Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 23rd, 2017, 3:57am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

A few bones of the Wilkes Barre & Hazleton.
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Transit and Commuter
   Traction
(Moderators: , NS3360)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: A few bones of the Wilkes Barre & Hazleton.  (Read 346 times)
duplexdrive
Chaser
  WBH62030002s.jpg - 82884 Bytes
« on: Jun 2nd, 2003, 7:19pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Here's a few pics of the remnants of the overpass at the Little Nescopeck Creek and the old Wilkes-Barre/Hazleton Highway.
Just taken this evening. An easy shot because it's only about 30 feet from where I live.   This is the east side abutment.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/WBH62030002s.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Along the old WB&H, waiting for the next trolley to arrive.

Russell Heintzelman
duplexdrive
Chaser
Re: A few bones of the Wilkes Barre & Hazleton.
  WBH62030004s.jpg - 78320 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: Jun 2nd, 2003, 7:21pm »

The overpass looking south.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/WBH62030004s.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Russell Heintzelman
duplexdrive
Chaser
  WBH62030005s.jpg - 64606 Bytes
« Reply #2 on: Jun 2nd, 2003, 7:24pm »

And the west side abutment in a thick shroud of foliage. These trees have been growing since the railway was abandoned in 1933. We have a little bit of logging to do when we put the line back in.  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/WBH62030005s.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Russell Heintzelman
grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #3 on: Dec 13th, 2009, 12:46pm »

nice pics. any map of the wb&h?

ferlen

View Profile  

wbhwbmap1913.jpg - 118273 Bytes
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13th, 2009, 3:46pm »

here is a map, about 1 mile or so including the black creek viaduct is still actively in use

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/wbhwbmap1913.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Lorenzo
ferlen

View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Dec 13th, 2009, 3:54pm »

Here is a present day picture of the Black Creek viaduct taken last summer
\I guess the photo was too big to be downloaded.  

Lorenzo
ferlen

View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Dec 13th, 2009, 3:58pm »

I have walked much of the line over the years. It's amazing how much is left, but equally amazing how much is completely obliverated

Lorenzo
Ashley_John
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Dec 14th, 2009, 5:12pm »

on Dec 13th, 2009, 3:46pm, ferlen wrote:       (Click here for original message)
here is a map, about 1 mile or so including the black creek viaduct is still actively in use

Every map I've seen of the WB&H is less than accurate north of the tunnel. If you look in one of the other threads on this board about the WB&H, you'll see a few of us have explored the line north of the tunnel quite extensively and have used the information gathered from exploration, along with the penn pilot maps to over-lay the last known alignment of this line over present day maps.

Much of the area north of the tunnel has been seriously altered over the years following the abandonment of the line. Construction of I-81, Route 309 and surface mining has taken their toll on the landscape containing the ROW of the WB&H in this area.

John

Riding the rails of the past via media and exploration.
ferlen

View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Dec 15th, 2009, 4:03pm »

Do you remember the WB&H station in Wilkes-Barre, with the second story cut off, was a gas station for a long time, and the embankment that was next to coal street for many years? I think there is one bridge abutment left by route 309 in the area behind a car lot, I will go down there soon and find it and get an exact location. The area around the Georgetown powerhouse is unrecognizable.on Dec 14th, 2009, 5:12pm, Ashley_John wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Every map I've seen of the WB&H is less than accurate north of the tunnel. If you look in one of the other threads on this board about the WB&H, you'll see a few of us have explored the line north of the tunnel quite extensively and have used the information gathered from exploration, along with the penn pilot maps to over-lay the last known alignment of this line over present day maps.

Much of the area north of the tunnel has been seriously altered over the years following the abandonment of the line. Construction of I-81, Route 309 and surface mining has taken their toll on the landscape containing the ROW of the WB&H in this area.

John

Lorenzo
ferlen

View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: Dec 15th, 2009, 4:28pm »

How about the substation and the row visible along route 309 on the way to Hazleton? It was only a source of power to the line from commercial power souces. The Nescopek Pass station is where the present day Damentis restaurant is, the abutments are still there. From Alberdeen Rd you can follow the old roadbed which has been modified to the right of the road for acess to some baseball fields, and on the next road over, if you look down, you can see a superelevated curve and then were the roadbed went, now covered by a paved road, then look to the left and you can see Alberts Station.on Dec 15th, 2009, 4:03pm, ferlen wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Do you remember the WB&H station in Wilkes-Barre, with the second story cut off, was a gas station for a long time, and the embankment that was next to coal street for many years? I think there is one bridge abutment left by route 309 in the area behind a car lot, I will go down there soon and find it and get an exact location. The area around the Georgetown powerhouse is unrecognizable.

Lorenzo
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »