Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 23rd, 2017, 6:15pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

A remnant of the Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Transit and Commuter
   Traction
(Moderators: , NS3360)
   A remnant of the Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: A remnant of the Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway  (Read 6364 times)
Josh U.
Railfan
Re: A remnant of the Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Rai
  edited_Copy_of_Picturejru2s_camer_076.jpg - 31045 Bytes
« Reply #140 on: Dec 28th, 2006, 12:01pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Dec 27th, 2006, 2:04am, jimboylan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
When Dan Green and I first explored the tunnel in 1975, we left a pen and notebook in a 5 gallon pickle jar at the far end, and painted "Visitors' Register - Sign Here" on a nearby rock.  Did any of you notice it? It was gone when we returned in 1981.
The far North end of the tunnel starts to curve to the right before ending at a pile of dirt and small stones with a corrugated drain pipe under it.  Has anyone found the other end of the that pipe?

I've got to say, the pickle jar idea was good. However, I wasn't even born until several years after that. lol.

I have wanted to go all the way through the tunnel, but the last time I was up there, my friend and I chickened out (not mention we were running low on our time limit). We did leave a long stick leaning up against the east wall to mark how far we had gotten. It wasn't very far, only far enough to see the timbers that hold the ceiling in place (where it starts to become more square-shaped inside).

Here's a photo of the mouth of the south end, for the hell of it.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/edited_Copy_of_Picturejru2s_camer_076.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Exploring the old WB & H, and looking for old pictures of the right of way.
jimboylan
Railfan

« Reply #141 on: Dec 29th, 2006, 4:25pm »

on Oct 12th, 2005, 12:24pm, NS3360 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
WB&H dabbled with the freight business interchanging with railroads, but that serivce quickly died off...
Who runs the W-B&H freight service over Black Creek to Hazle Park now?  I lost track after ConRail took it from the Lehigh Valley.

Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #142 on: Dec 29th, 2006, 4:55pm »

on Dec 29th, 2006, 4:25pm, jimboylan wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Who runs the W-B&H freight service over Black Creek to Hazle Park now?  I lost track after ConRail took it from the Lehigh Valley.

As far as I know Conrail still does actually.

Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #143 on: Jan 2nd, 2007, 1:49pm »

I was out today just looking around, near where the WB&H crossed under Mill Mountain Rd. in St. Johns, right by the Pocono Mtn. Speedway, and low and behold, what do I find? Part of a downed transmission line pole, and not one, but two insulators! Two! The one was pretty destroyed, but the other is in near perfect condition, save for some small bits missing on the top!

It's weird because I've walked through that area before, but never saw these. I'll hopefully have pictures up soon, once they're loaded on my camera, and once i clean off the insulator a bit.

Old Guy
TRAINing

« Reply #144 on: Jan 4th, 2007, 8:40pm »

Hi Guys,

I see another Quimby WB&H paperback on E-Bay.  #220066761256 $10.99  Free Shipping  1 day left.

Also Hazleton's Trolleys by Rohrbeck on E-Bay available at $22.

Old Guy

Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #145 on: Mar 17th, 2007, 12:32pm »

If this snow ever lets up down here, I'd love to get out and do some exploring. But, since we just got another foot or so last night (you know, the day after the stuff from the Valentines Day storm actually melted!), it's not looking good.

Oh, and Craig, I'm sorry I haven't gotten in touch with you in quite some time. I've been pretty busy with school lately, but I'll be sure to soon. I'd still like to see that old picture you've got of the Butler Dr. and Beisels Rd. intersection.

Josh U.
Railfan
Re: A remnant of the Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway
  wbh_5.jpg - 42662 Bytes
« Reply #146 on: Aug 8th, 2007, 2:32pm »

Lately, I've had some free time, so I've been trying to get out along parts of the ROW that I haven't seen before, or haven't seen in a while.

First off, I went to the tunnel, and walked further back in than before, but still not all the way through. I did, however, get this picture of the mouth, and lightened it a bit, so you can see some of the rock formations.

I also made a discovery that I didn't notice last time. Outside the mouth of the tunnel laying right in the middle of the ROW, there is what appears to be concrete, which I figure is probably that which once adorned the tunnel entrance. Unfortunately, I didn't think to snap a picture of it.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/wbh_5.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2007, 2:37pm by Josh U. » Logged

Josh U.
Railfan
  wbh_4.jpg - 86089 Bytes
« Reply #147 on: Aug 8th, 2007, 2:40pm »

That same day, I hiked over to the Solomon Creek viaduct. I also walked on the gravity railroad a bit as well.

Here's a shot of the viaduct.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/wbh_4.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Josh U.
Railfan
  wbh_2.jpg - 80851 Bytes
« Reply #148 on: Aug 8th, 2007, 2:45pm »

A couple weeks later, me and a friend followed the old LVRR ROW from the Alden Mountain Road over to the area where the north portal would be. Probably about a 5 or 6 mile round trip.  

I saw the water that drains out of the fill, but I wasn't able to get to the area where it drains from. We then got up on the old ROW, and walked down.

There was an area where the ROW got cut off by the interstate fill again, but further down, it emerged again, and we followed it a bit longer.

Here is the higher part of the ROW, looking in the direction of the tunnel, right before it got cut off again.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/wbh_2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Josh U.
Railfan
  wbh_3.jpg - 62664 Bytes
« Reply #149 on: Aug 8th, 2007, 2:50pm »

Here is another shot, from beyond where it gets cut off, looking towards Sugar Notch.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/wbh_3.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Josh U.
Railfan
  map.jpg - 71932 Bytes
« Reply #150 on: Aug 8th, 2007, 3:04pm »

Here's a map showing the places where I took the pictures. And the dotted line shows where the ROW went beneath the fill.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/map.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Josh U.
Railfan
  wbh_1.jpg - 66780 Bytes
« Reply #151 on: Aug 8th, 2007, 3:05pm »

And lastly, a picture of one of several snapped transmission line poles, like John spoke of, that litter the ROW below 81.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/wbh_1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

tricofisher
TRAINing

« Reply #152 on: Feb 8th, 2008, 11:38pm »

My son is a train fan and outdoor fan. How do I find maps of these "ROWS" so we can walk them? I am from the Mountain Top area and also have intrest in the Ashley Planes and finding them so we can walk them. He on the other hand is interested in the tunnels. Any help is appreciated.

Ashley_John
Former Member

« Reply #153 on: Feb 9th, 2008, 11:28am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Feb 8th, 2008, 11:38pm, tricofisher wrote:       (Click here for original message)
My son is a train fan and outdoor fan. How do I find maps of these "ROWS" so we can walk them? I am from the Mountain Top area and also have intrest in the Ashley Planes and finding them so we can walk them. He on the other hand is interested in the tunnels. Any help is appreciated.

Welcome! Most of what you seek will be contained within this thread or the other thread about the WB&H in this forum. As far as specific maps, they are few and far between and any map I've seen attempted is usually a very basic drawing with errors, especially north of the tunnel. I have traced and posted the correct route from the tunnel to the terminal in Wilkes-Barre by overlaying the 1939 aerial images from Penn Pilot onto more recent maps. They should be in this thread somewhere.

Also check out satellite images from Google and Windows Live Local. You can follow the ROW, which is pretty much intact, from Hazleton to the tunnel and you have a present day map to follow.

There isn't much to see north of the tunnel, save the ROW along 81 in the Sugar Notch area and the area at Solomon's creek. Most of the landscape containing the ROW in this area was obliterated by mining and construction of I-81 and Route 309.

If you have question that can't be answered by the posts in this thread, let me know.

John

tricofisher
TRAINing

« Reply #154 on: Feb 11th, 2008, 7:08pm »

Ashley _John thanks for the info, hopefully once the weather breaks a little I can get out there with my son. Where is that tunnel located that Josh posted a photo of ?

Ashley_John
Former Member

« Reply #155 on: Feb 11th, 2008, 8:22pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Feb 11th, 2008, 7:08pm, tricofisher wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Where is that tunnel located that Josh posted a photo of ?

Heading I-81 north from Nuangola, at mile marker 161.1.  As you enter the rock cut and just before you crest Penobscot mountain, the south portal is down on the right side of the highway fill. I myself, have never been to the tunnel. XPLORER or Josh can give you more detailed info on how to access it.

John

ikesherry
TRAINing

« Reply #156 on: Jul 1st, 2009, 11:02am »

Have any of you guys tried the geocaching sites? They have many good hides along the old railbeds and may be able to supply some other odd info.  
Geocaching.com is free to register and you can find a number of links to the old cannonball tunnel as well as the ashley plains area.  
I.E. There is a access road(on the right 1/4 mile away)  just south of the old brass rail restaurant on 309south that will take you right on to the old line that ran to mttop.

ferlen

View Profile  

« Reply #157 on: Dec 15th, 2009, 3:49pm »

Norfolk Southern uses the ROW to service some industries in the area.on Dec 29th, 2006, 4:55pm, Josh U. wrote:       (Click here for original message)

As far as I know Conrail still does actually.

Lorenzo
ferlen

View Profile  

« Reply #158 on: Dec 15th, 2009, 3:54pm »

When they built 81, they had a concrete dam across the entrance to the tunnel to capture water to make cement etc. If you notice, there is a large clearing right before the tunnel. That was used as a construction staging area. I personally was there in the 60's while they were putting in 81, and was at the tunnel before they blocked the one side off. Quite a breeze blew through it. I did not walk through it because of the rocks which had fallen down from the ceiling.on Aug 8th, 2007, 2:32pm, Josh U. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Lately, I've had some free time, so I've been trying to get out along parts of the ROW that I haven't seen before, or haven't seen in a while.

First off, I went to the tunnel, and walked further back in than before, but still not all the way through. I did, however, get this picture of the mouth, and lightened it a bit, so you can see some of the rock formations.

I also made a discovery that I didn't notice last time. Outside the mouth of the tunnel laying right in the middle of the ROW, there is what appears to be concrete, which I figure is probably that which once adorned the tunnel entrance. Unfortunately, I didn't think to snap a picture of it.

Lorenzo
Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #159 on: Apr 22nd, 2010, 1:20am »

on Jul 1st, 2009, 11:02am, ikesherry wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Have any of you guys tried the geocaching sites? They have many good hides along the old railbeds and may be able to supply some other odd info.  
Geocaching.com is free to register and you can find a number of links to the old cannonball tunnel as well as the ashley plains area.  
I.E. There is a access road(on the right 1/4 mile away)  just south of the old brass rail restaurant on 309south that will take you right on to the old line that ran to mttop.

I've actually just recently gotten into geocaching. There are a couple related to the WB&H, but really not many. I've thought about making one and putting it in the way back of the Nuangola Tunnel, see if anyone's courageous enough for that one!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »