Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 26th, 2017, 11:06am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Steamtown Shop News
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Steamtown
(Moderators: NKP759fan, strasburg90)
   Steamtown Shop News
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Steamtown Shop News  (Read 10038 times)
565fan
Historian
Re: Steamtown Shop News

« Reply #160 on: May 3rd, 2011, 10:44pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Apr 3rd, 2011, 6:55pm, restore_RV15 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Any word on when the B-unit will be joining them?

I don't have a photo of the B unit to share, but she looks rough.  She is still in orange and blue CNJ markings.  I don't know the repair/repaint schedule for her, so don't expect the trio to be mated up any time soon.

www.project3713.com

montclaire
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #161 on: May 4th, 2011, 10:30am »

I'm guessing that the B unit is on the same time table as the NJT coaches and EL diner cars...

Any news on the Baldwin?

565fan
Historian

« Reply #162 on: May 4th, 2011, 3:17pm »

on May 4th, 2011, 10:30am, montclaire wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I'm guessing that the B unit is on the same time table as the NJT coaches and EL diner cars...  

Seeing as one group that isn't the NPS owns the F3 B-unit, and another group that isn't the NPS owns the various components of the Erie Lackawanna Dining Car train, I would imagine they are on different timetables.

Baldwin 26 is coming along fine.  Will post updates when there is something to share.

www.project3713.com

SRR90
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #163 on: May 4th, 2011, 4:25pm »

great news, i heard 26 is having her test runs this month

Frank_D
Historian
  11-04-02-0005--r.jpg - 109471 Bytes
« Reply #164 on: May 4th, 2011, 4:59pm »

Jersey Central B unit at Steamtown.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Steamtown/11-04-02-0005--r.jpg
Click Image to Resize

F3_4_me
Historian

« Reply #165 on: May 4th, 2011, 4:59pm »

on Mar 31st, 2011, 10:20pm, 565fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)

... and away she turns.  Her home for the next few weeks will be stall 14.  Both Fs will be in for their 92 day inspection.  663 needs new batteries, and some other mechanical work, 664 needs new wheels, and I believe traction motor work.  When this is all done, they will be blue carded, and moved into the fleet of engines for D-L, and sometimes Steamtown.  No trip dates announced.

The 92 day inspection was delayed by the closing of the park pending the federal budget resolution last month.  We've been catching up on the 664 as time and personal schedules allow.  The 664 has no traction motor issues, and the wheels are legal.  Also, there are no plans to add the F3's to the DL's roster for use.  That only applies to the ARHS' ALCo fleet, and has been done already.  The F's use will be through the NPS.  That being said, thanks for getting these shots and sharing them!  

Also, as has been stated on other forums, we've got plans for an A-A F3 + DL&W coaches photo excursion up to Nay Aug and back in the morning of our sunday convention, and a 1554 + CNJ coaches photo excursion for that afternoon.  Tickets will be sold to ride, and further details will be forthcoming.

Micah

When I joined the ARHS in '92, my occupation was listed as '3rd Grade'.
bigjim4life
Historian

« Reply #166 on: May 4th, 2011, 7:12pm »

on May 4th, 2011, 4:25pm, SRR90 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
great news, i heard 26 is having her test runs this month

Who is your source on this?  Otherwise I don't believe one word of it...

montclaire
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #167 on: May 5th, 2011, 12:08am »

on May 4th, 2011, 3:17pm, 565fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Seeing as one group that isn't the NPS owns the F3 B-unit, and another group that isn't the NPS owns the various components of the Erie Lackawanna Dining Car train, I would imagine they are on different timetables.

I guess my phrasing was a little off.  What I meant is that my understanding is that the purpose of getting all this equipment together is to assemble a full-on recreation of the Phoebe Snow, so the B unit would not be needed until all of the other equipment is brought online, regardless of when the work is done.

Doesn't matter, it's all good news.

« Last Edit: May 5th, 2011, 12:09am by montclaire » Logged
F3_4_me
Historian

« Reply #168 on: May 5th, 2011, 1:22am »

The F3's are in the DL&W Freight scheme.  Look at old photos, you'll see the difference.  

The gathering of equipment is pretty much just a lot of very fortuitous happenstances.  No collaboration between groups, simply different groups with different projects all finding tenancy in Scranton at roughly the same time.  

-Micah

restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #169 on: May 5th, 2011, 2:13pm »

is 1554 coming to Steamtown for awhile, or is she just coming up for the ARHS convention?

F3_4_me
Historian

« Reply #170 on: May 5th, 2011, 4:52pm »

It's now a DL engine, like the rest of the ARHS ALCo's.  The DL is being kind enough to allow use of it for our convention.  They did, after all, spend a heap of their own money getting it back into operation, and shortly, new paint.

-Micah

restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #171 on: May 5th, 2011, 5:04pm »

Pause.  The DL is now going to be using FOUR RS-3s?

F3_4_me
Historian

« Reply #172 on: May 5th, 2011, 5:38pm »

The 1554 has been in service (not necessarily daily use) for a few months now.  I don't live up there and I don't follow things that closely, but I know it's already made a revenue trip to Tobyhanna with one of the Centuries, back in February or March.

-Micah

SRR90
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #173 on: May 5th, 2011, 7:40pm »

on May 4th, 2011, 7:12pm, bigjim4life wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Who is your source on this?  Otherwise I don't believe one word of it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNg43rMhy6o read the comments

bigjim4life
Historian

« Reply #174 on: May 5th, 2011, 9:19pm »

on May 5th, 2011, 7:40pm, SRR90 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNg43rMhy6o read the comments

Seriously?  Considering the next comment posted was from the source itself saying that it wasn't that date?  No dice, dude...it will happen when a reputable source says so on here, or steamtowns website says so.  When I was there a couple months ago, it was nowhere near a May return...later this year is more likely.

Max Hamberger
Railfan

« Reply #175 on: May 5th, 2011, 10:30pm »

on May 5th, 2011, 9:19pm, bigjim4life wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Seriously?  Considering the next comment posted was from the source itself saying that it wasn't that date?  No dice, dude...it will happen when a reputable source says so on here, or steamtowns website says so.  When I was there a couple months ago, it was nowhere near a May return...laterr this year is more likely.

I'd concur with that, based off what little I know. I'm putting my money on a fall return, if it is to happen this year.

Best,
Maxwell Hamberger
Montana State University
School of Film & Photography
Class of 2015
Ashley_John
Historian

« Reply #176 on: May 5th, 2011, 10:41pm »

on May 5th, 2011, 9:19pm, bigjim4life wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Seriously?  Considering the next comment posted was from the source itself saying that it wasn't that date?  No dice, dude...it will happen when a reputable source says so on here, or steamtowns website says so.  When I was there a couple months ago, it was nowhere near a May return...later this year is more likely.

There was some optimistic conversation last year that the hope was to TRY and have the 26 ready by the end of May. Things come up and plans change. Even though the best efforts and intentions are put forth, the May date isn't going to happen. NO completion date has been officially announced.  

JP

Riding the rails of the past via media and exploration.
montclaire
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #177 on: May 25th, 2011, 2:54pm »

It looks like they're playing musical coaches again; four really rough looking examples are lined up side by side behind the sand tower.  They're the high topped CNJ style, not the more squat DL&Ws.  One looks to be wearing the (little) remnants of EL paint, I hope it wasn't one of the excursion coaches that they've allowed to get that bad while in their care.  

Why are they holding onto the canternary cars?  There has to be at least three of them there.

mike_nepa
Historian
  IMAG1075_Medium_Small.jpg - 65822 Bytes
« Reply #178 on: Jun 4th, 2011, 7:57am »

Here is a picture of it running the Carbondale Branch on 3-25-11. It surprised me to see it, first time I saw this one, I thought it was one of their other RS3's

Mike

on May 5th, 2011, 5:38pm, F3_4_me wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The 1554 has been in service (not necessarily daily use) for a few months now.  I don't live up there and I don't follow things that closely, but I know it's already made a revenue trip to Tobyhanna with one of the Centuries, back in February or March.

-Micah

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Steamtown/IMAG1075_Medium_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2011, 7:57am by mike_nepa » Logged
mike_nepa
Historian
  IMAG1466_Small.jpg - 50252 Bytes
« Reply #179 on: Jun 4th, 2011, 8:01am »

Picture from 5-27-11 showing its new paint. The engines were pushing the cars (about 10 empty lumber cars) through the crossing.  

Mike

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Steamtown/IMAG1466_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »