Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 13th, 2017, 6:21am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Steamtown's turntable Out of Service
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Steamtown
(Moderators: NKP759fan, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Steamtown's turntable Out of Service  (Read 485 times)
OCtrainguy
Chaser
View Profile   WWW  

« on: Aug 15th, 2011, 2:23pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I was on Steamtown's website checking on any updates to Railfest and I noticed the following information posted on their main page:    

"Operations Change/Turntable
The turntable is out of service for a major repair until further notice. Scheduled train rides will operate with diesel locomotives, as noted on our Guided Tours page, until the repairs are complete. "

http://www.nps.gov/stea/index.htm

The trip to Moscow this Saturday (8/20) and next Saturday (8/27) to Tobyhanna are currently scheduled to be pulled by the steam engine.  I guess that will depend on when the work on the turntable is done.

Max Hamberger
Railfan
Re: Steamtown's turntable Out of Service

« Reply #1 on: Aug 15th, 2011, 4:17pm »

Hmmmmmm, I wonder what could be wrong with it? If I recall correctly, I believe it has operated without major mishap since its installation in 199(3?)...could be wrong though.

Best,
Maxwell Hamberger
Montana State University
School of Film & Photography
Class of 2015
bigjim4life
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Aug 15th, 2011, 4:38pm »

Also, from what I see on the "Guided Tours" page, they are still offering Locomotive Cab Rides on other Scranton Limited trips - and not all of them are marked as "diesel" - so I'm assuming that the Limited will still be pulled by steam.  Just in reverse.  Perhaps?

565fan
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Aug 15th, 2011, 11:01pm »

With the turntable out of service, that means that both CN 3254 and Nickel Plate 514 are landlocked in the roundhouse.  Not only did an electrical short kick out the electric motors, but also the electric locking device the turntable uses to stabilize itself when the trains run on and off her.  
On Sunday, Aug. 14, the F3 duo led the train, although only 664 was fired up.  Today, Aug. 15 the 664 ran solo with the 2 cars on the Scranton Limited.  
The down time is also for painting the turntable, and some of that took place today.  Just a reminder, "until further notice" could mean any time.  If the table can run, it will be used on Tuesday the 16th without notice.  I don't know what is involved, but it is still possible that cab rides will be available this coming Thursday, and steam might still haul the Moscow excursion on the 20th.

www.project3713.com

montclaire
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Aug 19th, 2011, 1:54pm »

3254 was on the turntable about 20 mins ago, so I am assuming that it is once again operable.

565fan
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Aug 19th, 2011, 3:16pm »

How embarrassing! I didn't even hear the steam engine. Yes, the turntable is back in running order again. 514 will be on the Scranton Limited trains on Saturday, 3254 will run to Moscow and the Lackawanna Fs, 663 & 664 will lead a train to Carbondale.

www.project3713.com

OCtrainguy
Chaser
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #6 on: Aug 19th, 2011, 11:18pm »

Glad to hear the turntable has been repaired.  Looking forward to me trip up there in a few weeks.

SouthBendModel34
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Oct 23rd, 2014, 6:57pm »

Steamtown's turntable is out of service again, as of Mid-September 2014.  This time it looks to be an improvement project.  They've removed the rails and ties. I was told by the docent that they are adding better walkways and better handrails so that visitors can actually ride the turntable.

Don't laugh! The RR Museum in Spencer NC offers turntable rides for $2 per person. It is popular and must be a fairly good revenue stream.  I've done it myself, and there must have been over 50 other riders aboard. The kids present thought it was "awesome".

John Ruth  

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Jan 9th, 2016, 7:13pm »

well if you look at some of the last photos of #26 you'll see a working turntable.
 frank

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »