Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 16th, 2017, 3:54pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Steamtown 2012 Excursions
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Steamtown
(Moderators: NKP759fan, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Steamtown 2012 Excursions  (Read 1388 times)
565fan
Historian

« on: Nov 15th, 2011, 3:34pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

http://www.nps.gov/stea/planyourvisit/upload/2012-Excursion-Schedule-14-nov-11.pdf
Just added to the website today.  Of course, this early in the season proposed season, it is pretty sparse.  There may be a few gems thrown in for good measure as the year plays out.  
The good news is that Bells Bridge is back in use, and the Delaware Water Gap excursions are on again in late June.
Discuss...

www.project3713.com

Brian Tusin
Historian
Re: Steamtown 2012 Excursions

« Reply #1 on: Nov 21st, 2011, 5:23pm »

Is the Water Gap trip going to be pulled by the 3254?  I would really like to ride that excursion, but there is no point if it is being pulled by diesels.

565fan
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Feb 4th, 2012, 10:47pm »

As predicted in November, a few more trains have been added to the schedule.  An extra to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of Tobyhanna Army Depot makes for a bonus run to that station.
The Lackawanna F3s are being repaired in preparation for a run to East Stroudsburg for Memorial Day Weekend on May 26. No. 664 is getting a massive re-wiring.  I would not expect the B-unit out this season, but miracles have happened before.
On June 9, a "Civil War" train is going to run on the ex-D&H line to Carbondale.  I don't know any details, but the prices are the same as a Moscow run.

More trips may be added.  It's becoming a very exciting season already.

www.project3713.com

Brian Tusin
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Feb 4th, 2012, 11:11pm »

http://www.nps.gov/stea/upload/2012-Excursion-Schedule-29-jan-12.pdf

Well, I am not surprised to see that steam is only going to Moscow this year.  It is sad as Steamtown does have one of the best excursion routes out of any tourist railroad.  I was hoping steam would be on the Water Gap trip, but it is going to be diesel powered.  So much for going to Steamtown this year.    

Max Hamberger
Railfan

« Reply #4 on: Feb 8th, 2012, 12:14pm »

Let's pose the following question for the "no steam past Moscow" gripe...would you rather see the 3254 run a little less often for longer, or would you rather use her more and use up her flue time faster, quite possibly before 3713 is completed? They're trying to strike a balance between keeping their mainline steam operations going now, and having the resources to run them later. Be happy they're running her.

Best,
Maxwell Hamberger
Montana State University
School of Film & Photography
Class of 2015
Brian Tusin
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Feb 8th, 2012, 5:20pm »

Then does that mean they are not using the 3254 in the yard on the 6 days that are using the F3's?  If so I would agree with you, but last year they ran the 3254 in the yard while the F3's or the NKP geep pulled an excursion.  I really don't see six days being that much of a difference in flue time on the big picture.  How much flue time does the 3254 have left?  It has to be getting some what close to running out of time.  If the 3254 is running out of time, why don't they cut out some days steam runs in the yard?  Running a big mikado in the yard like the 3254 really does not seem to be the best use of the engine.

All I am saying is it is called STEAMtown.  When I go there to ride an excursion, I expect to ride behind a steam engine.  I understand steam engines do break down and require a ton of time and money to mantain, so they are not always running.  Steamtown is the only place that does operate mainline steam many times a year.  I just don't see how 6 days makes much of a difference.  I also understand Steamtown is not Strasburg and they don't 4 operable steam engines to choose from.

« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2012, 5:22pm by Brian Tusin » Logged
restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Feb 8th, 2012, 9:02pm »

on Feb 8th, 2012, 5:20pm, Brian Tusin wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Then does that mean they are not using the 3254 in the yard on the 6 days that are using the F3's?  If so I would agree with you, but last year they ran the 3254 in the yard while the F3's or the NKP geep pulled an excursion.  I really don't see six days being that much of a difference in flue time on the big picture.  How much flue time does the 3254 have left?  It has to be getting some what close to running out of time.  If the 3254 is running out of time, why don't they cut out some days steam runs in the yard?  Running a big mikado in the yard like the 3254 really does not seem to be the best use of the engine.

All I am saying is it is called STEAMtown.  When I go there to ride an excursion, I expect to ride behind a steam engine.  I understand steam engines do break down and require a ton of time and money to mantain, so they are not always running.  Steamtown is the only place that does operate mainline steam many times a year.  I just don't see how 6 days makes much of a difference.  I also understand Steamtown is not Strasburg and they don't 4 operable steam engines to choose from.

I never thought I'd be saying this, because I argued against it once, but it has to be said.  The primary mission of Steamtown is to demonstrate railroading in the NE, not run excursions.  Despite what the foamers want, if it comes down to using 3254 in the yard on a daily basis, where the average visitor will get to experience her, or use her out on the main where only hardcore fans willing to spend $30-$40 on a ticket will get to experience her, they'll keep her in the yard 9/10 times, at least until 26 is done.  That is something we'll all have to live with until the other engines are done.

Since you brought up Strasburg, I will also mention this.  Strasburg is a heritage railroad.  They operate for profit and are able to slack on the historical aspect.  Steamtown is a museum.  More specifically, it is a federal museum.  As was explained to me on a shop tour, they can't work for profit like Strasburg or TVRM can, despite having easily the best shop on the east coast, if not the country.  Steamtown honestly makes most of their money from museum tickets and the yard shuttles, so they are inclined to keep the steam close to home.  That being said, being a museum and being all about the history, they have some pretty cool piece.  663 and 664 are the oldest F3s in the country, and 902 and 903 are legit Reading units.  While they're not as cool as steam, they are still pretty awesome.  

Final note, while Strasburg has more steam, Steamtown has more line.  Strasburg has a 4 mile round trip.  Steamtown has anywhere from 12 miles round trip to 55 miles round trip.  That is all.

565fan
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Feb 8th, 2012, 11:20pm »

Very good points each of you bring to the discussion.  
I am happy that we have the concern of the park's mission and the visitors in mind.  The main thing at the moment is to get the visitors interested in steam, and that means the yard trains because that requires little if any effort  for the casual visitor to find time to take that ride.  
When two locomotives are available, more train options are available.  The park staff is just caught with too many trains/ not enough steam to keep everyone happy.  

The good news is that once Baldwin 26 is running, she won't be out of service very often.  The same holds true for Boston & Maine 3713.  They are getting once-in-a-lifetime firebox repairs. Big stuff, along with all the other stuff that they have found needs repairs.  When 2317 and 3254 are down for their 1472 day inspections, it won't be nearly as time-consuming because a lot of repairs are already finished on these two.  There may actually come a day when steam will run more days than the current schedule.  We also need visitors to make it worth our while. To keep them coming back we can't just offer a ride.  We need to offer an experience they would want to take over and over.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Jun 8th, 2012, 12:11am »

The first excursion of the season will take place this coming Saturday, June 9.
It will be a Civil War themed train with a gentleman dressed as President Lincoln, traveling with others dressed in period clothes.  The train starts at Steamtown at 10 AM heading to Carbondale.  Speeches will be delivered both there and in Jessup by "Mr. Lincoln."  If you plan to chase the train, please add your photos here.

To update the thread from last February, the first scheduled excursion, which was supposed to run to East Stroudsburg with the Lackawanna F3s on May 26th, was cancelled two weeks before departure due to low advance sales. The Civil War train is sold out.

A special Centennial train will take place on June 23 going to Tobyhanna, with a festival at the Tobyhanna Army Depot that day.  Passengers will be bussed to the Depot for the event.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Jun 20th, 2012, 11:21am »

Here are some photos I was able to take of the Civil War train.  Two of the four cars on the train were occupied by the re-enactors.  Nice turnout of ladies and gentlemen.

A Civil War era band performed at the boarding platform before the train's arrival.

The "super-elevated" curve in Carbondale at the Pioneer City station.

514 led the train, Lehigh Valley 353 hosted President Lincoln and his generals.

A rousing speech by the 16th President.

Not a detail was missed by the Civil War staff.  This color guard added a lot to the experience.
This coming Saturday is the Tobyhanna Army Depot Centennial train.  If you ride or chase, please post your pics here  

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Jul 8th, 2012, 7:27pm »

Another train will be running, but it is not added to the Steamtown schedule.  This is the return of the Heritage Explorer which will take riders from Scranton to Carbondale for the Pioneer Festival.  Tickets are only sold locally through Lackawanna County Library system.  Here is a link to the website of library branches.  http://www.lclshome.org/member_libraries.php
Ticket prices are usually very reasonable.
The Lackawanna Fs will most likely power this train. 514 will be on the Scranton Ltd that day, while 3254 hauls the Moscow excursion.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Aug 14th, 2012, 9:21pm »

This is a big Saturday coming up.  The Lackawanna Fs will take the train to Carbondale, 3254 to Moscow and 514 will run on the Scranton Limited.  Plenty of trains to see, chase, etc.  I hope some of you can attend.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #12 on: Sep 27th, 2012, 9:53pm »

October is nearly here.  Along with the blazing colors of the leaves, CN black will haul CNJ and DL&W green coaches through the mountains of Northeastern Pennsylvania each Saturday and Sunday of the month.  Well, maybe not every Saturday and Sunday  
DL&W F3s are planned to take the Sunday Oct 7 Great Gatsby Express to Gouldsboro and Tobyhanna.  They will also lead an express train to Tobyhanna on Saturday the 20th.  
All Moscow trains will have steam.  Tickets for most trains are still available.

www.project3713.com

Frank_D
Historian
  12-10-07-0032cr-.jpg - 115464 Bytes
« Reply #13 on: Oct 8th, 2012, 1:40pm »

Lackawanna 664-663 yesterday morning at Nay Aug tunnel.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Steamtown/12-10-07-0032cr-.jpg
Click Image to Resize

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

160.jpg - 111468 Bytes
« Reply #14 on: Nov 5th, 2012, 3:09pm »

* Excursion 10-07-2012. This happned a few weeks ago. My son was riding in the cab. The Great Gatispe fan trip. In this picture the DL&W F3As approach CN Mikado#3254. His online name is E Paw.
 toptrain1

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Steamtown/160.jpg
Click Image to Resize

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

161.jpg - 113238 Bytes
« Reply #15 on: Nov 5th, 2012, 3:11pm »

* second photo same trip. Passing waves to fireman on 3254. EPaw photo.
toptrain1

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Steamtown/161.jpg
Click Image to Resize

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
565fan
Historian

« Reply #16 on: Nov 5th, 2012, 10:01pm »

Great photos, Toptrain and FrankD!
No surprise the fall foliage season has ended, and right after Thanksgiving, we will see 3254 run five times up the line for Holiday trains.  
On November 23, 24 and December 1, the runs will go to "Santa's Station" in Moscow with the Holiday Express This is the traditional run where the Lackawanna & Wyoming Valley Chapter offers goodies for sale, Santa meets with everyone and the Steamtown staff reads stories and sings songs with the passengers.
The two Sundays, November 25 and December 2, The trains will run to Gouldsboro, and the Gouldsboro Historical Society will have a "Homefront Holiday" recreating a 1940s Christmas time in November and a Dickens Christmas in December.  
All tickets are sold out, but no one is stopping you from a chase.  If you take any good photos, don't forget your friends on Railfan.net!  Happy Holidays  

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #17 on: Nov 26th, 2012, 10:56pm »

3254 is boarding her passengers on Sunday, November 25 for the Pocono Holiday Limited run to Gouldsboro.  I thought enough to snap this image of her before I boarded.

At that moment, the trolley headed out with their Santa Trolley ride.  I think this is my first photo with them both in the shot.

There was a lot of train action to be seen while we were in Gouldsboro, but my camera was not with me.  I took my next photo when the train returned in Scranton

Yessir!  Time to put these cars back where we found them.

www.project3713.com

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #18 on: Nov 29th, 2012, 10:41am »

Great photos, everyone.......thanks for sharing them with us!!

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

565fan
Historian

« Reply #19 on: Feb 21st, 2013, 11:45pm »

Some of the Christmas Trains that ran back in November and December that I am finally getting around to posting here.  This is the Moscow Holiday Express which ran on December 1.  I was not on the chase, so this is the only location I "caught" 3254.

And Awaaayyy She goes!

www.project3713.com

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »