Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 17th, 2017, 6:07pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Steamtown 2015 Excursions
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Steamtown
(Moderators: NKP759fan, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Steamtown 2015 Excursions  (Read 727 times)
565fan
Historian

« on: Mar 22nd, 2015, 11:38pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

http://www.nps.gov/stea/planyourvisit/2015-excursions.htm

Follow the above link to the excursion schedule, which begins very early this year: April 25, and continues through Halloween.  More trips may be added, but this is a very ambitious roster of excursions.  

Each individual excursion is also listed as an event on the Steamtown National Historic Site Facebook page.  
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Steamtown-National-Historic-Site/151286568217222

I hope you each get a chance to ride or chase a few of these.  See you trackside!

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian
Re: Steamtown 2015 Excursions

« Reply #1 on: Apr 3rd, 2015, 4:48pm »

Tickets are available for purchase now.  Call the ticket booth, (570)340-5204 between 9 AM and 4 PM.  Or stop by the park during those hours if you want to pay by check or with cash.
There are 2 inbound excursions this year.  April 24 runs from Jessup to Scranton to help celebrate the kickoff of the 150th birthday of Scranton.  An ethnic festival with various foods, dances, music and other cultural activities will take place in the Mall at Steamtown between 12 when the train arrives and 3 when it heads back to Jessup.  The Mall activities actually run from 11 to 9, with fireworks possibly being shot off a rooftop garage in town at 9:00 PM.  
Another train runs from the Tobyhanna train station to Scranton on May 16.  The train is to bring people to town for the Armed Forces Day Parade in Downtown Scranton.  Part of the parade goes past the Mall, so you can get off the train, walk up the mall ramp, and view the parade from the street or the parking garage.  This train leaves Tobyhanna at 9:30, and arrives in Scranton a little before 11.  The return for Tobyhanna departs Scranton at 3:00.
Steamtown is selling the Jessup inbound train and Tobyhanna Army Depot is selling the tickets for the Tobyhanna inbound.  
All of our excursions are round trip.  

As you can guess, you don't need to take the train to take part in the festivities.  The train  is a part of the celebration.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Apr 26th, 2015, 9:46am »

The 2015 excursion season is now underway. The first train took place April 25 with an inbound trip to help celebrate the 150th birthday of the City of Scranton.  The train was lightly attended, but then so also was the rest of the celebration.  A small parade took place from Scranton's City Hall to the Mall at Steamtown where there was some entertainment.

Steamtown's excursion boarded at the Fireman's carnival grounds in Jessup, and ran the former D&H line to reach the Steamtown boarding platform.  I caught the train outside the Green Ridge yard in North Scranton.

The train was led by D-L's former Lehigh Valley unit number 405.  Two CNJ coaches were on the train.  A long cut of sand cars used in the gas fracking business north of Carbondale was passed on the left.  On the right are stored covered hoppers.  One of which is marked for Frito-Lay.  This car may have held potatoes at one time.

I took these shots from a walkway which crossed the tracks back when they were a busy part of the city.  Until 2000 or so, the track off the to right was used for spotting plastics cars for a company called Laminations, Inc.

A few others were also on the chase, or caught the train in one spot or another along the route.  If your camera captured the train, then you can post them here.  The next excursion is Saturday, May 9.  For National Train Day, we take the train to Carbondale.  Historic parts of the city will be open during the layover.  Here's to a great year!

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Jun 7th, 2015, 6:05pm »

Catching up... May 9 was the next excursion on the rails.  It was National Train Day, and the decision was made to run a special trip to Carbondale, PA.  Here we see some changes happening in Carbondale near the station area.  D.G. Nicholas is an auto parts company that has closed a few of their stores recently, and we see the sign coming down. Very often, the sign frames are re-sold since they are so durable, and the plastic signs there are rather inexpensive to make.  In the background, we see the new hotel, a Best Western that opened a few years ago.  

The locomotive for the excursion was supposed to be the 405, same as the previous train in April.  However, some braking issues with that led the crews to grab C425 2461, one of the original Erie Lackawanna units.  

Here, she is shoving the train to the run-around area, past the now 20 year old Pioneer City depot.

Back in position ready for the riders to re-board.  Since the train sits at an angle here, it makes for some very dramatic poses.

And throughout the day, 664 continued running the Scranton Limited trains.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Jun 7th, 2015, 6:10pm »

The next day, May 10 was Mother's Day.  2461 would pull an after-brunch train to Moscow that day.  I did not get a chance to shoot the train, but Kenny Ganz did get this image of the crew that worked the train before picking up passengers at the Radisson Hotel, the location of the brunch and the boarding location.

« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2015, 6:10pm by 565fan » Logged

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Jun 7th, 2015, 6:32pm »

The following Saturday, May 16, would be another special occasion.  An inbound train from Tobyhanna, PA to Scranton, ushering in a group of about 100 to watch and participate int he Armed Forces Day parade in Scranton.

C420, number 405 was back on duty for this train, and we see her involved in the run-around at Tobyhanna, getting in position for the trip to Scranton.

I thought the camera would have framed this better, but oh well.  The crew rides the pilot past my coach.

The red flags on this unit say GV, similar to the LV flags on sister unit 414.

Passengers nearly all on board, waiting for the highball West.

I
n Scranton, some of the scenes to be found on the parade route.

...and our train ready for the 3:00 departure for Tobyhanna.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Jun 7th, 2015, 6:40pm »

Next excursion on the list was the World War II Troop Train.  Running on May 23 from Scranton to Jessup, PA, we took a different locomotive, Duluth, Winnepeg & Pacific RS11 number 1804 lead this short train on the 10 mile or so trip.  I only caught a few images at the boarding platform.

It was nice that the trolley was at the station, too.  Scranton's only true "Union Station" after 160 years of hosting railroads  

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Jun 7th, 2015, 7:12pm »

Next up, the first "regular" excursion to Moscow, PA.  Still with no home power to operate the train, D-L lent us again the RS11 to tackle the Pocono grade this time.  

After just picking up the coaches, the crew gets ready for the word to back teh train to the boarding platform.

Rob Staely is the engineer on this train, and yes he is in the proper seat.  1804 is a long hood forward unit, so she would be backing up the line to Moscow.  

Now at the platform.  A cute little consist.

Okay, how about a different angle of the same train.

Off they go!  Passing the DL&W Scranton station, now the Radisson Hotel.

and along the campus of the University of Scranton.
Throughout the day, the Scranton Limited  kept doing what she does, and taking many of the same tracks.

This is the same train, the 2:30 run, now backing down the line. In the distance you can see some of the locomotive shop buildings.  

Here comes 1804 and the cars returning from Moscow, a little after 3:00.

The excursion for June 6 was scheduled to be a run to East Stroudsburg, but advance sales were poor, so the train had to be cancelled.  So far, it has been an interesting year for trains, and hopefully you have had a chance to chase or ride one or more.  If not, the summer season has just begun, and interesting things are in the works.  KEep your eye on this page, and post often.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Jun 25th, 2015, 5:31pm »

Back to the excursions as Spring is winding down.  These photos were from June 13's trip to Moscow.

D-L 2461 takes the lead again with today's train, shoving her cars west among some of the D-L's other units waiting to be assigned their own trains.

And here she is waiting at the boarding platform.  Almost time to go.

There's something kind of "mean" to having the high hood in the lead.  

I'm glad the daisy pickers left this patch of flowers alone so I could get this shot!

And there is some of that famous ALCO smoke !

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Jun 25th, 2015, 5:49pm »

The flowers are blooming and ushering us out of Spring.  The final excursion of the spring season on June 20 was also the first run to Gouldsboro, PA for the year.  

Our engineer for the Gouldsboro train is Aaron Stout.  I happened to catch him while inspecting 2461 before he went to pick up the train of cars.

No photos of the train pulling out today, but I did catch her arriving back in Scranton a little after 2:30 PM.  This is passing the Byron Center at the University of Scranton.

That's Bernie Gasper "firing" the diesel for the day.  

The boarding platform is about 4 blocks away, and another great excursion is in the books.  
This coming Saturday, June 27 we make our run to Delaware Water Gap for the Founder's Day festival.  Will you be on board?  Maybe chasing us?  Which locomotive will be available this time around?  We haven't seen 2452 on the trains, yet.  Maybe she is on deck.

« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2015, 5:50pm by 565fan » Logged

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Jun 28th, 2015, 10:37pm »

June 27, the train is going to Delaware Water Gap.  A light drizzle in the morning led to a day long rainfall.  No lightning to worry about, but it did keep the founder's Day festival to a low roar.  Here are a few photos I caught.

This is the train, C424 2403 with 4 CNJ cars and LV business car 353 on the end, pulling up to the boarding platform.

This one did not come out like I wanted because of the lights on the engine darkening the auto focus.  

Trainman Mike Rinkunas spots the train for boarding.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Jun 28th, 2015, 10:45pm »

LOL  It was a quick run to Delaware Water Gap.  Actually, it was not.  There were quite a few slow orders, so We arrived just before noon.
The toll bridge for Interstate 80 is actually quite a beautiful structure... underneath it all.  I waited to catch this view as the train pulled away from the station.

Passing me by...

I stayed at the station for the layover.  Busses shuttled people into the village to see what there is to see.  I stuck around to see this.  D-L's Portland(PA)-bound train coming through.

Once the D-L was in the clear at Slateford Junction, the Passenger train arrived for the return to Scranton.

I did not take any photos of the train in Scranton. I regret that now, but the rain told me I had taken enough.  

This coming weekend, we begin Saturday and Sunday trains.  Saturday is going to East Stroudsburg, and Sunday to Cresco.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #12 on: Jul 3rd, 2015, 12:15pm »

This is a bummer of a weekend, as the July 4 excursion from Scranton to East Stroudsburg and the July 5 excursion to Cresco have been cancelled to lack of advance sales.  

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #13 on: Oct 14th, 2015, 11:21am »

July 18 saw the train arrive in Gouldsboro, PA.  

The "Blue Boat" C424 2423 took the train for this trip.  The Roaring 20s is the theme at the Gouldsboro station.  Charleston lessons were free  These photos are by Kenny Ganz.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Oct 14th, 2015, 11:25am »

Sunday, July 19 saw another train getting ready for Moscow.  2423 was also placed on this train.

I took these at the boarding platform.  The trolley was also at the station.

It's a busy place at times.  The Scranton Limited also passed by while we were waiting for the excursion to board.

Mike Theriault was on the train crew, I think as engineer that day.  

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #15 on: Oct 14th, 2015, 11:52am »

Saturday, July 25 saw another ALCO on the point of the train.  2452 is another Erie Lackawanna heritage loco of the C425 variety.  This 10:15 photo shows her idling with the excursion consist along with F3 664 preparing the coaches for a day of Scranton Limiteds.

Some track repairs and switch work took place this summer, so I wanted to document it with the train passing by.  

And off to Moscow they roll.  

Now, for the return into Scranton.

There is that Trolley again.  LOL

Short trains were the rule of the summer this year.    Sales were not spectacular.  Mostly due to people waiting for a ride behind steam later in the year.  Photos of Nickel Plate 765 will be posted soon enough.

Back at the Steamtown platform.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #16 on: Oct 14th, 2015, 12:17pm »

July 26 was a run to Cresco, PA.  I was away from the tracks that day, so I do not have any photos to share.  So let's jump ahead to Saturday, August 1.  Moscow it is again!

2461 returns to the point of the train once more.  

Looking for a different angle on the line, I went to the crossing at South Washington Ave.  An earlier train would have come out better lit.  Not bad, though.

Now for a different angle on the return from Moscow.  Passing the 1908 railroad station.

For Sunday, August 2nd's excursion to Tobyhanna, the train had both EL units take the lead.  This is my shot of the train before heading to the boarding platform.

The next two are taken by Kenny Ganz.  

« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2015, 12:19pm by 565fan » Logged

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #17 on: Oct 14th, 2015, 12:47pm »

Saturday, August 8, we made our first excursion to stop in Dickson City, PA.  Only a few miles away from the Steamtown yard.  They had a craft fair waiting for us at the preserved Delaware & Hudson freight depot.

The train would go to The recycling center, being dubbed "Marvine Gardens" by the Erie Lackawanna Dining Car Preservation Society as their new home.  The lack of a run-around requires 2 locomotives.  Once again, 2461 and 2452 are up to the task.

I know these marker lamps.  Andy Ottinger is conductor for this excursion.

Arrival at Dickson City.

One of the craft booths.

The train is getting back in position for the reboarding.  There was actually plenty of time to spend in town.

This D&H caboose may be faded, but her markings are authentic.

Another great day to take the train.

Sunday August 9 was another run to Moscow.  I was only able to get early in the day preparation shots for this run.

Engineer Dick Roden, left and Fireman Dr. Marty Hyzinski, check on the unit before firing up.
2461 seems to be on the excursions more than most so far this year.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #18 on: Oct 14th, 2015, 1:04pm »

Saturday, August 15.  Another day, another excursion.  ANOTHER D-L Alco!  Lehigh Valley 414 made her excursion debut with this train.  This was the Jazz Festival weekend in Scranton, so I wanted to show how the train integrates with the event.

There goes that trolley again!  Side by side with 414, which is a C420.

Engineer Aaron Stout and fireman Tom Skrutski take the lead today.

A big nose requires a big flag, I always say!

Here she comes around the bend, passing the tents and the train shed of the Radisson Hotel.  Radisson hosts the key performers of the Festival.  4 or 5 other venues also take part.  The Hilton also hosts some jazz greats too.

Off to Moscow!

On the 16th of August, a different locomotive took the train,  2461, I believe.  That was also the Lackawanna & Wyoming Valley Chapter's annual picnic in Moscow.  I have no photos of that train.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #19 on: Oct 14th, 2015, 1:42pm »

Okay, now.  So, it's Saturday, August 22, and our partners with the Lackawanna Heritage Valley Authority chartered a train to Carbondale, PA for their summer festival.  This was our first sell-out of the year.  Tickets were $5.00 per adult.  Less for seniors and children.

2403 returns to the rails for this train.  Perhaps to add to the saying, "How green was my valley?"  The LHVA also maintains the trail along the Lackawanna River Valley, which is made up mostly of the right of way from the CNJ and the NYO&W.

Many interesting characters rode the train, and promoted their group affiliation, too.  

These Victorian Ladies are regular riders on the Carbondale trains.

Waiting for that train.
Here she comes.

All aboard!

Backing through the yard to get on the Diamond branch and Strawberry Hill connector.  

I wanted to get a shot of the train passing the Intermodal Transportation Center construction, but it was taking so long, I had to be on a tour at 10:30.  Maybe next year.

Train is returning to Scranton.  I catch it about to cross Olive Street.

Now it climbs the steep Strawberry Hill.  This was the Passenger line to leave the mainline and reach the D&H station at one time.

And back to the platform you go.  Have a great evening, everyone!

www.project3713.com

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »