Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 30th, 2017, 10:28pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Steamtown Shop News
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Steamtown
(Moderators: NKP759fan, strasburg90)
   Steamtown Shop News
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Steamtown Shop News  (Read 10058 times)
restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

Re: Steamtown Shop News

« Reply #80 on: Mar 12th, 2010, 7:58pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I went on the shop tour on Wednesday.  That's what the ranger told me, except for the 759 stuff.  I asked around/saw that stuff

restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #81 on: Mar 12th, 2010, 8:35pm »

Here's a video Len made on Wednesday of 759 and 565:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVmZYHXJfBM

restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #82 on: Mar 20th, 2010, 2:21pm »

Anybody have any updates?

alzubal
Enthusiast

« Reply #83 on: Mar 24th, 2010, 9:53pm »

So did 3254 pass the hydro test?
Thank you  
Al

Al
Strasburg31
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #84 on: Mar 25th, 2010, 9:47am »

on Mar 11th, 2010, 8:24pm, Steamtown_Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
That's not my age you stupid fools, that's how many posts, I have posted on here.  Get your eyes checked.

James

It is obvious that "James" is another incarnation of Len Shaner.   He even uses LENNY in his user name!

Write to Old Tucson Movie Studios and ask them to donate the V&T Reno, #11 to a museum.
www.oldtucson.com
joneau261
Historian

« Reply #85 on: Mar 25th, 2010, 2:31pm »

Strasburg31, I doubt that Len did that on purpose. Even he No one could possibly be so low on brain cells to use their name when trying to be someone else. I would likely attribute that Henry and his everso clever banhammer skills.

This of course, has little to do with Steamtown. Anyone know something new?

"Railfans are clingy, complaining dumbsnots who will never ever be grateful for any concession you provide. The moment you shut out their shrill tremulous complaints, the happier you'll be for it.
Incidentally, how about donating to Railfan.net?"
alzubal
Enthusiast

« Reply #86 on: Mar 30th, 2010, 9:05am »

So what about 3254?

Al
565fan
Historian

« Reply #87 on: Apr 4th, 2010, 9:37pm »

Hi, Al:
I wish I had better news for you, but CN 3254 did not pass her hydro-test this time around.  The first test showed about 12 or 14 leaky tubes in different spots.  They were changed out, and the boiler was set for the second test, which led to "about" 30 or so more tubes leaking, too. As anyone could guess, the crews are disheartened, but new tubes are being ordered.  
In the meantime, the decision is made to replace all of the firetubes.  160 of them, I believe.  Needless to say, this is throwing another monkeywrench in some of the other plans for the year.  

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #88 on: Apr 4th, 2010, 9:41pm »

Well, after reading the above post several times before sending it, I need to add this note.  

It is still possible and even likely that this Mikado will be ready in time for the excursion season. With the amount of work, and other things involved in bidding and purchasing the new tubes, she won't be ready for National Park Week.  This is the beginning of the operating season on April 18th.

www.project3713.com

The_Former_Fireman
Railfan

« Reply #89 on: Apr 4th, 2010, 10:01pm »

To add on to the above...

After talking to a number of people at Steamtown, I'm convinced that the 3254 will be up and running for the NRHS convention in June and for their East Stroudsburg trip after the convention.

Dave

alzubal
Enthusiast

« Reply #90 on: Apr 5th, 2010, 9:23pm »

Thank You for the answer
al

Al
Max Hamberger
Railfan

« Reply #91 on: Apr 29th, 2010, 8:33pm »

From the April 29th, 2010 shop report:
Baldwin Locomotive Works #26 Progress:
-Tender cistern is complete except exterior paint job and mount on frame.  This is a big step forward. The truck unit tower castings will be done by May 14th..until then we are held up waiting on them. Once we get those we can re-assemble the truck units, attach the frame to the trucks, attach the cistern to the frame, and put it in the paint booth for exterior painting.
-The firebox crown stay bolt job is complete. That was the toughest part of the stay bolt job. Currently, we are finishing up the flexi-stays inside the firebox. We will be applying a pexior coating to the barrel of the boiler in a few weeks.  
-This summer we anticipate installing the front tube sheet, the dry pipe, and all the 2” tubes. We also anticipate completing work on the crosshead guides and crossheads, shoes and wedges, journal boxes, and brasses.

-Delaware, Lackawanna, & Western #565 Progress:  
-Crew is removing the oil tank from the tender.  
-They will be here on Saturday May first to do some sandblasting.  
-The asbestos contractors removed all the asbestos from the steam chest.  
 -The fireman’s side was stabilized with rust converter. The engineer’s side needs to be needle scaled and rust converter and paint need to be applied.
-The crew is still focused on the lead truck and typical preservation work (remove rust and paint) using the sandblaster.
-Len Shaner will be a guest speaker at the DL&WHS meeting on Saturday, May 1st, 2010, giving a report on work completed so far by 565.

That's all for now guys!
-Max

Best,
Maxwell Hamberger
Montana State University
School of Film & Photography
Class of 2015
Max Hamberger
Railfan

« Reply #92 on: Apr 29th, 2010, 8:43pm »

Hate to double post, but I forgot this part of it, and the modify option doesn't seem to be working!  

CN 3254
-All 200 of the 2” tubes are in place, rolled, beaded, and hydro tested.  
-We are ready to begin seal welding the fire box side tubes.
-FRA should be here around the week of May 17th to witness the final hydro test.
-We are in the middle of putting new axle sets on the tender trucks. The old tires will be re-profiled and returned to stock for later use.
-CN 3254 should be back in service no later than Memorial Day weekend.

Best,
Maxwell Hamberger
Montana State University
Class of 2015
restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #93 on: Apr 29th, 2010, 8:47pm »

great to finally hear some news!

any info on 3713?

Max Hamberger
Railfan

« Reply #94 on: Apr 30th, 2010, 9:36pm »

Nothing to report on 3713 at the moment  
-Max

Best,
Maxwell Hamberger
Montana State University
Class of 2015
565fan
Historian

« Reply #95 on: May 23rd, 2010, 8:52pm »

In a quiet move yesterday morning, CN no. 3254 was taken from the loco shop to the roundhouse.  She passed the annual inspection after receiving 160 new firetubes.  She will get her first fire this coming week, and is expected to run the Scranton Limited trains this weekend... very likely on Friday.

Similarly, Lehigh Valley office car, 353 was hauled from the RH to go to the shop.  This 1916 beauty is getting her own annual brake inspection.  She will run on the June 22 NRHS convention train from Scranton to Sunbury, and on the June 24 convention train from Scranton to Delaware Water Gap and return.

www.project3713.com

Max Hamberger
Railfan

« Reply #96 on: May 25th, 2010, 9:00pm »

Beat me to it 565fan!   Also, I received news that on Friday, 3254's new stainless steel tender arrived! It's currently still in primer (grey), waiting to be painted.

-Max

Best,
Maxwell Hamberger
Montana State University
Class of 2015
565fan
Historian

« Reply #97 on: May 26th, 2010, 8:06pm »

It didn't look like primer to me, Max.  It looked like the stainless untouched.  I could see all the welds on the outside, that a coat of primer would hide. I'll see if I have a photo, and we can let that be our "proof" until our next time there.

www.project3713.com

restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #98 on: May 27th, 2010, 5:31pm »

To settle you're arguement, to me the tender looked as though it was half primed.  It looks a lot different from the current tender, but in a good way.  

According to one of the workers up there, yesterday 3254 blew a boiler tube.  But since she was sitting in the roundhouse steaming away today, clearly not much happened in the way of damage.

I missed the shop tour today, but some other information about Steamtown in general:

NKP #759 and ICRR #790 have been moved to the back side of NPS verhicle maintainence shop for further work.  A majority of the older wooden pieces have been moved to very back of the park and L&BR #1923 and the Rutland baggage car have been moved to the middle of the park, something that has not happened in a long time.  Work was being performed on the sand tower and a worksite fence has been erected around RW #15.  Apparently they will be working on those 3 right where they are.

565fan
Historian

« Reply #99 on: May 27th, 2010, 8:40pm »

Here are the pics of the new tender

of course, you can see CNJ no. 56 in one shot.  She is emerging as DL&W 664, nearly every day.

www.project3713.com

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »