Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 20th, 2017, 4:37am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Engine Disscusion: GTW #6039
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Steamtown
(Moderators: NKP759fan, strasburg90)
   Engine Disscusion: GTW #6039
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Engine Disscusion: GTW #6039  (Read 1956 times)
mike_tillger

View Profile  

Re: Engine Disscusion: GTW #6039

« Reply #40 on: May 27th, 2011, 12:16pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

All the work included in the scope of work for the asbestos abatement project has been completed and all removed parts are now reinstalled. Cosmetic restoration of the entire locomotive was not a part of that program, I would guess probably because of funding source issues. I am sure they will be repainted and lettered as time and funds permit.
My opinion only,
Mike Tillger

montclaire
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #41 on: May 27th, 2011, 12:31pm »

I thought that repainting the engines/replacing jacketing was part of the abatement program?  Did it run over budget?  I know they had let the first contractor go, are they only waiting on a replacement?  To do the abatement, yet not repaint the engines seems to be a waste.  

The fact that the abatement program and repainting of the engines was to happen concurrently and cover most of the museum's collection was pretty much a vindiaction of Steamtown management in response to Pevsner's accusations.  

I hope for all our sakes that you are wrong in the assumption that the remaining engines will not be repainted.  Now was certainly the time to do it.

« Last Edit: May 27th, 2011, 12:33pm by montclaire » Logged
Max Hamberger
Railfan

« Reply #42 on: May 27th, 2011, 6:44pm »

on May 27th, 2011, 12:31pm, montclaire wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I thought that repainting the engines/replacing jacketing was part of the abatement program?  Did it run over budget?  I know they had let the first contractor go, are they only waiting on a replacement?  To do the abatement, yet not repaint the engines seems to be a waste.  

The fact that the abatement program and repainting of the engines was to happen concurrently and cover most of the museum's collection was pretty much a vindiaction of Steamtown management in response to Pevsner's accusations.  

I hope for all our sakes that you are wrong in the assumption that the remaining engines will not be repainted.  Now was certainly the time to do it.

If I recall correctly, the locomotives that have had their asbestos removed will in fact be painted. However, as I'm sure you realize, this is very different from completely cosmetically restoring a locomotive. Hopefully, they will paint the remaining engines-Lord knows years of Northern winters (in particular this one) haven't been good to them.

Best,
Maxwell Hamberger
Montana State University
School of Film & Photography
Class of 2015
montclaire
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #43 on: Jul 1st, 2011, 2:13am »

Does 6039 have her original whistle?  If not...

http://reading.craigslist.org/atq/2425888998.html

montclaire
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #44 on: Oct 31st, 2012, 1:25am »

on Dec 31st, 2009, 12:00am, Max Hamberger wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Her steam chest is also cracked, sadly beyond repair   Shame really, I'd love to see her pound the rails up the grade to Moscow and beyond

What, exactly, would be required to repair the steam chest?

Also, 6039 is now being kept in the roundhouse, under cover.  Could this be a good sign?  Steamtown tends to keep only its road engines or valued pieces inside, ie 2317, 3254, 759, and now 6039....

« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2012, 1:39am by montclaire » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »