Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 23rd, 2017, 8:37pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

A remnant of the Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Transit and Commuter
   Traction
(Moderators: , NS3360)
   A remnant of the Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: A remnant of the Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway  (Read 6320 times)
Josh U.
Railfan
Re: A remnant of the Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Rai

« Reply #40 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 10:37pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Apr 19th, 2006, 8:57pm, JhnZ33 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I was out with the quad today to take some pics in the Sugar Notch area. I have been interested in trying to trace the WBHRR route from Sugar Notch to Georgetown and Wilkes-Barre, though not too much is plainly visible.

I found the area where the WBHRR curved down towards Sugar Notch affording the "grand view" of the Wyoming Valley below. I have taken some pics of the area.

This picture is the first thing I saw when approaching the area. It looks like 2 culverts for the creek running through it, with the WBHRR ROW above. Although, I can't understand the large difference in materials used for the 2 culverts. I would suspect one is a bit older than the other being it is constructed out of stone.

The only thing I could see that would explain this would be that on the other side there is what looks to be the remains of some sort of dam and concrete structure (long out of service), which could have been a resevoir for something, I don't know.

I believe that there used to be a reservoir in sugar notch, which was drained when the interstate was built, so that's probably what the remains of that dam were from.  

I've really wanted to get out and explore that part of the WB & H right of way, but I'm always afraid to stop my car on the interstate.

I'm glad I saw those pictures though, because I always see that big piece of concrete from the highway on my way to school in the morning, and I could never get a good look at it through the trees. (not to mention having to keep my eyes on the road haha.)

Exploring the old WB & H, and looking for old pictures of the right of way.
NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #41 on: Apr 22nd, 2006, 2:12pm »

Great photos guys, always great to see others out there also researching the abandoned rows. I just wish more was left of these lines, I know from my following my own hometown lines that very little is left if anything...keep those pics coming  

« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2006, 2:13pm by NS3360 » Logged

Moderates: Traction, ALCO, GVT Short Lines, Short Lines

NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #42 on: Apr 22nd, 2006, 2:15pm »

on Apr 20th, 2006, 1:15pm, RDG484 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
That reminds me; whenever I get the chance, I might take some photos of the old Liberty Bell Route ROW from Norristown to Allentown.  A lot if it still exists, 55 years later, much of it still marked by the Electric Co. pole line.

We talked about this before, I too never got the chance  just yet to take some pics of the Liberty Bell Route in this area.  If you do take some I'd like to see them!

Moderates: Traction, ALCO, GVT Short Lines, Short Lines

RDG484
Former Member

« Reply #43 on: Apr 22nd, 2006, 3:22pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Apr 22nd, 2006, 2:15pm, NS3360 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

We talked about this before, I too never got the chance  just yet to take some pics of the Liberty Bell Route in this area.  If you do take some I'd like to see them!

It would have to be on a day which is sunny, when I have off, and I don't have much to do at home, which is very few and far between, especially with 2 kids.

Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #44 on: May 3rd, 2006, 5:48pm »

on Apr 19th, 2006, 9:18pm, JhnZ33 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
A view of the ROW from near Route 81. THe ROW crosses over 81 to the former bridge over Solomon's creek near the Brass Rail restaurant.

If you don't mind my asking, how did you get into the right of way there? Did you come on from the interstate, or is there a back way? I'd like to explore that part of the ROW if and when i get the time.

JhnZ33
Former Member

« Reply #45 on: May 6th, 2006, 7:21am »

on May 3rd, 2006, 5:48pm, Josh U. wrote:       (Click here for original message)

If you don't mind my asking, how did you get into the right of way there? Did you come on from the interstate, or is there a back way? I'd like to explore that part of the ROW if and when i get the time.

I accessed this area from Sugar Notch. My quad is kept at my grandmothers house and all I do is go up the street to the end and follow the trails towards the area. The trail I follow, takes you up and over some pretty tough terrain to the area, bypassing the excavation below.  

You CAN access the area from the soccer fields between route 29 and 81, but the area right below the ROW all the way to the soccer fields in being excavated for new townhomes (see the pic I took from the ROW looking towards Sugar Notch), and I would be careful about choosing your route in here. I'm not sure if you're supposed to be on this land or not.

You can side-step and follow along the edge of the excavation area, but be warned, the terrain is pretty challenging in the area. It would be very easy to get yourself hurt if you didn't know the area and weren't careful.

I would say the safest and most direct way of accessing the area of the old ROW near 81, is to find a SAFE place to pull off the southbound side of the interstate and walk up to it from there.

I'm willing to answer any questions I can if you need more info.

John

Josh U.
Railfan
  edited_Picturejru2s_camer_096.jpg - 31909 Bytes
« Reply #46 on: May 11th, 2006, 3:58pm »

Here's a picture I posted once before, but I put it in the wrong forum.  (new user mistake)

It's a picture of the bridge in St. Johns, and, as far as I know, the only one with piers (besides the two viaducts), to span a large section of the Nescopeck creek. It's located in the woods, between the Pocono Mountain Speedway, and the old St. Johns power house (now a slaughter house).  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/edited_Picturejru2s_camer_096.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Josh U.
Railfan
  wbh204b-1-.jpg - 37292 Bytes
« Reply #47 on: May 11th, 2006, 4:09pm »

Here's a picture of that same bridge back in it's day, with number 204, Hazleton, of the old wooden cars on top of it.

This one was also originally posted in the wrong forum, but by another member.

Actually, it's from the site you gave me John! Thanks.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/wbh204b-1-.jpg
Click Image to Resize

JhnZ33
Former Member

« Reply #48 on: May 11th, 2006, 11:23pm »

on May 11th, 2006, 4:09pm, Josh U. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Here's a picture of that same bridge back in it's day, with number 204, Hazleton, of the old wooden cars on top of it.

This one was also originally posted in the wrong forum, but by another member.

Actually, it's from the site you gave me John! Thanks.

You're welcome. Always glad to be of help.

John

JhnZ33
Former Member

« Reply #49 on: May 28th, 2006, 10:34pm »

Rick (XPLORER), his friend John, and myself went out with the quads last week to explore the old LV main and see if we could find where the north portal and the concrete pad used for the portable substation were located near route 81.

After going as far as we could on the old LV ROW, we walked northeast toward where we thought the tunnel entrance might be. A clue may have been the water draining out of the side of the highway fill, but no ROW was to be found. As we walked further, I spied what looked like an insulator. Sure enough, it was of the ceramic or porcelin type with a orangish brown glazing. It measures about 6-8 inches in diameter and was mostly intact, with a few broken off pieces of the skirt. We believe this was one of the insulators used on the WB&H RY transmission lines from the portable substation.

Upon walking further, we found the old ROW as it revealed itself from out of the fill. From here down to near the rock cut of 81 at Sugar Notch, the ROW looks to be pretty much untouched by construction. We found transmission line poles snapped and cut off near their bases, and a top portion of another insulator near one of the poles.

We brought back the most intact insulator and it is in Rick's posession. I'll see if I can get Rick to snap a picture of it and post it here.

John

Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #50 on: May 29th, 2006, 11:11pm »

on May 28th, 2006, 10:34pm, JhnZ33 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Rick (XPLORER), his friend John, and myself went out with the quads last week to explore the old LV main and see if we could find where the north portal and the concrete pad used for the portable substation were located near route 81.

After going as far as we could on the old LV ROW, we walked northeast toward where we thought the tunnel entrance might be. A clue may have been the water draining out of the side of the highway fill, but no ROW was to be found. As we walked further, I spied what looked like an insulator. Sure enough, it was of the ceramic or porcelin type with a orangish brown glazing. It measures about 6-8 inches in diameter and was mostly intact, with a few broken off pieces of the skirt. We believe this was one of the insulators used on the WB&H RY transmission lines from the portable substation.

Upon walking further, we found the old ROW as it revealed itself from out of the fill. From here down to near the rock cut of 81 at Sugar Notch, the ROW looks to be pretty much untouched by construction. We found transmission line poles snapped and cut off near their bases, and a top portion of another insulator near one of the poles.

We brought back the most intact insulator and it is in Rick's posession. I'll see if I can get Rick to snap a picture of it and post it here.

John

I'm actually very astonished that much of the row seems to be untouched. There's really nothing to see when driving down that part of the interstate. I only see the place where I think the tunnel used to come out, right under where the northbound lane comes through the rock cut. I assumed the rest was buried. If you have any pictures of the ROW where you were describing, I'd really be interested to see them.

Also, I believe I found one of those insulators on one of my hikes of the ROW between Old Turnpike Road and Butler Drive, but I didn't realize what it was at the time. It seemed to be pretty intact. I'll have to go back down and find it again. Good thing it's only about a mile from my house!

JhnZ33
Former Member

« Reply #51 on: May 30th, 2006, 3:39pm »

on May 29th, 2006, 11:11pm, Josh U. wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I'm actually very astonished that much of the row seems to be untouched. There's really nothing to see when driving down that part of the interstate. I only see the place where I think the tunnel used to come out, right under where the northbound lane comes through the rock cut. I assumed the rest was buried. If you have any pictures of the ROW where you were describing, I'd really be interested to see them.

Unfortunately, although we did have a camera with us that day, it was on the quads about a 1/4 mile away and up on the side of the embankment from where we found the ROW.  

We're looking to go back up there again in the near future, and we will snap some photos then.

Quote:
Also, I believe I found one of those insulators on one of my hikes of the ROW between Old Turnpike Road and Butler Drive, but I didn't realize what it was at the time. It seemed to be pretty intact. I'll have to go back down and find it again. Good thing it's only about a mile from my house!

Grab it while you still can before some vandal smashes it. After 73 years, they are pretty hard to come by, especially intact.

John

JhnZ33
Former Member
  SN_WBHRR2.jpg - 184147 Bytes
« Reply #52 on: May 30th, 2006, 3:48pm »

on Apr 20th, 2006, 10:37pm, Josh U. wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I believe that there used to be a reservoir in sugar notch, which was drained when the interstate was built, so that's probably what the remains of that dam were from.  

I've really wanted to get out and explore that part of the WB & H right of way, but I'm always afraid to stop my car on the interstate.

I'm glad I saw those pictures though, because I always see that big piece of concrete from the highway on my way to school in the morning, and I could never get a good look at it through the trees. (not to mention having to keep my eyes on the road haha.)

Recently aquiring a 1947 map, it shows the resevoir and the abandoned ROW.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/SN_WBHRR2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 30th, 2006, 3:49pm by JhnZ33 » Logged
Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #53 on: May 31st, 2006, 11:43am »

on May 28th, 2006, 10:34pm, JhnZ33 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

After going as far as we could on the old LV ROW, we walked northeast toward where we thought the tunnel entrance might be. A clue may have been the water draining out of the side of the highway fill, but no ROW was to be found.

I forgot about this, but in the WB & H book I read, the author said there was a spot where they stopped on the interstate, where the north portal used to be. It says: Quote:
"Across [interstate 81], on the North side, we stepped to the brink of the fill, and there beneath us, we could plainly see the shelf which once supported the tunnel station siding, where the portable sub-station car spent most of its time to provide extra power to the third rail for cars climbing the long 3% grade up the slope."

I had always assumed that this was in between the north and southbound lanes of I-81, because there is a sort of recess, right where the northbound lane comes through the rock cut (seen from the southbound lane, there is a small dirt road that goes up into this recess). But, after rereading that part of the book, and what you said above, I'm wondering if this was on the other side of the southbound lane? I'll research this further.

By the way, nice map John. I've only seen the ones from present day, and they dont have the ROW marked in that spot. It cuts off right at the end of the tunnel. So, it is great to see the ROW as it was along there. Boy, I would have loved to have been around before the interstate was built, to walk the ROW completely through the tunnel, and down into Sugar Notch. That would have been something.

-Josh

JhnZ33
Former Member

« Reply #54 on: May 31st, 2006, 4:46pm »

Quote:
"Across [interstate 81], on the North side, we stepped to the brink of the fill, and there beneath us, we could plainly see the shelf which once supported the tunnel station siding, where the portable sub-station car spent most of its time to provide extra power to the third rail for cars climbing the long 3% grade up the slope."

We also need to remember that during the late 70's or 80's, the southbound lanes were widened to 3 lanes, after the book was written. What they saw when they were writing the book, is no longer visible today after the widening construction.

No signs of a shelf or siding is seen today. The area where the tunnel portal, siding, and LV main that crossed over it are buried under highway fill, never to be seen again.

Josh U.
Railfan
  Untitled-TrueColor-02.jpg - 111487 Bytes
« Reply #55 on: May 31st, 2006, 4:57pm »

on May 31st, 2006, 4:46pm, JhnZ33 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

We also need to remember that during the late 70's or 80's, the southbound lanes were widened to 3 lanes, after the book was written. What they saw when they were writing the book, is no longer visible today after the widening construction.

No signs of a shelf or siding is seen today. The area where the tunnel portal, siding, and LV main that crossed over it are buried under highway fill, never to be seen again.

Yes, I didn't think of that. But, I did find out the answer to my self-imposed question of whether or not that was between the lanes in that recess. It was not. That recess must just be from the highway equipment.  

I also found, on the Terraserver site, the area of the ROW that you had spoke of before, that seemed untouched. I took your map from above and compared to a present day map, and used the topographical markings to figure out where abouts it is. Then I traced the ROW on the present day one. Hopefully, I'll get out there someday to explore this section.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/Untitled-TrueColor-02.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 31st, 2006, 4:59pm by Josh U. » Logged

Josh U.
Railfan
  edited_Copy_of_Picturejru2s_camer_179.jpg - 34529 Bytes
« Reply #56 on: May 31st, 2006, 11:31pm »

Quote:

I got a chance to go back down there today to find that insulator. Unfortunately, it isn't as intact as I thought from when I found it before. It's recognizable, but there are several pieces broken off.

Next to where I found it, I found this transmission line pole, snapped off at the bottom. I missed this the first time I was down there.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/edited_Copy_of_Picturejru2s_camer_179.jpg
Click Image to Resize

JhnZ33
Former Member

« Reply #57 on: Jun 1st, 2006, 4:06am »

on May 31st, 2006, 11:31pm, Josh U. wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I got a chance to go back down there today to find that insulator. Unfortunately, it isn't as intact as I thought from when I found it before. It's recognizable, but there are several pieces broken off.

Unless the insulator is unrecognizeable, I would snatch it up anyway. There's no telling if you'll find another one or not.

Quote:
Next to where I found it, I found this transmission line pole, snapped off at the bottom. I missed this the first time I was down there.

That's pretty much what we found, although we also saw what was left of the rotting pole itself laying down the embankment.

Good find.

John

Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #58 on: Jun 1st, 2006, 11:03am »

on Jun 1st, 2006, 4:06am, JhnZ33 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Unless the insulator is unrecognizeable, I would snatch it up anyway. There's no telling if you'll find another one or not.

I did bring it home with me actually. I didn't expect it to be as heavy as it was. It added a good twenty pounds to my backpack for the ride home.

JhnZ33
Former Member

« Reply #59 on: Jun 3rd, 2006, 8:51am »

on Jun 1st, 2006, 11:03am, Josh U. wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I did bring it home with me actually. I didn't expect it to be as heavy as it was. It added a good twenty pounds to my backpack for the ride home.

Please snap a picture of it and post it if you wouldn't mind.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »