Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 28th, 2017, 9:31pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Steamtown 2011 Excursions
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Steamtown
(Moderators: NKP759fan, strasburg90)
   Steamtown 2011 Excursions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Steamtown 2011 Excursions  (Read 2795 times)
565fan
Historian
Re: Steamtown 2011 Excursions

« Reply #20 on: May 25th, 2011, 5:01pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I make no promises on where a train will go in the future, but during the present, a train will go where the host railroad allows.  
The trains heading north on the Canadian Pacific system go to the Hop Bottom siding, approximately 22 miles or so.  When the Steamtown trains went to Kingsley, there was a station standing there.  The Harford Historical Society sold cookies and other items there.  This station collapsed from a big snow storm in 2005 and was torn down afterward.  There is no place in Kingsley to go now.  
It's a similar situation in Pocono Summit.  The station is not occupied, so why go there?  At least in Tobyhanna, the Pocono Mountains Chapter is able to host a trainload of people.  Nothing but a chainlink fence and an out of service station (for 24 years) will greet them. If an occupant takes over in P.S., that could change.
I make no comment on any Bethlehem to Scranton train until tickets are announced for sale.

www.project3713.com

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #21 on: Jun 4th, 2011, 7:49am »

Maybe someday the Pocono Summit station will be rented by someone. A few years ago I was able to go inside with Jim Finan (DL railroad) to photograph the inside of the station for a potential tenant. The inside of the station is really nice. The wood work is really something to see.  

Glad to see they were able to do the run to the viaduct this year. The line is busy now so it was good to see they were able to do it.  

Mike

restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #22 on: Jun 4th, 2011, 3:47pm »

I heard somewhere that the Pocono Summit station is tied up in litigation.  Some guy put a lot of money into fixing it up with the understanding that Steamtown would run excursions to it.  For reasons I don't know, probably having to do with a lack of a runaround track at Pocono Summit, Steamtown decided to not run excursions there anymore, and the guy sued for expenses.  But I don't really know for sure.  Hopefully someone on here can clarify

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_0107_Small.jpg - 38710 Bytes
« Reply #23 on: Jun 7th, 2011, 4:26pm »

Jim mentioned something about it but seemed like it wasn't a big deal. (that was a few years ago) There was a Steamtown schedule posted on the station (picture is from 2006)

There is no runaround track at the station.

Mike

on Jun 4th, 2011, 3:47pm, restore_RV15 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I heard somewhere that the Pocono Summit station is tied up in litigation.  Some guy put a lot of money into fixing it up with the understanding that Steamtown would run excursions to it.  For reasons I don't know, probably having to do with a lack of a runaround track at Pocono Summit, Steamtown decided to not run excursions there anymore, and the guy sued for expenses.  But I don't really know for sure.  Hopefully someone on here can clarify

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Steamtown/100_0107_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #24 on: Jun 7th, 2011, 9:48pm »

I knew there was no runaround there (at least anymore), but I believe that excursion schedule is old.  They used to run there in 80s

565fan
Historian

« Reply #25 on: Jun 8th, 2011, 12:34pm »

Yes the schedule is old (and dirty now) .  I was hung in 1987, the only year that trains went to and departed from Pocono Summit.  It was a double-ended operation where one train left from Scranton, another departed Pocono Summit.  At Moscow they would swap cars, allowing passengers to go the full length of the trip or the "half trip." Steam was only based in Scranton, so the Pocono end didn't have as big of a draw.  The problems began when the steam engine didn't leave Scranton, making for a diesel trip from any point.  With the chance to ride behind steam taken away, the crowds diminished.
That was the last year of Steamtown USA operations.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #26 on: Jul 6th, 2011, 10:36pm »

This coming Saturday, July 9th will be the first steam excursion to Moscow for 2011.  
Is anyone here planning to ride or chase?  Post any comments or photos here.

BTW, this excursion will be led by CN 3254.  The rumors of a diesel only season will be proven wrong on all Moscow trains.  Most of the Tobyhanna trips will have 3254 on the outbound portion.

www.project3713.com

montclaire
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #27 on: Jul 8th, 2011, 2:55pm »

I won't be able to ride, but I will be going to the Moscow station for a hotdog and a soda and to support the restoration of 3713.  I invite anyone else to do the same.  I don't know how long the station is staffed but I would say at least 1130a-1230p.  

« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2011, 3:02pm by montclaire » Logged
Andyt293
Historian

« Reply #28 on: Jul 15th, 2011, 6:27pm »

Thinking of going on the excursion tomorrow and as usual the Steamtown website is horrible.  Every time I click on more information, I get an error message.

Can anyone fill me in on the schedule?  I know the train leaves at 11 am but does the train make any stops?  Is there food available on the train?  Can we bring food and drinks on the train?

Any information would be appreciated,

Thanks

If I stand in Grandma's back yard in Georgetown and close my eyes real tight, I can still hear CNJ freights grinding up the backtrack......and smell the smoke from the brake shoes of a Tuscan Century 628 as it leads NE-84 through Georgetown Interlocking on its way to a meet with the D&H at W-B.....
565fan
Historian

« Reply #29 on: Jul 26th, 2011, 11:28pm »

Hi AndyT.  Sorry for the delay in answering.  The easiest way to find answers is to use the phone number for tickets.  Toll free it's (88 693-9391, ext. 5204
Normally, the train runs directly to it's destination.  However, for that trip on the 16th, there was an hour layover in Gouldsboro, about 5 miles shy of Tobyhanna.  No food is served aboard the train, but the destination stations usually provide some light refreshment. Food is allowed on the train, but in personal sized containers.  Huge stadium coolers are too big when the train is full.  

This is the policy on most trains.  If a meal is included, it would be announced in the schedule.  We have done that, but the last time was for the debut excursion to the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, in 2003.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #30 on: Jul 26th, 2011, 11:49pm »

hahaha
It seems as though Railfan.net has a sense of humor.  It took the last 8 of the toll free area code, and made a smiley out of it.  For the number above, it is 888 before you hit the 693 exchange.  Happy calling!

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #31 on: Jul 27th, 2011, 12:44am »

Here are the F3s posed in Gouldsboro.  I worked on the train that day, so G-boro is the only place I had a chance to take shots of the train.

The station in the background.  I think there were as many people out to greet the train as there were to ride.

The weather was perfect for a ride, a chase or a photo.  The clouds added so much to this and other shots.  I look forward to the next run with the F3s or the FP7s, but this is one for the books.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #32 on: Jul 27th, 2011, 2:12pm »

On the ARHS facebook page, it was mentioned that 664 and 663 will once again make the run to Tobyhanna this coming Saturday, July 30.  There will be no scheduled stop at Gouldsboro.  Have a great weekend.  If you chase, don't forget to post photos.  

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #33 on: Sep 11th, 2011, 11:18pm »

The excursion season is on hiatus for the remainder of September, but there are plenty of trains planned for October.  Every Saturday and Sunday will feature a trip to one point of the Poconos or another.  Saturday, October 15 will be the day-long run to East Stroudsburg, PA with diesel power.  There will be a re-dedication of the East Stroudsburg station on the North Side of the tracks on that date.  

October 2, 22, 23 and 30 will be trains to Tobyhanna.  Plan on them being diesel trips also.  Steam still reigns supreme on the Moscow runs.  

A chartered special will hit the rails on Sunday, October 2.  The Erie Lackawanna Historical Society will have the C425s lead the Erie Lackawanna Dining Car Society's trio of Comet I cars and the Nickel Plate Sleeper on a train to East Stroudsburg.  This is a chaser's special.  It leaves Scranton at 8 AM.  

Also, expect the return of the Ice Harvest train on Saturday, January 14, 2012.  Steam will return to Tobyhanna for this festive run to the top of the Poconos.  Tickets will go on sale in early October. Regular Tobyhanna prices apply.
See you trackside.

www.project3713.com

restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #34 on: Sep 12th, 2011, 1:10am »

It's a shame the society couldnt use the F3s for that run

Brian Tusin
Historian

« Reply #35 on: Sep 12th, 2011, 5:47pm »

I called Steamtown to order a ticket for the October 2nd trip.  They said the 3254 will be pulling the trip to Tobbyhanna, and the F3's will pull it back to Scranton.

« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2011, 5:48pm by Brian Tusin » Logged
rquidone
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #36 on: Sep 28th, 2011, 5:07pm »

NOTE: All Tonyhanna excursions for October with CN#3254 are beging substuted for Diesel Power!!!
 But, the Ice Train in January should be powered by CN#3254!! Tickets for the Ice Train go on sale in October!! For more info go to http://www.nps.gov/stea/index

Brian Tusin
Historian

« Reply #37 on: Sep 28th, 2011, 9:20pm »

If this is true I am not even going to bother to go to Steamtown.  If I wanted to ride behind a diesel I will go to the Cuyahoga Valley Railroad which is 40 minutes from me not 5.5 hours!  I am glad this was just a side trip to my trip to the New Jersey Live Steamers for the 50th anniversary meet.  I am going to call them in the morning and ask for a refund, and they call it Steamtown!!  I did just now take a look at the schedule, and it is listed as diesels.  The only way I will go back to Steamtown is if they refund my ticket.  Luckily I did ride behind the 765 last weekend so I did get my steam fix. 

« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2011, 9:26pm by Brian Tusin » Logged
Brian Tusin
Historian

« Reply #38 on: Sep 29th, 2011, 9:51am »

Well I called Steamtown this morning and they did give me a refund.  It is nice to know there are doing the right thing.  They said they are calling everyone who bought tickets to let them know the change and offer them a refund.  I was really looking forward to visiting and riding the trip, but to me there is no point if it is not being pulled by steam.

565fan
Historian

« Reply #39 on: Oct 3rd, 2011, 11:54pm »

This upcoming weekend is Moscow weekend!  On Saturday, Oct 8, there will be two trains, one to ride and one to chase, LOL.  11 AM is the normal train to Moscow, and there will be a chartered train at 2 PM.  Both will have the same consist of 3254 and the 6 coaches.
Sunday will just have the 11 AM steam train to Moscow.  This is not only Columbus Day weekend, but also Steamtown Marathon weekend.  One of the busiest weekends of the year.

The following weekend is when the Lackawanna F3s return to the rails.  Saturday's train to East Stroudsburg leaves Scranton at 9 AM.  This will be the first run of these beauties on the Eastern slope of the Pocono Plateau, and no running backwards
Sunday sees the F3s on a Tobyhanna run, leaving Scranton at 11 AM  Steam will remain in the yard those days.

Post any and all photos here!

www.project3713.com

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »