to see if I can gather anymore info on it.

JhnZ33
Former Member

« Reply #34 on: Dec 23rd, 2006, 6:35pm »

Another one on ebay with a buy it now price, and hardcover to boot!

WB&H book

« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2006, 6:36pm by JhnZ33 » Logged
MtnDave
TRAINing

« Reply #35 on: Dec 25th, 2006, 7:48pm »

Santa has returned me from several days on the road visiting family.  Looks like while I was gone there was a buying spree.  Personally I'm deficient of the Ebay gene.  We all have our handicaps.  Congrats to any winning bidders.

Well, tomorrow looks pretty much like a washout for foot travel.  I may just jaunt over to the library and take a look at their copy for a spell and see what else they got.  Maybe I can find some old maps or other related info.

Wednesday looks better and is my last free day until Saturday.  If it is not raining I will be heading for the south side of Cannonball from Nuangola Station (firehouse) at 10:00am to plot some coordinates.  Anybody interested is welcome to join.  

MtnDave

Old Guy
TRAINing

« Reply #36 on: Dec 26th, 2006, 6:50pm »

Hi Guys,  
I sent Josh the message about the pic of the Danville Hazleton & Wilkes Barre rail car.  I never heard of that line or anything about it.  Interesting pic though.  
I'm also local to the southern end and am interested in retracing my former excursions of 30 or 40 years ago.  I probably can't provide any more info. than you already have gathered, but it would be enjoyable to see and photograph the current conditions.  It's good to have a common thread.  Once the foliage returns, the pieces of the puzzle are much harder to assemble.

Old Guy

MtnDave
TRAINing

« Reply #37 on: Dec 26th, 2006, 8:10pm »

A rainy afternoon is a good time to visit the library.  They have the WB & H book locked up in a closet full of old publications.  It was like a candy box for me.  

Their copy can't be checked out so I took a first read in one of the confy chairs they provide in the very nice reading room.  Very interesting and I'll be revisiting the reading room again.

A couple of interesting facts that have sparked my interest.

Apparently an automobile with a family of seven dove of the Yeager road overpass and fell in front of an Interurban killing the whole family.  (Side store to research).  On my original visit to Teager Road I thought the ROW went over the road but the story seems to contradict this.  I may have to rethink the direction of the ROW at this point.

There were (are?) 33 overpasses/underpasses on the ROW.  Wonder how many there are left.  (we shall see).  I now think the underpass between Alberdeen road and Main road is where the old Alberdeen road may have crossed over.  Still need to locate the passage accross Main road.

They spoke of Pine View Tavern.  Now know as the Ice House and a mighty fine place to grab some grub and tip a few cold ones.

I did see that the placed the tunnel tranverese line under I-81 at milepost 161/10.

I am very interested in locating the remains of the Black Creek Viaduct.   (Something about Lehigh RR mentioned here).  Also need to visit the bridge over Solomons creek.

The accident at the Gap sounded horriffic !!!

Did copy the milepsots and will now be able to use as point of reference.

Well tomorrow I'll be beating the bush.

I can see I'll be having some fun.  

MtnDave

MtnDave
TRAINing

« Reply #38 on: Dec 28th, 2006, 8:49pm »

Well, a taste of winter met me yesterday with cooler temperatures and snow squalls mixed with spurts of sunshine and warming.  A good day to be on the trail (or in this case the ROW).

I hiked the section from Nuangola Station to the tunnel yesterday and an interesting day it turned into.  

After confirming the coordinates for the platform I moved on to marking off the overpass just north.  While doing so I observed a set of steps jammed between the north abutment and the building.  These steps appear to be of station vintage and not of later existing building.  Curious about that.

Had a nice walk back in and along the way I observed many of the downed poles.  At the 1 mile mark I came upon the ROW overpass and coordinates were recorded.  There are several structures here and I plotted them all out for future reference. (more about this shortly).

Continuing on thru several minor cuts I came to another foundation (?) that is being used as a target range (again more in a moment).

Upon reaching the tunnel I met a very nice gentelman and we chatted for quite a while.  He was very informative as he was a native to Rice Twp. and his mother remembers traveling the routes to and fro.

Some interesting things I found out from him were that the "target range" foundation is where a construction vehicle maint.  building was placed during the I-81 construction.  Exploration on the trip back revealed may large filter cannisters, tires, etc. dumped over the bank.  Not so interesting or related to WB&HR.

More interesting was the group of structures back at the overpass.  This was locally known as "The Duck Farm".  Apparently a thriving family business raising ducks and geese.  My understanding is that this dates to before the ROW was there explaining the  overpass for access.  Long after the demise of the WB&HR the Game Commission bought up all the land but this property owner held his own and stayed on for several more years until the next generation gave it up.  I was able to locate the house, a possible barn next to it, foundation posts for the duck house (approx 40 x 120 ), with a well in the center (don't fall in), another small building down by the stream and the remains of a dam.  All structures were of concrete foundation but poor condition.

The gentelman even gave me a piece of threaded angle iron that he believes was part of something associated with WB&HR.  I only found downed poses, shards of insulators and of course cinders.

After fighting thru a pretty heafty snow squall back to the truck I decided to retrace my previous run from Nuangola to Yeager Road.  I discovered a bridge over the creek near the powerhouse I missed before.  If you look under the modern gaurdrails you will see the original pipe rails of the bridge.

Tracing back to Alberdeen Road I took a hike back to the overrpass I had spied earlier.  It appears that Alberdeen Road has been relocated and originally passed under the ROW back in there.  I also was able to hoof it over to Main Road and found that this underpass has been filled in on both sides of the road.  When driving on Main Road there is an obvious hump where the ROW passed under.

I was perplexed by the Yeager Road story of the vehicle accident and went back over.  For sure the Row overpassed Yeager so either I missread the story or the car fell UP.  Stood up on the top and using previous coordinates to up-line I sighted the approx. track of the ROW to the north.  Depending on what map you look at Albert station is either on the north or south side of Yeager Road.  If it is on the north side it on a farm that appears to have had much re-grading.  If it is just to the south it is where a driveway runs on the ROW to a house.  Elusive ain't it.  

Ran up to by Damenti's and posted the coords for that overpass and then drove north on 309 a bit.  I pulled over several time to lok down on the very obvious ROW and accompying "dump sites".  Maybe about a mile or so north of Damenti's there is a brick structure along the ROW.  This I had spotted before.  It appears to be of similar age as the other structures (powerhouses, etc) and has the remants of commerdial iron fence and light posts.  On on map Iit indicates a sub-station at thios approx. location but is not mentioned in the book.  Another conflict to resolve.

I need to get a closer look and it appears kinda occupied, maybe.  Sure is a lot of junk around it.  I think a walk along this section of ROW is in order,  A trip from Damenti's to as far as I can go may get a better picture of where Albert station was.

Well that's todays report.  I did get pictures but not downloaded yet.  Since the coordinates are getting long so I will not post but have available for reference and when I'm done I'll get mapped out.

All in all it was a GREAT day out.

Maybe Sunday I'll be running another section of ROW.

MtnDave

« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2006, 11:08pm by MtnDave » Logged
Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #39 on: Dec 29th, 2006, 2:18pm »

Wow, seems as though I missed a good chunk of time on here!

Dave, I meant to tell you, I had asked about that vehicle accident before (in the other forum, I had asked if anyone knew of a date for it so that I could look it up in the newspaper archives in Wilkes-Barre, as I've already looked up the ones about the St. Johns crash), and I believe you may have misread it. The book only says it was near Yeagers Creek, not that it was on Yeagers Road. So, I'm thinking it may have happened on the overpass over S. Main Rd. The picture in the book where they describe this looks very similar to the S. Main Rd. overpass.

As for any future hikes you may take in the Southern end, feel free to contact me. I live in Drums, and I can trace the ROW from Hazle Park to anywhere beyond (up until Georgetown that is, because no one seems to know where the ROW actually went following the cross over Solomon Creek and the substation at Georgetown). I can point out the left over structures around my house (such as the old Nescopeck Creek bridges and the old abutments over Old Turnpike Rd), and even the site of the St. John's crash in 1928.

It sounds like you had a good hike to the tunnel. I'm sorry I couldn't join. Hopefully another time!

Oh, and lastly, you had asked about the Black Creek Viaduct. There aren't jsut remains of this viaduct, it's actually still in use! It's within the Valmont Industrial Park in Hazleton, and they still have tracks across it. I can point that out to you as well.

Well, I think I've covered everything I want to cover, so until next time!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »