Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 25th, 2017, 7:59pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Railfest 2012
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Steamtown
(Moderators: NKP759fan, strasburg90)
   Railfest 2012
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Railfest 2012  (Read 2172 times)
565fan
Historian
Re: Railfest 2012

« Reply #40 on: Sep 26th, 2012, 9:12am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Lego trains added to the action, and color of RailFest.

Hansel and Gretel now have a choice of where to stop when they are lost.  The candy house with the witch, an RV or a beach house.  

Boy, are those GG1s fast!

Now onto Amtrak!  It is tough to beat the 40th Anniversary train that wheeled into town last year, but some newer, longer cars were on display.  The long train meant the locomotive had to hide in the trees.

This diner is converted from a 20 year old Viewliner sleeper.  Very nice, airy place to eat in.

Maintenance of Way was explained with the tools of the trade outside the Roundhouse.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #41 on: Sep 26th, 2012, 9:23am »

Getting ready for some steam action at the turntable.

Turn turn turn!

Almost about time to leave the roundhouse area.  Just a few inches to go.

Here we have three trains idling away, and waiting for the chance to do their thing. From the left, 514 is on the Caboose Experience, The Lackawanna F3s are on the Scranton Limited and 3254 is on the Moscow Excursion.

The Limited is on the move, with two different types of Lackawanna coaches.  An MU trailer and a Wyatt Earp coach.

Sometimes a steam engine just does not have the allure you think it does.  

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #42 on: Sep 26th, 2012, 9:48am »

Next up is a limited access tour to the Locomotive Shop.  Various wheel demonstrations will take place here.

Walter explains the vertical boring mill.  It is used to hone down the tire's internal circumference to fit the cast steel wheels.

The next demonstration is the sweating operation, where a tire is lit on fire so it can separate from the wheel.

Since it is just for show, the crews don't let the tire get hot enough to remove. Here, the flame is cooling down.

Big Mike demonstrates the horizontal wheel lathe.  Used at times to profile the wheels and some other times on the axles.

The final part of the demo is the wheel press. A wheel was taken off its axle during this visit.

After this, I had to catch a train.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #43 on: Sep 26th, 2012, 10:06am »

One of the many special events for RailFest is the photo runby in Moscow.  390 people rode the train that day to get these images.  The sun was not cooperating.

Here she comes...

There she goes...

Now for the pleasant ride home.  All summer long, the Saturday excursions were harassed by ATV riders.  Some even riding under the train!!!!  Since it was Sunday, no one was out.  Perhaps they were all in church.

www.project3713.com

Max Hamberger
Railfan

« Reply #44 on: Sep 26th, 2012, 4:48pm »

Excellent photos, Tim! Always a good show. ATV riders riding UNDER the train?! Do tell!

Best,
Maxwell Hamberger
Montana State University
School of Film & Photography
Class of 2015
565fan
Historian

« Reply #45 on: Sep 27th, 2012, 9:20pm »

It was wacky, Max! On July 7, the first steam excursion of the season, as the train was returning to Scranton, three people had their ATVs out.  We think it was a father and two daughters under 10.  They were riding the ballast  while the train was rolling.  This was near the Dunmore/Roaring Brook border.  Kind of a no-man's land.  The ballast is high at this point and at a steep angle. I wasn't there, but people told me the girls cursed the train and gave the people on board the finger when the train came to a stop. This was so they didn't get hit by the train.  The father sped off into the woods.  Nice family.

Someone on the train took photos of the the kids who were off the bikes by then. Ever since, the lead ranger has taken a camera to get photos of those involved.  These pictures are then given over to Dunmore and Roaring Brook police. D-L police are involved, too.  Every Saturday, there are some on the line, but I don't know if they are the same people.  

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #46 on: Sep 27th, 2012, 9:47pm »

My last batch.  The Caboose Experience was still running when we came back to Scranton.

Amtrak closed up shop around 2:30.  A big part of RailFest the last few years is watching their train cross the turntable and roll through the Roundhouse and Loco shop to prepare for their departure on Monday.  
I caught the units arranging the private cars near the Trolley Museum.

Since the "Wisconsin" was the tail end on the inbound trip, NYC 3 "Portland" will be the tail on the return.

LOL  A tail end on the tail end.

Squeezing by is 3254. Pushing the cars onto the storage track before going to the turntable.

The private cars are stowed by the mall siding, now to get the other Amtrak cars to add to the consist.

3254's last bit of attention before bedtime.

NS 4271 pleases the crowds as she steps on the table.

Off the table now, 4271 connects with the NS Exhibit Car to take to the runaround track, and mate up with the other NS units

As we can see, Amtrak has the cars, and is joined by a D-L freight coming in from Pocono Summit.

At 6:00, the final moves were made.  Canadian Pacific and Reading & Northern tie up on the turntable for a Christmas scene.  Red and green.

Thus ends a very successful RailFest.  I hear that 9,000 or so people visited the park.  381 took the Saturday excursion and 390 rode on Sunday.  I don't remember ridership numbers on the other trains, but it was a very active, fun event.  I hope to see some or all of you at future Fests  

www.project3713.com

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »