Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 20th, 2017, 4:39am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Railfest 2012
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Steamtown
(Moderators: NKP759fan, strasburg90)
   Railfest 2012
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Railfest 2012  (Read 2176 times)
njmidland
Chaser
Re: Railfest 2012

« Reply #20 on: Jun 26th, 2012, 10:11am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

There will be a train to the Railfest on Saturday, September 1st.  It will originate at the Delaware Water Gap station and make stops at East Stroudsburg and Cresco.  Here is a link for more info and to buy tickets: http://www.eldcps.org/store/LaFesta-Railfest-2012-09-01.html

Tim
565fan
Historian

« Reply #21 on: Jun 26th, 2012, 4:41pm »

Very cool!  and a good price, too.  I'm sure it will be a sell-out

www.project3713.com

OCtrainguy
Chaser
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #22 on: Aug 13th, 2012, 9:47am »

And now we're about 3 1/2 weeks to Railfest.  I've been checking the Steamtown website for updates.  

It seems Amtrak will be present with another nice mix of equipment and some private cars.  

NS will be present with one F7A, the exhibit car, a switcher and a SD60E?  A heritage engine would be great, but they're participating nonetheless.  And of course the Reading FP7s and the DL&W F3As in addition to Steamtown's Nickel Plate GP9 and the CN 3254.

For train rides, I know there's the excursion by the Erie Lackawanna Dining Car Preservation Society from Delaware Water Gap and back.  I am guessing that will be DL power?   They also state train rides to Moscow on Saturday and Sunday but don't indicate if it will be steam both days or steam one day and diesel the other.  Does anyone know?

565fan
Historian

« Reply #23 on: Aug 14th, 2012, 9:18pm »

Hi, OC  Both Moscow trains will be steam this year.  There will still be a photo runby at Moscow station.  514 will haul the Caboose Experience.  The Lackawanna Fs will haul the Scranton Ltd.  D-L Power will host the ELDCPS train, but I have not heard which ones.  It could be any combination of their power.

www.project3713.com

OCtrainguy
Chaser
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #24 on: Aug 16th, 2012, 9:42am »

on Aug 14th, 2012, 9:18pm, 565fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi, OC  Both Moscow trains will be steam this year.  There will still be a photo runby at Moscow station.  514 will haul the Caboose Experience.  The Lackawanna Fs will haul the Scranton Ltd.  D-L Power will host the ELDCPS train, but I have not heard which ones.  It could be any combination of their power.

Thanks for the information.  Any DL power is good power to me.  The RS3s handled a similar train a few years ago.  And it's good that the steam engine is handling both trips to Moscow.

njmidland
Chaser

« Reply #25 on: Aug 23rd, 2012, 2:11pm »

ELDCPS train from DWG and ES has 4 seats left from East Stroudsburg.  After they are gone we are sold out.

Here is a link for more info and to buy tickets: http://www.eldcps.org/store/LaFesta-Railfest-2012-09-01.html

Tim
The_Former_Fireman
Railfan
  2461.jpg - 39966 Bytes
« Reply #26 on: Aug 23rd, 2012, 2:23pm »

We'll have authentic EL power for an ELDCPS train pending any last minute changes.  I have requested and been approved to use the two grey and maroon centuries for this trip!

Dave Crosby, Director of Passenger Operations
GVT Rail System.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Steamtown/2461.jpg
Click Image to Resize

565fan
Historian

« Reply #27 on: Aug 31st, 2012, 12:11am »

Promotion of the 2012 RailFest has begun!  This billboard sits along the old DL&W Liggett's Gap line in the North side of town.  It went up last week as a donation from Lamar Advertising to the event.  

It is neat that it can be seen from both Main Ave. and the McDade Expressway.  Billboard people charge on a cost per million (CPM), and with the double whammy of people seeing the sign, it is not an easy space for them to part with.  I hope it does the trick and brings many new visitors to the event and the site!

www.project3713.com

koasterkidd
Enthusiast
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #28 on: Sep 3rd, 2012, 2:32pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrj7IRL9cJ8
Well, here's my video of how 3254 performed on the excursion

565fan
Historian

« Reply #29 on: Sep 13th, 2012, 10:38pm »

Excellent video, koasterkidd!
Unlike past years, I was not able to post day by day photos of the RailFest in progress.    I either forgot the camera at work, or had stuff going on after work to prevent the uploads.  So now I am playing catch-up.

Thursday, Aug 30 saw the first placement of equipment on display for RailFest.  New Haven Trap Rock 43 was put on a Roundhouse lead track for Scranton Limited riders to view as they boarded their train.  

Meanwhile, Groveton Papers 2-4-2T no. 7 gets a bath in preparation for her own display at the Fest.  This would be her first "big time" appearance, since most of the past decade she was parked out in the yard.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #30 on: Sep 13th, 2012, 11:01pm »

Now on Friday, the 31st of August, train crews gear up for a busy 12 hour day of moving equipment around.  Norfolk Southern equipment was at the west end of the yard, but other tracks had to be cleared out first.  The Reading pair were the first to go.

Since the FP7s don't move on their own these days, the Nickel Plate 514 came out to gather up the pieces. She is pushing the Fs into the line of freight cars on the parking lot track.

Protecting the crossings.  No one wants to arrive at a railroad just in time to collide with a freight train.

Just a little bit more.

Now it is time to pull forward, clearing the track for Amtrak's arrival.

Over the turntable, to the roundhouse, through the shop and the east end of the yard.

Cool view of the top of a Geep and the nose of an F.

A D&H boxcar, and the coal load of one of the DL&W hoppers.

... and a Lehigh Valley caboose in the rear.  

A freight on the move, going through a steam era roundhouse.  More to come.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #31 on: Sep 13th, 2012, 11:15pm »

A vitally important part of RailFest is the sound system, which is being set up on Friday.  

Norfolk Southern's first piece to come into the roundhouse area was this GP59 promoting Operation Lifesaver.

NHTR no. 43 was moved again to this area near the History Museum, keeping company with the LNE caboose.

Cleaning up the grease and dirt from the entrance track.  This will be an open area for the fest.]

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #32 on: Sep 13th, 2012, 11:24pm »

After lunch, the Canadian Pacific Railway's contribution, a rebuilt GP9 entered the turntable area.  Pulled by the track mobile and pushed by 514.

Another Railfan.net contributor came in with the unit

NS is on the move again; measurements of lengths and side space showed that she would fit better on the other side of the turntable.

Reading & Northern 802 joined the fray, and had her own turn on the table.

If there was a "theme" to the RailFest this year, it was the year of the switcher or yard engine.  Steam tank engines, end cab diesel switchers and low horsepower units dominated the field of display units. Here is RBMN 802 alongside DL&W 426.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #33 on: Sep 13th, 2012, 11:29pm »

Of course, not every piece was a switcher.  Heavy duty 4-8-4 no 2124 was placed on display on the north side of the museum.  

514 had quite a job to do in pushing her up that light incline.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #34 on: Sep 14th, 2012, 10:10pm »

It's after 5 now, and the Norfolk Southern's other equipment is being put in place around the turntable.  

First is executive F9 no 4271 approaching the turntable.

The late afternoon sun provided better lighting for rail subjects than high noon.

Smile for the camera!

Backing into position; SD60 is getting ready for her move on the table.

Black and white and red all over.  

The arrangement is getting nicer.

802 is moving again, back on the turntable to take position outside the roundhouse.

Perhaps Steamtown's oldest gasoline powered engine.  Ford Bronco hi-railer.

side by side with the trackmobile.

And freshly restored track speeder.

It seems every other year the NS Exhibit car makes an appearance at RailFest.

Wondering where the freight train from earlier in the day went?  Wonder no more.  It was placed in the yard near the mall ramp.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #35 on: Sep 14th, 2012, 10:18pm »

Not long after 6, Amtrak's train arrived in Scranton.  Pushing off the Canadian Pacific and over Bridge 60, the train shoves east.  Observation car "Wisconsin" from the Milwaukee Road is used as a caboose.

Two heritage painted units were on the train.  F40PH 406 is in a modified version of Phase III, whereas no 156 wears the Phase I colors.

Friday is ending, and time now to rest up for Saturday.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #36 on: Sep 14th, 2012, 10:34pm »

Just arriving at the park on Saturday, and it looks a lot like any other day.

But then again, the RailFest has not really begun yet.
Little by little, the park wakes up.  Vital to the operation is a central communications area, staffed by Michele.

3254 leaves the roundhouse to sit on the turntable while the speeches take place.

John Hart, one of the organizers of the Civil War reenactors group, was recipient of the Alan Sweeney award presented by the Lackawanna Historical Society.

Railfans everywhere.

An unusual view from the coach of the Scranton Limited train.

514 on the Caboose Experience train.

Delaware-Lackawanna chose to exhibit several locomotives and this Keyser Valley caboose in the State office building's lot.  We were running out of display space!

Old and older blended everywhere you looked that day.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #37 on: Sep 14th, 2012, 10:41pm »

I was assigned to Big Boy duty that day.  These are the first group of people to get on board.

Some of the early folks to sit in the cab of the world's largest steam locomotive.  In the fireman's seat.

And as the engineer...

Big Big Boy!

www.project3713.com

bluecapriethan
Railfan

« Reply #38 on: Sep 18th, 2012, 11:54pm »

Great photos and a super collection of stuff there. One of these days I'll get up there again! You mention that the Reading FP7's don't run. What's the deal with them?

565fan
Historian

« Reply #39 on: Sep 26th, 2012, 8:58am »

on Sep 18th, 2012, 11:54pm, bluecapriethan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
You mention that the Reading FP7's don't run. What's the deal with them?

Mechanically, they need a 92 day inspection.  That was supposed to be completed in the Spring of 2011, but never done.  I won't go into any details of the agreements that the Philadelphia Chapter and the Reading Co. T&HS has with the National Park Service, because I don't know what they are.  The FPs are in no danger at Steamtown, but are expected to leave sometime in the near future. It was nice to have them around for another RailFest.  

RailFest is more than just railroad displays.  Models and interactive exhibits help to fill out the fun.

A 1938 O scale model of the B&O's Royal Blue was on display for the fest, along with some reproduction China in the display case.

Very nice touch to the train is the level of detailing inside. Each car had a different seating arrangement, from coach to diner to lounge.

www.project3713.com

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »