Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 25th, 2017, 12:02am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Railfest 2011
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Steamtown
(Moderators: NKP759fan, strasburg90)
   Railfest 2011
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Railfest 2011  (Read 1256 times)
565fan
Historian
Railfest 2011

« on: May 3rd, 2011, 10:39pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

The posters are up at the park to promote this Labor Day weekend event, so we might as well start some chatter on the topic here, too.

The annual event will take place September 3 and 4.  Highlights will be a tribute to Amtrak's 40th anniversary.  One of the Anniversary Specials will be visiting the park.  It is also the 25th anniversary of the passing of the enacting legislation of the park (Oct 30, 1986).  This law created Steamtown as a unit of the NPS. 125 years since the start of Scranton electric trolley service is also marked during the event.
Of the planned activities already in the works are excursions to Moscow, PA at 11 each day. CN 3254 will lead the Sunday excursion and one of the diesel sets will lead the Saturday excursion. No word yet on visiting equipment, but the CNJ RS3 no. 1554 being restored, I'm sure it will be a crowd pleaser.  Perhaps Lehigh Valley C420 no. 414 will show up, too.  One never knows with this selection of power that is already in the area.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian
Re: Railfest 2011

« Reply #1 on: Jun 9th, 2011, 10:27pm »

The Steamtown excursion schedule has been updated again for the Railfest trains.  
The trains going to Moscow, PA will be leaving Sept 3 and 4 at 1:00 PM.  This will allow different trains from needing the boarding platform at the same time each day.  More details on what this means will be revealed as time allows.

News heard tonight is that the North Shore Railroad, located in Northumberland, PA is restoring a caboose.  They plan to show off the results at RailFest 2011 in Scranton.  This will be their first involvement with the event.  

Norfolk Southern Railway plans to bring 3 locomotives.  I haven't heard which ones.  Good times in the works.

www.project3713.com

restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Jun 10th, 2011, 6:25pm »

on Jun 9th, 2011, 10:27pm, 565fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Norfolk Southern Railway plans to bring 3 locomotives.  I haven't heard which ones.  Good times in the works.

Maybe one of them is SOU 630  

lol doubtful, but would still be pretty cool

565fan
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Jul 10th, 2011, 10:18pm »

A little more information is coming out about Railfest activities for 2011.  
Since most of the outdoor activities kept people away from the oral presentations in the theater, there won't be any guest speakers in the theater.  
There will be live demonstrations of the recently restored wheel press and boring mills in the locomotive shop, along with demos of the wheel lathe.  
A live iron pour will take place periodically on the east end of the shop outside tracks 1 and 2.  
Tours of the restored Mattes St. tower will be led a few times during the weekend too.  
With train activity, this will make for a very active weekend at the town of steam.

www.project3713.com

OCtrainguy
Chaser
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #4 on: Jul 11th, 2011, 9:32am »

I have made plans to be in Scranton for the first part of the weekend.  I can't committ to the second part yet as my son's soccer team may be in a soccer tournament that Sunday.  I am looking forward to it.  

I saw some information about Railfest 2011 in the July Railpace and they refer to some of the information Steamtown has released as well as the trips from Bethelem.  I haven't seen anything on Steamtown's website about that.  Looking forward to going and the Mattes Street Tower being open.

565fan
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Jul 11th, 2011, 11:18pm »

Hi OC.  Apparently a few details need to be worked out before the Bethlehem - Scranton trips are announced.  I haven't heard who is even going to sell the tickets, much less the costs.  I will post when I hear.

www.project3713.com

OCtrainguy
Chaser
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #6 on: Jul 12th, 2011, 12:42pm »

Thanks, I figured all the I's haven't been dotted yet.  I do hope this trip comes through, it would be a very cool ride.  

ARA18
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Aug 7th, 2011, 8:05pm »

Anyone have any more news? The page about Railfest on Steamtown's website is not working.

Go Leafs!
CSX sucks!
American Viscose #6
Arcade & Attica #18
New York Centra; 4068/4080, Life's Good up here.
565fan
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Aug 7th, 2011, 9:51pm »

The inbound excursion from Bethlehem to Scranton is not going to happen, sad to say.  Its cancellation won't be posted on the website, because it's operation wasn't announced. It would have been a great addition to the event, and might happen sometime in the future.

In other news, there will be a lot of action in the shop and tours of the Mattes St. Tower. The interior of the 1911 tower has been renovated. Various track cars will also be on display. I'm sure the 565 crew will be there to show off her restoration progress too.

A demonstration of iron smelting and pouring will take place at the south end of the shop building, too.

Some new stuff, some old standbys should make for an interesting   RailFest 2011.

www.project3713.com

OCtrainguy
Chaser
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #9 on: Aug 8th, 2011, 10:56am »

I had called Steamtown the end of last week and asked about the proposed Bethlehem excursion and they said it wasn't going to happen, unfortunately.  It would've been a great ride and hopefully they can offer it in the future.  

OCtrainguy
Chaser
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #10 on: Aug 24th, 2011, 1:04pm »

I've checked the Steamtown website for any updates on Railfest and noticed (and have noticed for a while) that CSX and CP currently aren't listed as attendees with visiting equipment.  I know we are about ten days away from Railfest and I do hope CP does have an engine they will display.  The D&H engine they sent was really cool.  I will be looking forward to seeing the CNJ RS3 though.

I also saw a Lego model train display will be there and my son is hoping its the Pennsylvania Lego Users Group again as their display last year was rather impressive.  And we're looking forward to the opening of the Mattes Street tower and hope to catch one of the trains passing the tower while we are there.  

565fan
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Aug 24th, 2011, 10:06pm »

I don't think Canadian Pacific is sending a loco this year.  From what I hear, business is so good, they can't spare any power.  Take that any way you want it.  
Norfolk Southern will be sending 3 locomotives.  This is interesting, because they are also making a grand appearance at the Tennessee Valley RailFest that same weekend to debut their new version of a steam program.

The same Lego Modelers group will be at RailFest that showed last year.  I really liked that display, too.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #12 on: Sep 2nd, 2011, 10:06pm »

Railfest is now underway.  About as many people who showed up today knew about the fest as those who didn't.  Much of the day was spent in preparing the yard for the arrival of Amtrak's 40th Anniversary train.

The very cheerful crew happy to welcome the visitors to Steamtown.

3254 and 514 pose before going to work after lunch.  

Norman working on the air conditioning of Lehigh Valley 353.

Speaking of Lehigh Valley, Yellow jacket no. 414 poses with Norfolk Southern GP40 and Reading RS3.  
As of 5 PM, the Amtrak special had not arrived.  Heres to a fun filled weekend.

www.project3713.com

OCtrainguy
Chaser
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #13 on: Sep 7th, 2011, 2:13pm »

I was at Steamtown on Saturday for the festivities.  I've been busy since, so I haven't been able to go through my photos.  They had a big turnout, in my opinion and there was a lot going on.  There were always lines for the caboose hops and the Scranton Limited; the Lego train display was rather popular as were some of the tours/demonstrations and the cab views of the Big Boy.  I like how Amtrak had two heritage engines along with the NPCU.  The CNJ Alco looks great and the NS engines were a welcome break from the widecabs.      

My only complaint was that there was only one tour to the Mattes Street tower and that left the visitors area at ten o'clock.  We got in around 10:15 a.m.  There wasn't anyway to know before hand about the times of the tour.  A second tour would've been nice.  Will share some photos and videos as soon as I can.  

« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2011, 3:15pm by OCtrainguy » Logged
565fan
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Sep 11th, 2011, 10:39pm »

Amtrak was still getting things in position on Saturday morning, just around 8:30 AM.  Here is the 40th Anniversary train on the East end of the loco shop.

Locomotive 145 would head up the display train, while no. 822 would be displayed separately in the turntable area.

The power car, a former F40PH would keep the lights on in the Amtrak 10001.

Superintendent Kip Hagen speaking before the audience to introduce RailFest.

Amtrak 822 really fills a track.  Posed in the turntable area with Central of New Jersey 1554.

Amtrak also brought along vehicles to move crews and the K9 patrol.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #15 on: Sep 11th, 2011, 10:49pm »

Activity available to the visitors to RailFest included the Caboose Experience.

Tours of the Big Boy cab.

Different uses of road/rail equipment, including the OJ Simpson Bronco.  

Plus volunteers explaining equipment, such as the track repair crane.

On Saturday, the F3 pair led the excursion to Moscow, PA.  3254 ran the Scranton Limited in the yard.  On Sunday, steam would run to Moscow, with F3 663 hauling the Limited.

Backing the train to get in position for the first Limited.

All Aboard!!!

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #16 on: Sep 16th, 2011, 10:07pm »

An electrical problem cropped up on Saturday's Moscow train, so 664 is laid up for the time being.

This left 663 to soldier on for Sunday's Scranton Limited on her own.

She did a great job, as we can see.  She is passing the Mall going under the walkway.

A neat feature of the RailFest is this rare tour of the Mattes St. tower.

Diesels on display at the turntable include the D-L's restored CNJ RS3 no. 1554 and the NS SD40-2.

Two predecessors of the NS are the Nickel Plate Road (represented by GP9 no. 514) and the Reading Company (represented by FP7 no. 902-903).  The Readings were display only this year, while 514 ran the caboose experience train.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #17 on: Sep 16th, 2011, 10:13pm »

My steam photos aren't very good this year.  Things are crowded in the roundhouse and in the loco shop.  Here is DL&W 565 and a poster promoting the recent work done on her.

Two 2-8-0s are in the shop, with Illinois Central no. 790 getting a finish on her paint job. and Rahway Valley no 15 just beginning.

Also getting new paint is 4-8-4 no. 2124.  This Reading T-1 is almost ready to take her place outside again.

« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2011, 10:14pm by 565fan » Logged

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #18 on: Sep 16th, 2011, 10:47pm »

Sunday in mid-afternoon, it looked like Yogi had served his last potato pancake, and packed up for the day.

and yet, more action was still to be seen as Amtrak's anniversary train pulls one last move.  The Trolley bus shows up just in time to be stopped by the train.

C'mon back!  Yer good!  Keep it coming!

The rumble and the roar of a GE P42 rolling underneath you.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #19 on: Sep 16th, 2011, 10:58pm »

The train is backing through the museum/roundhouse plaza and on the turntable.

Almost as soon as the locomotive is inside, the doors are shut.

... and there you have it.  More photos of RailFest still on the way.  The day did not end with Amtrak's departure.  Plenty of action took place in preparing the other equipment to move out.

www.project3713.com

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »