Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 24th, 2017, 11:47pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register


Steamtown Shop News
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Steamtown
(Moderators: NKP759fan, strasburg90)
   Steamtown Shop News
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  10 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Steamtown Shop News  (Read 10029 times)
bigjim4life
Historian
Posts: 349
Re: Steamtown Shop News
 
« Reply #20 on: Feb 4th, 2010, 11:22pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Jan 28th, 2010, 6:23pm, Max Hamberger wrote:       (Click here for original message)
If you were wondering why the yard is being "cleared" out, so-to-speak, here's why: they are clearing the main tracks in the yard so they can make room for the front display locomotives. If you remember correctly, part of the contract signed for their cosmetic work was the removal of asbestos. In order for them to do this, they are going to be pulling the following locomotives onto those tracks:
-Reading 2124
-GTW 6039
-Rahway Valley 15
-IC 790(presumed, not quite sure if they removed asbestos before they painted her last August)
-A few other locomotives in need of work from around the yard.
 
By moving all of the locomotives receiving this treatment to a central area, work will be much easier. Good to see work is being done to prepare for this process  
-Max

 
Would absolutely love to see photos/video (especially video) of these engines being moved in order to get the work done - someone get up there and do it!!  (too far away here)


Logged
martinm1218
Historian
Posts: 311
Re: Steamtown Shop News
 
« Reply #21 on: Feb 4th, 2010, 11:35pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Feb 4th, 2010, 11:22pm, bigjim4life wrote:       (Click here for original message)

 
Would absolutely love to see photos/video (especially video) of these engines being moved in order to get the work done - someone get up there and do it!!  (too far away here)

 
Yes. Please someone get video's and/or pictures of these locomotives being moved. Thanks!
 
Martin


« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2010, 11:36pm by martinm1218 » Logged

N&W 611 and 1218: The Thoroughbreds of steam.

I also enjoy the NKP, Southern, and VGN.
Here is a link to my youtube videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/m611martin
Max Hamberger
Railfan
Posts: 167
Re: Steamtown Shop News
 
« Reply #22 on: Feb 17th, 2010, 4:58pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Here's another update for y'all:
-Work on 3254 is almost done, and the F.R.A. is coming up to inspect her on March 19th, 2010.
-Due to a manufacturing screw up, 3254 will not be using her new tender body this year.The old one will be used for the 2010 season. Why? Because the builder of the new tender body made the stoker opening too short...whoopsie. She will however, receive her new tender wheels as planned.
-Project 565 is moving along nicely. April 10th is "Tender Day", when the 565's tender will be moved into the backshop so the oil tank can be removed (565 was NOT an oilburner in normal service) and other work can be performed on it. 514 will have the honors of moving it back there.
 
That's all for now, I'll be back with more!
-Max


Logged

Best,
Maxwell Hamberger
Montana State University
School of Film & Photography
Class of 2015
Railfan Entertainments
Historian
Posts: 2980
Re: Steamtown Shop News
 
« Reply #23 on: Feb 17th, 2010, 5:47pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

April 10th? Nice. I may be up there that weekend.

Logged



www.youtube.com/user/railfanentertainment
Max Hamberger
Railfan
Posts: 167
Re: Steamtown Shop News
 
« Reply #24 on: Feb 19th, 2010, 12:44pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

More info for you:
-Work on 26 is progressing nicely, specifically on her firebox. The crew has nearly completed cutting down the staybolts on the box. One step closer to steaming her up  
-As I've mentioned before, work on 3254 is almost complete, and the F.R.A. is coming up to inspect her on March 19th.
-Tomorrow-Saturday, February 20th, 2010-is Project 565's first full-sized workday of the year. Work starts at 7:30 am.
-Once 26 is completed in the near future, the shop will focus entirely (barring any trouble from the already operable locomotives) on B&M 3713. To speed up this already long process, park management is looking into additional funding and manpower for the project.
 
Best,
Max


Logged

Best,
Maxwell Hamberger
Montana State University
School of Film & Photography
Class of 2015
restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

Posts: 178
Re: Steamtown Shop News
 
« Reply #25 on: Feb 20th, 2010, 11:25pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I know its completely random, but its been bugging me for quite some time.  For those of you that have visited the museum and seen that one video where the fireman talks about his job, they have a Lackawanna #1053 steam engine on there.  Any clue as to where the steam engine came from and if its still around and running?

Logged
3254Fan
Historian
View Profile  

Posts: 377
Re: Steamtown Shop News
 
« Reply #26 on: Feb 21st, 2010, 12:53am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

The "Lackawanna 1053" is actually the Chicago Northwestern #1385. It operated at the Mid Continent Railway Museum in North Freedom Wisconsin until 1998. It was quite a classy looking engine. Demo videos for the park's museum were filmed there, using the engine dressed as a Lackawanna steamer and the 4 Lackawanna Boonton cars they have. Wish it were still operating. I was out there this past August and it was quite a sad sight. Sitting in the yard, rusting away with no tarp on it or anything. Though the museum wants to repair it, progress hasn't been made in several years.

Logged

Moderates: East Broad Top
restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

Posts: 178
Re: Steamtown Shop News
 
« Reply #27 on: Feb 21st, 2010, 2:10pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Haha they should bring her to Steamtown and run it as the 1053

Logged
restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

Posts: 178
Re: Steamtown Shop News
 
« Reply #28 on: Feb 21st, 2010, 2:11pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Feb 19th, 2010, 12:44pm, Max Hamberger wrote:       (Click here for original message)
More info for you:
-Work on 26 is progressing nicely, specifically on her firebox. The crew has nearly completed cutting down the staybolts on the box. One step closer to steaming her up  
-As I've mentioned before, work on 3254 is almost complete, and the F.R.A. is coming up to inspect her on March 19th.
-Tomorrow-Saturday, February 20th, 2010-is Project 565's first full-sized workday of the year. Work starts at 7:30 am.
-Once 26 is completed in the near future, the shop will focus entirely (barring any trouble from the already operable locomotives) on B&M 3713. To speed up this already long process, park management is looking into additional funding and manpower for the project.
 
Best,
Max

 
Define near future.  And wouldn't you think they'd want to concentrate their forces on the 3713 first?


Logged
Super_foamer
Historian
View Profile  

Posts: 699
Re: Steamtown Shop News
 
« Reply #29 on: Feb 21st, 2010, 6:48pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Feb 21st, 2010, 2:11pm, restore_RV15 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

 
Define near future.  And wouldn't you think they'd want to concentrate their forces on the 3713 first?

 
 
Explain to me why you think they should focus on the 3713 first.  The 26 being of a smaller size will not require as much fuel at a time since it has a smaller firebox.  The yard shuttles being pulled with larger steamers are consuming more fuel than the 26 would.  Don't agree?  Well think of how big of an area the fire bed needs to be in order to maintain steam pressure.   A good fireman can run with as thin a fire as possible and save fuel, however that is still dependent upon the size of your firebox.  Since the vast majority of steam powered trains are the yard shuttles I can not see how they can justify not having the 26 out and about ASAP.


Logged

"I totally just splooged my pants." ~ rail pacer while he was working on a passenger car.


restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

Posts: 178
Re: Steamtown Shop News
 
« Reply #30 on: Feb 23rd, 2010, 11:09am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Feb 21st, 2010, 6:48pm, Super_foamer wrote:       (Click here for original message)

 
 
Explain to me why you think they should focus on the 3713 first.  The 26 being of a smaller size will not require as much fuel at a time since it has a smaller firebox.  The yard shuttles being pulled with larger steamers are consuming more fuel than the 26 would.  Don't agree?  Well think of how big of an area the fire bed needs to be in order to maintain steam pressure.   A good fireman can run with as thin a fire as possible and save fuel, however that is still dependent upon the size of your firebox.  Since the vast majority of steam powered trains are the yard shuttles I can not see how they can justify not having the 26 out and about ASAP.  

 
They should focus on 3713 more because they make more money on their excursions than they do in the museum.  About 2 weeks ago, I went up to Steamtown and the lady at the desk told me I was the ONLY person in the park.  They made 6 dollars that day, as opposed to the sold out Viaduct run in September at 50 a person.  This should be more than enough reason to focus more on 3713


Logged
restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

Posts: 178
Re: Steamtown Shop News
 
« Reply #31 on: Feb 23rd, 2010, 11:17am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Jan 26th, 2010, 9:37pm, Max Hamberger wrote:       (Click here for original message)
-No welding is going on inside 26's firebox. They're cutting off the ends of the staybolts. Here's some video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjnBONsyiIU
-3713's entire firebox is being rebuilt, not just the top. It's basically corroded from sitting outside all those years, and from the environment she worked in, not due to an operational issue in the '30s.  
-3377's tender had corroded so badly that they scrapped it, as several pictures show. New timers are going to be fitted onto the chassis and 3254's old tank will be placed on it. The trucks from 3377's chassis are going to be put on 3254's chassis.  
-3254 is having a completely new tender built for her by Booksville Locomotive Works, which is based near Pittsburgh. It's going to be made of stainless steel.
-Once the work mentioned above is completed on 3254, the shop crews will begin working on 2317 so she is in top condition for her 5 days of operation in June for the NRHS 2010 Convention. After that, she's going to get a well-deserved rest in the roundhouse until the shop is ready to begin her massive overhaul.
-The "Pullman" mentioned in the above post is a Baltimore & Ohio Business car, and it is privately owned. It's currently sitting behind the shop complex because it needs to be restored.  
-Max

 
Thanks for the update on the 26.  The ranger must have been mistaken


Logged
Super_foamer
Historian
View Profile  

Posts: 699
Re: Steamtown Shop News
 
« Reply #32 on: Feb 23rd, 2010, 11:33am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Feb 23rd, 2010, 11:09am, restore_RV15 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

 
They should focus on 3713 more because they make more money on their excursions than they do in the museum.  About 2 weeks ago, I went up to Steamtown and the lady at the desk told me I was the ONLY person in the park.  They made 6 dollars that day, as opposed to the sold out Viaduct run in September at 50 a person.  This should be more than enough reason to focus more on 3713

 
So do realize they do not run those special trips everyday? In fact I bet if they did they wouldn't sell out. Plus those trips run over CP which has enough traffic to keep this down to a special trip status.  This means that the 3713 wouldn't be used in mainline trips as often and if it were restored before 26 it would be used in yard shuttles where you would be losing money on the extra fuel needed where as if you had the 26 you'd have a locomotive that is more economical for shuttle trips.  THEN after the 26 is already being used on shuttle trips you can restore the 3713 and have a locomotive for the mainline trips you feel Steamtown relies upon to make money.  (Don't forget 3254 already can handle these special trips so there is no need at the time for a locomotive just for them.)  I'm sure even at 50 dollars a ticket this is still not going to show a large profit.  Especially when you take into account of how much maintenance is needed on a larger engine vs. running time.  Please don't tell me I need to bring thermodynamics into this to derive how much more cost effective the 26 would end up being over the 3713 in yard shuttle service.  I have enough homework at the moment.
 
Another thing that makes your point invalid is that you take a time when there aren't any steam locomotives at all running and use the patronage on that day as data to support that running the 3713 is better than running the 26.  If perhaps you had proof that the crowd is proportional to the size of the locomotive that would be one thing but I have yet to see any data that supports this.  Especially when 3254 and 2317 are much larger than locomotives running at near by tourist railroads.  
 
This of course is all on top of the fact that they are much further along in the restoration with the 26 than the 3713.
 


Logged

"I totally just splooged my pants." ~ rail pacer while he was working on a passenger car.


3254Fan
Historian
View Profile  

Posts: 377
Re: Steamtown Shop News
 
« Reply #33 on: Feb 23rd, 2010, 2:00pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Casey is exactly right. How could you justify that running a viaduct excursion in February would bring the park any money at all? It simply wouldn't. It would be a total waste of money. The reason why Steamtown turned its focus to running yard trains and staying in the park was because of how much money they were losing on running excursions. Two trips a day would depart for Moscow with only 100 people on them.  
 
They've been slowly building interest back for excursions by increasing their schedule little by little every year. This season they're running an excursion almost every weekend. I think they may find that even that will be too many trains to run during the summer. In order to generate interest and make profit, you need to make an event more exclusive. Steamtown generally loses money on excursions unless they sell them out. Running in the yard has a lower fuel consumption as Casey said, and generally keeps costs lower. However, Steamtown is running two of the largest steam engines on the east coast to do these short trips which isn't saving them much money at all. Bringing the 26 back asap will allow them to achieve more success with yard shuttles.  
 
Therefore, why is it necessary to have another excursion engine out on the rails draining more financial resources? Sometimes railfans need to take a step back and look at things from an economic perspective instead of saying, "I want that engine to run so why don't they finish it!?"


Logged

Moderates: East Broad Top
565fan
Historian
Posts: 1023
Re: Steamtown Shop News
 
« Reply #34 on: Feb 23rd, 2010, 2:31pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Perhaps another way to approach the situation that RV15 and superfoamer are discussing is to look at Steamtown and all other National Parks as a public service.  Look at a city bus.  It runs regardless of how many riders are on board any specific trip.  A firehouse is rarely busy, but is full of firemen. These services are there regardless of public use, but are necessary when the public needs them. They aren't there to "make money." If a national park was to close just because no one is there, you would miss the opportunity of seeing the park when you want to.  Some people like the solitude, and others like the busy nature of a full day of activity, like a Railfest.  Plus, since there is a staff, someone is there to make the experience, busy or slow, worthwhile.  
 
Because the taxpayers support a place like Steamtown, it belongs to all of them.  They deserve to see what their taxes pay for, just as they deserve to drive on any highway.  The fees charged for entrance and rides at Steamtown only supplement the operating expenses that the Federal budget allocates to the park. The management at the park has an obligation to provide a steam railroading experience.  It also has an obligation not to be a burden on the taxpayer.  Therefore, more trains run when there are more visitors. Schedules are pared back when the ridership or visitation is low.


Logged

www.project3713.com

robertjohndavis
Railfan
View Profile   WWW  

Posts: 225
Re: Steamtown Shop News
 
« Reply #35 on: Feb 24th, 2010, 1:30pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

And a smart operating schedule also uses 1472 days wisely.

Logged


Ahead of the Torch
http://www.robertjohndavis.com/

restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

Posts: 178
Re: Steamtown Shop News
 
« Reply #36 on: Feb 25th, 2010, 1:09pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

In response to 3254's last point, I would've rather seen 759 restored before 3713, so it's not a question wanting it to be restored just to see it restored.
 
Also in response to 3254, since they are increasing the number of excursions to the point that they have one every weekend, you would want another mainline locomotive running, since 2317 is done indefinitely.  Engine 3254 is going to have an extremely hard time managing all those runs (during the last Tobyhanna excursion in October, the engineer told me and a few other people that he was having pressure issues with her) and 26 cannot do these long mainline runs.  
 
Another issue is the fanbase.  Although 3254 and 2713 are beautiful, Steamtown gets a lot of flack for being an National Park that only runs Canadian locomotives.  It would bring in a lot more American railroad fans if there was an American locomotive running the excursions.


Logged
joneau261
Historian
Posts: 3629
Re: Steamtown Shop News
 
« Reply #37 on: Feb 25th, 2010, 3:37pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

The fact of the matter is Steamtown wants to be able to have steam pulling the excursions AND the yard shuttles. The reason to get 26 done is not only to have a smaller and more economic engine on the short train, but also so 3254 (and eventually 3713) doesn't have to be regularly assigned to it. Not only is running a big engine on the yard shuttle uneconomical, but it also uses valuable boiler time- time that could be used on excursions, or being in the roundhouse for repairs to fix these problems that develop.  
 
You mention that Steamtown should have 3713 restored to have an American engine in the operating roster.
 
...................................
 
........WHAT? Does something about "Baldwin Locomotive Works #26" not stand out? Not only is 26 a representative of the many American switch engines that were once common, but it is representative of one of America's biggest builders of steam engines. In my book, that puts it on par with an example of Lima Super Power, be it 3713 or 759
 
- Jonathan


« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2010, 3:38pm by joneau261 » Logged

"Railfans are clingy, complaining dumbsnots who will never ever be grateful for any concession you provide. The moment you shut out their shrill tremulous complaints, the happier you'll be for it.
Incidentally, how about donating to Railfan.net?"
3254Fan
Historian
View Profile  

Posts: 377
Re: Steamtown Shop News
 
« Reply #38 on: Feb 25th, 2010, 4:04pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I can't believe the number of you ignorant railfans that constantly say, "if Steamtown runs an American it will bring in more people, especially railfans."
 
Uhhh, I think you're forgetting that Steamtown isn't a tourist railroad who's existence is for railfans to enjoy. Quite the contrary. Steamtown is a national park with a mission to interpret and preserve the history of steam railroading. National parks are generally attended by families or the general public. When they come to Steamtown and ride a train they don't care what rail line is painted on the tender. All they care about is the fact that it's steam, and some don't even care about that. The park is there for the greater good of history and as an industrial heritage site. You have to learn to accept that.
 
Railfans are the only people who constantly complain about Steamtown, yet they accout for less than 5% of the people who visit the site. It's also ironic that they're the first ones out there chasing Steamtown trains for photos, contributing in no way, shape or form to the success of the operation, and yet they're the first ones who raise their voices to make all of their complaints known. Grow up people, and RV 15, you need to take a step back and look at the whole picture. You have quite a lot to learn bud.


Logged

Moderates: East Broad Top
3254Fan
Historian
View Profile  

Posts: 377
Re: Steamtown Shop News
 
« Reply #39 on: Feb 25th, 2010, 4:10pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Oh and your argument about this excursion season being too much for 3254 is totally invalid. It's a machine...it's what it was built to do. There is plenty of boiler time left on the engine at this point. The day the engineer told you the engine was having pressure issues is not a big deal. I thought you would have known that steam engines have a mind of their own sometimes. They get sick and develop minor issues on a daily or weekly basis. A "pressure issue" can change overnight.

Logged

Moderates: East Broad Top
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  10 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »