Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 16th, 2017, 9:50pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

A remnant of the Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Transit and Commuter
   Traction
(Moderators: , NS3360)
   A remnant of the Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: A remnant of the Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway  (Read 6356 times)
Josh U.
Railfan
Re: A remnant of the Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway

« Reply #160 on: Apr 22nd, 2010, 1:25am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Dec 15th, 2009, 3:54pm, ferlen wrote:       (Click here for original message)
When they built 81, they had a concrete dam across the entrance to the tunnel to capture water to make cement etc. If you notice, there is a large clearing right before the tunnel. That was used as a construction staging area. I personally was there in the 60's while they were putting in 81, and was at the tunnel before they blocked the one side off. Quite a breeze blew through it. I did not walk through it because of the rocks which had fallen down from the ceiling.

I remember reading about that makeshift dam in the book, but I was under the impression that it wasn't very big, maybe only a few inches high. And the chunks of concrete I had seen were quite large. If those weren't the pieces that adorned the top of the tunnel, it kind of raises the question of what happened to those pieces.  

And for the record, I would have LOVED to have been able walk all the way through the tunnel. It's a shame you don't have any photos!

Exploring the old WB & H, and looking for old pictures of the right of way.
ferlen

View Profile  

« Reply #161 on: Apr 27th, 2010, 6:50am »

I have one polaroid picture of the tunnel entrance before the construction of 81 was started, but I am afraid that's all. The dam was very small, you are right. It was used by the 81 constuction crew, but I did not see what for. There was a whole lot of material stored in the clearing while they were building the road. My brother and I walked over the mountain there and walked on 81 when it was being graded.

Lorenzo
Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #162 on: Apr 27th, 2010, 2:07pm »

on Apr 27th, 2010, 6:50am, ferlen wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I have one polaroid picture of the tunnel entrance before the construction of 81 was started, but I am afraid that's all. The dam was very small, you are right. It was used by the 81 constuction crew, but I did not see what for. There was a whole lot of material stored in the clearing while they were building the road. My brother and I walked over the mountain there and walked on 81 when it was being graded.

Do you think you could scan and post that polaroid? I'd love to see it!

schieftain
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #163 on: Aug 6th, 2010, 9:42am »

Not sure if anybody is still watching this string, but I grew up within spitting distance of the ROW in the vicinity of the Albert station. We used to hike and ride our bikes on the old line all the time. Often went all the way to the Penobscot tunnel, or the other direction down to Drums/St. Johns area. I was always curious about where the Albert station was exactly. We used to take trails through the woods, and get on the ROW between Yeager Rd. and the big curve/fill just south of there. At the bottom of that high curve, the creek goes under the grade though some big pipes. This is a tributary of Yeager Creek I believe. A little distance south of this fill, there is an overpass which was built over a farm road. The farm sites were on either side of the ROW, and still there when I lived there (back in the 1970s), but abandoned and being quickly reclaimed by the woods. The last time I was there (1984?) someone had set up a creosote operation in the woods, and was dipping raw railroad ties in vats on the site of one of the old farms. Years before that, when I was exploring these sites I found an old well, covered with some boards and sheet metal, and still full of water. Would be very easy for someone to fall into.  

I would guess the Albert station would be somewhere near where the ROW crossed Yeager Road (north of the curve-fill). There are old abutments there, so the grade was considerably higher than road level, and would make sense to place the platform close to the road so people getting on and off had easy access with wagons. I also read that they would pick up milk from local farms on this station, and there were a couple of farms right there. Having a high platform near the road, would facilitate loading/unloading milk cans off the back of a wagon. I never saw any platform remnants in the Albert area, but I think another thing to look for would be a wider ROW, as I believe there was a siding somewhere near the station.  

I was lucky enough to get a copy of Quinby's book back then when Carsten's was selling them, and I still have it, along with the notes I made in it as I explored the line. It's neat to know there are people today who are still interested in the WB&H. I have some old photos I took back then of the ROW in that area, one of the overpass I mentioned.  

I've been in the tunnel several times. It's really cool (literally). Haven't been in there in years now.

Ashley_John
Historian

« Reply #164 on: Aug 6th, 2010, 10:54am »

I, for one, would be interested in seeing any photos you have during your explorations. Please post away if you can.

TIA, John

Riding the rails of the past via media and exploration.
Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #165 on: Aug 7th, 2010, 1:55am »

As would I! Would love to see that area from way back when.

schieftain
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #166 on: Aug 9th, 2010, 1:01pm »

I'll try to look through my photos tonight and see what I still have. Probably nothing spectacular.

Ashley_John
Historian

« Reply #167 on: Aug 9th, 2010, 2:37pm »

on Aug 9th, 2010, 1:01pm, schieftain wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I'll try to look through my photos tonight and see what I still have. Probably nothing spectacular.

Spectacular or not, I'd be interested to have a look. Thanks

John

Riding the rails of the past via media and exploration.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »