Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 28th, 2017, 10:06pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Railfest 2016
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Steamtown
(Moderators: NKP759fan, strasburg90)
   Railfest 2016
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Railfest 2016  (Read 227 times)
565fan
Historian
Railfest 2016

« on: May 4th, 2016, 11:38pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

The 10th Railfest at Steamtown is coming up this September, on the 3rd and 4th.  Steam is back in the form of Baldwin Locomotive Works No. 26, and many colorful diesels will be on display.  The tours of Mattes Street Tower and the locomotive shop open house will be available.  The Mid-Atlantic Motor Car Association will also have several cars operating on the east end of the locomotive shop, plus they will have their mid-day program on the turntable.  

Diesel excursions to Moscow take place each day at 12:30 PM and will include a photo rugby at the station.  

As more specific items become known, I plan to list them here.  Feel free to add your photos of the event when you participate.  This is still a good forum to access old memories of the park over the years.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian
Re: Railfest 2016

« Reply #1 on: May 17th, 2016, 9:26pm »

Perhaps the biggest news for 2016's RailFest is the visit by Old Peppersass, an 1866 built cog steam locomotive which will be on a tour this year celebrating 150 years of existence.  Mount Washington Cog Scenic Railroad will allow us to display this locomotive for Railfest and part of the remaining month.  I have not heard yet when they need to move on to the next location.

Here is a photo I found on Flickr. https://www.flickr.com/photos/28603549@N04/2903180115

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian
Re: Railfest 2016

« Reply #2 on: Sep 17th, 2016, 11:16pm »

Railfest 2016 is over and done.  The theme this year was the NPS Centennial, and all the planning for this year meant that all of the activity fell on the NPS staff and their local partners.  As a reminder to future me, this year Amtrak could not attend.  I have heard their budget is cut on the promotions end, but am not sure if that is why they could not come.  Norfolk Southern indicated that they would not handle any equipment moves free of charge.  So that meant that not only would they not send anything, but if we had cars or engines promised, they could not get here without Steamtown paying the bill.  

Nonetheless it was a great weekend, with beautiful weather.  Photos coming, but here is one of superintendent Conway at the opening ceremony with Baldwin 26 on the turntable.  

www.project3713.com

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »