Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 25th, 2017, 8:02pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Steamtown 2011 Excursions
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Steamtown
(Moderators: NKP759fan, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Steamtown 2011 Excursions  (Read 2815 times)
565fan
Historian

« on: Jan 7th, 2011, 11:01pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Still nothing on the website     I wonder if the Ice Harvest train riders will get an early copy of the schedule?  

This is the latest for the release of a schedule since 2004.  At that time there was an insurance crisis in the nation, and there were property issues / Trackage rights to be ironed out which held back the release.

No idea what the hold-up is this year.  If someone hears or sees the website updated, then please post the link here.  Enjoy.

www.project3713.com

bigjim4life
Historian
Re: Steamtown 2011 Excursions

« Reply #1 on: Jan 16th, 2011, 7:38pm »

Schedule is posted online:   http://www.nps.gov/stea/planyourvisit/loader.cfm?csModule=security/getfile&PageID=296111

Among interesting items of note:  There are two excursions to the Water Gap - one to Water Gap itself, and one to E. Stroudsburg - both both excursions will be pulled by the Reading FP7's, neither by steam.  Hmm...

One of the Moscow excursions and three of the Tobyhanna excursions are also pulled by the FP7's.  Which means that the other three out of 6 Tobyhanna excursions are steam trips.'

Also, why a lack of September excursions?

Brian Tusin
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Jan 17th, 2011, 10:19am »

This is a big disapointment.  I really did want to ride the excursion to the Water Gap this year, but there is no point if it is not being pulled by the 3254.  

Brian

Max Hamberger
Railfan

« Reply #3 on: Jan 17th, 2011, 10:43am »

I am a little disappointed as well as we were planning to chase the Founder's Day excursion, since we will not be able to make Railfest this year due to college. On the brighter side, there always is the Tobyhanna excursion in July...

« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2011, 10:45am by Max Hamberger » Logged

Best,
Maxwell Hamberger
Montana State University
School of Film & Photography
Class of 2015
restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Jan 17th, 2011, 6:15pm »

Steamtown has probably realized they need to save 3254 as much as they can, although I don't know why they wouldn't use her for at least one of the long ones.  Ah well, here's hopin' that 26 gets finished soon and 113 comes to Steamtown

bigjim4life
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Mar 10th, 2011, 11:12am »

Has anyone else noticed (or is it just me) that looking at the Steamtown schedule, they took away the first trip to the Water Gap?  The only trip that way they have now is the E. Stroudsburg dedication trip later in the year.  Why did they take the first one away?  Anyone?

mike_tillger

View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Mar 10th, 2011, 5:46pm »

The Railroad needs to make repairs to the bridge over the Broadhead Creek, which also happens to fall under an Interstate 81 bridge which crosses both the creek and the railroad. I heard that excessive salt corrosion from the highway bridge above is the reason for the accelerated corrosion of the bridge beams. This bridge is East of East Stroudsburg, so only trips past their are on hold. The project engineers recommended no trains should cross the bridge until repairs are made. The DL has been giving service to their only customer east of there using a trackmobile, and all the other interchange happens on the west end of the railroad around Scranton for now.

Ashley_John
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Mar 10th, 2011, 11:04pm »

on Mar 10th, 2011, 5:46pm, mike_tillger wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The Railroad needs to make repairs to the bridge over the Broadhead Creek, which also happens to fall under an Interstate 81 bridge which crosses both the creek and the railroad.

A minor correction Mike, that would be I-80, not I-81.

John

Riding the rails of the past via media and exploration.
mike_tillger

View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Mar 11th, 2011, 4:42am »

Thank you John, too many days and miles on I81, the bridge is definitely on I80.

rwk
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Mar 16th, 2011, 3:34am »

Steamtown is really cutting back on excursions. There doesn't seem to be any excursions before mid July. Also, half are diesel powered. No steam past Tobyhanna this year. The DWG one was probably canceled because of the bridge problem past E Stroudsburg.

565fan
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Mar 31st, 2011, 9:15pm »

A recent addition to the excursion schedule will be a train trip from Steamtown to Nicholson and Hop Bottom on May 28. Time for departure is 1:00 PM.  Motive Power is expected to be the Reading FP7s, when they get approval from the Canadian Pacific Railway.  This will be a return to the Nicholson area after a year off.  

Tickets for this train and the rest of the 2011 season will be available for purchase on Saturday, April 16.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Apr 9th, 2011, 4:05pm »

And it seems like the feared Government closure hasn't taken place.  It doesn't mean that all is happy in Washington, but it does mean that Steamtown is on track to open tickets for sale.  On Schedule, April 16th.  
With the Nicholson, East Stroudsburg and Holiday trains going on sale at the same time,  it will be a bit of a madhouse.  If you plan to buy tickets over the phone, just call and leave a message.  The sales people will call you back.  If you keep calling, the lines will be blocked, and you will be called back several times after the sale is processed. The sales will be in order of when the calls are made.  

The only shortcut to this method is to go to the ticket window, between 9 and 4. You can still purchase them in person, if you find one train or another to be irresistible.  

www.project3713.com

Brian Tusin
Historian

« Reply #12 on: Apr 9th, 2011, 6:20pm »

Another one of Steamtown's excursions I would like to go on this year, but not with diesels pulling the train.  It really is sad to see their excursion schedule this year.   Does anyone know why they are not using the 3254 on the long excursions?   I have not got an answer from Steamtown when I emailed them.

Brian

565fan
Historian

« Reply #13 on: May 24th, 2011, 10:24am »

Update on the excursion schedule.  Reading Co. no 903 is in need of some spring work, but either parts or mechanic schedule won't allow this until June.  As a result, 3254 will lead the train to Nicholson this coming Saturday.  It will be part of the "Railroads and the Military... and Unbreakable Bond" weekend, taking place this Memorial Day weekend.  Nickel Plate 514 will be on the Scranton Limited schedule.  

www.project3713.com

bigjim4life
Historian

« Reply #14 on: May 24th, 2011, 1:08pm »

SO NOT FAIR!!   Why do I have to be in Kansas City for work this coming weekend?  I would totally be there with my cameras.  I hope plenty of railfans are out there taking videos and photos!

The_Former_Fireman
Railfan

« Reply #15 on: May 24th, 2011, 3:21pm »

Jim,

No worries, the 844 will be in KC while you're there:

http://www.up.com/aboutup/special_trains/steam/details.shtml

« Last Edit: May 24th, 2011, 3:22pm by The_Former_Fireman » Logged
bigjim4life
Historian

« Reply #16 on: May 24th, 2011, 7:23pm »

on May 24th, 2011, 3:21pm, The_Former_Fireman wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Jim,

No worries, the 844 will be in KC while you're there:

http://www.up.com/aboutup/special_trains/steam/details.shtml

Except the office is open daily from 7:30 (the latest i can show up) until 7 pm or so - so I can't really get out to see it arrive/leave/on display.  Then again - the Union Station lines are outside, aren't they?  Meh.

Max Hamberger
Railfan

« Reply #17 on: May 24th, 2011, 11:13pm »

Between having to hold down a job and gas being what it is, I won't be able to attend. Man, holding down an adult lifestyle really bites sometimes. No matter, I'm confident I can catch '54 on an excursion SOMETIME before August 18th...

Best,
Maxwell Hamberger
Montana State University
School of Film & Photography
Class of 2015
rwk
Historian

« Reply #18 on: May 25th, 2011, 1:21am »

Why does the Nicholson trip always sell out? The last one two years ago sold out in two days a month and a half before the trip! That excursion is longer than Moscow, correct? As long as Tobyhanna or shorter? I thought they used to go to Kingsley north of the viaduct between 1989 and 1992 while the Moscow line was out of service for repairs? Now it's going to be steam and I wish I could have gone on it as I never rode that excursion only toward Moscow and beyond. But, I'm more interested in the Bethlehem to Steamtown excursion on Sept. 3 as I live just west of Allentown, PA. Bennett Levin's Juniata Terminal PRR E8's are going to be powering it. Now, that trip better not be $5,000.00 or even $500.00. Because Bennett Levin's trips are known to be very expensive. But, this is not a 4 day trip, just an 80 some mile each way excursion.

rwk
Historian

« Reply #19 on: May 25th, 2011, 3:29pm »

Another thing, why do the regular excursions that go past Moscow only go as far as Tobyhanna and not to Pocono Summit like they did in 1987? And why doesn't the Viaduct excursion go as far as Kingsley like it did between 1989 and 1992? Because the passing siding was moved south? Would they ever be able to go to Binghamton again?

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »