Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 22nd, 2017, 1:31pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Poll: What's your favorite- Trolley, light rail, o
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Transit and Commuter
   Traction
(Moderators: , NS3360)
   Poll: What's your favorite- Trolley, light rail, o
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Poll: What's your favorite- Trolley, light rail, o  (Read 1341 times)
Walt_C
Historian
Re: Poll: What's your favorite- Trolley, light rail, o

« Reply #40 on: Aug 20th, 2009, 4:52pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Jul 31st, 2009, 9:36am, KingCoal wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Septa Route 100, the famous P&W Bullet.
As for a fallen flag interurban, The "libertybell Line" from Bethlehem to  
Upper Darby, PA............  

Interesting ( and excellent choices) especially since the "fallen flag" Liberty Bell Route of the LVT used P&W trackage between Norristown and 69th Street from 1912 until 1949. ( Just one correction, though. The LVT Liberty Bell Route ran between Allentown and 69th Street, not Bethlehem, though that would have been a nice extension if it had happened)

« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2009, 4:54pm by Walt_C » Logged

Please move to the rear and speed your ride-Regards, Walt
ARA18
Historian

« Reply #41 on: Aug 24th, 2009, 12:00pm »

Ny favourites are the Great Gorge Route/IRC, the TTC and Buffalo's NFTA Metro-Rail Light-Rail line (yes I know it doesn't go anywhere but it's the light-rail line I've experienced first-hand).

Go Leafs!
CSX sucks!
American Viscose #6
Arcade & Attica #18
New York Centra; 4068/4080, Life's Good up here.
rnjkswn
TRAINing

« Reply #42 on: Oct 19th, 2009, 10:40pm »

I cant say I have only one favorite lightrail,trolley system. But I will add Portland to the list. Late September I had a chance to ride the Portland Streetcar and Tri-max lightrail and enjoyed the trip. For a city this size it a very good system. Portland has combined the old and new with bus and regional trains. Seeing the streetcars running in Portland shows that streetcars can operate in a large city with traffic. The streetcar operates on streets through downtown area and the Tri-max lightrail operates on streets with autos and  other traffic. Also runs in its own right of way next to the highway. I liked the cars used on the streetcar line. The tri-Max uses three types of cars. I give Portland two thumbs up.

egarimzo
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #43 on: Jan 17th, 2015, 3:19am »

on Dec 20th, 2004, 6:31pm, NS3360 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
So what's your favorite- Trolley, light rail, or subway? I would have to say trolleys. Now it's your turn. What's your favorite?

I like all electric traction rail, and hope that we transition to rail based transit ASAP.
As to my "favorite" - that depends on the task.
I hope to see the (re)building of robust urban networks of electric traction rail (trams / streetcars), express commuter service (interurbans), and high speed light freight and passenger service.

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #44 on: Jan 17th, 2015, 8:58am »

on Jan 17th, 2015, 3:19am, egarimzo wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I like all electric traction rail, and hope that we transition to rail based transit ASAP.
As to my "favorite" - that depends on the task.
I hope to see the (re)building of robust urban networks of electric traction rail (trams / streetcars), express commuter service (interurbans),  
and high speed light freight and passenger service.  

egarimzo - Lodge Members -

For the most part, the bloom may be off the particular rose? Any new ideas on how to deal with the hideous and endless  
operating subsidies for these projects? How much grief are all the taxpayers to bear, for services that support a very tiny  
number of riders?

Electric transport is charming, but... Oh, yeah! Get the power from coal fired plants. Here locally, a project where four to  
six car trains, near empty run until late night. Maybe cheaper to run a bus every 15 to 30 minutes?

..............................Vern..............................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
Inlet-Longport
Railfan

« Reply #45 on: Jan 29th, 2015, 6:10am »

I like streetcars but realize that dreams of rebuilding long lost streetcar systems are impractical as Vern has noted.

Ever since the Seventies when the Boeing USLRV car was developed, light rail has been touted as a cure all for everything.  The modern "streetcars" being  
produced today look more like giant eels or caterpillars or boxes on wheels. There's little charm to them.

I find that many of the LRT lines are overbuilt with heavy catenary and underground tunnels.  

Over 20 years ago line was built in my hometown along the route of an abandoned steam railroad and an abandoned interurban line.  The trains are just about empty except in rush hours or when there are sports events downtown.  Every passenger receives a taxpayer subsidy along with his fare card.

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »