Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 22nd, 2017, 1:24pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Poll: What's your favorite- Trolley, light rail, o
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Transit and Commuter
   Traction
(Moderators: , NS3360)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Poll: What's your favorite- Trolley, light rail, o  (Read 1340 times)
NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« on: Dec 20th, 2004, 6:31pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

So what's your favorite- Trolley, light rail, or subway? I would have to say trolleys. Now it's your turn. What's your favorite?

Moderates: Traction, ALCO, GVT Short Lines, Short Lines

BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

Re: Poll: What's your favorite- Trolley, light rai

« Reply #1 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 7:09pm »

on Dec 20th, 2004, 6:31pm, NS3360 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
So what's your favorite- Trolley, light rail, or subway? I would have to say trolleys. Now it's your turn. What's your favorite?

Older trolly cars for me  

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 8:14pm »

Hi All,

Need some guidelines here.  

My favorite Trolley does not exist any more. It would be the Church Avenue line in Brooklyn, running from Hegeman avenue to Boro Park. The line ran PCC cars, my favorite.

My favorite LRV, replete with Catenary and Faively type pantographs would be the Gold Line of Los Angeles. It is only one year old, as of last July, and it is a dream to ride. Also, work should start soon on extending it out towards San Bernardino County. At present it runs from Los Angeles, LAUPT/ LAUS; LA transit center, to Pasadena, CA.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
arnstg
Railfan

« Reply #3 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 8:16pm »

My choice is San Francisco. You have the Muni with their variety of trolley cars, the cable cars, and BART. Used to also have Electric buses but I think they are gone.

Where else can you go and see such a variety?

RDG484
Former Member

« Reply #4 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 9:19pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Okay here goes:

1.  Heavy electric
2.  Subway/Elevated
3.  Trolleys
4.  Light rail

What I like is traction motor whine, hence the heavy electric as first preference (eg:  GG-1's, MU's, etc.); next are subways--especially the old Broad St. Subway in Philly and the CTA cars on the P&W; next would be old trolley cars like the old Red Arrow Master Units, Brilliners, and St. Louis cars.  Light Rail is interesting, but is a totally different animal.

« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2004, 6:33pm by RDG484 » Logged
Walt_C
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 11:12am »

Mine would be

1. Trolleys, particularly the old Interurbans

2. Rapid Transit-- ( Subways- Elevateds, etc) but with an emphasis on the older equipment which had the traction motor whine and air compressor noise mentioned by RDG-484

3 Heavy Electric ( GG1's etc)

Please move to the rear and speed your ride-Regards, Walt
hudsonelectric
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Dec 22nd, 2004, 12:10pm »

Hmmmmmm. I'm kinda partial to the St. Charles streetcar line in New Orleans. Not the tourist stuff, but the line and cars that I rode while living there from the mid-70s to the late 80s. I once lived down the street from the car barn, too. Heavy traction is my real interest and I want to learn more of the electrical/operational side of how these things worked. I rode the PCCs in Pittsburgh a LONG time ago, too. The only big traction that I've seen up close were the DL&W MUs out of Hoboken. There's a Baldwin steeple cab here in CT at the Warehouse Point museum that I'd like to go study. Speaking of subways, I'm old enough to remember the old NYC subway cars with the naked light bulbs, fans,  and rataan seats. I've read up on the North Shore and South Shore, but would like some reading suggestions on heavy traction.

« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2004, 12:12pm by hudsonelectric » Logged

RDG484
Former Member

« Reply #7 on: Dec 22nd, 2004, 6:37pm »

on Dec 22nd, 2004, 12:10pm, hudsonelectric wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I've read up on the North Shore and South Shore, but would like some reading suggestions on heavy traction.

Electric Trains to Reading Terminal
Pennsy Power I
Pennsy Power II
Pennsy Electric Years
(video)  Lackawanna Legacy

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2004, 6:37pm by RDG484 » Logged
Walt_C
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Dec 23rd, 2004, 1:05pm »

Also "Under Pennsy Wires"--- this duplicates much that is in the two Pennsy Power books, but is interesting none the less.

cwire
TRAINing

« Reply #9 on: Jan 31st, 2005, 7:04pm »

Cincinnati & Lake Erie and predecessor lines has been a hobby of many years (grew up in Middletown, OH).  Rode the North Shore in it's last year of operation including last runs so there is much interest there too.  Due to present physical location in Roanoke, VA there's a soft spot for Virginian and N&W electrics

Walt_C
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Feb 2nd, 2005, 12:13pm »

on Jan 31st, 2005, 7:04pm, cwire wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Cincinnati & Lake Erie and predecessor lines has been a hobby of many years (grew up in Middletown, OH).

If you can find it ( and if you haven't already seen it) check out Jack Kennan's 1974 book " Cincinnati & Lake Erie Railroad-- Ohio's Great Interurban System" Being a native Philadelphian ( actually Delaware County) I became interested in the C&LE after reading the original edition of  the Ronald DeGraw book "The Red Arrow" which included a history of the Philadelphia & Western Railway ( which was later merged into the Red Arrow) It was there that I discovered that the C&LE Red Devil Cars  were the prototypes for the P&W's Bullet Cars, ( which I had the distinct pleasure of riding frequently in the 1960's) and that both properties were owned by the same Philadelphia based traction magnate-- Dr. Thomas Conway.--- Reading the Jack Keenan book naturally followed.  C&LE was a VERY interesting operation!  

« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2005, 12:15pm by Walt_C » Logged

EvergreenRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #11 on: Mar 22nd, 2005, 4:17pm »

on Dec 20th, 2004, 8:16pm, arnstg wrote:       (Click here for original message)
 My choice is San Francisco. You have the Muni with their variety of trolley cars, the cable cars, and BART. Used to also have Electric buses but I think they are gone.

San Francisco MUNI has it all, including Electric Trolley Buses.  

I love all Electric Transit, unfortunately, cannot make a choice between them.

BTW, up here Metro Route 99 is under threat of shutdown, because somebody else wants the land the maintenance facility is on. I'll try to find a seperate thread for that though!

The Bus and Rail Fan of Southeast Seattle!

http://community.webshots.com/user/busrideratlarge
Walt_C
Historian

« Reply #12 on: Mar 22nd, 2005, 4:32pm »

on Dec 20th, 2004, 8:16pm, arnstg wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Try Philadelphia--- with the exception of cable cars, Philly has as much of a variety as SF. ( and the F-Line PCC's all came from Philly) plus the Phila area has one of the two remaining  U.S. interurbans (Route 100--- the former Philadelphia & Western Railway).

« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2005, 4:34pm by Walt_C » Logged

RDG484
Former Member

« Reply #13 on: Mar 23rd, 2005, 9:38am »

on Mar 22nd, 2005, 4:32pm, Walt_C wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Try Philadelphia--- with the exception of cable cars.......

...............and trackless trolleys.  Although the wires are still up in the area of Frankford Terminal.  But Philly DOES have subways, trolleys WITH tracks, both IN the city AND suburban areas, a former interurban line, and electric commuter rail.

Boston is also pretty diverse as well, with trolleys (some PCC), subways, and trackless trolleys in Cambridge.

Walt_C
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:46pm »

on Mar 23rd, 2005, 9:38am, RDG484 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

...............and trackless trolleys.  Although the wires are still up in the area of Frankford Terminal.  

So the "Trackless Battle" has finally been lost.--- Typical SEPTA.

MH765
Historian

« Reply #15 on: Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:52pm »

My favs are the agencies in Pennsylvania, Port Authority (Pittsburgh) and SEPTA.

"NS H86, Main Line over!"
hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #16 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 6:17am »

I'd have to say Easton Trolley as they ran Bangor and Pen Argyl...  

Jim...

NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #17 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 7:06am »

on Apr 6th, 2005, 6:50am, hummel1237 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Which one built the Bangor Viadock?  

Jim...  

You'll like this name Jim-  Bangor & Portland Transit Company

Moderates: Traction, ALCO, GVT Short Lines, Short Lines

hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #18 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 3:26pm »

on Apr 6th, 2005, 7:06am, NS3360 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

You'll like this name Jim-  Bangor & Portland Transit Company

That's my favorite! B&PTC!

Jim...  

CSX B40-8
Historian

« Reply #19 on: Apr 11th, 2005, 2:35am »

on Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:52pm, Miketherailfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
My favs are the agencies in Pennsylvania, Port Authority (Pittsburgh) and SEPTA.

i just came from Pittsburg like a week ago. got a chance to ride 2 60ft Ikaruses(3043 and 3037) on the East Busway route.also rode the light rail. what kinda LRVs are those anyway? Bredas? (rode teh 42 all the way to the end) Pittsburg has a very interresting LightRail route. it pratically runs right behind people's houses with no fence line. i think its kool!

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »