Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 21st, 2017, 1:38pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Opening Day Weekend 2012
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Strasburg Railroad
(Moderators: , Andrew_J._McKernan, steamtrain475, )
   Opening Day Weekend 2012
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Opening Day Weekend 2012  (Read 986 times)
Man with no Name
Railfan
View Profile  

Opening Day Weekend 2012

« on: Jan 10th, 2012, 12:52pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Now that the Holidays are basically over, the time for Strasburg to reopen for the season will be here before we know it.  

I know it may be a bit far in advance, and there's absolutely no way to know for sure, but what is a good assumption for the motive power that weekend? I may be heading down to the road and I'm curious which engine will run.

« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2012, 12:52pm by Man with no Name » Logged

PRR1223
Former Member
Re: Opening Day Weekend 2012

« Reply #1 on: Jan 12th, 2012, 7:06pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I would hate to just speculate, but I think I could here, It's been a year since 31 has ran, I wouldnt be surprised to find out her overhaul was finished and see her open the season.

565fan
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Jan 13th, 2012, 10:39am »

I just received an invite from a friend to join his annual gathering on opening day.  I will very likely be there!  Hoping for an exciting day.  

www.project3713.com

Berks28
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Feb 1st, 2012, 1:01am »

What I heard from the railroad, a couple weeks ago, 475 will  be starting the year off.

Strasburg31
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Feb 2nd, 2012, 12:06am »

I wish it was 7312

Write to Old Tucson Movie Studios and ask them to donate the V&T Reno, #11 to a museum.
www.oldtucson.com
Brian Tusin
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Feb 2nd, 2012, 6:37pm »

On Strasburg's Facebook page, they stated 475 would be running.  I was thinking about going if 90 or 89 were running, but I don't think I am since 475 is running.

Brian

565fan
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Feb 2nd, 2012, 11:11pm »

How spoiled we all are!  It's steam in February, and we are acting like a bunch of snobs! Steam locomotives were antiquated almost 100 years ago. We should be happy any of them can run, much less that a railroad has four from which to choose.  Go or stay home, but don't blame the railroad for bringing out "the wrong" engine.

www.project3713.com

Brian Tusin
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Feb 3rd, 2012, 8:29am »

I am not blaming the railroad for running the wrong engine.  Both times I went to Strasburg last year the 475 was running.   So this year I want to go when 90 or 89 is running.  I will still go to Strasburg atleast twice this year.  Plus for me it is a 5 hour drive, so I really can only make it to the railroad a couple times a year at most.  I will most likely wait for a weekend in April to go.

Brian

SR4501
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Feb 3rd, 2012, 7:48pm »

I agree with both of you. Yes we should not complain about what steam engine is running on opening day. Be happy a steam engine is running these days. Yet if I were to do a trip that would take 5 hours (it is actually 4 hours for me from NY) and I want to see a particular steam engine, I would be upset if I did not see her in operation, knowing I planned a trip. #475 is not my favorite locomotive, neither are #7312 or #89. 90 is my favorite but no matter which engine is running, it is always a pleasure to see these engines operate, with the employess taking pride in maintaining and operating 100 year old machines. Now if they would get our little LIRR G-5 #39 up and running, that would just be awessome.  

http://www.rvcmr.org

"I am the thoroughbred of steam- Born to run- Born to be free- Forgive them Lord, for they know not what they do!"
565fan
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Feb 4th, 2012, 10:37pm »

@ Brian.  I know it seems as if I came down hard on you for choosing not to make the trip that weekend.  You actually backed up your decision with logical points.  No matter which engine is running on the Rail Road, it is a 5 hour drive for you.  You have to justify the time and the two tanks of gas to make it worth your while.  

My point was that Strasburg actually has a stable of locomotives, and so many people take it for granted.  At most other places, having one steam engine is so special, people chase it every chance they get. With Strasburg, we figure they will always be around and will always have four steamers to offer, five if you count Thomas.  So we can just "wait" for our favorite.  Yet in the 21st Century, steam truly is rare, and we need to support any operation if we can.  If someone has other obligations on the opening day, that is fine also.  However, I know many people in an easy drive of any railroad who won't bother to leave their TVs for a day even if it is a special operation.  

No offense was intended.  I have my moments of being a steam snob as much as any other guy.

www.project3713.com

Berks28
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Feb 8th, 2012, 12:23am »

Strasburg is an hour drive for me, I go up each chance I get.    

Berks28
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #11 on: Feb 8th, 2012, 12:24am »

I Can't wait to come up on opening day with my friend alex.  

565fan
Historian

« Reply #12 on: Feb 19th, 2012, 9:49pm »

Hey folks.  Here are some of my shots from the opening day.  What a wonderful, almost totally sunny day.  This is no. 475 as she leaves the engine house to begin a day's work.

Waiting in line for tickets.

475 attached to the train.

The brand new historical marker indicating the significance of the railroad to the history of Pennsylvania.

Beautiful image of the tree branch shadows on the Combine.

Speaking of beautiful, here is one of the light fixtures from the ceiling of the Walnut Hollow coach.
More to come...

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #13 on: Feb 19th, 2012, 10:03pm »

The 12 noon train completed, the trainman holds back pedestrians at the crossing by the tower.

Back em up, way back!

Getting ready for the 1:00 train.

Hauling the train to Carpenters crossing

After the outbound train left the crossing, we hiked to photograph the new concrete overpass that goes over the Pumpkintown turnpike.

Perhaps the most sturdy concrete crossing to span a dirt road.

Heading back to East Strasburg station.

... as the 2PM train rolled toward us, my camera conked out. This is the only shot I have of that train, from Esben Shade Road crossing.

That's my Strasburg adventure.  I hope your day(s) went as well.  On to a new season.  

www.project3713.com

bigjim4life
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Feb 20th, 2012, 10:01pm »

And my video (in HD) from opening day:

http://youtu.be/6w9EM2EufNY

565fan
Historian

« Reply #15 on: May 8th, 2016, 10:38pm »

I came across these photos I took with the film camera on the same day in 2012.  

475 back by the Loco shop along with the 44-tonner.

Catching the run-around move at J Tower.  That is Tom Nemeth of Railpace News Magazine we see.

You can see I was trying to be artistic on this one.  Not so sure artistic is the end-result.

The funny thing about Strasburg is the wind is always blowing the smoke forward.  Getting the smoke to flow where you expect it is not always easy.

I opted to use the film camera for the ultimate shot of the brand new Pumpkintown Pike viaduct instead of the digital.  I really like how this came out.  Smoke and steam were cooperating, too.

www.project3713.com

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »