Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 24th, 2017, 11:52pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Steamtown Shop News
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Steamtown
(Moderators: NKP759fan, strasburg90)
   Steamtown Shop News
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Steamtown Shop News  (Read 10031 times)
restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

Re: Steamtown Shop News

« Reply #40 on: Feb 25th, 2010, 5:25pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I didn't say an American locomotive in the operable roster.  I said an American locomotive to pull the excursions.  I'm well aware that BLW 26 is an American locomotive, but again, it is not capable of pulling mainline  excursions.  And in response to 3254, I am aware that CN 3254 is a machine and that all steam engines have off days, but I'm also aware that a) it is a 50+ year old machine and b) pressures issues, while possible that it could just be a day thing, could also be because there are leaks in the flues that could eventually shut the engine down for good.  That cannot be rectified over night.  Considering the age of the engines and the fact that they do cost huge amounts to run and maintain, in the long run, it would be financially better to have more than one engine running the mainline runs.  And in response to the rainfan comment, I know Steamtown's mission is to preserve the history of railroading, but I've heard it from more than one ranger at the park that their mission is to preserve the history of railroad in America.  I don't believe Canadian locomotives do that.  And like you said, mostly families and such go to Steamtown.  They're not there for the engine pulling the train, they're just there for the ride.  As such, they don't care if a steam engine is pulling the train or a diesel is pulling the train.  Therefore, since NKP 514 does such a wonderful job of pulling the yard runs, focus on another yard engine shouldn't be that high a priority.  

Do not tell me I have a lot to learn.  I've been going to Steamtown since I was three, have talked to many people who work or have worked up there, and I'm well aware of how things work up there

3254Fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #41 on: Feb 25th, 2010, 6:35pm »

I understand your argument for another excursion engine. I wouldn't mind seeing another one myself. But I know Steamtown's logic, I've volunteered there for many years. I used to be very critical of the way they operate but after leaving my position there and expanding my knowledge of tourist railroads all across the country, there simply is no comparison. Taking a step back from being inside the organization is the best thing I could ever due to help me understand their operation. It's allowed me to see what makes them so different, so unique. I have become one of Steamtown's biggest supporters, and I stand behind every move they make. I can fully appreciate the scope of the park and how it fits into the world of railroading history and the National Park Service at the same time. I am fully in support of getting the 26 out first, asap. Sometimes you just have to say this is how it is and accept it.

Moderates: East Broad Top
The_Former_Fireman
Railfan

« Reply #42 on: Feb 26th, 2010, 9:37am »

This is fun,

OK restore_RV15, I'm not sure how old you are, but if you've been coming to Steamtown since you were 3 that's great.  Though I was probably involved there since before you were born.  Having spent nearly 20 years of my life working in the railyard here in one capacity or another, I can tell you the 26 is the engine most needed at this time.  It's also the farther along in the restoration process.

It was popular with families because of it's smaller size, it didn't "overwhelm" the kids.  It was more than able to handle the yard duties.  It was cheap to operate and easier to maintain.  People do want to see steam run at Steamtown, even on the shuttles.  They just don't care much where the engine came from, at least in my experience.  

Finishing the 26 will also give the 3254 a break on the yard shuttles, thus saving more service days for excursions.  

For those who don't understand FRA service time, it goes like this:  

15 years or 1472 days (whichever comes first) before an extensive boiler tear down is required.

Now if you run a steam engine even 200 out of the 365 days, that cuts your operating time from in half, in about 7.5 years you'll hit that 1472 day mark.  Doesn't make sense to burn up service time and run nearly empty trains.  Steamtown has looked closely at ridership numbers.  They know when the crowds show up and when to best utilize their equipment.  You run a train when there is demand, but you can't create demand, at least for a steam train ride.

So, following a logical pattern.

1. 26, a popular, useful engine is closest to being placed back in service.
2. Returning the 26 to service will extend the operating life of the 3254.
3. The 3254 is a capable, dependable "go to" machine.
4. With the 3254 now having plenty of service time, shop crews will have time to focus on the 3713.

There ya go.....

Dave Crosby

restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #43 on: Feb 26th, 2010, 11:01am »

I'm just going to stop.  It's obvious I'm the only one here who wants to see 3713 restored and see something different on the mainline.  I never said I don't want 26 restored.  We've been hearing about 3713 for almsot 2 decades now and it would be nice to finally see it.  And as for the wear and tear on 3254, if they have another mainline engine, that's even less use.  Just goes to show what I get for voicing my opinion on a forum.

bigjim4life
Historian

« Reply #44 on: Feb 26th, 2010, 11:20am »

Ok - to change the subject a little bit - are pieces of 1361 still at Steamtown?  Or has everything been shipped back to Altoona?

restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #45 on: Feb 26th, 2010, 11:38am »

Almost all of 1361 is at Steamtown.  I don't know about most of the smaller pieces, but the boiler, firebox, and tender are all still up there in a corner of the roundhouse.

bigjim4life
Historian

« Reply #46 on: Feb 26th, 2010, 5:10pm »

on Feb 26th, 2010, 11:38am, restore_RV15 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Almost all of 1361 is at Steamtown. I don't know about most of the smaller pieces, but the boiler, firebox, and tender are all still up there in a corner of the roundhouse.

Is it ever going to get to Altoona for restoration?  Or are they trying to complete their "half" roundhouse before they take it back to finish restoration?

CR3370
Enthusiast

« Reply #47 on: Feb 26th, 2010, 9:18pm »

Sorry to be late on this post, but I have an issue with people who volunteer at Steamtown talking about "chasers". First off, smarten up and offer a "chaser" ticket. Therefore I can support the trip and still get my shots. I have been going to Steamtown since the year it moved to Scranton, and I have ridden that trip a minimum of 50 times over the years. I am tired of riding, so I go out to take pictures. I, as well as many of the railfans I know, buy a ticket to the museum everytime I am there, even if I never enter the building. Plus "chasers" offer some of the best word of mouth about Steamtown. So start offering a "chaser" ticket so I can get my pictures and you can get your money we seem to not be contributing.  

Steamtown will always be one of my favorite places to visit, and I look forward to seeing 26, 3713 and whatever other engine happens to be running at the time.

Darryl

The Rat LOVES me!!
restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #48 on: Feb 26th, 2010, 10:04pm »

on Feb 26th, 2010, 5:10pm, bigjim4life wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Is it ever going to get to Altoona for restoration? Or are they trying to complete their "half" roundhouse before they take it back to finish restoration?

I believe they want to finish their roundhouse and shop before they take her back.  From what I heard, they ceased work on her because it was too difficult to oversee the work while it was at Scranton.  Can't say I blame them, being 3+ hours away.  Plus, how would they get it back when it was done, since CSX and NS own most of the lines from Scranton to Altoona, and neither permit steam on there lines.  That brings up another question.  Where is the RRM going to run the 1361?  If CSX and NS don't allow steam on their lines, there's not a whole lot of options in PA.  All I can think of is the DL, the R&N, the NH&I, or Strasburg.

bigjim4life
Historian

« Reply #49 on: Feb 26th, 2010, 11:07pm »

on Feb 26th, 2010, 10:04pm, restore_RV15 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I believe they want to finish their roundhouse and shop before they take her back. From what I heard, they ceased work on her because it was too difficult to oversee the work while it was at Scranton. Can't say I blame them, being 3+ hours away. Plus, how would they get it back when it was done, since CSX and NS own most of the lines from Scranton to Altoona, and neither permit steam on there lines. That brings up another question. Where is the RRM going to run the 1361? If CSX and NS don't allow steam on their lines, there's not a whole lot of options in PA. All I can think of is the DL, the R&N, the NH&I, or Strasburg.

They could run it on the Nittany and Bald Eagle RR.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nittany_and_Bald_Eagle_Railroad - since (according to Wikipedia) they have trackage rights, wouldn't that then allow them to say whether or not 1361 could run on that line?

Steamtown_Fan_LENNY
Banned User
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #50 on: Mar 2nd, 2010, 3:19pm »

February 24, 2010
Loco shop/Operation Update

BLW 26
Firebox crown stay seal welds in progress
Turret valve is in place
Driving boxes are being built up with weld and new bearings are being turned.
Cross head alignment with guides in progress
Tender buffer sill is being installed. Cistern shall be mounted to frame soon.  
Cistern is primed and ready for paint. We are installing safety appliances and bunker doors. It will be painted after truck units are under it.

CN 3254
FRA visit to witness hydrostatic pressure test is March 19th.
All repairs are complete and compliance work complete up to the point of putting a squeeze on it.
We are waiting for tender wheels to come in to replace.
Stoker motor reverser rebuilt
Boiler check valves rebuilt and lapped
Water pump and air pump thoroughly cleaned and serviced

Car Dept
Steam Heat installation in 4 passenger cars near completion
Rebuild of 2 DL&W truck units near completion
DL&W 589 will have work done to it and will be painted using outside vendor
3 other passenger cars will be repaired and exteriors painted using outside vendors
Over the next 2 years DL&W 346 will have clerestory window work, repairs and paint in house.

B&M 3713
Developing AutoCAD drawings for the Thermic Syphons
Completed fabricating a reinforcement plate for the throat sheet.
Finalized material list to complete boiler repairs

DL&W 565
VIPs continue to work on engine focusing on the lead truck right now.
Crew was issued hand tools and tool box for use on this project

Len Shaner Co Volunteer Lead and crew developed a new web site for the project at http://projectdlw565.webs.com  
Willard Sturdevant will be the parks point of contact for VIPs working on this project on weekends when the season begins.
Locomotive Shop

Asbestos Abatement on 27 pieces of equipment will begin in March. Expect the restoration shop area to be secured most of the time. They will be using the Hill track through track 3 to perform the work on the equipment. This project has been in the makings since the Mid 1990s and it is great to see it finally happen!

Replace 3 cranes project is still in administrative phase and should go out for bids any day now. The old back shop crane will be kept at the south end of the back shop and used as an interpretive tool. I believe it is the oldest crane in the park.

The King machine and wheel press located in the back shop will be operational soon.  

Our upgraded weld shop is complete and up and running. Included in the upgrade are 2 downdraft weld tables, A Babbitt furnace, A TIG machine, A MIG machine, A plasma cutter, overhead draw fans, overhead crane, wall mounted 18 ft adjustable smoke eaters, new entrance and overhead doors, new air, water, and electric service, the windows were stabilized and or restored, and a complete paint job including encapsulation of lead based paint on ceiling.

Information from www.RYPN.org

Penn Rail Videos
Former Member

« Reply #51 on: Mar 2nd, 2010, 4:16pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Feb 26th, 2010, 11:01am, restore_RV15 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
It's obvious I'm the only one here who wants to see 3713 restored and see something different on the mainline.

You're right. There is not a soul on this forum who wants to see 3713 restored besides you. Most of us would prefer the Reading 2124.

on Feb 26th, 2010, 11:01am, restore_RV15 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Just goes to show what I get for voicing my opinion on a forum.

You're complaining, not giving an opinion. 3713 can't just run at the push of a button; it may take another 5 years to go on the engine for all any of us know. The fact of the matter is that it will be finished at some point.

It's amazing how people think that going on a message board is going to solve their problem. If only life really worked that way.

restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #52 on: Mar 2nd, 2010, 7:55pm »

[quote author=Penn Rail Videos link=board=Steamtown;num=1203734224;start=40#51 date=03/02/10 at 16:16:55]

You're complaining, not giving an opinion. [quote]

I'm not complaining.  Earlier on the board, someone mentioned that in the near future, 26 would be completed then they would start on 3713.  I said define near future, then said wouldn't you think they'd want to work on 3713 first.  Then someone asked why, and I gave my reason.  I'm not complaining.

And in response to the 2124 comment, I said before that I would've rather seen 759 restored first, so stating that I'm the only one who wants 3713 restored is stupid.  I just figure, since they've already started on her, why not get her done soon.  But I said I'm not continuing this and I'm not

Steamtown_Fan_LENNY
Banned User
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #53 on: Mar 3rd, 2010, 12:50pm »

on Mar 2nd, 2010, 4:16pm, Penn Rail Videos wrote:       (Click here for original message)

You're right. There is not a soul on this forum who wants to see 3713 restored besides you. Most of us would prefer the Reading 2124.

You're complaining, not giving an opinion. 3713 can't just run at the push of a button; it may take another 5 years to go on the engine for all any of us know. The fact of the matter is that it will be finished at some point.

It's amazing how people think that going on a message board is going to solve their problem. If only life really worked that way.

That's Right Penn Rail Video, but that fact is neither 2124 or 759 will ever be restored to operation. Their just to big for the railroad, besides they don't fit the table.  
 The locomotive I would like to see be restored to operation would be No. 15 or No. 790 they would be Ideal for running the short or the main line.  

After No. 26 is done then the Steamtown Shop Crew will be focusing on No. 3713 to get done.

The_Former_Fireman
Railfan

« Reply #54 on: Mar 3rd, 2010, 1:09pm »

As a matter of clarification, the 759 will fit on the turntable.  It's wheelbase is just shy of the 90 foot length of the turntable.

Dave Crosby

Steamtown_Fan_LENNY
Banned User
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #55 on: Mar 3rd, 2010, 5:36pm »

Well I was going on the information that Ranger Ken told us, on one of our tours last year.

restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #56 on: Mar 3rd, 2010, 9:41pm »

on Mar 3rd, 2010, 12:50pm, Steamtown_Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)

The locomotive I would like to see be restored to operation would be No. 15 or No. 790 they would be Ideal for running the short or the main line.

I agree completely with this.  I know 759 will never be restored, so I agree that one or two of the Consolidations would be great.  That and DL&W 565.  Get some hometown pride going on.  I seriously think Steamtown should look into restoring 565, since Len and his group are cosmetically restoring everything inside and out on her.  I don't think it would cost that much more once they're done to get her running again.

The_Former_Fireman
Railfan

« Reply #57 on: Mar 3rd, 2010, 10:19pm »

An operational restoration and a cosmetic job are two very different animals.  While the 565 may look nice when it's done, the required boiler work alone would likely run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.  The 565 was on it's last legs when it was test fired on the Black River & Western in the 1960's.  So bad was the condition of the unit that the BR&W founders elected to go with the #60 from Colorado when they began full fledged operation out of Ringoes, NJ.

Dave Crosby

Steamtown_Fan_LENNY
Banned User
Enthusiast
View Profile  

Whippany_RR-013.jpg - 172916 Bytes
« Reply #58 on: Mar 4th, 2010, 3:34pm »

The 565 was more then just test fired on the Black River and Western, it was their main steam power for four years until they got No. 60.  

Mr. Whitehead bought 565 in 1958 from the DMMRR in NY.  all the historical information is on the project 565 web site: http://projectdlw565.webs.com

We were told by Ranger Ken, that 565 could operate again, that the boiler isn't in that bad of shape as once thought.  

I understand that Len and his crew want to show off 565 during the convection this year. It says on their site, that they want to place the smoke box cover and head light back on.  

This photo of 565 looks like more then just a test fire.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (172916 bytes, 1532x1020 pixels)

Click Here to View Image Whippany_RR-013.jpg - 172916 Bytes

mtillger

View Profile  

« Reply #59 on: Mar 4th, 2010, 7:13pm »

Folks,
Settle down a bit, there is more to life than which steam locomotive should or shouldn't be restored. Let the qualified steam people make those decisions after a proper boiler survey has been performed. Nothing is unrestorable if the funds and time are available. I did perform some thickness testing on the 565 when it was at New Hope and it had issues then and I doubt if they healed themselves since.

Mike Tillger
Steam restoration contractor

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »