Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 23rd, 2017, 4:05am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Poll: What's your favorite- Trolley, light rail, o
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Transit and Commuter
   Traction
(Moderators: , NS3360)
   Poll: What's your favorite- Trolley, light rail, o
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Poll: What's your favorite- Trolley, light rail, o  (Read 1354 times)
MH765
Historian
Re: Poll: What's your favorite- Trolley, light rai

« Reply #20 on: Apr 11th, 2005, 4:09pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Apr 11th, 2005, 2:35am, CSX_B40-8 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

i just came from Pittsburgh like a week ago. got a chance to ride 2 60ft Ikaruses(3043 and 3037) on the East Busway route.also rode the light rail. what kinda LRVs are those anyway? Bredas? (rode the 42 all the way to the end) Pittsburgh has a very interresting LightRail route. it pratically runs right behind people's houses with no fence line. i think its kool!

It depends which ones you rode. If you saw/rode a LRV in white with brown-ish stripes, those are Siemens-Duewag SD400s (4101-4155). The silver-painted LRVs are new from CAF, number series 4301-4328.

"NS H86, Main Line over!"
Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #21 on: Apr 11th, 2005, 9:52pm »

In order of preference...

-Charlie

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
Rich T
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #22 on: Jun 13th, 2005, 10:19am »

Media - Location of the last single track in the center of the street "country trolley" operation.  
The CSS&SB is single track through the streets of Michigan City, but is certainly not a country trolley.

espeefoamer
Railfan

« Reply #23 on: Aug 1st, 2005, 5:48pm »

Heavy interurbans.I saw the PE red cars in Long Beach as a child,and rode to L.A. and back to L.B.once.I also rode the CSS&SB old cars,and the P&W Brill Bullets once.

Walt_C
Historian

« Reply #24 on: Aug 26th, 2005, 4:36pm »

If we're going to talk about "fallen flags" ( or fallen lines) my vote would be the West Chester Line of the P&WCT & later the Red Arrow. This was the original line of what became the Red Arrow Lines system, and was the other line ( along with the later built Media line mentioned above) which terminated on single track in the middle of West Chester's principal street, Gay Street ( at High Street). It was bustituted on June 3, 1954.

Please move to the rear and speed your ride-Regards, Walt
RARITAN_CLOCKER
Former Member

« Reply #25 on: Aug 26th, 2005, 4:54pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Geeeeee.....where do I begin?? Favorite trolley line: The Newark City Subway BEFORE the new LRV's replaced the veteran ex-Twin Cities PCC's in 2001. Not only was the first trolley I ever rode back in 1961, but I gew up with it, and railfanned it extensively as a teen. Rapid transit: PATH (which I still refer to as "The Tubes") Another line I grew up with (when it was still using 1909-vintage H&M rolling stock!) and I commuted on this line for many years after I started working in lower Manhattan in 1979) Heavy rail electricfication: E-L's old Morris & Essex lines, when they were still using the old 1930 Lackawanna MU's. and of course, the PRR, with its magnificent G's and owl-eyed MP-54 MU's! And, of course, the old NH, when "Jets" and "Washboards"  still zipped along under the familiar old triangular catenary!

silver_champion
Historian

« Reply #26 on: Sep 30th, 2005, 5:02pm »

I would have to say Subways

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #27 on: Oct 28th, 2005, 5:35am »

on Apr 11th, 2005, 2:35am, CSX_B40-8 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Pittsburg has a very interresting LightRail route. it pratically runs right behind people's houses with no fence line. i think its kool!

20 plus years ago I worked with some people that had been involved in the modernizing of some of these Pittsburg lines.  (Never was there myself.  In fact only been through Pittsburg one in my lifetime.)  Anyhow, this is one of the stories I heard from them.  True or not, I don't know.

Some of these people with the track in their backyard had made deals with the motormen for their own private stops so all they had to do was walk out the back door, flag a train and go to work.  Some people had even fixed themselves their own boarding platforms.  The track maintenance people had to be at least in the know, also.  Need I say that the bureaucracy could not permit such going ons.  These things had to go!  Some of these unofficial stops had been in place so long that no one seemed to realize that they were not part of the official system but were instead non-public do it yourself boarding points, including the motormen and the current at that time users of the stops.  There was quite an uproar, but the transit authority stuck to their guns and they were all torn out.

George

bullet_train
Former Member

« Reply #28 on: Nov 2nd, 2005, 8:26pm »

Vintage Class I Electric (PRR, RDG, P&W, EL, NH, CNS&M, CSS&SB, CA&E, etc.)

« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2005, 8:28pm by bullet_train » Logged
interurban
TRAINing
View Profile  

ta_station.jpg - 50041 Bytes
« Reply #29 on: Nov 17th, 2005, 5:11pm »

on Dec 22nd, 2004, 12:10pm, hudsonelectric wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hmmmmmm. I'm kinda partial to the St. Charles streetcar line in New Orleans. Not the tourist stuff, but the line and cars that I rode while living there from the mid-70s to the late 80s. I once lived down the street from the car barn, too. Heavy traction is my real interest and I want to learn more of the electrical/operational side of how these things worked. I rode the PCCs in Pittsburgh a LONG time ago, too. The only big traction that I've seen up close were the DL&W MUs out of Hoboken. There's a Baldwin steeple cab here in CT at the Warehouse Point museum that I'd like to go study. Speaking of subways, I'm old enough to remember the old NYC subway cars with the naked light bulbs, fans,  and rataan seats. I've read up on the North Shore and South Shore, but would like some reading suggestions on heavy traction.

Hi Russ.
I did not know you were that old.

London & Port Stanley, Grand River R/W, Illinois Terminal To name just three of the Great old Electrics I love.

Sadly they are no more.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/ta_station.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Traction Nut

Keeping the sparks flying off the overhead
John C. Durant
Former Member

« Reply #30 on: Nov 17th, 2005, 5:31pm »

All time favorite Interurban.....Chicago, North Shore and Milwaukee. Just cause I rode it back and forth to Great Lakes Naval Training Center back when!

All time number one trolley line = PITTSBURGH before all the line closings in the late 60's

AND for those who didn't even know it was even built, The WETZEL & TYLER Electric Railway.......RIP 1936.......

~John D~

bill937ca
TRAINing

« Reply #31 on: Jun 23rd, 2006, 7:37pm »

Trolley with all the noise of running on a city street in cars with windows that open for fresh air and with all the gear noise.

How about Chicago in the days of CSL, North Shore, CRT and C&AE or Boston with Center Entrance cars, the short East Boston tunnel and the underground trolley terminal at Maverick?  Or Philadelphia with Reading Terminal, Pennyslvania electrics, Eighty Hundreds, original M-F el stock and Red Arrow lines?  Also wish I had seen systems in Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa and New Orleans at their peaks (at least in late 40s-early 50s).  But alas I was born in 1952, but I've probably seen far more than some of our younger fans.

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #32 on: Jun 23rd, 2006, 8:08pm »

Hi All,

No one has gone modern and mentioned LRV's, so here goes.

My favorite Light Rail Vehicle line would be The Gold Line of Los Angeles Metrorail. I have ridden it many times, actually bought the videotape of its first day of running and have found many great places along its route, including beautiful downtown Pasadena, Old Town area. Great ride and the motorperson actually controls his or her own switches to select the tracks he needs to take.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
DTrainguy
TRAINing

« Reply #33 on: Aug 28th, 2006, 8:52pm »

For equipment, New Orleans, Toronto and Philiadelphia in that order.  The CLRV in my humble opinion is the most "trolley-like" of the current LRVs.  Kenosha's PCCs are great, but 5 cars is hardly a system.  

atlpete
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #34 on: Aug 28th, 2006, 11:48pm »

Trolley's- New Orleans- long may they run (again)
Interurban's- C.N.S.& M.- I literally cried when my parents told me it was going to be  abandoned, though taking consolation in the C.S.S.& S.B.
Subway's- those four track lines in Manhattan (ex-IRT?) to this day friggin awesome!
Elevated- Chicago's Howard street line, big time traction, now or back then.
Light Rail- Dallas's DART, gives LA a run for it's money, especially the line south to the VA on the ex-TE row.

I can't get enough of electric traction, understand that Japan is the best place for it.

BTW Class One, heavy electric? gotta be Pennsy.

silver_champion
Historian
  328-2.jpg - 84972 Bytes
« Reply #35 on: Sep 24th, 2006, 6:10pm »

I like the subways. But my favorite trolley is the PCC cars. Here is a picture of a PTC trolley how they used to look before it was rebuild for todays use.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/328-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

rnjkswn
TRAINing
Re: Poll: What's your favorite- Trolley, light rail, o

« Reply #36 on: Jul 21st, 2009, 5:55pm »

on Dec 20th, 2004, 6:31pm, NS3360 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
So what's your favorite- Trolley, light rail, or subway? I would have to say trolleys. Now it's your turn. What's your favorite?

My favorite Trolley or lightrail line is in  Kenosha,WI Its only streetcar line in the midwest at this time. I rode the St.Louis  lines but that is not a street running system.

rnjkswn
TRAINing

« Reply #37 on: Jul 21st, 2009, 6:15pm »

on Aug 28th, 2006, 11:48pm, atlpete wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Trolley's- New Orleans- long may they run (again)
Interurban's- C.N.S.& M.- I literally cried when my parents told me it was going to be  abandoned, though taking consolation in the C.S.S.& S.B.
Subway's- those four track lines in Manhattan (ex-IRT?) to this day friggin awesome!
Elevated- Chicago's Howard street line, big time traction, now or back then.
Light Rail- Dallas's DART, gives LA a run for it's money, especially the line south to the VA on the ex-TE row.

I can't get enough of electric traction, understand that Japan is the best place for it.

BTW Class One, heavy electric? gotta be Pennsy.
 I agree Kenosha is not most but still operating. I would love to see Chicago to bring back streetcar operation.  Most major streets in chicago have trolley track cover over with pavement.  

KingCoal
Historian

« Reply #38 on: Jul 31st, 2009, 9:36am »

Septa Route 100, the famous P&W Bullet.
As for a fallen flag interurban, The "libertybell Line" from Bethlehem to  
Upper Darby, PA............  

RETIRED
"A busy Mainline and a trout stream beside it"
paradise !
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #39 on: Aug 14th, 2009, 10:06pm »

Well, if we can reach back:

Texas Electric
PCC cars on Dallas Street Railways
Older Dallas Street Cars

Those i rode, those I recall fondly

Currently, I like the DART light rail system (and admit it is faster, and a lot more comfortable, than the street cars, even the PCCs - and if they extended it to Denison and Waco, probably be faster and more comfortable than the Texas Electric was...)., If I'd grown up elsewhere (or lived someplace else now), I might have different answers.

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »