Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 24th, 2017, 11:56pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Engine Discussion: B&M 3713
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Steamtown
(Moderators: NKP759fan, strasburg90)
   Engine Discussion: B&M 3713
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Engine Discussion: B&M 3713  (Read 8693 times)
PENNSY_BOcabeese
Railfan
Re: Engine Discussion: B&M 3713
  IMGP4546_774x518.jpg - 101574 Bytes
« Reply #100 on: Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:13am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

This is the engineer's side of the firebox, only a few more stays to go!!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Steamtown/IMGP4546_774x518.jpg
Click Image to Resize

PENNSY_BOcabeese
Railfan
  IMGP4550_774x518.jpg - 86642 Bytes
« Reply #101 on: Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:31am »

And the last of the 3713 photos from Sunday 6/29/08, show the boiler of the engine, with the fancy air conditioning unit. Even up in the mountains it can be very hot and humid working in a hot shop in side a big steel tube. I'm sure these guys are doing the best they can under the conditions, and the parts supply they are working with.  Progress is still being made, eventhough it can be a bit slow at times, you must remember there is only so many men working in the shop. And they all must be divided up between all the projects going on, along with the regular maintance of the "stuff" running already. The park ranger on our tour said they hope to at least have her steaming for the 2010 NRHS convention. Lets hope the funding and donations continue!!    

ED

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Steamtown/IMGP4550_774x518.jpg
Click Image to Resize

565fan
Historian

« Reply #102 on: Aug 18th, 2008, 12:08am »

August,2008 update:
Thank you, Cabeese, for the photos.  The orange screen with the green jacket show that welding is still going on, this time with the rear portion of the mudring.  The front end is reinstalled, and held in place with nuts and bolts.  The holes are not yet tapped for the new steel of the firebox, so there is no need to rivet the mudring in right now.  The sides of the mud ring, if I heard correctly, will be replaced.  I guess that steel is pretty bad.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #103 on: Jan 26th, 2009, 2:12pm »

January 2009 update:
The mudring is now a solid piece again.  After being cut into four pieces, the knuckles were welded to fill in corrosion cuts.  If you want to get a feel for how deep the cuts in the knuckles were, look at the inside of your fingers as you close them in. The skin folds opposite your knuckles are much like the cuts were in one spot or another.  Once the pieces were welded, they were planed.Some were even replaced.  Each end of the steel blocks was shaped like a "V" facing the end of the next piece.  When they were secured and lined up, the men heated the steel for penetration welding, filling in the "V" until it was solid. Each fill area took about two weeks of nearly constant welding.  Some more of the fire box wrapper sheet needs to be cut out and replaced, with new firebox interior steel waiting for its day to be re-installed.

www.project3713.com

violin1238
Chaser

« Reply #104 on: Jun 18th, 2010, 12:08pm »

Will the convention have any 3713 benefits for the Lackawanna & Wyoming's restoration efforts? I'm just curious. By the way I'm sure many are very pleased with all the work that is currently occuring at Historic Site.

3254Fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #105 on: Jun 18th, 2010, 12:39pm »

The convention committee will decide how the profits of the convention will be allocated. More than likely, a good portion will go towards the 3713.

Moderates: East Broad Top
bigjim4life
Historian

« Reply #106 on: Nov 14th, 2010, 9:01pm »

Alright, so it's been a while - what's going on with 3713 and the restoration?  Any updates?  Now that the normal operating season is done (minus the Scranton Limited trains), you'd think that there would be more time to get work done on the engines...so what's the story going on?  

The_Former_Fireman
Railfan

« Reply #107 on: Jan 22nd, 2011, 9:58am »

As info, we've updated the 3713 website, www.project3713.com , with many new photographs and information on this project.

Dave

violin1238
Chaser

« Reply #108 on: Apr 9th, 2011, 8:32pm »

It has been a long time since I last posted. As a follower now of steam here in the states as well as the Uk. It is nice to see the speed in the 3713 project picking up nicely.  

It is nice to see and here the the boiler stays are nearing completion of being installed in the boiler. This restoration is making good progress. We shall have to see how much progress they make this year. It is going to be a good year for 3713 no matter how yhou slice it. Excitement is beginning to build in the shops as more of her components are being reassembled.

Mike Schur

restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #109 on: May 5th, 2011, 2:32pm »

I just checked the website, and it appears that not much more needs to be done to 3713, in terms of the overall plan.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?  The website didn't really specify in terms of what has to be done, only what has been done.

afboone
Railfan

« Reply #110 on: May 5th, 2011, 3:11pm »

Restore,  The shop/chapter is waiting on the engineers to come up with a plan to fix a crack by the steam dome.  I don't know all the details but it will take some time to plan and get approval for the repair in this area.

restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #111 on: Jun 25th, 2011, 12:24am »

I was told last tuesday during the shop tour that 3713 could be theoretically finished within the next 3 to 4 years, since almost all of the pieces for the firebox have been made (just need bolt holes drilled and bolts installed) and the roof sheet has been outsourced and should be arriving sometime near september.  After that, they just need to fix the crack near the steam dome, if they haven't already (they didn't say), and then its a matter of putting everything back together.  So, I imagine it's possible for it to be done in that time frame, if the work is dilligently done (which is a stretch for steamtown, i know)

afboone
Railfan

« Reply #112 on: Jun 27th, 2011, 9:29am »

RV15,  The last thing is a crack by the water injector on the right side.  There used to be two or B&M moved it.  Well they just put a patch over it and over time the hole started to crack.  They are waiting on the engineers to approve a repair.

We were up on the 16th of June for 565 and they were moving the backsheet? into place.  I think the Chapter has hired new contractors to continue the work on the engine.

« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2011, 7:55am by afboone » Logged
mike_tillger

View Profile  

« Reply #113 on: Jun 27th, 2011, 7:45pm »

There are no new issues with the boiler on the 3713. ALL the engineering for the boiler repairs has been completed and the necessary parts are either on site or currently being manufactured off site. The new contractors are already working on the project, and they are some of the most steam experienced in the US. There is still a lot of work to complete., have some patience please.  

Mike Tillger
Former 3713 contractor

montclaire
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #114 on: Jun 28th, 2011, 1:33am »

Mike, do you consider a three year timeline to be realistic?  How much of the work will be handled by the contractors, and where do they feel the money will run out?  Will the NPS pick up the tab afterwards, or will work be contingent on the L&WV fundraising for the rest over the next three years?
thanks

afboone
Railfan

« Reply #115 on: Jun 28th, 2011, 7:58am »

Thanks Mike.  When I talked to the new guys they told me they were still waiting on the engineers to give them approval on that repair.  I wouldn't put a time line on anything.  You just don't know what will come up on these beasts!

565fan
Historian

« Reply #116 on: Aug 15th, 2011, 10:50pm »

I mistakenly found the other thread on B&M 3713 the other day.  
Here is a fresh photo, taken Friday night, of the rear end tube sheet and throat sheet (the lower portion of the metal)  

www.project3713.com

mike_tillger

View Profile  

« Reply #117 on: Nov 13th, 2011, 8:28pm »

Hand crafting a new syphon neck for B&M 3713 at Steamtown. Gary Bensman's Diversified Rail Services crew is making and installing the firebox components.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFu0AqcmzeI
Check it out in full screen HD

Mike Tillger

mike_tillger

View Profile  

« Reply #118 on: Dec 20th, 2011, 7:50pm »

New Right side lower wrapper sheet was rivitted on today. Looking good!

565fan
Historian

« Reply #119 on: Jan 31st, 2012, 11:15pm »

Here are some photos of what Mike was talking about.

On the day I took these photos, I was more excited about work with the Baldwin 26, so my full attention was not on 3713.    I know.  

Just bolts holding the front end of the piece in place.  The following week, all was riveted except for at the mud ring level.  They will only be put in when the inside firebox sheet is ready.

Pieces of what will eventually become the thermic siphons to replace the originals.  

Old rivet heads were cut off the fireman's side before the holidays in preparation for sizing up, shaping and riveting the replacement.

"New" pieces awaiting their installation sit on the walkway between 3713 and CN 3254.

And this photo, taken a month later, when riveting is nearly complete on the fireman's side.

www.project3713.com

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »