Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 23rd, 2017, 1:31pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

A remnant of the Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Transit and Commuter
   Traction
(Moderators: , NS3360)
   A remnant of the Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: A remnant of the Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway  (Read 6331 times)
Inlet-Longport
Railfan
Re: A remnant of the Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Rai

« Reply #100 on: Jun 26th, 2006, 9:18pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I enjoyed being able to take a brief visit, through this forum, to the remnants of a lost traction line.

It makes me recall a remark that the late Baltimore railfan George Nixon once made to me:  "Nature has a way of reclaiming things."

Josh U.
Railfan
  edited_Picturejru2s_camer_185.jpg - 27205 Bytes
« Reply #101 on: Jun 30th, 2006, 10:34am »

Here's a pic I took just the other day of the old St. Johns power house. It's presently being used as a slaughter house.

I actually took this picture while I was out with the camera taking pictures of the flooding. Behind here is an old bridge, similar to the one across Big Wapwollopen Creek.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/edited_Picturejru2s_camer_185.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Exploring the old WB & H, and looking for old pictures of the right of way.
Josh U.
Railfan
  edited_Picturejru2s_camer_015.jpg - 37824 Bytes
« Reply #102 on: Jun 30th, 2006, 10:45am »

Here's the bridge I mentioned in the last post. It crosses the Nescopeck Creek, right behind the old power house. It's a terrible picture, but the only one I have. It was being used as a swimming hole for some of the local kids (note the interesting graffiti).

I'll see if I can get a photo off of my friend from the flood. I'm not sure if she got one from here or not.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/edited_Picturejru2s_camer_015.jpg
Click Image to Resize

across_thetracks
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #103 on: Jul 4th, 2006, 12:26pm »

on Feb 23rd, 2006, 7:11pm, JhnZ33 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Rick, I just picked up a book off ebay, and it shows a photo of the North entrance of the tunnel. Don't know if it's the same book you have, but this book is published by Carstens publications in 1972.

Below is the photo, taken in 1936.

across_thetracks
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #104 on: Jul 4th, 2006, 12:29pm »

Looking for the name , author and/or publishing company of the book on WB&H railroad.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #105 on: Jul 4th, 2006, 1:58pm »

on Jul 4th, 2006, 12:29pm, across_thetracks wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Looking for the name , author and/or publishing company of the book on WB&H railroad.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The name of the book is "Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway", by Edwin Jay Quinby.

If you're looking to buy a copy, you can go here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0911868011/qid=1152035606/sr=12-1/103-9638801-8428640?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #106 on: Jul 5th, 2006, 8:41am »

on Jun 4th, 2006, 10:42pm, Josh U. wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Here it is. Like I said, it's not very intact, only recognizable.

Anyone up for a thread to post pics of their insulator collection(s)?

Moderates: Traction, ALCO, GVT Short Lines, Short Lines

Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #107 on: Jul 16th, 2006, 12:23am »

on Jul 5th, 2006, 8:41am, NS3360 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Anyone up for a thread to post pics of their insulator collection(s)?

I don't know about the other guys in this forum, but I only have the one insulator, so not much of a collection to show off. lol.

I'm actually not sure what to do with it now that I have it. I had thought about donating it to the Conyngham Valley Historical Society.

Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #108 on: Aug 21st, 2006, 12:17pm »

Hmm, I feel alone in this forum lately. What happened to everybody? lol

JhnZ33
Former Member

« Reply #109 on: Aug 24th, 2006, 8:54pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Aug 21st, 2006, 12:17pm, Josh U. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hmm, I feel alone in this forum lately. What happened to everybody? lol

Hey Josh,  

Not sure about anyone else, but for me, it's been a little busy lately. Haven't had the chance to get out and do any exploring. Even if time wasn't a problem, up until lately, it's been too hot to get out for some fact finding missions.

Over on the Lackwanna forum, we are thinking about a quest of the former Bloomburg Branch from around west Pittston to Scranton to see if we can find anything there. The trip is tentatively set for Saturday, September 2nd, though no one has actually commited to the trip yet (still hashing out the details).

If you have the time and you are interested in joining us, let us know. There are about 5 or 6 people interested so far.

John

Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #110 on: Aug 25th, 2006, 12:54am »

on Aug 24th, 2006, 8:54pm, JhnZ33 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Hey Josh,  

Not sure about anyone else, but for me, it's been a little busy lately. Haven't had the chance to get out and do any exploring. Even if time wasn't a problem, up until lately, it's been too hot to get out for some fact finding missions.

Over on the Lackwanna forum, we are thinking about a quest of the former Bloomburg Branch from around west Pittston to Scranton to see if we can find anything there. The trip is tentatively set for Saturday, September 2nd, though no one has actually commited to the trip yet (still hashing out the details).

If you have the time and you are interested in joining us, let us know. There are about 5 or 6 people interested so far.

John

Hey John,

Thank you for the invite. Unfortunately, I don't believe I'll be able to make it. The weekends seem to be my busy time.

But, it is good to see you're still around. I hadn't heard from you in quite some time. I understand that the summer can be a very busy time for some though.

-Josh

Josh U.
Railfan
  Untitled-Stitched-02.jpg - 57145 Bytes
« Reply #111 on: Oct 14th, 2006, 11:02pm »

Here's some pictures of the old Nuangola Substation, now someone's home.

I believe there was another misprint in the book, and that the older photo below is actually the Nuangola Station (notice the diferences in the machinery buildings in the two old photos of the substations).

However, I can't explain the small differences between the old picture and the new picture, (not counting the obvious addition in the front), except perhaps that the people now living in the building have made some adjustments.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/Untitled-Stitched-02.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2006, 11:11pm by Josh U. » Logged

Josh U.
Railfan
  Untitled-TrueColor-01.jpg - 35832 Bytes
« Reply #112 on: Oct 14th, 2006, 11:07pm »

Another view from the front.

Also, I didnt get a picture of it, but near the house, there were concrete remains of something (about 20 or so yards north of the substation), but I'm not sure what it was. Possibly the remains of an old block signal?

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/Untitled-TrueColor-01.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2006, 11:13pm by Josh U. » Logged

Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #113 on: Oct 15th, 2006, 2:51pm »

John,  

I'm curious, does that map you have from 1947 have the ROW marked on it from around Solomon Gap to the Georgetown Substation? If so, could you post a picture of that part on here?

Thanks, Josh.

JhnZ33
Former Member

« Reply #114 on: Oct 26th, 2006, 3:13pm »

on Oct 14th, 2006, 11:02pm, Josh U. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Here's some pictures of the old Nuangola Substation, now someone's home.

I believe there was another misprint in the book, and that the older photo below is actually the Nuangola Station (notice the diferences in the machinery buildings in the two old photos of the substations).

However, I can't explain the small differences between the old picture and the new picture, (not counting the obvious addition in the front), except perhaps that the people now living in the building have made some adjustments.

Josh, the substations at Georgetown and Nuangola were virtually the same, except for a few minor differences.  

The comparison photo that you posted, showing the old against the new, the top "old" photo is definately of Georgetown. Notice the window openings on the 2-story portion of the stucture, they are definately different.  

If you go back through this thread, I have posted pictures of the Georgetown substation, and the window locations match that of the "old" photo.

John

JhnZ33
Former Member

« Reply #115 on: Oct 26th, 2006, 3:23pm »

on Oct 15th, 2006, 2:51pm, Josh U. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
John,  

I'm curious, does that map you have from 1947 have the ROW marked on it from around Solomon Gap to the Georgetown Substation? If so, could you post a picture of that part on here?

Thanks, Josh.

Josh, unfortunately, the map only shows the ROW as far as where the Brass Rail restaurant is located today, right off of 309 near the bottom of the mountain heading to W-B.

Looking at Timetables, we know that "Hill St." in Ashley was listed as a stop. Hill St. now ends right at the fill for route 81 southbound lane. Major excavation of the land from the construction of 81, route 309 improvements and mining has forever changed the landscape and any trace of the ROW is surely gone in this area (except for the temporary line built into Ashley, in use from 1903 to 1907. The portal under the CNJ mainline still exists today.).

John

Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #116 on: Oct 26th, 2006, 8:27pm »

on Oct 26th, 2006, 3:13pm, JhnZ33 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Josh, the substations at Georgetown and Nuangola were virtually the same, except for a few minor differences.  

The comparison photo that you posted, showing the old against the new, the top "old" photo is definately of Georgetown. Notice the window openings on the 2-story portion of the stucture, they are definately different.  

If you go back through this thread, I have posted pictures of the Georgetown substation, and the window locations match that of the "old" photo.

John

I did notice that, but I thought maybe the reason the windows were different was because of the addition the current residents put on, and from modifiying it for additional housing.  

What I was looking at was the adjacent foreground building. Notice how much different they look in the two old pictures. Plus, both of those pictures, I believe, are from after the line shut down. I find it unlikely that they would have changed it then. The other old picture's adjacent structure (from the definite Georgetown picture: http://forums.railfan.net/image.cgi?Traction/WBHRR_GSUB_BA1.jpg) still looks the same, from the pictures you posted earlier.  

Josh U.
Railfan

« Reply #117 on: Oct 26th, 2006, 8:32pm »

on Oct 26th, 2006, 3:23pm, JhnZ33 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Josh, unfortunately, the map only shows the ROW as far as where the Brass Rail restaurant is located today, right off of 309 near the bottom of the mountain heading to W-B.

Looking at Timetables, we know that "Hill St." in Ashley was listed as a stop. Hill St. now ends right at the fill for route 81 southbound lane. Major excavation of the land from the construction of 81, route 309 improvements and mining has forever changed the landscape and any trace of the ROW is surely gone in this area (except for the temporary line built into Ashley, in use from 1903 to 1907. The portal under the CNJ mainline still exists today.).

John

Thanks anyway. You actually cleared something up for me, about the portal under the CNJ. I thought that was part of the mainline after 1907, and I was getting confused as to how that lined up with the substation.

Do you have any idea as to where the line traveled between the substation and where it joined in next to Coal St.?

Josh U.
Railfan
  wbh.jpg - 61493 Bytes
« Reply #118 on: Oct 26th, 2006, 8:44pm »

Could these be the only remaining rails from the WB & H?

They sit in the rushing water from the Jeddo Tunnel. This picture was taken from atop the concrete overpass I posted a picture of a while back. This is the only place I have seen along the line where there are remains of the running rails.

(Bridge in picture is an old road, not affiliated with the railway.)

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Traction/wbh.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2006, 8:47pm by Josh U. » Logged

JhnZ33
Former Member

« Reply #119 on: Oct 26th, 2006, 9:00pm »

on Oct 26th, 2006, 8:32pm, Josh U. wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Thanks anyway. You actually cleared something up for me, about the portal under the CNJ. I thought that was part of the mainline after 1907, and I was getting confused as to how that lined up with the substation.

Do you have any idea as to where the line traveled between the substation and where it joined in next to Coal St.?

Not really, I only have my theories. When I have some free time, I will try and map out what I think was the route and post it.

Actually, now that I think about it, there is a member here who has access to a 1930 map of the Wyoming Valley, which shows the line from the Brass Rail restaurant all the way to the Wilkes-Barre terminal. Unfortunately, the map is rather large and cannot be scanned by your average scanner. He did talk about having it scanned professionally, but I haven't heard anything about it since he mentioned it.

John

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »