Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 16th, 2017, 9:51pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway Stations
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Transit and Commuter
   Traction
(Moderators: , NS3360)
   Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway Stations
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway Stations  (Read 2725 times)
schieftain
TRAINing
View Profile  

Re: Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway Stations

« Reply #100 on: Aug 9th, 2010, 12:55pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Makes sense. Looks like that's about a mile from Blytheburn station.

B and O Frank
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #101 on: Aug 29th, 2011, 11:05am »

on Jan 4th, 2007, 2:32pm, AdamCKach wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Just a small, unrelated question to the preceding discussion.  In the Quinby book, he provides photos of the WB&H station before and after its conversion to a service station.  Do you know if this station still exists?

I ask because on North State Street, behind Pennsylvania Ave (North State Street is between the W-B Police HQ and the Luzerne County Courthouse Annex known as "Penn Place" I believe), there is a service garage that looks strikingly similar to the most recent photo in the book.  Though the book shows a garage with two doors, the garage on State Street has one (the center one), but on the left you can see where one door was closed with brick.  In addition, the roof like of the station follows the descending step pattern.  The last change is that in the book, the station is sided, but the current incarnation is brick.  But, the side windows appeared dead-on also.

This garage is located generally where the WB&H station would have been.

Am I on something here?  Or did I miss a post where this idea is dismissed?

I'm a little late to the party, but if this question was not specifically answered...  

The Terminal Building in Wilkes-Barre fronted right on Pennsylvania Blvd., on the West side of the street, facing the site of the old Laurel Line Terminal and Loop (now occupied by the Times-Leader newspaper press plant).  

After the WB&H was liquidated and the trestle was removed (c.1935), the 2nd and 3rd stories of the Terminal Bldg. were taken down. and the front 1/3 of the building cut-back to create a driveway apron for the service station / tire store. These modifcations were all completed before WW II.

The service station incarnation of the WB & H Terminal was in existence up through the Agnes Flood of 1972... not sure if it re-opened afterwards.

It was definitely gone and replaced by the office building and nursing home next-door by the time I came to Wilkes-Barre in 1985.

The street that runs North-South through the middle of that block, between Union and Market Sts is called State St. and ran behind the WB&H Terminal

The best that I can determine from the old photos, the loading platform & trestle curved behind the Terimnal Bldg. almost reaching back to State St.  

There are garages of that 1900-1940 era along State St., but none of them were related to the WB&H.

From 1996 through fall of 2010, I worked in Wilkes-Barre, at  the F.M. Kirby Center ( former Comerford/ Paramount Theatre ), and my commute gave me ample opportunity for dead-rail-roading along the way... mostly focusing on Laurel Line and LVRR, but during my last couple years down there, I got really interested in the WB & H.  

Too bad so much of the WB&H  from Solomon's Gap  north into Wilkes-Barre he been obliterated.  

B&O Frank
B and O Frank
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #102 on: Aug 29th, 2011, 11:08am »

on Mar 19th, 2007, 8:01pm, Krup wrote:       (Click here for original message)
First time posting to site.

I'm from the W-B area and many locals talk about a train robbery that happened in the Suger Notch/Warrior Run area and the "Cannonball". I've got the Quinby book but there's no mention of any train robbery. Did such an event take place, and could it have happened on the the Lehigh Valley Railroad instead?

Isn't there an annecdote in the Laurel Line book about  a Glen Alden Coal Company payroll robbery in the late '20s, with the thieves somehow trying to utilize the Laurel Line for getaway ?

B&O Frank
schieftain
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #103 on: Aug 8th, 2015, 9:55am »

Looks like it's been a while since anyone has posted on this site. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I used to live in Mountain Top– Walden Park specifically, when I was a teen, and we would regularly ride our bikes through trails to the old ROW. I explored a lot of the old grade on foot and on bike. That was from 1974 - 1979.  

I haven't been back there is over 20 years. Back then, there was a farmhouse just the ROW between Nescopeck Pass and Yeager Road, It was south of the big curve/fill south of the Yeager Rd crossing. Just below the fill on the north-east side was an old hunting camp we called the Rat House. It was abdndoned and in the process of being vandalized and torn apart. About a mile or so below that was the bigger farm/farmhouse. It was a large, square, 2-story house we called the Pink Mansion. One night it burned, arson I believe. But I still remember going inside (it had been abandoned). There was a pond, and some large fields around it, and there was a barn just off the ROW. Someone had been maintaing the barn and using it. There was a lane that led from the farm to an old (abandoned) Boy Scout camp behind the farm (we camped there once wih permission from the landwoner). There was also a lane from the farm that went under the ROW. There was a concrete overpass for the railway here. On the other side of the ROW, the lane led to some other fields, which were well grown up with brush, and there was another farm on that side. The stone foundation for a barn was there, and near a collapsed house was a well which was covered with an old piece of tin roof (if that well hasn't been filled in, it's still there and someone could fall into it. My dad and I used to hunt all over that area. I believe a lot of that area was owned by the Yeager family, who lived in a farmouse on Yeager Rd, just below the old ROW overpass of Yeager Rd.  

Shortly before we moved in 1979, PECO? built a high power line through that area to the then "new" nuclear power plant way over in Berwick. A few years later (1983?) I visited the area again with a friend. and discovered someone has built a sawmill/railroad tie operatoin at the location of the older farm (on the east side). They were cutting timber, and dipping it in big tanks of creosote, then hauling it out via a haul road they had made out to 309. I don't know if that operation is still actve.

One escapade I remember was a bike trip a bunch of us made to the Penobscot Mtn. tunnel. We biked from Walden Park to the tunnel using the ROW as much as possible. At the tunnel we went all the way in to the north/sealed end. If I remember correctly, there was a concrete wall at that end. Climbing over the cave-ins was fun,  but a little scary- wondering if it might cave in again... completely sealing us in. Unknown to me, some of my friends had brought firecrackers and started setting them off while we were at the far end. STUPID. Fortunately, nothing happened, but I always think what could have happened, if we had triggered another cave in.. we'd be in there for all eternity.  

I know back then they were still using the ROW as a power-line ROW for much of the route.  if anyone found insulators aloing the way, they may not necessarily be old ones from the orignal line. But could be from the 50s or 60s. Unless the old ones had WB&H RR or something like that on them. I don't remember seeing any old artifacts from the RR, other than the station platforms, sub-station, bridge abutments, etc.  I would love to find some relic on ebay or someplace as a souvenir (an insulator, a brick, spike...) with WB&H on it.  

I've often thought recently that the ROW would make a great rail-trail. It would be a huge undertaing, and require some creative detours at I-80 and the tunnel.  

« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2015, 10:03am by schieftain » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »