Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 23rd, 2017, 1:32pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rochester Syracue & Eastern
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Transit and Commuter
   Traction
(Moderators: , NS3360)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rochester Syracue & Eastern  (Read 186 times)
pontiac59
Railfan
View Profile   WWW  

« on: Apr 19th, 2002, 9:07am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Anyone have a source for info on this line?  such as: a map, dates of opening and abandonment, etc.

There are some remnants of a ROW near me that I believe must be from this road, but they aim in some odd directions so I'm trying to figure out just where it went...  have ruled out all the steam roads, also.

Thanks

Bill

hudsonelectric
Historian
Re: Rochester Syracue & Eastern

« Reply #1 on: Apr 30th, 2002, 6:23am »

Bill...

I have a copy of 'The Electric Interurban Railways in America'. There is a brief history of this line in one of the sections...send me an e-mail and I'll reply with a scan of the page.

Russ

firstbelt
Historian
Re: Rochester Syracuse & Eastern

« Reply #2 on: Dec 17th, 2009, 6:01pm »

on Apr 19th, 2002, 9:07am, pontiac59 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Anyone have a source for info on this line?  such as: a map, dates of opening and abandonment, etc.

Bill

Found a writeup on the trail along the Erie Canal east of Rochester.
http://www.footprintpress.com/Rochester/perintonHikeBikeway.htm

There's a photo of a remaining RS&E station in Fairport in the Existing Stations website.  You'd have to select a view of Monroe County stations, then slide to the bottom of the listing by railroads to find the RS&E.
http://ny.existingstations.com/

[edited:]
There is a section in the book by William Reed Gordon - "When Rochester Rode by Rail, Vol.2."  The photos include the RS&E at Erie RR Court St station.  There is a listing of stations and a couple maps.
Should have looked before I mentioned NYS Railways; I didn't realize the RS&E was part of the Beebe syndicate.  

I volunteered for several years at the NY Museum of Transportation in Rush, NY, and learned a bit about western NY interurbans.  There were four lines serving Rochester that accessed downtown, a couple which used the Rochester subway.  There was a turnaround for them on the west side of downtown near Broad St and the former NYC mainline.

« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2009, 12:22pm by firstbelt » Logged
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »