Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 13th, 2017, 6:21am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Lackawanna & Wyoming Valley Chapter, NRHS
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Steamtown
(Moderators: NKP759fan, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Lackawanna & Wyoming Valley Chapter, NRHS  (Read 1543 times)
565fan
Historian

« on: Aug 23rd, 2005, 3:33pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

This is the name of the group raising funds for the Boston & Maine 3713.  Since 1995, they have raised, in grants and cold hard cash, almost $1 million for the restoration.  They also manage the operations at the Moscow, PA station.   With the steam excursions returning to Moscow for 5 trips in October, it will be their chance to shine again.  Since they aren't a tourist railroad, I thought the Steamtown Forum would be a good place to post our comments and questions.  

www.project3713.com

NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Lackawanna & Wyoming Valley Chapter, NRHS

« Reply #1 on: Aug 23rd, 2005, 3:40pm »

I really have to give it to you guys, you raised an unbelieable amount of money for the 3713 project, but still have a ways to go. You guys really made the right choice with the 3713 and I really can't wait to see it operational, some people criticize the decision because they say it's going to be a slippery engine, it may be but with the aid of the booster, if could easily get the train started and keep it up to speed. What was the 3713 being used for in the 50's? I don't know what year that passenger service came to an end on the B&M, but I think that the passenger service was on it's way out, any info on this?

Nickel Plate Road "Berkshire" #759
Built: August 1944
Builder: Lima Locomotives Works
Driver diameter: 69 inches
Boiler Pressure: 245
Coal: 22 tons
Water: 22,000 gallons
Retired: 1958
Used on the famous High Iron Excursions
http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/steamtown/shs2o.htm
565fan
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Aug 30th, 2005, 5:05pm »

Unfortunately, I only have the same info. that you have.  Has 3713 come up as a topic on the B&M threads?  I'll have to investigate.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Dec 5th, 2005, 1:22pm »

Just to liven up this thread a bit.  Santa Claus, who is making the rounds of almost every railroad area, will make an appearance at both Tobyhanna Station and Moscow Station on Saturday, Dec 10, 2005.  He will take a short train of a D-L diesel and one of their cabooses, making a one hour stop at each station.  Santa arrives at Tobyhanna at 11:00 AM and Moscow at 1:00 PM.  I don't know what is offered at Toby, but the L&WV will have free cocoa for the children and all other items for sale.  Not sure what Santa has in mind for good boys and girls. Check out the new 2006 calendar while you are there.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Sep 22nd, 2009, 11:51am »

This past weekend, and on Monday, Sept 21, members of the chapter have spent time cleaning and repainting the railing of the Freight station.  I hope when you take the train this October, you will notice the change.  Also, when the time comes, take a look inside the station to see the HO modular layout in operation.  Pretty neat.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Apr 28th, 2010, 11:34pm »

A good friend of mine, former chapter president (1980-82), and renowned photographer Ed Miller passed away this past Friday, April 23.  

I attended his viewing in Pittston yesterday, and at 9:30 this morning, when Nickel Plate Road no. 514 came on the turntable, the crew blew a long horn blast in his honor.  The funeral was taking place at the same time.  While the single note of the diesel air horn isn't quite as melodic as the whistle on a steam locomotive, the memory of Mr. Miller will stick with us at Steamtown for a very long time.

www.project3713.com

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Apr 30th, 2010, 5:45pm »

It was sad to hear of Ed's passing. I didn't know him but have enjoyed several of his pictures he took now published in books. I was a bit dismayed the local papers made no mention of this except for the obituary.  

Mike

565fan
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Aug 3rd, 2010, 11:42pm »

The chapter had an open house at the Moscow Station tonight as part of the Moscow Night Out activities.  This is an annual event where the police, ambulance, fire department and other businesses open their doors to the public.  Mostly families with small children showed up at the train station, over 100 through the evening.

The most exciting part was when a D-L freight train from Pocono Summit came through.  I hope to add photos when I get them on the computer.

« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2010, 12:00am by 565fan » Logged

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Feb 26th, 2012, 12:17pm »

The success of the 2010 convention has led the chapter to take on its first fully public excursion since 1993.  Coordinating with the Reading & Northern, they will offer a rare mileage excursion on May 5, 2012.  

This is a full day train beginning in Port Clinton and heading to Mahanoy City. Former Lehigh Valley SW8s (in green R&N livery) will haul some hoppers, a caboose and coaches.  Photo runbys will be part of the trip, too.

www.project3713.com

ozzman4
Chaser

« Reply #9 on: Feb 26th, 2012, 8:16pm »

Should I just print this out to send in for my tickets

565fan
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Feb 26th, 2012, 10:05pm »

Either way will work.  If you would like to print it, that is okay.
But if you want to send a check and a short note, it will go to the proper account.  
See you there.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Mar 12th, 2012, 12:00am »

Here is an updated version of the order form.  Tickets are selling very well.  The cab spaces were sold out as of today, and at least three tickets for the caboose are still available.  Open coach seating and regular coach are selling well, too.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #12 on: Mar 14th, 2012, 10:04am »

I was told yesterday that the caboose spaces are now sold out.  
The open air car may be close to halfway sold, and we have about one of the four coaches filled.  Plenty of time left to get your ticket, but don't wait too long.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #13 on: Mar 28th, 2012, 10:58am »

One of the many projects undertaken by the chapter was the scanning and cataloging of the Ed Miller photo collection.  The chapter acquired a high quality slide scanner and a computer dedicated to the project.  This would prevent other programs from possibly crashing the process of scanning the photos.  
At the chapter board meeting this past Monday, March 26, the member who did the scanning of over 15,000 Ed Miller slides, and transferred them to gold CDs, handed over the images to the board for safe keeping in a bank deposit box.
The original images have been allocated to a few museums as indicated by Mr. Miller's will.  
The scanning of the black and white negatives has just begun.  This is part of the establishment of what would hopefully become a transportation archive for Northeastern PA that the chapter is taking part to develop.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Apr 15th, 2012, 12:46pm »

Ticket update from the special excursion committee:
While the cab rides and caboose seats are sold out  there are still 155 coach and 64 open air car seats available.  Sales are strong, and most are from out of state.
Don't fret if your tickets have not reached the mailbox yet.  We will get them in our mailbox this week.  

Let your friends know about this rare trip, and we look forward to seeing you there.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #15 on: Apr 23rd, 2012, 7:09am »

The tickets are in the mail Actually, you may have heard that line before, but the committee told me they hit the post office on Friday, April 20. You might see yours in the mailbox today.

www.project3713.com

ozzman4
Chaser

« Reply #16 on: Apr 23rd, 2012, 10:50pm »

My tickets were in my mailbox on Saturday, can't wait,  see you all there

OCtrainguy
Chaser
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #17 on: Apr 24th, 2012, 9:34am »

I got my tickets yesterday.  My son and I are looking forward to this excursion!

565fan
Historian

« Reply #18 on: Apr 24th, 2012, 10:23pm »

A note about the tickets...
They were printed with a departure time of 9 AM.  The trail will still leave Port Clinton at 11.  Not a problem for those who arrive early..  Those who show up late... I can't help you there.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #19 on: May 6th, 2012, 12:58pm »

Thank you first and foremost to all who attended. Thanks also to the Reading & Northern Railroad for a perfectly timed operation, and to the Lackawanna & Wyoming Valley Chapter members for organizing such a well executed event! Bravo!!!

Some of the freshly painted locomotives sitting outside the Port Clinton shops.

... and one needing a fresh coat.  Probably some more work than that, too.  

One of the sights outside the window.  We were going to North Reading first to reposition the locomotives, plus take in some higher speed (45 mph) rare track mileage.

Passing under the former PRR route in Hamburg, PA. This portion is a recreational trail.  
 More photos later.

www.project3713.com

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »