Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 28th, 2017, 6:07am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Steamtown Shop News
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Steamtown
(Moderators: NKP759fan, strasburg90)
   Steamtown Shop News
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Steamtown Shop News  (Read 10052 times)
Max Hamberger
Railfan
Re: Steamtown Shop News

« Reply #100 on: May 30th, 2010, 5:29pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on May 26th, 2010, 8:06pm, 565fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
It didn't look like primer to me, Max.  It looked like the stainless untouched.  I could see all the welds on the outside, that a coat of primer would hide. I'll see if I have a photo, and we can let that be our "proof" until our next time there.

You'll have to forgive my eyes, never have been too good.  Either way it's lookin' swell, nice to see something new for ol' 3254. Hopefully I'll be down for Railfest 2010 to see it, but unfortunately I can't make the Convention anymore. I do know however, that I will there no matter what when 2317 rolls out of that shop rebuilt!  

Best,
Maxwell Hamberger
Montana State University
School of Film & Photography
Class of 2015
Max Hamberger
Railfan

« Reply #101 on: Jun 5th, 2010, 12:51pm »

Hate to double post BUT I received this information on Thursday:
565 is level again! Gary P. Bensman and his guys worked on her Thursday. She's all ready for new bolts to be installed. They'll be working on her Friday(yesterday) too. She'll be looking fine on Saturday(today)!. Plus they are moving the T-1 on Saturday(today) to the back of the shop!

-Max

Best,
Maxwell Hamberger
Montana State University
Class of 2015
restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #102 on: Jun 13th, 2010, 5:36pm »

Well, it's official.  PRR 1361 will no longer be restored to operating conditions.  FRA regulations and lack of a place to run her (saw that one coming)  has made Altoona decide to only restore it to semi-static display.

wrg113
Railfan

« Reply #103 on: Jun 13th, 2010, 6:07pm »

Please site your source for your "official" statement on such a touchy subject. Thanks.

Take my advice. Don't ever work at a Thomas event.
bigjim4life
Historian

« Reply #104 on: Jun 13th, 2010, 6:41pm »

on Jun 13th, 2010, 6:07pm, wrg113 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Please site your source for your "official" statement on such a touchy subject. Thanks.

Indeed, RV15.  Give us your source, give us hard facts, links to prove it, etc. etc.  Don't just come out with a statement this controversial, without backing it up.

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #105 on: Jun 13th, 2010, 8:35pm »

This is the most recent item of news I can find, it sounds a great deal nicer then what was previously reported.

http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/529033.html

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #106 on: Jun 14th, 2010, 9:29am »

I found this on the same site as the previous post; however it was written a week before that one.  They are restoring her to static display, but I guess getting her moving is still the goal.  Sorry to any people I pissed off or offended with this.

http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/529033.html

565fan
Historian

« Reply #107 on: Jun 14th, 2010, 11:26am »

I will say that no one really "knows" what will become of the K-4, even the parties involved.  They might have a plan, but that won't necessarily bring about a restoration.

Even quoting a newspaper column isn't much in the line of "fact-checking."  The news article is written by a news reporter because it is News.  Today's news means nothing tomorrow.  The news is always changing.  Just think of any quote in history, reported in the news.  When FDR said that "prosperity is just around the corner" in 1933, he might have meant it, but he never lived to see it.  He saw more depression, war and a stock market crash in 1937 to eliminate the stability he worked for.  

I'm sure the managers of the ARRMM want to have the K-4 restored, but they first need a place built to store it, and money to restore it, and a place to run it. Also, they need to gather the remaining parts back together.  These are big things to accomplish before we see her run.

www.project3713.com

restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #108 on: Jun 15th, 2010, 4:18pm »

on slightly less controversial news, 2317 will be fired up on thursday.

3254Fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #109 on: Jun 15th, 2010, 4:44pm »

No, that is incorrect. It will be fired up next Wednesday for the NRHS Convention Night Photo session and will remain under steam Thursday and Friday of next week.

Moderates: East Broad Top
Max Hamberger
Railfan

« Reply #110 on: Jun 15th, 2010, 5:02pm »

on Jun 15th, 2010, 4:44pm, 3254Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
No, that is incorrect. It will be fired up next Wednesday for the NRHS Convention Night Photo session and will remain under steam Thursday and Friday of next week.

Wish I could make it! Originally could, but due to scheduling conflicts, I no longer can   Grab some good pictures guys!   We rarely get to see 2317 at night, and she'll be down for a rather long time....wish I could be there to see it,

Best,
Maxwell Hamberger
Montana State University
Class of 2015
restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #111 on: Jun 15th, 2010, 6:00pm »

on Jun 15th, 2010, 4:44pm, 3254Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I was up there today, and was told that she will be fired up on Thursday.  Unless the roundhouse and shop people are lying to me, I'm assuming this is correct

Max Hamberger
Railfan

« Reply #112 on: Jun 15th, 2010, 7:17pm »

on Jun 15th, 2010, 6:00pm, restore_RV15 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I was up there today, and was told that she will be fired up on Thursday.  Unless the roundhouse and shop people are lying to me, I'm assuming this is correct

Perhaps she will be fired up this Thursday, but only as a test fire? To work out any possible kinks before the Convention?

Best,
Maxwell Hamberger
Montana State University
Class of 2015
3254Fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #113 on: Jun 15th, 2010, 9:04pm »

Test fires don't really prove that an engine is capable of operation unles there's water in the boiler. If there's water in the boiler, then it counts as one of the five days that the engine has left.

Yes rv_15, I'm saying you're incorrect. I have other sources at the park as I was a volunteer for many years and am currently working with the park for the NRHS Convention. The engine will only be used for three days during the convention, as the park is saving two days for Railfest.

Do you live at the park and creep around on a regular basis rv_15?

Moderates: East Broad Top
Max Hamberger
Railfan

« Reply #114 on: Jun 15th, 2010, 9:23pm »

on Jun 15th, 2010, 9:04pm, 3254Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Test fires don't really prove that an engine is capable of operation unles there's water in the boiler. If there's water in the boiler, then it counts as one of the five days that the engine has left.

Whoops! Sorry, my mistake!  

Now, for some new news! As of right now, Rahway Vallet No. 15 is sitting in the backshop, having her asbestos removed. She is currently detached from her tender. Outside, Reading No. 2124 and GTW No. 6039 are sitting on Track 7. Photos to follow soon!

« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2010, 10:19pm by Max Hamberger » Logged

Best,
Maxwell Hamberger
Montana State University
Class of 2015
restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #115 on: Jun 15th, 2010, 11:22pm »

on Jun 15th, 2010, 9:04pm, 3254Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Yes rv_15, I'm saying you're incorrect. I have other sources at the park as I was a volunteer for many years and am currently working with the park for the NRHS Convention. The engine will only be used for three days during the convention, as the park is saving two days for Railfest.

Do you live at the park and creep around on a regular basis rv_15?

I go up there when I can.  This is the first time in several months, so the accusation isn't necessary.

I was up there today, I saw guys working on her, I asked one if she was gonna run one last time, and he said they were firing her up on Thursday, which was concurred later by the shop tour guide.  I didn't say she was going to go and run a bunch of trips.  I simply said I was told they were firing her up.  Don't jump down my throat about it.  It was like the 1361 thing I posted earlier.  I simply said what I heard, which if I remember correctly, was part of the basis of this thread, anything we heard, and everyone flipped out on me about it.  I don't pretend to know everything there is to know about Steamtown; I know very little.  I just report what I hear.  That's all.

restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #116 on: Jun 15th, 2010, 11:26pm »

And plus, I don't have luxary of having a bunch of friends at Steamtown to feed me all my info.  I have to get my information somehow, so if I do creep around on a regular basis, who cares?  I stay out of the areas I'm not allowed in, and no one says anything.

Max Hamberger
Railfan
  shop1.jpg - 64475 Bytes
« Reply #117 on: Jun 16th, 2010, 9:41pm »

As promised, pictures from my last update post. Enjoy!

Let's start off with GTW No. 6039, sitting on Track 7 outside the shop, boy she's a big loco!  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Steamtown/shop1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Best,
Maxwell Hamberger
Montana State University
Class of 2015
Max Hamberger
Railfan
  shop2.jpg - 44076 Bytes
« Reply #118 on: Jun 16th, 2010, 9:41pm »

Sitting behind her, the equally huge Reading No. 2124!  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Steamtown/shop2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Best,
Maxwell Hamberger
Montana State University
Class of 2015
Max Hamberger
Railfan
  shop3.jpg - 37232 Bytes
« Reply #119 on: Jun 16th, 2010, 9:42pm »

A wider shot of the two of them really gives you an idea of how big they are...

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Steamtown/shop3.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Best,
Maxwell Hamberger
Montana State University
Class of 2015
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »