Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 9:32am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Engine Discussion: CP 2317
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Steamtown
(Moderators: NKP759fan, strasburg90)
   Engine Discussion: CP 2317
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Engine Discussion: CP 2317  (Read 7539 times)
565fan
Historian
Re: Engine Discussion: CP 2317

« Reply #120 on: Jan 14th, 2008, 7:06pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

January 2008 update:

All systems are "go" for returning this attractive Pacific back for the season.  The dry pipe is okay, and the gang is conducting the firebox inspection on the staybolts.  Very often when this inspection is done, a few bad bolts are found.  Each one takes about 8 hours to remove, tap or ream the hole for a replacement, and then install the replacement.  So if there are 10 bad bolts, expect the repair to take 10 work-days to fix.  That is too simple an equation, since the lagging and boiler jacket, gauges and cab appliances will still need to be put back on.  

She also needs her annual inspection on the pistons, the steamdome and throttle box.  The throttle box is being inspected as we speak.  No flaws that I am aware of.

www.project3713.com

Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #121 on: Jan 15th, 2008, 3:58pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Not to insult Steamtown or anything but it seems that 2317 never runs for more than a month at a time. I know Steamers are high maintenance, but this seems a little odd

Anthony

« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2008, 4:02pm by anthonyd_SRR » Logged
NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #122 on: Jan 15th, 2008, 4:39pm »

And this question may have been answered elsewhere, but will it ever run a main line trip again?

Sad to see it just lugging around the yard excursions

565fan
Historian

« Reply #123 on: Jan 16th, 2008, 12:16am »

on Jan 15th, 2008, 3:58pm, Anthony_SRR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Not to insult Steamtown or anything but it seems that 2317 never runs for more than a month at a time. I know Steamers are high maintenance, but this seems a little odd

Anthony

I suppose it is more a case of what will go wrong next.  I might have said it before on this thread, but you need 100% of the locomotive in good running order... 97% just won't do.  That was the case with the wheels, the leaking superheaters, the troublesome bearings, and all the other difficulties she's experienced in the last year.  They aren't repairing the same part over and over.  But since they need to fix different parts on the same locomotive, it seems like no real progress.  Another thing is you don't know how well the repairs will mesh until they steam her up and try again.  Depending on how well the winter goes, we may see her on the main in 2008, but steaming in the yard is okay by me, too.  The more steam, and the less diesel, the better.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #124 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 12:07am »

March 2008 update:
2317's annual inspection, and firebox staybolt inspection is coming along nicely, and may be done ahead of schedule (meaning before her first trips on April 19).  A few flexible staybolts were in good condition, but their sleeves or caps were shot, so the whole bolt assembly was replaced in these areas.  This is a normal part of the inspection, done every 2 years or so.  Her throttle box inspection showed little wear, and the pieces may be installed this week, for a hydrostatic test later this month.  I'm not sure on specific dates.

When all parts are back in place, they plan to use this pre-season time to really break her in and make her road worthy.  This is time they just never had last year, leading to so many days of her being out of service... or pressed into yard service, with so-so results.  A steam locomotive is an amazing machine because so many parts are just balanced on one another.  The force of its movement is always tipping the balance one way or another.  If you can understand this balancing act, you can figure out how to predict wear and tear, plus determine where the balance needs counter balance.  This comes down to a combination of knowing basic math and complicated calculus... Yet another balancing act.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #125 on: Apr 16th, 2008, 11:24pm »

April 2008 update.  New paint on the boiler jacket, plus the firebox and steamdome!  A new fire was lit early today to prepare 2317 for the season which begins on April 19, the beginning of National Park Week.  As her steam pressure is rising, the Steamtown crews will analyze how she is to last for the remainder of her flue time.  In the meantime, enjoy the Scranton Limited Trains.

www.project3713.com

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #126 on: Apr 17th, 2008, 7:50am »

What is national Park week? Its good to hear that 2317 will be running again rather then being mothballed.

565fan
Historian

« Reply #127 on: Apr 17th, 2008, 11:37pm »

National Park Week is a nine-day celebration (I know, most weeks are seven days) marking several ways the NPS is valuable to the public.  It is traditionally the beginning of the Steamtown active season, but it can mean special lectures, extra exhibits, added tours and other things that emphasize the environment, conservation, exercise, and just plain getting outdoors.  In Washington DC, the National Park Foundation hands out awards to parks and park activists who made a special achievement in the past year.  Each NPS unit celebrates in their own way, but from what I've heard, Steamtown is one of the few to acknowledge other parks in their exhibits.  Most others promote themselves, which is good, but that misses the richness of the service, and the hundreds of areas we protect.

April 26 is Junior Ranger day, which has the most varied activities of NPS week.  Check out more details at www.nps.gov/stea/

www.project3713.com

PRR460

« Reply #128 on: May 1st, 2008, 5:25pm »

Per some pics posted recently, I see that 2317 is out and about again. BUT will be restricted to the yard yet again this year.  Why?

Similar pics showed 3254 in the backshop.

Joshua

PVMRR76
Historian
  2317stalldr.jpg - 32446 Bytes
« Reply #129 on: Jun 2nd, 2008, 5:44pm »

Well I finally made it to Steamtown on Sunday. Arrived just in time for the final 'Scranton Limited' train of the day with Pacific 2317 doing the honors.  

Gotta love the anti-enthusiast attitude- three car train-everbody MUST ride in the last car away from the engine.

Got a few photos from blah angles in the yard due to a white shirted NPS Police feminazi who was yelling at EVERYBODY (all 13 or so people that is).

Anyhow-- it was nice to see the old Canadian National G-3 in steam. Here is a "Keeper" from inside the engine house on the elevated as they were putting her away. Only got one good one because the NPS Police feminazi came in and yelled we couldn't be up there as the engine is put away...

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Steamtown/2317stalldr.jpg
Click Image to Resize

565fan
Historian

« Reply #130 on: Jun 8th, 2008, 11:53pm »

on Jun 2nd, 2008, 5:44pm, PVMRR76 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Gotta love the anti-enthusiast attitude- three car train-everbody MUST ride in the last car away from the engine.

Got a few photos from blah angles in the yard due to a white shirted NPS Police feminazi who was yelling at EVERYBODY (all 13 or so people that is).

Anyhow-- it was nice to see the old Canadian National G-3 in steam. Here is a "Keeper" from inside the engine house on the elevated as they were putting her away. Only got one good one because the NPS Police feminazi came in and yelled we couldn't be up there as the engine is put away...

Hi, PVM:
If you were on a three car train, the last car actually gives you a chance, for a short distance, to see the locomotive from the third coach, while the train is running.  BTW, 2317 is a Canadian Pacific Ry. engine, not CN... that's no. 3254.  As far  as the "yelling," we at STEA are mainly concerned with your safety.  If you stand in the way of a moving locomotive, and the brakes give out, in the Roundhouse or otherwise, who is going to enjoy your "once in a lifetime" photo?  Even in the 21st Century, we can't guarantee your safety,... only inform you of the inherent dangers of the railroad world.  I already know you are aware of what could go wrong.  Give a little respect to the NPS for caring for your well-being.

www.project3713.com

PVMRR76
Historian

« Reply #131 on: Jun 10th, 2008, 9:27pm »

The "ATTITUDE" was her problem. I don't mind being asked. I DO HATE being yelled at like I'm a 4 year old child. The only other railroad or museum I have visited with someone screaming at people like that is the Oil Creek & Titusville.(They continue yapping for the ENTIRE trip over the loudspeaker about the windows, the seats, the trees, the-arrrrg.)

Anyhow- I'm sure 99% of the staff at Steamtown is great, and I probably shouldn't have posted what I did, when I did, as I don't want to discourage people from visiting a worthwhile institution.
They just have an employee who need a "chill pill" that afternoon.

Canadian Pacific #2317 is a classy old girl, with a loud voice and a melodious whistle. Hopefully Steamtown can find the funds to re-flue and repair her after her 15 years have expired.

Ashley_John
Former Member

« Reply #132 on: Jun 13th, 2008, 7:17am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Jun 10th, 2008, 9:27pm, PVMRR76 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Canadian Pacific #2317 is a classy old girl, with a loud voice and a melodious whistle. Hopefully Steamtown can find the funds to re-flue and repair her after her 15 years have expired.

I wouldn't count on it. There just isn't any funds to be had for a major overhaul of 2317 in the foreseeable future (unless someone steps up to the plate and donates the needed $$$ - highly unlikely).  

JP

The_Former_Fireman
Railfan

« Reply #133 on: Jun 13th, 2008, 4:07pm »

A few things.

1. Nothing official has ever been said about the 2317's 15 year either way.  I'm not sure where this all got started.  It's always "I heard" or "So and so said...".  Maybe it'll get done and maybe it won't.  Nobody knows right now, not even the Steamtown people, and certainly not the railfans.  I'm just always amazed at how these things get to snowballing out of control.

2. Sorry to hear PVMRR76 had a bad experience.  When I was there we had a few bad apples, as I'm sure any place does.  It ruins it for the other 90% of the employees/volunteers who's hearts are really into the place.  It's got it's good and bad points, sometimes I really miss working there, othertimes I'm thankful I left.  I would suggest to ANYONE, rather then getting upset on a forum, get a name, write a letter or make a phone call.  You'd be suprised how seriously most places (including Steamtown)  would actually follow up on something like that.

Dave Crosby

PVMRR76
Historian

« Reply #134 on: Jun 14th, 2008, 6:22pm »

I would delete my earlier post- however it has been replied to, and deleting posts that have replies screws up a forum. I shouldn't have posted it while I was still P.O.ed from the experience.

Back to topic- #2317 and #3254 are fine engines and it would be great to see them continue in steam for years to come.

That said- a couple of AMERICAN mainline locomotives in steam would be a definite draw for more visitors, which of course equals more money for Steamtown. Reatorations cost $$$$$$'s and the current attitude toward Steamtown by Congress is - Pork-Pork-Pork.
They are dead wrong- but any additional funding will be very tough to secure.

martinm1218
Historian
  CP_2317-3.jpg - 74457 Bytes
« Reply #135 on: Aug 8th, 2008, 10:23am »

Hey everyone. Here are some pictures of 2317 from my last visit to Steamtown in 2006. 2317 was in the Roundhouse getting repairs done when I saw her last.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Steamtown/CP_2317-3.jpg
Click Image to Resize

N&W 611 and 1218: The Thoroughbreds of steam.

I also enjoy the NKP, Southern, and VGN.
Here is a link to my youtube videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/m611martin
martinm1218
Historian
  CP_2317_tender.jpg - 72653 Bytes
« Reply #136 on: Aug 8th, 2008, 10:29am »

2317's tender. I plan on going to the Lackawanna Railfest at the end of this month, and I hope to see 2317 and 3254.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Steamtown/CP_2317_tender.jpg
Click Image to Resize

N&W 611 and 1218: The Thoroughbreds of steam.

I also enjoy the NKP, Southern, and VGN.
Here is a link to my youtube videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/m611martin
565fan
Historian

« Reply #137 on: Sep 9th, 2008, 9:55pm »

RailFest 2008 was not 2317's best moment , due to her derailment on Bridge 60 Friday, Aug. 29.  However, she was repaired on the 30th, rolled back in the Roundhouse to get a new fire on the 31st, and ran the yard trains on Labor Day, September 1.  She has returned to the shop a couple of times for minor repair.  I don't know if these repairs were needed because of the derailment or not.  Needless to say, catching the 2 steamers active 2 days in a row is rare.  I wish there was more work found for 3254 this year.

www.project3713.com

LVRailfan1234
TRAINing

« Reply #138 on: Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:44pm »

Can anyone explain what the problem is with 2317 that it can't go on the mainline excursions and when will its problems ever be fixed?   Last I heard it had to do with getting new tires on the drivers??  But that was years ago.   Doesn't an engine like that need a good work out on the mainline once in a while, not merely shuttling around Scranton?

I miss riding behind this engine!

afboone
Railfan

« Reply #139 on: Sep 23rd, 2008, 8:02am »

She has some of her boiler tubes capped due to leaks.  The management decided to restrict her to yard work until they start the 1472 day inspection next year.  The number of tubes that are capped are within FRA limits but management does want to chance a problem out on the mainline.

Steve B.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »