Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 20th, 2017, 4:45am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Steamtown Shop News
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Steamtown
(Moderators: NKP759fan, strasburg90)
   Steamtown Shop News
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...  10 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Steamtown Shop News  (Read 10169 times)
strasburg90
Historian
Steamtown Shop News

« on: Feb 22nd, 2008, 9:37pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Since most of the other tourist railroad boards have a news topic for what is currently going on in their shops, I decided to make one for Steamtown. Heres the place where you can post any news or rumors you hear from the shop(but if it's only a rumor please let us know so we don't just "assume" things!) So whether it has to do with a piece of rolling stock, or one of those big beautiful steamers, post here!

TOP 10 STEAMERS!
565fan
Historian
Re: Steamtown Shop News

« Reply #1 on: Feb 23rd, 2008, 1:32am »

If I can add a bit to Strasburg90's request, when you take a shop tour, post your report, however factual or deceptive. From time to time, the rangers and VIPs can stumble over the words or say the right terms but give the wrong meaning. Your reports will point this out, and we readers can clarify some details on the actual work being done.  Posting about what you want to be done isn't as exciting as the work underway.  

Thanks, that's my 2 cents for now.

www.project3713.com

strasburg90
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Feb 23rd, 2008, 11:41pm »

Sounds good 565fan. Im' hoping to get up to Steamtown this Summer for a day or two and get some shop news, but until then I am counting on you guys.

TOP 10 STEAMERS!
565fan
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 12:15am »

Steamtown's GP-9 no. 514 is getting 2 of her traction motors changed out this week, beginning Monday, Mar. 10.  The other two were changed out last summer. This is expected to be a 3 day project, unless bad springs or other things show up.  Last week, she had fluids changed, and she was cleaned in preparation for the motor changing.  Her truck is over the drop pit.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Mar 21st, 2008, 12:52pm »

NKP no. 514 is back in the roundhouse, and her wheels/trucks are doing fine.  She made an appearance on the turntable yesterday, moving the LV 353 out of the roundhouse a bit, so maintenance workers could repair the heating system.  By 3:30, both were back in their stalls.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Jun 9th, 2008, 12:05am »

Central RR of New Jersey combine no. 303 has been in the shop since the last Holiday Express train, and is being re-done inside and out.  She has a new port-o-lav installed, which required her door to be changed to open outward instead of inward.  She has a new coat of paint.  As you are reading this, she is getting her windows repaired.  She may be ready in time for the June 29th excursion to Tobyhanna.  Enjoy the ride in this 83-year old beauty.

www.project3713.com

Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #6 on: Jun 9th, 2008, 2:53pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Great News!

I hope to ride in her dureing my July trip to Tobahana, with Railcamp

Anthony

flanger
Enthusiast

« Reply #7 on: Jun 30th, 2008, 4:00pm »

I just enjoyed another day at Steamtown riding the excursion to Delaware Water Gap.  

I noticed that the engines on outside display are looking pretty bad. Is the NPS budgeting some cosmetic paint jobs into their plans?

Are the active cars going to receive new paint eventually?

This was probably my 6th trip to Steamtown since it opened and I hope to keep coming back............

The_Former_Fireman
Railfan

« Reply #8 on: Jun 30th, 2008, 6:04pm »

Flanger

You're right, they are looking a little shabby in the parking lot aren't they?  I notice every day on my way to work at the DL.  I also know they are cycling in passenger cars for paint, with the CNJ 303 (combine) due out any minute now...

Dave

Anthony_RMLI
Former Member

« Reply #9 on: Jun 30th, 2008, 6:48pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Great to hear. I can't wait  to see the diffrence in color compared to the other cars when the combine comes out!

Anthony

565fan
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Apr 23rd, 2009, 2:27pm »

I happened to be at the Mall at Steamtown yesterday, when I heard the horn of NKP 514.  She was backing through the yard with the 10:30 Scranton Limited.  I took a photo with my camera phone, and only captured the Geep through the trees.  However, I noticed that the baggage doors of combine 303 are now the color of the rest of the car.  I don't know if it was the old doors repainted, or new /repaired doors.  Nice to see her one consistent color again.

www.project3713.com

Project565
Chaser

« Reply #11 on: Jun 23rd, 2009, 12:05pm »

Hi all,
 I volunteer at Steamtown. I'm the lead for Project 565 Cosmetic Restore while our first lead is serving in the US. Air Force over seas for one year. I took this video this past Saturday while I was there working our hometown gal.
Len.

Steamtown N H S Shop Tour June 20, 2009 video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSbNAyiXuzg

Help Cosmetic Restore DL&W 565!PS. Henry set up this account for this project,
565fan
Historian

« Reply #12 on: Nov 1st, 2009, 11:24pm »

Along with the other projects that have been in discussion about Steamtown, there will be a lot of shop activity for the next several months, if not years.  DL&W MU coaches no. 330, 334, 335 and 345 are all having their heating system changed out, over to steam heat.  While this work is going on, the seats are being redone, with the years of paint to be sandblasted off, and new coats applied, in the original colors.  In addition, the clerestory windows are being cleaned of dirt and paint.  Restroom upgrades will take place at the same time, and I hope end door repairs, too.  

DL&W Boonton coach no. 589 is getting major repairs to her trucks, including new springs that arrived back in September.  She will also get body work.  Would it be too much to ask for end door repairs on her, too? LOL

In the upcoming months, the asbestos abatement project, talked about since 2004 or earlier, will finally get underway.  Funds are becoming available for this in this year's budget.  Each display locomotive will get the asbestos removed, some cosmetic repairs and then return to display areas.  I plan to post photos as these things develop.

www.project3713.com

restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #13 on: Jan 26th, 2010, 7:06pm »

As of Jan. 26, work is moving along in the Steamtown shops.

BLW #26: Welding is taking place inside the firebox.
CN #3254: Having her annual inspection.  Tender is being replace due to leak in the water tank.
BM #3713: Due to a clerical error made back in 1936, the top of the firebox has been removed and may need to be remade.
CN #3377: Tender has been removed and scrapped down the the frame.  Due to the leak in 3254's tender, a new tender has been ordered and made and Steamtown is looking into whether 3377's tender frame or 3254's frame is sturdier.  Whichever is will be used on 3254 and the other will be put back with 3377

Question:  Does anyone know what that (looks like a) Pullman covered in tarp behind the shop is and what it's for?

Max Hamberger
Railfan

« Reply #14 on: Jan 26th, 2010, 9:37pm »

-No welding is going on inside 26's firebox. They're cutting off the ends of the staybolts. Here's some video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjnBONsyiIU
-3713's entire firebox is being rebuilt, not just the top. It's basically corroded from sitting outside all those years, and from the environment she worked in, not due to an operational issue in the '30s.  
-3377's tender had corroded so badly that they scrapped it, as several pictures show. New timers are going to be fitted onto the chassis and 3254's old tank will be placed on it. The trucks from 3377's chassis are going to be put on 3254's chassis.  
-3254 is having a completely new tender built for her by Booksville Locomotive Works, which is based near Pittsburgh. It's going to be made of stainless steel.
-Once the work mentioned above is completed on 3254, the shop crews will begin working on 2317 so she is in top condition for her 5 days of operation in June for the NRHS 2010 Convention. After that, she's going to get a well-deserved rest in the roundhouse until the shop is ready to begin her massive overhaul.
-The "Pullman" mentioned in the above post is a Baltimore & Ohio Business car, and it is privately owned. It's currently sitting behind the shop complex because it needs to be restored.  
-Max

« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2010, 9:52pm by Max Hamberger » Logged

Best,
Maxwell Hamberger
Montana State University
School of Film & Photography
Class of 2015
martinm1218
Historian
  2006_Steamtown_observation.jpg - 83685 Bytes
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26th, 2010, 9:51pm »

on Jan 26th, 2010, 7:06pm, restore_RV15 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Question:  Does anyone know what that (looks like a) Pullman covered in tarp behind the shop is and what it's for?

Is this the car you were talking about? I know it is from 2006 and it isn't that great of quality.

Martin

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Steamtown/2006_Steamtown_observation.jpg
Click Image to Resize

N&W 611 and 1218: The Thoroughbreds of steam.

I also enjoy the NKP, Southern, and VGN.
Here is a link to my youtube videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/m611martin
565fan
Historian

« Reply #16 on: Jan 26th, 2010, 10:05pm »

That is the car.  It is no. 903.  It was built for the Vice President of the Baltimore and Ohio Southwestern RR.  Originally made as a wooden car, she was clad with steel later in life and then modernized with air conditioning.  She has a leaky roof at the very least, and is in line for restoration with everything else. But there are other priorities, and she will have to wait.

www.project3713.com

restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #17 on: Jan 27th, 2010, 6:30pm »

That's the one thats completely wrapped in tarp behind the shop?  I didn't get a chance to look under the tarp.

wwrrvolunteer
Railfan

« Reply #18 on: Jan 27th, 2010, 7:53pm »

Wow the tender is getting replaced on the 54 aye? The ranger was totally off!

Was up there last Saturday and noticed that most if not all of the wooden cars have been moved over near the shay. Does anyone know if they are getting ready for restoration? Most of them look way too far gone to be salvageable. The yard looks a lot emptier with them moved since I was up there last...

Thanks for explaining that its the B&O car under the tarp - thought it was the other business car, but then saw it in the roundhouse and was racking my brain all day about what it was

Cheers,  
Mark

Max Hamberger
Railfan

« Reply #19 on: Jan 28th, 2010, 6:23pm »

If you were wondering why the yard is being "cleared" out, so-to-speak, here's why: they are clearing the main tracks in the yard so they can make room for the front display locomotives. If you remember correctly, part of the contract signed for their cosmetic work was the removal of asbestos. In order for them to do this, they are going to be pulling the following locomotives onto those tracks:
-Reading 2124
-GTW 6039
-Rahway Valley 15
-IC 790(presumed, not quite sure if they removed asbestos before they painted her last August)
-A few other locomotives in need of work from around the yard.

By moving all of the locomotives receiving this treatment to a central area, work will be much easier. Good to see work is being done to prepare for this process  
-Max

« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2010, 6:24pm by Max Hamberger » Logged

Best,
Maxwell Hamberger
Montana State University
School of Film & Photography
Class of 2015
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...  10 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »