Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 16th, 2017, 3:44pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Illinois Traction and other Midwest Interurbans
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Transit and Commuter
   Traction
(Moderators: , NS3360)
   Illinois Traction and other Midwest Interurbans
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Illinois Traction and other Midwest Interurbans  (Read 2212 times)
RDG484
Former Member
Re: Illinois Traction and other Midwest Interurban

« Reply #60 on: Mar 31st, 2005, 8:16pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

The first time I rode the P&W was 1969, the last year of Red Arrow ownership.  The next time I rode was after the SEPTA takeover.  It had been changed from a railroad style operation to a trolley operation, which may have halved labor costs, but going into the 1980's, one-man operation and non-railroad operating rules contributed to the rash of accidents they had at that time.  In fact, P&W's track speed was only 1 MPH less than the track speed on what is now the Northeast Corridor at that time; 79 vs. 80 MPH.  

I would imagine riding the Liberty Bell Route was in some ways similar to riding the C&LE, i.e., single-track, some street running, high-speeds, with passing sidings; just a little more hilly.

« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2005, 4:39am by RDG484 » Logged
Walt_C
Historian

« Reply #61 on: Apr 1st, 2005, 12:13pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

LVT's Liberty Bell Route WAS very similar to C&LE, and, of course, after 1939 used former C&LE Red Devil Cars ( as the LVT 1000's) I don't know, off hand, whether the Liberty Route was block signal protected  north of Norristown, but LVT managed to avoid the kind of fatal head on collisions that had plagued the C&LE-- even though LVT was using the same cars.

Please move to the rear and speed your ride-Regards, Walt
RDG484
Former Member

« Reply #62 on: Apr 1st, 2005, 8:36pm »

The LVT used signals at the sidings, but it didn't stop one major accident from happening.  I think it was the 1003 that smashed head-on into a Jewett freight car, which had been converted from an MU passenger car.

« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2005, 11:38am by RDG484 » Logged
RDG484
Former Member
  NB_Bullet_approaches_King_Manor.jpg - 98853 Bytes
« Reply #63 on: Apr 4th, 2005, 5:14pm »

Here's a shot of a northbound train splitting a set of C&O-style color-light automatics, approaching King Manor.  Just think:  This "trolley" line USED to be a bona-fide railroad, and operated as though it were a Class I !!!!

The C&LE "Red Devils" ran on this same stretch of ABS-signaled railroad before going out on their own at Norristown.  The only time you saw signals at all on the LVT was at the passing sidings.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (98853 bytes, 1084x766 pixels)

Click Here to View Image NB_Bullet_approaches_King_Manor.jpg - 98853 Bytes

« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2005, 11:39am by RDG484 » Logged
CarterB
Railfan

« Reply #64 on: Jun 14th, 2006, 5:23pm »

Other than the ITS sleeper "Peoria" at the IRM and the ex Interstate Public Service sleeper (PGE) "Clinton", did any other interurban sleepers survive?

Are either of the two above restored inside? and/or what is their current condition?

CarterB
Railfan
Re: Illinois Traction and other Midwest Interurbans

« Reply #65 on: Oct 4th, 2007, 3:37pm »

I have heard that IRM is in process of restoring cars 233 and 234?  Any plans for either of them to be "operable" in a sense of being pulled, since traction motors are long gone?

JohnB
TRAINing

« Reply #66 on: Jun 28th, 2008, 11:50am »

on Oct 23rd, 2003, 11:31am, pierre630 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
anyone have any info and photos of the chicago ottawa and peoria or chicago and illinois valley they were part of illinois terminal system for about 10 years i belong all the yahoo groups and  iths thank you

I've seen a bunch of photos of different electric roads that served in Illinois on Dave's Electric Railroads.net. They even show the C&IV & CO&P,as well as,the C&JE. They have a photo of  CO&P's car before it became a part of the ITC roster. Give it a shot,you'll be hooked as I am. John Baletto,Alsip,IL

CarterB
Railfan
Re: Illinois Traction and other Midwest Interurbans

« Reply #67 on: May 23rd, 2011, 1:12pm »

Just trying to resurrect this Interurban subject.

Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »