Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 25th, 2017, 12:53pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Steamtown Shop News
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Steamtown
(Moderators: NKP759fan, strasburg90)
   Steamtown Shop News
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Steamtown Shop News  (Read 10150 times)
restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

Re: Steamtown Shop News

« Reply #60 on: Mar 4th, 2010, 9:21pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I'm not saying you can just up and fire a locomotive simply because it had a cosmetic restoration.  I'm just saying that, since Len and his crew are so overdoing everything to begin with with this restoration, wouldn't that lower the cost to get her running, even a little bit?

And we know life isn't just about which steam engine gets restored next.  That's why we all come on here.

3254Fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #61 on: Mar 4th, 2010, 10:08pm »

I wouldn't go anywhere near as to say they're "overdoing everything." They're essentially doing the basics to make 565 look like an intact steam engine again. The project entails placing all of the original parts, or as many as possible, back on the engine, and making them look as good as possible. It does NOT mean that these parts will make the engine closer to being operable. They are just the basic and decorative components that will make the engine "whole" again, but Len can elaborate on this. This whole topic really belongs on the 565 board.

The engine needs a serious major overhaul of virtually everything in order to run. Putting parts back on it to make it look presentable won't necessarily save any money towards restoring the engine to operation.

Moderates: East Broad Top
joneau261
Historian

« Reply #62 on: Mar 4th, 2010, 11:07pm »

on Mar 4th, 2010, 10:08pm, 3254Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I wouldn't go anywhere near as to say they're "overdoing everything." They're essentially doing the basics to make 565 look like an intact steam engine again. The project entails placing all of the original parts, or as many as possible, back on the engine, and making them look as good as possible. It does NOT mean that these parts will make the engine closer to being operable. They are just the basic and decorative components that will make the engine "whole" again, but Len can elaborate on this. This whole topic really belongs on the 565 board.

The engine needs a serious major overhaul of virtually everything in order to run. Putting parts back on it to make it look presentable won't necessarily save any money towards restoring the engine to operation.

You ask for Len's response, you get Len's response. I'm willing to post this here as it does answer a likely to be repeated question on the 565's restoration.  

(This message may have gone through a spell check.)

"Hello all,

I am having Jonathan post this for me because I can't post the information myself on here.

I have been the Co-Leader of this project since June 2009, and I have been following the cosmetic painting and stabilization documentation of January 22, 2004 that a volunteer from Steamtown National Historical Site wrote for DL&W No. 565. This is a 62 page report on cosmetic restore of 565.
We are going to make 565 roll again just like she did when she operated, which means what parts need to be made. They will be made to operate so that if they decide in time to do a full restore on her, she will work.

Now, 565's boiler needs a lot of work! The smokebox needs a lot of work too. She'll need new staybolts, flues, superheater tubes, table grates, ashpan, crossheads, etc.  This is what we would need to make it operate again.

Now, because we are just doing a cosmetic restoration on her, we just need to do the basic, not that we are taking short cuts. We are making a lot of new parts for her. Our main focus is to get her stabilized with her lead truck and front driver journals back on. We are hoping to have this done before Lackawanna Railfest in September. We are also going to be working on getting the oil tank out of the tender soon.

I have a lot planed for 565 this year, so with the help of others, we'll get it done.
Check out our new site it talks about everything that is going on for Project 565.

Thank you,
Leonard F. Shaner, Jr.
Co - Volunteer Lead
http://projectdlw565.webs.com"

« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2010, 11:08pm by joneau261 » Logged

"Railfans are clingy, complaining dumbsnots who will never ever be grateful for any concession you provide. The moment you shut out their shrill tremulous complaints, the happier you'll be for it.
Incidentally, how about donating to Railfan.net?"
Steamtown_Fan_LENNY
Banned User
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #63 on: Mar 4th, 2010, 11:15pm »

All I can say is Wow!!!

The_Former_Fireman
Railfan

« Reply #64 on: Mar 5th, 2010, 8:34am »

A little background on the photo posted above...

The 565 was never used in regular service by the BR&W in the original location at Chester NJ and was never fired after the regular passenger ops began in Ringoes.

As for the condition of the engine, as I said, the 60 was purchased, moved from CO to NJ and placed in service for less money than the 565 would have needed.

Anything will run with enough money thrown at it, but a cosmetic restoration and an operational one are entirely two different things.

Dave

PS I'm beginning to think Lenny is back.

« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2010, 10:29am by The_Former_Fireman » Logged
Steamtown_Fan_LENNY
Banned User
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #65 on: Mar 5th, 2010, 11:08am »

Dave, and how would you know this, were you there then?

According to the history on the Black River & Western's web site. They were located in Chester, NJ. for four years before moving to their curent location.

The_Former_Fireman
Railfan

« Reply #66 on: Mar 5th, 2010, 11:38am »

Because I've compiled extensive notes from people who were there at the time.  I'm done discussing it though, it's been beat to death.  Believe what you want.  

So Steamtown_Fan, what's your name?

Dave

afboone
Railfan

« Reply #67 on: Mar 5th, 2010, 11:43am »

OK everyone, settle down.  You need to look at the big picture.  Steamtown is working very hard on #26 and 3713, Both Mikes are doing an awesome job.  Once both are done 2317 will then be the focus of the shop.  That is 4 STEAMERS!  Yes I would love to get 565 back up and running but with the work that the Steamtown crew does on the rebuilds 565 would have to be completely torn down and the extent of the boiler work would be very large. Just look at #26, They are rebuilding or replacing just about everything.  Why?  It's called preventive maintenance.  And they are taking the same approach with 3713.  DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!!!! Mike and I talked and he knows what is bad on 565's boiler just from the visual.  Plus 565's boiler due to FRA regs if she was operational would need a special inspection on the joints.  I think she has a lap joint boiler!  So that would require the tubes to be removed every year for this inspection.  That's alot of work.  Something the shop would spent many hours on.

Steamtown_Fan_LENNY
Banned User
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #68 on: Mar 5th, 2010, 12:48pm »

"So Steamtown_Fan, what's your name?

Dave"

James.  
But you can call me Jim, if you would like.
I been a Steamtown Fan since it was located in VT. And I'm good friends with Lewis Myers.

restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #69 on: Mar 10th, 2010, 6:41pm »

Steamtown Shop Update for 3/10/10

BLW #26
-Staybolts are being cut and welded into place.  Tender has been moved out of the paintshop and is sitting next to the boiler, waiting to be put back onto it's frame

B&M #3713
-Roof sheet has been removed.  Due to a clerical error made in 1934, the roof sheet and the side sheets (basically the entire firebox) will have to be remade.

CN #3254
-FRA hydrostatic pressure test will take place on March 19th.  Shop crew is currently working on something with the flues (Ranger wasn't sure what they were doing)

NKP #759
-Has been moved out of the roundhouse and situated around behind the shop.  The cab was being stripped of all pieces when I visited and later in the day, the crew almost derailed the tender by running it over a chain on the rail while trying to separate the tender from the engine.

DL&W #565
-See the site

PRR #1361
-Still sitting forlorn in the back corner of the roundhouse

Paint shop is currently being rigged to handle the asbestos removal.  If you would like to see the inside of the paint shop, get to Steamtown soon, as for the next several months at least, visitors will not be allowed into the paint shop

mgoldman
Chaser

« Reply #70 on: Mar 11th, 2010, 5:21am »

Restore_RV15 notes:  

"B&M #3713  
-Roof sheet has been removed.  Due to a clerical error made in 1934, the roof sheet and the side sheets (basically the entire firebox) will have to be remade. "

Hmm... am I way off base here or is this not the same issue that caused the restoration of PRR #1361 to grind to a halt?  I'm not saying this will happen with #3713, if this is true, but rather, why was worked stopped on PRR #1361 considering the same fix is required (albeit, a modified roof sheet (thicker) with possible redesign of staybolt layout /quantity).  In other words, if work can progress with the B&M engine at Steamtown, why did the group restoring the PRR engine call it quits?

/Mitch

restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #71 on: Mar 11th, 2010, 6:29am »

If I recall correctly, work on 1361 stopped because Altoona wanted it to stop.  They are building their own restoration shop out there and I guess they finally figured that commuting 4 hours wasn't a great way to work on the engine.  So they called it quits until their shops are finished.  At least that's what I've heard

Anthony RMLI
Former Member

« Reply #72 on: Mar 11th, 2010, 3:15pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Mar 11th, 2010, 5:21am, Mgoldman wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Restore_RV15 notes:  

"B&M #3713  
-Roof sheet has been removed.  Due to a clerical error made in 1934, the roof sheet and the side sheets (basically the entire firebox) will have to be remade. "

Hmm... am I way off base here or is this not the same issue that caused the restoration of PRR #1361 to grind to a halt?  I'm not saying this will happen with #3713, if this is true, but rather, why was worked stopped on PRR #1361 considering the same fix is required (albeit, a modified roof sheet (thicker) with possible redesign of staybolt layout /quantity).  In other words, if work can progress with the B&M engine at Steamtown, why did the group restoring the PRR engine call it quits?

/Mitch

That's right, I forgot about that. They stopped beacuse they ran out of money, blowing what they had doing the wrong job. No one in the world would give them more money after they screwed up so bad.

I would not worry about 3713, unlike the 1361 she does not a Belpair firebox(I know I spelt that wrong) The 1361 did not have thick enough metal on it to be able to steam. Now Strasburg figured this out for them after they spent the money and did the work. LIRR Engine 39 had the same problem....until Strasburg fixed it. PRR locos are a different bread, and where built much diffrently, with "less quailty" metal in many cases. The BM would not have had this problem, just out of the way the locos where built and taken care of.

I would not worry about 3713, 1361 is just honsetly a tragedy in the presvervation community. So many things went wrong, I don't have the time to explain them all.

Anthony

« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2010, 3:18pm by anthonyd_SRR » Logged
The_Former_Fireman
Railfan

« Reply #73 on: Mar 11th, 2010, 3:45pm »

If I understand it, the 3713 issues have more to do with the size/spacing of the staybolts.  Steam locomotive boilers nowadays must have a built in safety factor of X4.  That means that the boiler must be able to withstand 4X the stress it would normally see.  With the current staybolt arrangement it would not meet that requirement.  

Work continues on the 3713 and look for a new locomotive specific website for the 3713 soon.

James, if you are 16 as your profile now says, how have you been a Steamtown fan since it was in Vermont?

Dave

Penn Rail Videos
Former Member

« Reply #74 on: Mar 11th, 2010, 4:06pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Mar 11th, 2010, 3:45pm, The_Former_Fireman wrote:       (Click here for original message)
James, if you are 16 as your profile now says, how have you been a Steamtown fan since it was in Vermont?

Why, that was in his previous life, of course!

Steamtown_Fan_LENNY
Banned User
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #75 on: Mar 11th, 2010, 8:24pm »

That's not my age you stupid fools, that's how many posts, I have posted on here.  Get your eyes checked.

James

bigjim4life
Historian

« Reply #76 on: Mar 11th, 2010, 10:00pm »

on Mar 11th, 2010, 8:24pm, Steamtown_Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
That's not my age you stupid fools, that's how many posts, I have posted on here.  Get your eyes checked.

James

Hey, take it easy, rookie.  You're still new here.  Calm down, read other people's posts, and try to be respectful.  Otherwise you won't get respect in return.

The_Former_Fireman
Railfan

« Reply #77 on: Mar 12th, 2010, 7:42am »

Between the pictures and the writing style, I think James is Lenny.

That is all.

« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2010, 7:58am by The_Former_Fireman » Logged
Steamtown_Fan_LENNY
Banned User
Enthusiast
View Profile  

DVC02875.jpg - 55763 Bytes
« Reply #78 on: Mar 12th, 2010, 5:25pm »

on Mar 11th, 2010, 10:00pm, bigjim4life wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Hey, take it easy, rookie.  You're still new here.  Calm down, read other people's posts, and try to be respectful.  Otherwise you won't get respect in return.

I have been respectful, the other's in here I'm not sure about. Just because I write the way I do and take photo's, don't mean I'm some one else. That could be said about a lot of people I've seen through the years.

I remember back when we pulled 759 in for work, with the High Iron Inc. For up coming trips on the EL. She looks the same as she did then.

I heard some chatter that Steamtown will give her a fresh coat of paint before moving her back in doors. What have heard, Dave?

James

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (55763 bytes, 1024x768 pixels)

Click Here to View Image DVC02875.jpg - 55763 Bytes

Steamtown_Fan_LENNY
Banned User
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #79 on: Mar 12th, 2010, 6:03pm »

on Mar 10th, 2010, 6:41pm, restore_RV15 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Steamtown Shop Update for 3/10/10

BLW #26
-Staybolts are being cut and welded into place.  Tender has been moved out of the paintshop and is sitting next to the boiler, waiting to be put back onto it's frame

B&M #3713
-Roof sheet has been removed.  Due to a clerical error made in 1934, the roof sheet and the side sheets (basically the entire firebox) will have to be remade.

CN #3254
-FRA hydrostatic pressure test will take place on March 19th.  Shop crew is currently working on something with the flues (Ranger wasn't sure what they were doing)

NKP #759
-Has been moved out of the roundhouse and situated around behind the shop.  The cab was being stripped of all pieces when I visited and later in the day, the crew almost derailed the tender by running it over a chain on the rail while trying to separate the tender from the engine.

DL&W #565
-See the site

PRR #1361
-Still sitting forlorn in the back corner of the roundhouse

Paint shop is currently being rigged to handle the asbestos removal.  If you would like to see the inside of the paint shop, get to Steamtown soon, as for the next several months at least, visitors will not be allowed into the paint shop

RV-15 , where did you get this information from?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »