Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 28th, 2017, 9:34pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Steamtown's Short Train Rides
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Steamtown
(Moderators: NKP759fan, strasburg90)
   Steamtown's Short Train Rides
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Steamtown's Short Train Rides  (Read 4072 times)
565fan
Historian
Re: Steamtown's Short Train Rides

« Reply #80 on: Nov 21st, 2012, 8:43am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Last Saturday was the 20th Annual Scranton Jaycees Santa Parade.  The Scranton Limited roared alongside the parade route, which follows Lackawanna Ave. during its 10:30 run.  I took these photos of the 11:30 run.

There's only one week left of steam operations at Steamtown for the year.  Coming up are the Holiday Express/Holiday Limited trains.  The last Scranton Limited is November 30.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #81 on: Apr 26th, 2013, 6:47pm »

http://youtu.be/R0ybaV5ii9s
Sunday, April 21 marked the beginning of the 2013 season at Steamtown with the running of the Scranton Limited train.  Nickel Plate 514 led the train.  Here we see her turn on the turntable, and see one of our legendary engineers plus a few crew members.  Enjoy!  
I look forward to seeing you at the park sometime this season.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #82 on: May 9th, 2013, 10:57pm »

Scranton Limited train operations change on Friday, May 10, 2013. Boarding will still be at the turntable area, but now you will get a chance to ride across the turntable.  Here is a chance to become immersed in another railroad tradition.  The TT used to be a place only for train crews.  The table isn't long enough to turn a locomotive and 2 coaches, but you can still travel over the "sacred ground."  Hope to see you there.

www.project3713.com

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #83 on: Jul 1st, 2013, 11:24am »

The current way that the short rides are being done. train loads when on turntable. I made the video from inside the cab of DL&W F3a 663.
frank
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30431536@N03/9185047292/

« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2013, 11:27am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
565fan
Historian

« Reply #84 on: Jul 2nd, 2013, 11:45am »

Definitely a one-of-a-kind video opportunity!  Thank you for sharing

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #85 on: Jul 3rd, 2013, 7:50am »

Daily operation of the Scranton Limited began on July 1, and will continue through Labor Day, Sept 2.  Then the schedule returns to Wednesday through Sunday.  When in Scranton, take a ride, and if possible, post a photo.  There are plenty of interesting angles from which to shoot this train.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #86 on: Sep 20th, 2014, 10:36am »

It has been a while since I updated here, but an additional mile has been added to some Sunday runs of the Scranton Limited.  We call it the Nay Aug Gorge Limited.  The diesel takes the 2 coaches to the bridge that crosses the Roaring Brook right by the Nay Aug tunnel.  A short program on the geology of the area and the effects of the Ice Age is given.  The  cost is the same as the Scranton Limited, and the response from the public has been really good so far.  

In addition to that, 3 extra days of Scranton Limited trains have been placed on the schedule this week.  Sept 23, 24 and 25, 2014, Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday we are running trains as part of a charter with Erhardt's resort in Lake Wallenpaupack.  Since they need one of the runs, and the crews are assigned for the entire day, all regular visitors benefit.  

Hope to see you here.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #87 on: Sep 25th, 2014, 7:41pm »

This was the view of the train on September 23.

And rolling away from me.  

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #88 on: Mar 15th, 2015, 4:55pm »

The trains ran well into December this year, and the snow that fell after Thanksgiving coated the rocks for this set of Christmassy looking images.  

From this angle, you can see the wreath on the pilot railings of GP9 514.  

These photos were all taken from the top of the Nay Aug tunnel.

514 is being rebuilt now, and will not be ready for the beginning of the 2015 season.  The Scranton Limited and Nay Aug Gorge Limited trains return to service beginning April 18, 2015.  Get your cameras out, since this will be a colorful year of rail action on the line.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #89 on: Mar 22nd, 2015, 11:32pm »

2015's season begins Saturday, April 18, with waived admissions for that day and the 19th as the beginning of National Parks Week.  
The Scranton Limited will run on Saturday, and Nay Aug Gorge Limited on Sunday.  Prices remain at $5.00 for every rider aged 6 and up.  Aged 5 and under, no charge.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #90 on: Apr 26th, 2015, 10:24am »

It was a really cool start to the 2015 operating season, when National Parks Week began with F3 664 leading the Scranton Limited on Saturday April 18 in perfect sunshine.  Great day to be there to ride or chase.  Not many people were trackside. Maybe the weather drew too many people to chase in too many other parts of the country.  I decided to give my telephoto lens a work out on the 10:30 train.

Here she comes up the line approaching the switch at Mattes St tower.

Approaching the soccer field at the University of Scranton.

And crossing over the Spruce St. bridge past the Radisson.  There were a lot of freight cars blocking the view of the train at the Radisson itself.

More photos coming of this first day action.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #91 on: Apr 26th, 2015, 10:49am »

Here is the Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel.  Still looking fine after 106 years.

I also caught 664 on the Scranton Limited with my standard lens.  Here we see her on the hill where the Power House once stood.

And passing over Cedar Ave on the bridge built in 1992 to replace the 1906 bridges.

Later on, coming past the Radisson, and the University campus.

How close can you get?  I was on the concrete wall along the shrubs.

And there it goes... but it will be back in a few minutes

Heading back to the roundhouse.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #92 on: Apr 26th, 2015, 11:08am »

Sunday, April 19 began the year for running to Nay Aug Park in Scranton for the 2015 season.  As in 2014, the yard "stretches" on Sundays by a mile to have a tour of the Nay Aug Gorge, which is a National Natural Landmark.

After the hike of the Davis Trail which leads to the gorge, I went to the top of the Nay Aug Tunnel, just past where the train stops at the gorge bridge. For one reason or another, the telegraph lines went over the tunnel, and cross over a portion of the old Elmhurst Boulevard.

Here she comes.  Rounding the bend.

Another warm sunny day in Scranton.  Close up of the beautifully painted F3.

View from the top.

And backing away to get back to the roundhouse.  

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #93 on: Apr 26th, 2015, 10:02pm »

It is rather slippery on top of the tunnel, so use caution.  However, you can get some terrific angles on the train, since it stops for a 5 minute or so talk from the bridge. Spotted properly, you can see up the gorge a good way.

While the graffiti brings a splash of color to the scene for early Spring, it does prevent you from the idea that it is an historic photo.  

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #94 on: Apr 30th, 2015, 4:44pm »

Last Thursday, April 23 was what we hope to be the final snow of the 2014-15 winter.
Here we see the lake effect snow on its way into Scranton.  I took some photos of the Scranton Limited on the 11:30 run as it ran through the Steamtown yard.

Peek a boo!   Here is the Limited backing onto Bridge 60, and some D-L units sitting a track or two away.

This view shows the train climbing past the old locomotive shop.

The train approaches the station, and at this point, snowflakes are blowing through the open window.  By the time the train was ready for the return to the roundhouse, the snow was in white-out conditions.  No more photos for that day.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #95 on: Oct 21st, 2015, 12:06pm »

Let's flashback to 1999.  Here is Baldwin 26 on yard detail in October.  

Running on the Chamberlain lead back then.  WE are so looking forward to her return in her new outfit.

A new feature to the yard at that time was the Grain Train coming from Chicago via the Canadian Pacific.  D-L had a lot fewer operating locomotives back then.  Many of the grain trains were hauled by CP units until the contract changed in 2008 or 2009.  

« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2015, 11:31am by 565fan » Logged

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #96 on: Dec 17th, 2015, 10:31am »

2015 is quickly coming to an end, and we ran the last of the Nay Aug Gorge Limited trains this past Sunday.  Since I had enough photos from the tunnel, I decided to chase the train to a different location.  

This is a cool shot, and a sign of things to come.  Ash from Thursday's operation of Baldwin 26 sits in the gauge while 664 waits for 10:30 to begin her run to the gorge.

That is the University of Scranton campus the train is passing, and downtown Scranton in the distance.  A very picturesque part of town, if framed properly.

Leaving the University of Scranton behind, 664 and her two coaches enter a slow order area.  This gave me plenty of chances to get the best angle of the train.  If the Phoebe Snow was running, I might get one shot of the train.

Passing under the Harrison Avenue bridge.  The Lackawanna colors and stripes look right at home on this unit.

Roaring off, sort of, into the sunrise.  Three more runs would be made, and then that would be it.  Steamtown will also run the Scranton Limited Trains this coming Saturday, December 19 at 10:30, 11:30 1:30 and 2:30, but not quite this far.  Steam replaces diesel in 2016.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #97 on: Mar 14th, 2016, 9:07am »

The park is getting ready for the return of trains, with the first scheduled run on Sunday, April 17, 2016.  At 11:00, a dedication ceremony of Baldwin 26 will take place in the turntable area.  Around 12 or 12:30, the 26 with a couple of coaches will run repeated Scranton Limited trains on a "load and go" basis, with an end around 4:00 PM.  
This is part of National Park Week, when the $7.00 park entrance fee is waived each day from April 16 through April 24.  Monday and Tuesday are quiet days, with no train operations.
On Wednesday and Thursday, the 20 and 21st, the Limiteds will be led by one of the diesel locomotives.  With every unit undergoing repair, it is difficult to say which diesel will be the lead.
Steam returns on Friday, the 22nd and Saturday.  Sunday will be the debut of 26 on the Nay Aug Gorge Limiteds.  
It looks to be a great year.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #98 on: Apr 24th, 2016, 9:31pm »

And the trains are back!

April 17 began the 2016 season of Scranton Limited trains with seven runs before ticket sales stopped.  The turnout for National Park Week was tremendous.  Since I worked on the trains, I have no photos of the runs, but if you have some, please share.

I did happen to catch a run of the Limited on Wednesday, April 20.  Above we see Baldwin No. 26 steaming away until the conductor gives her the go-ahead.  In the Roundhouse, we see Lackawanna F3 No. 663 sadly watching the other trains have fun.  Violin lessons must be taken, I suppose.

Here we see No. 26 pouring on the steam to get past the walkway at the Radisson Lackawanna Station hotel.  

Beautiful train!

Drifting back, she is passing the Mattes Street Tower.

And now, back at the Roundhouse, a young admirer.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #99 on: Apr 24th, 2016, 9:35pm »

Today, April 24 was Baldwin No. 26's latest challenge.  She had not been tested to run to the Nay Aug Gorge, but she was on the schedule.  With the large turn-out of riders today, a third coach was added to the train for the 11:30 run, with them staying for the 1:30 and 2:30 runs.  

The Nay Aug Gorge Limited trains are only about an extra mile, out and back. However, with limited coal and water, plus limited human resources for the operation, she and her crew were able to make the run.  What will next week's challenge be?  

www.project3713.com

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »