Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 16th, 2017, 3:41pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway Stations
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Transit and Commuter
   Traction
(Moderators: , NS3360)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway Stations  (Read 2716 times)
Josh U.
Railfan
  Picturejru2s_camer_079.jpg - 39637 Bytes
« on: May 8th, 2006, 6:56pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

All along the old WB and H, there can be found the old station platforms.  Sometimes they are easy to spot when you drive past, other times you have to walk through trees and shrubs to get to them. Some have also fallen victim to development in the area. Does anyone have any pictures of these in their heyday? Or even any stories if they are old enough to remember?  

Here is a present day photo of the old Nuangola Station.  Further down the line, in the Southern direction, still stands the old platforms for Pine View and Blytheburn. Since the ROW is paved now from Blytheburn to Nuangola Station (currently Henry Dr.), these three are either right on the side of the road or near it.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/Picturejru2s_camer_079.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Exploring the old WB & H, and looking for old pictures of the right of way.
JhnZ33
Former Member
Re: Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway Stations

« Reply #1 on: May 9th, 2006, 4:04am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Northeast Railfan site has a few pictures like the one below.

Click this link for more photos and info.

John

« Last Edit: May 9th, 2006, 4:08am by JhnZ33 » Logged
Josh U.
Railfan
  wbh_alberts-1-.jpg - 33858 Bytes
« Reply #2 on: May 10th, 2006, 3:25pm »

Thanks for the link.

I was actually just out today trying to pinpoint the location of the old Albert station. It's hard, because from the looks of that picture, there was no concrete platform, only wood.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/wbh_alberts-1-.jpg
Click Image to Resize

JhnZ33
Former Member

« Reply #3 on: May 10th, 2006, 3:42pm »

on May 10th, 2006, 3:25pm, Josh U. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Thanks for the link.

I was actually just out today trying to pinpoint the location of the old Albert station. It's hard, because from the looks of that picture, there was no concrete platform, only wood.

Yeah, and being made of wood, good luck. Actually, if you know the mileage points of the line, you could find the general location by looking at the table and finding the station and mile marker in the WBHRR book. Alberts is listed as 17 3/4 miles from the Hazelton car barns.

Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #4 on: May 10th, 2006, 4:28pm »

on May 10th, 2006, 3:42pm, JhnZ33 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Yeah, and being made of wood, good luck. Actually, if you know the mileage points of the line, you could find the general location by looking at the table and finding the station and mile marker in the WBHRR book. Alberts is listed as 17 3/4 miles from the Hazelton car barns.

I had thought about using the mileage points like that, but I'm not sure what to base it on, because there's nothing really too close to measure from. The closest two points to measure from would be either Nescopeck Pass or Blytheburn, and both of those are a little far from where I'm suspecting the Albert station would have been (The closest would be Blytheburn, and I'd say that's roughly a good mile or so away).

Thanks for the suggestion though. I'll look into it and see what I can find. I'll probably get some other present day pictures of the stations I know of on here too.

« Last Edit: May 10th, 2006, 4:29pm by Josh U. » Logged

Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #5 on: May 10th, 2006, 4:44pm »

Disregard that last post, I misread your comment and missed "general area". But, I actually just looked in the book, and to my surprise, Blytheburn Station is exactly one mile from Albert Station, so maybe the spot I'm thinking of is right.

-Josh

« Last Edit: May 10th, 2006, 4:46pm by Josh U. » Logged

JhnZ33
Former Member

« Reply #6 on: May 10th, 2006, 4:45pm »

on May 10th, 2006, 4:28pm, Josh U. wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I had thought about using the mileage points like that, but I'm not sure what to base it on, because there's nothing really too close to measure from. The closest two points to measure from would be either Nescopeck Pass or Blytheburn, and both of those are a little far from where I'm suspecting the Albert station would have been (The closest would be Blytheburn, and I'd say that's roughly a good mile or so away).

Thanks for the suggestion though. I'll look into it and see what I can find. I'll probably get some other present day pictures of the stations I know of on here too.

Nescopeck Pass is listed at 14 1/2 miles and Blytheburn at 18 3/4, which makes, according to the info listed in the WBHRR book, Blytheburn a mile away.  

One way of finding the general area, would be to trace or follow the former ROW on Microsoft's terra-server, and use the scale of the map to get a rough idea. On the terra-server, it's easy to see Nescopeck Pass. You could use that as a starting point.

John

JhnZ33
Former Member

« Reply #7 on: May 10th, 2006, 4:48pm »

on May 10th, 2006, 4:44pm, Josh U. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Disregard that last post, I misread your comment and missed "general area". But, I actually just looked in the book, and to my surprise, Blytheburn Station is exactly one mile from Albert Station, so maybe the spot I'm thinking of is right.

-Josh

I see you found the answer before I could post it.

Anyway, I'd be interested in seeing any photos you might be able to take.

John

Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #8 on: May 10th, 2006, 5:14pm »

Sorry about the mixup.  Thank you for the suggestion anyway though.

I'll see when I can get out to get some more pictures to put up here.

JhnZ33
Former Member

« Reply #9 on: May 11th, 2006, 7:16am »

I look forward to any photos you can get.

John

XPLORER
Historian

« Reply #10 on: May 11th, 2006, 2:51pm »

Hey John/Josh.
On Henry Drive is a sub station converted into a house not far from the Nuangola shot you took Josh. Further down the road under the road as far as know is an original bridge over a creek. Further down is another concrete pad at what I think was a hotel then you can locate the old icing siding at the ice lakes. At the end of Henry on a funky corner that turns into Prospect Rd is the Blythburn station stone wall and all with pad. If you walk into the woods following the ROW you will find a concrete trestle and further down from that is the Steel Girder bridge over the Wap Creek at the dam. If you go back to Henry/Prospect come out to Blythburn road and turn left you pass the dam and can pick the ROW up on the right again. (Follow the power lines) I have been meaning to take pics now that I live in the Blythburn area and pass this stuff every day but just havenít.
RR

Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #11 on: May 11th, 2006, 3:41pm »

on May 11th, 2006, 2:51pm, XPLORER wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey John/Josh.
On Henry Drive is a sub station converted into a house not far from the Nuangola shot you took Josh. Further down the road under the road as far as know is an original bridge over a creek. Further down is another concrete pad at what I think was a hotel then you can locate the old icing siding at the ice lakes. At the end of Henry on a funky corner that turns into Prospect Rd is the Blythburn station stone wall and all with pad. If you walk into the woods following the ROW you will find a concrete trestle and further down from that is the Steel Girder bridge over the Wap Creek at the dam. If you go back to Henry/Prospect come out to Blythburn road and turn left you pass the dam and can pick the ROW up on the right again. (Follow the power lines) I have been meaning to take pics now that I live in the Blythburn area and pass this stuff every day but just havenít.
RR

I've actually been down that road several times. There's a lot of interesting things out there. I was bit confused though, about where you said there was an original bridge over a creek? I know there's the original bridge where the highway used to cross the ROW (now there's a new bridge about a few meters south). Is that what you meant, or is there something I missed?  

And also, about the Ice Ponds spur, I know where it began (a few hundred feet north of the aforementioned bridge), but is there actually any of the ROW left from it? They're building a housing development there now, so it was hard for me to tell.

Thanks, Josh

Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #12 on: May 31st, 2006, 5:04pm »

I'm sorry to say that I haven't been able to get out and take pictures lately, but I hope to get some soon.  

It may be somewhat hard to get to some of these places now since summer is arriving, and the trees and shrubs around them are grown in, but I'll see what I can do.

Josh U.
Railfan
  edited_Picturejru2s_camer_178.jpg - 40657 Bytes
« Reply #13 on: May 31st, 2006, 11:45pm »

I did actually get out tonight on my bike to get some pictures of the old stations. Unfortunately, like I suspected, they were pretty grown in, and the pictures didn't come out as well as I had hoped. I'll have to wait until winter or fall to get some good ones again.

This one is of the old Drums station, located in the woods by the Drums water treament plant, by Fritzingertown (only a small way away from the tall concrete abutments that held the bridge over Old Turnpike Rd. and Little Nescopeck Creek). There's not too much left of it. It seems like the platform that was here was destroyed, and only the base remains. In one of the corners, it looks as if there used to be a ramp, probably for cargo, but I wasn't able to get it into the picture, because of the growth.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/edited_Picturejru2s_camer_178.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Josh U.
Railfan
  edited_Copy_of_Picturejru2s_camer_174.jpg - 41190 Bytes
« Reply #14 on: May 31st, 2006, 11:59pm »

This one is the Kis-Lyn station, located in the woods on the horseshoe curve. This is very easy to miss if you're not looking for it.

I believe this station may be newer than the others, because the concrete looks different than from the others I've seen, and it even has traction grooves embedded in it. This station is also in the best condition of any of the stations I've seen; relatively untouched, except covered by a lot of moss and other growth.

The tree at the end of the visible concrete is covering a cargo ramp.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/edited_Copy_of_Picturejru2s_camer_174.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Josh U.
Railfan
  edited_Picturejru2s_camer_176.jpg - 46511 Bytes
« Reply #15 on: Jun 1st, 2006, 12:06am »

And the last picture for now.  

This is a close up of the cargo ramp on the Kis-Lyn station. This is unfortunately the best picture I could get of the cargo ramp, because the undergrowth is so thick. If you look closely, you may be able to see the traction grooves in the concrete. Also, on top of the ramp, and around the sides of the platform, there seems to be debris (wood and bricks and such), perhaps left over from whatever structure once sat on it. Some is visible in the top of the picture.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/edited_Picturejru2s_camer_176.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Josh U.
Railfan
  edited_Picturejru2s_camer_559.jpg - 66170 Bytes
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11th, 2006, 3:07pm »

Since winter has come, and the vegetation has died off, I've finally been able to get some new pictures of the old stations. I've got work on getting around to them, but in the meantime, here is some of the old Kis-Lyn station platform.  

The platform extends underneath the brush for about 20 or so feet. This photo shows the ramp, to what was probably some sort of higher freight platform.

I'm not sure if it is visible, but there is some traction grooves in the concrete, which makes me wonder if this station was newer than some of the others.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/edited_Picturejru2s_camer_559.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2006, 3:08pm by Josh U. » Logged

Josh U.
Railfan
  edited_Copy_of_Picturejru2s_camer_560.jpg - 70891 Bytes
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11th, 2006, 3:10pm »

Another view...

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/edited_Copy_of_Picturejru2s_camer_560.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2006, 3:11pm by Josh U. » Logged

Josh U.
Railfan
  edited_Picturejru2s_camer_561.jpg - 60170 Bytes
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11th, 2006, 3:15pm »

Here is a picture of the remnants of whatever structure once sat atop the platform. These timbers may be from pillars, like in the first picture of the Nuangola Station. However, there are bricks and other pieces lying around, perhaps from another structure.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/edited_Picturejru2s_camer_561.jpg
Click Image to Resize

JhnZ33
Former Member

« Reply #19 on: Dec 15th, 2006, 8:49am »

on Dec 11th, 2006, 3:15pm, Josh U. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Here is a picture of the remnants of whatever structure once sat atop the platform. These timbers may be from pillars, like in the first picture of the Nuangola Station. However, there are bricks and other pieces lying around, perhaps from another structure.

Hey Josh, great additions to the photos.  

The timbers in the picture look to be too intact for being 70-some years old or better. One would think that any remnants of wood structure being that old and left to the elements without maintenance, would be long gone by now.  

Not saying it isn't from the WB&H, but if it is, I would venture a guess that the structure was probably under care and maintenance, and was most likely used well after the WB&H closed it's doors.

Now, if we could only find photos of these stations in their heyday... that would be great.

John

« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2006, 8:54am by JhnZ33 » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »